Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitness and Diet

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2014, 08:45 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
Are you saying guys (and girls)are only taking anavar due to it being easy to get hold of and cheap?Really?Not because its a miracle drug then?It's gentle on the liver (especially when taking milk thistle),read up about them,doctors prescribe it to patients.OK so maybe it's a bit silly of me to recommend taking steroids to a stranger,but, I certainly recommend reading up about them.Do it properly and safely, even if just a short one off course to shift some excess fat for a "head start".Perfect for a busy guy who asked the original question.
Good luck in achieving all your goals
Utter ****e.

Winstrol (stanzolol) is extremely hepatotoxic, and as already stated, it's hard on your kidneys too.

Even that aside, you're messing with your hormones FFS!

I've tried just about everything i could because I had the knowledge, access to everything and little regard for my health (really bad combination that!) but I wouldn't mess with hormones, just not worth it.

To be totally honest, stimulants are effective. However, they're dangerous, easily life-threateningly so, and, awful nasty side effects.

But, nobody needs to be going down that route before they've given diet and exercise and fair go.

Last edited by Ellie*; 17 March 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 17 March 2014, 09:49 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Ellie* I was talking about anavar (as you qouted above), not Winstrol.

I do like your last sentance, fair comment but I thought this thread was about a guy who doesn't have time and struggles with an a1 diet...

I personally have had no side effects on anavar (as expected) nor has any of my 20+ mates I know that's on it.Doctors wouldn't prescribe winstrol, but they do Anavar - it's safe!!!.Saying life threatening is cringing,I've said all along to do it properly and safely, you sound like an old fashioned granny.I wont comment on here again as it's turning into an awkward read for others.
Good luck getting ripped!!
Old 17 March 2014, 10:02 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Lmfao.

It'd be irresponsible to say any drug is 'safe', and especially when I was talking about drugs that directly speed up your heart rate
If that's not blindingly obvious as to why that could be dangerous then I'm not wasting my time explaining.

I'm not speaking as a granny, I'm speaking as someone who's trained in pharmaceuticals AND has tried pretty much every weight loss supplement you could think of, and more. I couldn't be further from an 'old fashioned granny' if I tried.

Don't be so ridiculous, you haven't got a clue.

Last edited by Ellie*; 17 March 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 17 March 2014, 10:19 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Btw, oxandrolone isn't licenced in the UK so a doctor wouldn't prescribe it.
Old 17 March 2014, 10:23 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Again thanks everyone for your suggestions and advise.

I don't have Sugar in my brews although I do have a sweet tooth.

I started my new eating regime yesterday by chance really as I was still rough from the previous night's pi$$ up 

Diet Yesterday:
3 Ginger Nut Biscuits and Tea with Milk
1 x Sainsuburys Tuna Fish Cake, Leaf Salad, Beetroot, Peppers, Coleslaw and New Potatoes.
3 more Brew through the day and a glass of milk.
Total Consumed 1400 calories (according to the Pal app)

Diet Today:
Coffee with Milk
Chilli and Rice for Dinner
Jacket Potato with red Onion and Small amount of Cheese
4 more brews up to now.
Packet of chewing gum
2 glasses of water
Total Consumed so far 1748 calories (according to the Pal app)

Yes I know this is not the best Diet, but yesterday I was extremely rough from drinking until 3am Sunday, so the Ginger biscuits dipped in my brew took me an hour to eat! Sounds bad but this is all I could digest without wanting to return to bed! I'm not one for drinking! The Tuna Dinner around 5pm was a nice addition to the day and almost fixed me.

Today I was up at 07:30 for work (still delicate), I had a Coffee, and set off to work, it was quite a busy morning, so although I know it's wrong I skipped Toast or cereal that I had promised myself at 09:30 and worked through until 12:30 and had some Chilli and Rice. Worked again through to 17:30 where I had a Jacket Potato. I haven't eaten anything else although I do feel a little hungry, and I have drunk plenty over the day. I can't say impressed with what I have eaten so far today, but then I am working 15 hours today and I am on my feet a lot so it will have to do.

As for me then: I am a Shift Manager for a large manufacturing business, so my days are full of me walking about, and some admin. So on an average 8 hour day I would walk anywhere between 1-15 miles Yes 15 miles, I can quite easily be testing on a process and need to put my walking boots on treck the day. I enjoy walking about so that's no trouble. In fact I have been known to spend days with my lads labouring, so 10 miles of which half are lifting and carrying products.

