Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

How about a run down Snakepass - Glossop to Sheffield

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2000, 12:16 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if anyone is interested then reply here with you're prefered date and i'll update here.
Old 09 June 2000, 05:45 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Fantastic roads but not a very long drive do ya think!!??. Could do a complete peak district tour - that would be a drive and a half.
Old 10 June 2000, 12:34 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Wink

lee i'm interested, i live in glossop!!!! the snake pass is one of my favourite roads for a quick blat but not long enough for people to travel any distance just to drive it. you'd need a longer route for that, along with a definite date. your then looking at orgainsing a full meet with all the complications that entails.( last meet 73 cars!!! ) if your in the area i'll meet up and go for a spin sometime. if your after organising a full meet i'll offer my services as a helper/ route planner. let me know. pumpers. ( silver my93 wrx)
Old 10 June 2000, 01:15 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 11 June 2000, 12:01 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MTR, didn't make northern meet 3 due to work commitments!!! i'd have loved to have got off my backside!! and joined the fun but i have to earn a living. i enjoyed both meet 1 and 2 and hope to enjoy many more in the future. unfortunately i don't get much spare time to organise a meet but with assistance would be willing to try. anyone out there want to help??? MTR??? pumpers.
Old 11 June 2000, 07:35 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

MTR

Old 11 June 2000, 09:10 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How about Woodhead then the run over the back roads to the Derwent Valley then Snake Pass!( or any combination of the above?

Did most of this the other week on my way back from Oldham to Derby [Scenic Route]

I'm currently organizing my own for the mini midlands meet on Sat 24th June so I appreciate how time consuming & difficult it can be.

Good luck with it, and I'll be there if at all possible

Chris
Old 11 June 2000, 10:41 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pumpers you idler! Where have you been, married and under anyone's thumb?

You and my other half discussed a Derbyshire/Glossop/ Peak district run at the Falcon Manor in Settle, and the pair of you have done nothing about it this Century. If you wanna do it, I'll kick her *** and we can get scouting. Fancy aiming for last week of July or so? Leemac would of course be employed as "consultant" as it "was his idea".

MTR don't be hard on the lad, he did make it through the snow and sheep up to the Yorkshire Dales, unlike some!!!
Old 14 June 2000, 02:13 PM
DRH
Scooby Newbie

Gents,
I am a new member but would offer my services for any reci work etc.. I dont know the details, routes of previous meets, but attended the Midlands meet on Sunday and now have a fair idea of whats needed. So lets get the ball rolling. Just give us the nod if you are planning anything and I will try to help.
Old 14 June 2000, 08:12 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

got my dad over from australia for the next two weeks so can't do anything till he's gone ( haven't seen him for six years!!! ) anyone interested in helping post here and i'll see what i can put together. end of july sounds good barry- leemac and mtr any chance of your help?? drh- your in!! oh god now what have i've let myself in for!!!!
Old 14 June 2000, 11:29 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

is the snakepass/woodhead pass run to far for everyone too get together for the next meet.

It could be a good un!

in fact if anyone tries it, the road on Woodhead Pass that goes to Holmfirth is a belter (at night anyway).

[This message has been edited by LeeMac (edited 14-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by LeeMac (edited 14-06-2000).]
Old 15 June 2000, 12:54 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Ladybower, Snake Pass, Glossop, Torside, Holmfirth/Woodhead, Lagnsett Res. IN JULY!

Good luck with it, can't imagine the traffic being too light though, how about a 4am start?

Chris
Old 16 June 2000, 12:35 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

take it your not coming then CharlieWhisky.

4am start - you come out with some belters

[This message has been edited by LeeMac (edited 16-06-2000).]
Old 19 June 2000, 01:58 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MTR:
<B>....the last BBS publicised Northern Meet 3, was MINE, with 22 cars, not Meet 2, were 73 cars turned up..... Anyone with the inclination, and knowledge of a 40 mile or so run, comprising of some decent stretches of road, can cobble up a half decent route.....I drove over 400 miles doing recces, modifying the route, and showing one of my friends the way round, so it was quite costly in fuel and time......The initial recce was done last year, by myself for Gary Chaplin, and a modified section of my route (modified by Gary, Paul Frank and Darren Gartside, to avoid some narrow lanes I had proposed, to add some bits on and take the Denshaw, Dobcross, Uppermill, Greenfield, Holmfirth road, Meltham, Slaithwaite section off to shorten it somewhat)was used on Meet 2. I then modified my original route it and decided to publicise it myself, for Meet 3......MTR[/quote]

Easy, anyone can do it, but you need the time to drive 400 miles taking notes??

