Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Heads up - ABP Motorsport, Shavington, Cheshire.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 11:02 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Heads up - ABP Motorsport, Shavington, Cheshire.

ABP were highly rated by a few northern netters when I asked about them a month or two ago, so I took the car ('00MY Turbo, just out of warranty) there for a routine 7500 mile service the other day. Also had grooved Tarox front disks and fresh pads fitted.

These guys are meticulous. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and a fair trek from my neck of the woods, but as thorough as it's possible to get, IMHO.

Taking the car back in a couple of weeks to have the "fast road" geometry setup.

Cheers

Kev (n Wales)

Last edited by cefski; 28 February 2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 29 February 2004, 04:31 AM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

how much is the fast road set up going to cost?
Old 29 February 2004, 04:57 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
how much is the fast road set up going to cost?
Basic Subaru spec setup is £111ish. Proper fast road/track setup is just shy of £150. Lots more work involved with the latter, I'm told. I'm going for the fast road/track option.

Kev

Last edited by cefski; 29 February 2004 at 04:59 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something...
Old 29 February 2004, 10:49 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Prodrive tarmac settings should cost £75 + about an hours labour, make sure you have a full tank of fuel as well as this is required to do a proper geometry setup.
Old 05 March 2004, 09:32 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Had the fast road set-up on mine about a month ago - its £120 (but they cocked-up and charged me for a standard spec set-up £111) The car feels so much better now and you will definatly feel a big improvement. It took them around 2.5 hours to do (longer than I thought it would considering I had just fitted Eibachs so all of the suspension bolts where free and covered in anti-seize). This is just because they were very thorough - you can watch them working from the shop, they take the car out for a couple of test drives - before and after. Once complete they went through the sheet with me showing me the previous settings and the new settings and what they had to do to adjust them, tyre pressures etc...
I cannot comment on tyre wear with this set-up as it has not been long enough to judge that yet, but they assured me when I was booking it in that there would be very little extra wear.
My step dad has just had it done on his WRX (factory settings were way out)! and it has made a big improvment on that to.

Ayde
Old 07 March 2004, 10:20 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ayde
My step dad has just had it done on his WRX (factory settings were way out)! and it has made a big improvment on that to.

Ayde
Same thing with mine - nearside front wearing excessively on the inside edge. Left turns are also very understeery, but it's more or less planted on right turns. Oh, and it also pulls to the right a little (or is it left? can't remember ). Mentioned all of this to the main dealer when I went for a service a few months ago. Was told that the geometry was as it should be.

I have a 9am appointment at ABP next Saturday for the fast road/track setup. Can't wait to get it done, but I'm not looking forward to the 7am start.

Cheers

Kev
Old 13 March 2004, 03:42 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Just got back from ABP having had the geometry set up.

The car has been transformed; from front-heavy scrubby understeerer to an agile, surefooted beast of a thing. It's hard to believe how much better the car feels. I did a proper test on the evo triangle (as I was passing) and the speeds that I was able to carry confidently through the bends scared the **** out of oncoming traffic and gave me many a giggle. The leg up to The Sportsman's was a joy, so much so, that i did the loop again. Twice

Yep. I'm a happy man. Best £111 I've ever spent, I think.

Cheers

Kev
Old 13 March 2004, 07:44 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

It does what it says on the tin One of the best mods you can do to your Scoob, only draw back is I find the steering a bit light now for motorway driving, maybe a little tweak of the type pressures will sort that.
Old 14 March 2004, 12:41 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Yep - I've noticed that too. Steering seems much lighter at anything over about 85 - 90 mph. Noticed it before I got to the triangle, but after driving the triangle three times this afternoon, and doing my local run this evening, light feeling steering at motorway speeds is a very small price to pay.

If you have standard showroom geometry settings on your Imp, you absolutely HAVE to get this done. Simple as that.

Cheers

Kev