I have a family (wife and two kids), we do get about a little but not as much as you or I would like because my lad is disabled, but we do enough to ensure he gets exercise, but unfortunately a 2 mile walk kills him and he ends up on my shoulders (good for me), but he is not always happy about the situation.

I enjoy foods, and enjoy cooking, so to be more adventurous is no trouble. We don't experiment as much as what we should. I intend of fixing that. I have bought myself some Mackerel for Dinner tomorrow, and I will likely have Poached eggs for Lunch before I set off to work. I also intend on joining the Gym in the morning 

I don't Smoke and never have, and I'm not a big drinker, in fact I'm almost a binge drinker as bad as that sounds as I don’t drink at home, I'll never say I don't drink at home ever as clearly I have some drinks in for Xmas etc, but I am a social drinker and only ever drink when I am with company, other than that I am happy to have a glass of milk or a brew. When I do out I can of fall back into my youth way of thinking and 12 pints can be the normal with all sorts of other drinks thrown in. I'm not so much as an animal, but just like to enjoy myself when out with company, and when I am around my Army mates it can get a little silly.

As said above I have downloaded the app my fitness pal; as suggest by someone (thanks whoever that was) and already my thoughts are towards what I ingest. If I can I will upload my diary. Rob

Sorry for any Typo's, I wrote this on a laptop, then edited on my phone and its buggered it up!

Edit.

Last edited by Rob Day; 17 March 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 17 March 2014, 10:26 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Lmfao. It'd be irresponsible to say any drug is 'safe', and especially when I was talking about drugs that directly speed up your heart rate If that's not blindingly obvious as to why that could be dangerous then I'm not wasting my time explaining. I'm not speaking as a granny, I'm speaking as someone who's trained in pharmaceuticals AND has tried pretty much every weight loss supplement you could think of, and more. I couldn't be further from an 'old fashioned granny' if I tried. Don't be so ridiculous, you haven't got a clue.
Save your breath. I've seen this a hundred times before, someone gets a few tabs of EASILY available steds, takes a couple of courses and responds really well with no initial sides. This lulls them in to thinking they've discovered how to manage the steroid risk/benefit ratio. Then they tell anyone who'll listen how the risks of steroids are hugely blown out if proportion and they're only dangerous if you go silly.

The truth is there's no free lunch. The more effective a steroid the harsher the side effect. Those side effects may not become apparent until years later. Having experienced the 'magical' effects of steroids users invariably progress to harder and more potent stuff. They still feel they're in control, cycling the use and undertaking careful blood work and post cycle therapy. The truth is shoving synthetic crap down your throat and in to your veins isn't natural or safe. You're shutting your own bodies hormones down. Placing extra stress on organs and creating mental and emotional issues. Furthermore any gains you make whilst on the 'juice' you lose twice as quickly as natural gains.

The bottom line is (in my opinion) anyone who thinks steroids are safe if used in moderation, is misinformed and deluded.
Old 17 March 2014, 10:34 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Last post I promise

Prescribed by doctors.... in some cases to even treat liver damage!!

17hr shifts.....

"I'm speaking as someone who's trained in pharmaceuticals AND has tried pretty much every weight loss supplement you could think of"

Maybe we should compare abs then LOL!!

Your earlier post sounded like you hadn't even tried anavar??

Anyway this is terrible for others to read,let's agree to disagree.It works for me so I hoped to be a help to Rob (without killing him!!)

To any others including Rob be safe (in everyway) read up about anavar there's loads online and you wont find a bad review and most of all get shredded for summer!
Old 17 March 2014, 10:58 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Just read from this website:
http://www.anavar.com/

It has some mild side effects associated with it as well. Side effects occur when you take it for a very long period of time and in more quantity. Major drawback of Anavar is that it is too costly, although available in black market but one cannot be so sure of the authenticity of it bought from there. As it is DHT and due to this hair loss and acne can occur. But hair loss only in men who have got this hair loss disease genetically transmitted. There could be high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels but only for those who are not living a healthy life style and these diseases are not transmitted genetically to the users as well. Due to the non aromatizing nature of Anavar it has taken side effects of water retention and Gynecomastia out of the equation.
Reads as quite off putting when you don't know who your buying from, you don't know the authenticy of the product, and has side affects. I think going Natural is the only way to work my issues, but thanks for the input
Old 17 March 2014, 10:58 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smiffywhu
Last post I promise

Prescribed by doctors.... in some cases to even treat liver damage!!