Slightest hint of sour grapes? 'YOUR' meet Vs 'Their' meet? The '73 car meet' was superb, well organised route sorted (as I understand) by Paul and Darren, well overall organised by Gary, why the slagging off about it? Has to be the biggest scooby event away from a race track/national events.

Bitching about 'YOUR' meet being better will only put others off from doing other meets. Grow up and enjoy the world of scooby doo. I didn't come to 'YOUR' meet because I didn't know about it until the day before. Try publicising it better, seemed to work well for Gary?
Old 19 June 2000, 04:50 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

LeeMac

I'm coming all right, it's just the prospect of negotiating the summer weekend traffic around Ladybower
[The '4am start' was said with tongue well embedded in cheek]

I'm currently hoping the weather turns sour for our East Midlands meet on Saturday; Less Traffic = more room for Scoobies

Chris
Old 19 June 2000, 11:29 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

Old 20 June 2000, 08:30 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Martin, given it was Gary who told me about 'your' event the day before it happened, (including where and when to meet etc) when I asked him when his/the next meet was, I think you may be owing an apology for your above comments.

I thought the RS boys were pathetic and bitchy.
Old 20 June 2000, 12:27 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Now now girls, there's no need for this.
Anyone got a route we could try?
And i'm free on the 2nd July.
Any takers
Old 20 June 2000, 08:12 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

Old 20 June 2000, 11:15 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

the weathers hot, youre supposed to chill out, this is like euro 2000.
England out!!!!!!!
fans? they must ban english from european away games.
anyway back to....oh bollox to it
Old 21 June 2000, 10:42 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Leemac 2nd of July is Euro 2000 final day, so I'm travelling to Milton Keynes (work that one out!) that's why I proposed end of July.

I'm happy with August or even September if you local bumpkins think the tourist traffic might have died down by then.

I enjoyed Northern Meet 2 and 3, I had suggested to Gary that I had a route in mind (as we live locally to where he was thinking of), although I did not drive it, like Martin did. The route I would have suggested was pretty well the one Martin (MTR) did. Some slightly narrower sections than NM 2 but very scenic and a good bunch of people turned up again.

It was the people I met there that prompted me to attend the recent Midlands meet at Tamworth, accompanied down the M1 by Martin.

This is all a huge laugh isn't it. What a car! On the BBS I always assume everyone knows what they are talking about. They usually know more than me.
Old 21 June 2000, 10:32 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Sticks and stones...

I have far too much in my life to get overly bothered by what is obviously a raw nerve.

I enjoy my car, love it in fact. I enjoyed the meet, and hope to go to plenty more. I give credit where its due, and thanks likewise. I have opinions like everyone else, just don't slam me for having them.

And what about Scoobysport? everyone I have spoken to seems to rate their products very highly and are probably best around, but the same people seem to be of the opinion that the customer service sucks from a mail order perspective. Delivery times, no credit card ordering, lack of returned emails/calls/faxes, broken promises etc. opinions I was given, and now pass the info on. Isn't that what we all crave? shared knowledge? Jeez, don't shoot the messenger just cause he doesn't fall in line. I was warned of hate campaigns toward anyone who didn't buy into the SS culture, didn't think it would happen though!

Take a chill pill MTR, and don't take life so seriously. There is no conspiracy theory

PS - time of your last post, why weren't you watching the football?
Old 21 June 2000, 11:53 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

Old 22 June 2000, 09:28 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Vitriolic attack? If that's how you saw it then I am sorry. I was making comments and observations, and didn't intend any acrimony.

Transferal of information is key to increasing knowledge, opinions are to be taken as such, not gospel. If you don't with to believe other peoples opinions, don't. I take one persons comments with a pinch of salt, especially when they appear to be approaching malicious, but when you hear the same story from so many people..? as they say, no smoke without fire!

Perhaps my comments about SS were out of line for some quarters, I have mailed Peter Croney on this. They felt valid and assistive at the time, and regret is a waste of valuable time!

Bygones.
Old 22 June 2000, 05:16 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

Old 24 June 2000, 10:17 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Perhaps this 'Snake Pass Run' needs a new thread guys?

Chris