Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Update on West Yorkshire Impreza security Alert by West Yorkshire Police

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 09:26 PM
Diane Taylor
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on West Yorkshire Impreza security Alert by West Yorkshire Police

This is an update on my previous warning (which some members thought was a hoax!) In addition to this bulletin there will be a local press release tomorrow.

Since February this year, there have been 16 offences where front lights, grill, bonnet and whole front bumper assembly have been stolen from vehicles with 5 so far in October. All vehicles have been parked overnight on the drive or road outside the owners houses. Vehicles targetted have been Impreza Turbo and Sport models, P to Y reg. It seems alarms are not being activated as these thefts are going undisturbed and most cars of this type would have alarms and bonnet sensors.This is still peculiar to the Huddersfield area as far as West Yorkshire is concerned.

If you have any information or require advice on crime prevention, contact Huddersfield Police Station or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Diane Taylor
Vehicle Crime Analyst
Huddersfield Police Station
Old 25 October 2004, 09:36 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Dianne.

Thanks again for taking the time to update us.. however it's taken, I for one appreciate your time and effort in bringing anything like this to our attention, and I can vouch for you being quite real..

p.s. I may be in touch shortly as we've done a roaring trade on those stickers.. I'll let you know..

Al.

Last edited by Alan C; 25 October 2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 25 October 2004, 09:43 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Shocking news Diane, good luck in catching them

In Hull we are having troubles with people trying to steal spoilers and they are even coming back to try their luck a 2nd time round after failing 1st attempts! would you believe the cheek of it!

Its such a shame that you cant have anything nice without someone trying to ruin it
Old 25 October 2004, 09:57 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan C
Dianne.

Thanks again for taking the time to update us.. however it's taken, I for one appreciate your time and effort in bringing anything like this to our attention, and I can vouch for you being quite real..

p.s. I may be in touch shortly as we've done a roaring trade on those stickers.. I'll let you know..

Al.
Seconded! Thanks once again Diane.
Old 25 October 2004, 10:13 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Seconded! Thanks once again Diane.
And again thankyou hope you catch the low life before they cause someone proper grief by trying to go after the whole car after breaking in for the keys.
Old 25 October 2004, 10:53 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thats quite worrying...Huddersfield ain't that far from me...
Old 25 October 2004, 11:02 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Hope they come round this neck of the woods these w@*kers want more than locking up
Old 26 October 2004, 12:00 AM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

P to Y reg. Aren't they all face lifted classics ? I think a few classics did leave the showroom on a Y plate. And didn't they all come fitted with a Cat 1 ? How they are getting the bonnets off without alarm sounding is what baffles me.

Try and keep this near the top guys cos everyone in West Yorks with a classic needs to know about this very real threat to their cars.
Old 26 October 2004, 01:30 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

AFAIK There's someone at our place in Huddersfield that's just had these ***** visit and remove all / bits of his front end - I'll try to find out some more info if it helps although they might already be logged on the system as a victim
Old 26 October 2004, 06:28 AM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Originally Posted by Apple
AFAIK There's someone at our place in Huddersfield that's just had these ***** visit and remove all / bits of his front end - I'll try to find out some more info if it helps although they might already be logged on the system as a victim
IIRC someone in the WYIOC had this happen to his car after there last meet ?
Old 26 October 2004, 07:10 AM
imprezadan1
Scooby Regular

hi guys,the same bloody thing is happening in sheffield with BMWs my moms bf has just had all the front end of his bmw knicked,agian it was parked on his drive and the alarm never went off,sheffield police have actually said someone from the main dealer is giving details of your address and exact model of car to these tossers(after u have took your car has been to the dealer for something) apparently on the bmws u can get round there high tech alarm by an overide switch on the car which disarms it,only bmw and emergency services should know where this is????
Old 26 October 2004, 09:36 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

There was a spate of wheel thefts from Fords in Liverpool some years ago, all the alarms where deactivated and all the HIDDEN wheel locking kits where found and guess what it was traced back to a sc#mbag at a main dealers, he was giving all the details out to the thieves.

My new SAAB was targeted in a raid at my house for the keys, the sc#mbags produced a gun, they didnt get my car but went after a further 4 cars the same night, all the same model and all from the same dealership,nothing was proven but it does make you wonder, so much so that my dealer doesnt now know my new address and when i told him my suspicions he agreed with me.
Old 26 October 2004, 05:08 PM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

BTTT for the evening.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:01 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question is though - what happens if they get caught? - slap on wrist and thats all

they should make them pay for the replacement parts on all cars which were affected before being thrown in with Mr Ben Dover
Old 26 October 2004, 08:27 PM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

Car thieves' top target now the sporty Impreza Oct 26 2004

By The Huddersfield Daily Examiner

A TEAM of thieves are targeting a prestigious kind of sporty car in Huddersfield.

The thieves have been stealing headlights, fog lamps, radiator grilles and even bonnets from Subaru Impreza cars across the area.

They are also bypassing the cars' in-built security systems to carry out the crimes late at night.

Det Con Jim Carter, of Huddersfield police, said: "There have been 16 thefts in Huddersfield over the last nine months, with the thieves targeting T to Y-registered Imprezas.

"This is not happening in other parts of West Yorkshire, which leads us to believe the thieves are based in Huddersfield."

Det Con Carter has now urged Impreza owners to be extra-vigilant and think about adding extra crime- prevention gadgets to their cars.

He added: "If anyone in the motor trade or members of the public know where these parts are going, we would be very interested in hearing from them."

A spokesman for Subaru dealers R N Golden, based on Wakefield Road, Grange Moor, said his theory was that the thieves may be targeting the equipment to fix to their own cars.

"They may have older Subarus and are stealing the front bits from newer models to save themselves a lot of money," he said.

"It could be they have damaged their own cars, and so are stealing from others to save the cost of repairs."

The spokesman said one man had been targeted twice and the cost to replace headlights, side lights, fog lamps and colour-co-ordinated grilles can be as high as £900.

Anyone with information should phone Det Con Carter on 01484 436716.
Old 27 October 2004, 12:36 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

16 thefts of this sort in Huddersfield and the local Subaru dealer reckons they're doing it to fix their own cars?

Sound fishy to anyone else?
Old 27 October 2004, 12:45 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelH
16 thefts of this sort in Huddersfield and the local Subaru dealer reckons they're doing it to fix their own cars?

Sound fishy to anyone else?
Pre-facelift model owners, wanting a 'cheap' upgrade....
Old 27 October 2004, 08:51 PM
silver sonic
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not just Huddersfield.
a mate of mine had his headlights sidelights , and grillnicked about 3 weeks ago in Dewsbury.
tossers know what they are after, for easy resale or their own upgrades.
my mate has a MY97 face lift .
he had replaced light with later crystals , which they took .
but left fogs as they were earlier non crystal.
bonnet not lifted , just unbolted lights from front .

car was parked on his drive right next to window where his wife was asleep.
(she goes down stairs because he snores)
(some guard DOG!)

13amp extension from kitchen onto car should keep em away
Old 27 October 2004, 09:05 PM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

Its definitley low life sprucing up old wrx's etc. But to have done so many in such a short space of time without disturbing the owners is almost unbelievable.

13 amps to front grill would light em up like a xmas tree. Oh if only you wouldn't then be seen as a bigger criminal that the theiving scum.

Martin