Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Scoobyevents - calling all organisers

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2003, 01:09 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some will think this is a good idea, others will think it's pointless but I've decided to give it a try anyway. I've created a web site http://www.scoobyevents.co.uk to produce a summary of finalised events throughout the UK by region to make it easy for the scooby community to see what's planned at a glance.

If you wish to add an event, providing it has been discussed first on Scoobynet or SIDC or any other scoob forums then please feel free to add your even on Scoobyevents, I've tried to make it as easy as possible with clear instructions.

Once submitting your event it will be added within 24 hours, I also have plenty of webspace to add event photos if required for those memorable occasions.

Any questions or suggestions for the website please feel free to mail me.

Cheers

Maddy
Old 22 September 2003, 04:26 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Old 22 September 2003, 07:46 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Great idea mate, but as an event organiser, I am not sure that this is the way to go.
I feel that you have to chat first with the people involved before you can just turn up to something.
Eg: The smacs meet this week is at my house, watching dvds! I don't really want a horde of people that have read about it, desending onto my little cul-de-sac and into my home! So, that would not be something I would put up there.
On the otherhand, our "normal" meet, is at a public house, and all are welcome, so I would probably put that up on your site.
Apart from that, ditch the music on the home page, and have you got permission to use the Subaru picture off thier website?
chris
Old 22 September 2003, 08:17 PM
Golden Oldie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Mate,

As Chris says, but a few other bits...

Why make the event organiser copy and paste a form into an email they have to create? just set up a submit form either using a cgi script or, better still, using .asp get it to write straight to a database

Cheers, Jon

Ps. for Chris!! You can press stop to turn the music off without reaching for your voulme control
Old 22 September 2003, 08:21 PM
Golden Oldie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pps. I have sent you an event but I will happily write you a formail type submit page - does your host support the formmail.pl script?
Old 22 September 2003, 08:34 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

golden, I saw that stop button at the bottom, but if I want to listen to music on while I'm surfing, I use winamp!
Sorry, but one of my pet hates on the net is sound effects imposed on me by webmasters.
chris
Old 22 September 2003, 08:37 PM
Golden Oldie
Scooby Regular

Wink

fair do's

I once spoke to a guy who worked for an engineering company. He had asked me to have a look at the site he had put together for his boss. When I asked him why he had the theme tune to the Exorcist playing on a loop he replied that he did not even know it was the theme tune and that he put it on as he thought it sounded cool

Needless to say it went

Trending Topics

Old 22 September 2003, 10:02 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Fair comments, As for discussing events first this is something I am in total agreement with from the start. The web site is purely for a summary level for finalised events with links to the discussion threads, suppose it's more like a top level GUI Calandar.

The CGI idea is also a fair comment I'll add that making it easier for input and verification, probably using ASP or Java.

And guess what the music has gone , suppose I just added that for show but it had no real function tbh.

I'll keep adding in the emails and hopefully have a front end within the next few days to replace it.

And then it's just dependant on the organisers on adding in the info, It might end up being a flop but suppose there's no harm in trying.

Thanks for your emails and comments

Much appriciated

Maddy

Old 22 September 2003, 10:48 PM
Golden Oldie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maddy,

Sorry if original posts were a bit caustic...having had a further nosey around it is quite clear you have invested a lot of time and effort into it

If you are going to make it database orientated, could you make a field in your table be for the region? This would allow the query for a particular area to show only those events where the field matches the particular area...What I'm getting at is it would be nice to have in one view a look at all the events going on in the whole of the UK i.e.under another query called UK

keep up the good work fella
Jon
www.LegacyReguster.co.uk
Old 23 September 2003, 02:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmm, peace and quiet, nice one m8, cheers. I will get round to posting up some of our meets as soon as we have the EVO weekend out of the way,
chris
Old 23 September 2003, 06:54 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

BTTT for a great idea