17hr shifts.....

"I'm speaking as someone who's trained in pharmaceuticals AND has tried pretty much every weight loss supplement you could think of"

Maybe we should compare abs then LOL!!

Your earlier post sounded like you hadn't even tried anavar??

Anyway this is terrible for others to read,let's agree to disagree.It works for me so I hoped to be a help to Rob (without killing him!!)

To any others including Rob be safe (in everyway) read up about anavar there's loads online and you wont find a bad review and most of all get shredded for summer!
Dude why you pissing about with Var, why not got to the real stuff and get on the trenbolone acetate train
Old 17 March 2014, 11:15 PM
Type_R_1984
Scooby Regular

I think anavar is one the most safest steroids you can take and one of the few steroids that a woman can even take but I'm no expert and wouldn't advise going down that route unless you really want to.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:17 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
Save your breath. I've seen this a hundred times before, someone gets a few tabs of EASILY available steds, takes a couple of courses and responds really well with no initial sides. This lulls them in to thinking they've discovered how to manage the steroid risk/benefit ratio. Then they tell anyone who'll listen how the risks of steroids are hugely blown out if proportion and they're only dangerous if you go silly.

The truth is there's no free lunch. The more effective a steroid the harsher the side effect. Those side effects may not become apparent until years later. Having experienced the 'magical' effects of steroids users invariably progress to harder and more potent stuff. They still feel they're in control, cycling the use and undertaking careful blood work and post cycle therapy. The truth is shoving synthetic crap down your throat and in to your veins isn't natural or safe. You're shutting your own bodies hormones down. Placing extra stress on organs and creating mental and emotional issues. Furthermore any gains you make whilst on the 'juice' you lose twice as quickly as natural gains.

The bottom line is (in my opinion) anyone who thinks steroids are safe if used in moderation, is misinformed and deluded.
Yup, exactly, which was why I summed it up as "utter ****e".

Misinformed is an understatement. As is stupid!
Old 17 March 2014, 11:24 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

I've had experience with dbol and test. Amazing stuff to be honest. Not going to promote it but they do work but as they guy said above u do lose those gains quicker and are harder to maintain. Also there are sides to them. They can be used "safely" under the supervision of a doctor but I won't be going near that stuff anytime soon. Il be sticking to natty for atleast 5+ years. It all comes down to your goals. I personally think u don't need to take steriods unless ur some sort of pro bb and competing.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to get this thread back on track as it was quite productive for a while.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:38 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

Hang on a minute Veer, I've never touched dbol and test or even mentioned those,they are a lot more "hardcore"!!!It's a big difference to Var too, this guy is trying to lose weight not become the incredible hulk.Anyway Rob isn't interested in steroids so as John said lets talk diets.....

This is/was a really interesting thread until I piped up (sorry all) back to the point......
Old 18 March 2014, 08:15 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A chap asks for some advice on exercise and diet, it descends into a completely irrelevant debate on steroids; which are absolutely bloody stupid.

Let's steer this one back shall we...
Old 18 March 2014, 09:02 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Must be roid rage
Old 18 March 2014, 09:04 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Lol sorry lads
Old 18 March 2014, 09:06 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
[/URL]
That isn't a bad start Rob, I suppose it depends on how you feel about yourself, if you have a lack of energy, sugar cravings etc. What do you want to do, lose a little weight and maintain/improve on muscle mass in order to have a lower body fat %? If so, you need to swing a bit more protein in there and drop the carbs a little. As I said a few posts ago, personally for me, my ideal is a 40/30/30 split but overall, I'm somehwere inbetween 35-40% of my calories from protein, 30-40% from carbs and 20-30% from Fat. This balance especially when exercising allows me to drop body fat % whilst maintaining/improving muscle.

So you can swing this around in calories if needs be, if you're an office worker with little exercise, with a BMI of say 22-30 your daily requirements just to live and get by otherwise known as your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) will be around 1900-2000cals a day. Eat this 2000 and you'll stick around the same weight, eat less, you'll lose weight. On a 2000 cal BMR, you should be looking to eat around 1600cals a day to lose 1-1.5lbs a week, obviously it fluctuates if we add in exercise, we can either eat more or lose more weight, but if you were to eat just 1600cals a day and lay in bed for a week not moving a muscle, you would find yourself weighing about a pound less after that week. You dont really want to be losing more than 1.5-2lbs a week if you're trying to lose weight, slow and steady, rapid weight loss like Atkins style plans very rarely work in the long run, a lot of the losses are water and muscle and as soon as you start eating normally again, the weight piles back on.

So 1600 cals a day to lose weight, but you want to lose fat and keep muscle, that's where your Protein intake is key, many people on diets forget about protein and go like a bat out of hell on the treadmill and not only do they lose fat, they also lose quite a bit of muscle mass, not good So if you want to stick to say a 40/30/30 (P/C/F) it translates to 640cals coming from Protein, 480cals coming from Carbs and 480cals coming from Fat which makes up your 1600cals.

Calorific content of the macros =

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

640 cals from Protein at 4cals per 1 gram = 160g Protein daily in order to best protect your muscle mass
480/480 cals from Carbs/Fat = 120g carb / 53g Fat

So daily requirements for a 1600 cal per day intake on a 40/30/30 PCF plan would be..

160g Protein
120g Carb
53g Fat

Probably a bit too much in depth for Mr Joe average but shows you the maths behind it. This balance really does make you feel on top of the world, no sugar cravings, no tiredness, no mood swings, better sleep patterns, never hungry, weight loss and muscle retention/gains

Last edited by LEO-RS; 18 March 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 18 March 2014, 10:47 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

While it's fairly in depth Leo, if you use MyFitnessPal it is really quite easy to manage and track, especially when you have your regular meals already loaded in and saved.
Old 18 March 2014, 10:54 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I would say that helped was when doing weights if your doing
3 x 10 reps, do a 4th rep but drop the weight by about 25% and do it untill failure I could really feel the burn using this
Old 18 March 2014, 11:21 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
While it's fairly in depth Leo, if you use MyFitnessPal it is really quite easy to manage and track, especially when you have your regular meals already loaded in and saved.
True SB, helps when the majority of your foods are saved in, takes seconds to do.

If anyone is using this app, you can change your macros by going in through the website (I dont think the app has this functionality) selecting goals, change goals and then custom and you can set your calorie intake and individual percentages for Protein/Carb/Fat

It's a very good app if you use it correctly, food diary that only takes a few seconds to update
Old 18 March 2014, 11:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

An app to track what you eat?

Old 18 March 2014, 12:29 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Plenty of good info here Rob

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brewster26.htm
Old 18 March 2014, 01:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jesus, weight loss has gone rather scientific these days.

I'm old school eat less do more, three meals a day, drop carb intake, up protein, no sweets, chocolate, crisps go easy on the booze.

Get out of bed earlier drink a cup of green tea do some stretching, few sit ups, press ups, get some light dumbells and move them about a bit, then go for a 20 min walk at a quick pace, 40 mins per day.

Jobs a good un.

Punch bag is also very good for the rainy days, nothing knackers you more than fighting.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 18 March 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 18 March 2014, 01:46 PM
andy_rr
Scooby Regular

My take on this comes from my own probable good fortune with having genes that mean that I've never been larger than a 30" waist although I;ve in the main been fairly active and played sport or exercised whilst I was fairly inactive exercise-wise in my early 20s.
Until I was about 19 or so I was pretty sporty and from mid-20s on I cycled competitively and have now swapped the competitive cycling for recreational running whilst still cycling 140miles per week to and from work - I am currently 70Kgs and 46 years old and I'm seeing the much shorter runs having a positive effect on my weight which I think has replaced the effect that 1 or 2 2-4hour weekly high-intensitivity bike rides used to have (don't have the time now).
A few things :
Avoid eating too much crap - been said here loads but in general I see people around me eating no more often than me but they are eating the high fat/sugar foods such as crisps, sweets (doughnuts and the like), they put butter on their bread, have big chunks of cheese etc
I'd rather have 1 square of dark chocolate than a Mars bar or a Galaxy. I don't enjoy eating a greasy curry now - I'll have a Tikka/Tandoori chicken curry if I am at an Indian.
Avoid having these tempting high-calorie foods in the house - just don't buy them !

One alternative viewpoint : IF (Intermittant Fasting)
Is this a viable route - http://www.leangains.com/, I.F. seems to have some viable reasons for working such as the body's insulin sensitivity in the morning which means that a breakfast just kick-starts the body's desire for yet more food, also the suggestions that IF can have a beneficial effect on other health-related issues such as cell growth etc. Also it might well be simpler to use IF than to try and work out your required calories for your day.
The OP was looking, if I read him right, primarily to lose weight - becoming ripped is very much a lower priority issue. If he loses weight/fat then inevitably he will look better/more defined no ?
The perceived thinking certainly has, for a long time, been that to become less of a fatty you just eat less/exercise more but it does seem that it is not quite so simple and there are a lot of associated things that can influence why a person becomes overweight.
Old 18 March 2014, 06:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Ideally yes I would like to be ripped as you put it, but to be honest I need to get my mind set right first, getting my diet right first is important to me as I do like food, and yet getting exercise although important is something that I have to hold back on as I cant guarantee the time. I know this may sound lame, but it is simply a case of having the spare time. I work odd shifts that can sometimes lead into unsociable hours, like for instances yesterday I started at 9am, and finally walked out of the building gone midnight.

I know all this might sound like I am making excuses, and to be honest I have been quite lazy in the past by not doing fitness when I had spare time, but I am now looking to correct this.

Ideally I will start walking, jogging and cycling to work very soon, and as for the GYM I made myself a member this morning with the intention of starting in the morning. Like I said before I am not keen on Jogging/Running as my knees simply don't like it. Maybe once I have lost weight, and got more muscle on my quads I will be better at it, but the days of me running for the time being are gone. Its not as though I haven't tried, it more of a case of is it worth it considering I'm usually in quite a bit of pain after the first 1/2 mile due to a lack of cartilage.

Anyway today consists of Poached Eggs on toast x 2 with minimal clover butter and plenty pepper. Several Cups of Coffee, and I'm now going to get some Dinner to sustain me for my last 6.5 hour shift.

Rob
Old 18 March 2014, 11:05 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Don't be afraid to ram yourself for breakfast. Obviously don't eat crap, but show no fear in getting 1-2 whole eggs with 2-4 additional whites down you (in which ever way you like them (except fried obv)) The best possible time to fill yourself to bursting point with protein and med-low GI carbs is first thing. Study after study have shown that participants lose more weight on a big breakfast diet and eat less during the day. Treat yourself tomorrow morning
Old 19 March 2014, 10:57 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I got the fitness pal app on my phone and over the last 2 days put in what I've eaten and I've walked for about 60 mins last two mornings. I know walking isn't much but its a start and I don't want to go too hard to quickly and give up.

The app gave me a target of 1500 cals a day and I don't get anywhere near that.

I was thinking that as I don't really need to lose weight other than a bit on the belly my big thing is I want to be broader so I guess I need to concentrate on weights. Being out the house is tricky with my kids so I'm thinking of buying some 2nd hand gym stuff and putting it in the garage. I'm looking at these - cheap stuff just to see if I can make this regime stick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3011255363...84.m1423.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2614236034...84.m1423.l2649

Would these be worth getting?

I also looked at these protein shake drink thinks - MaxiMuscle cyclone was in Tesco but its well expensive. Are these shake things any good?

Oh, and a GF of mine swears by this insanity work out thing. You can see a difference when she does it but she is quite athletic and sheds fat quickly.
Old 19 March 2014, 11:53 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

What is a good time to weigh yourself in?

I can't recall the time I first weighed when I was conscious about my new diet, but either way I was 14st9lb.

Yesterday morning I was 14st4lb, and today I'm 14st2lb, both weights are pre food and drink.

Rob
Old 19 March 2014, 01:08 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
What is a good time to weigh yourself in?

I can't recall the time I first weighed when I was conscious about my new diet, but either way I was 14st9lb.

Yesterday morning I was 14st4lb, and today I'm 14st2lb, both weights are pre food and drink.

Rob
Your weight can and will fluctuate a few pounds from day to day especially in the first few weeks. As long as there is a gentle trend downwards then it's all good. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning before breakfast, use the same routine for weight checks.

Getting into a routine for working out, whatever the exercise is, will take about a month. By one month you will see signs of muscle toning and an improvement in cardio fitness. This is when good feel endorfins start to kick in and you want to work out more. Steadily increase your workouts and make sure you have rest days aswell.

Keep it going and 6 months from now you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago. I know I do, I have never been so fit and I am pushing 50. I can run rings round my teenage kids

The upside is my kids now want to come and cycle/train with me so it has a positive example for them to strive to beat their old dad, haha.

Last edited by andy97; 19 March 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Fitness and Diet