Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Did you hear the one about the motorway pub?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2014, 07:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you hear the one about the motorway pub?

They serve beer by the litre.

http://news.sky.com/story/1198269/mo...ite-opposition
Old 21 January 2014, 10:05 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't see the problem with it myself

how many services sell cans of beer anyway?
or how many pubs or garages are just off a motorway junction?

aren't passengers allowed to drink either?
Old 21 January 2014, 10:45 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave

Exactly, just because there's a pub on the motorway doesn't mean people are going to drink and drive more than normal, if they are going to do it then they are going to do it, regardless if it's on the motorway or a B road.
One question I've allways wanted to know and I have asked a copper this before, what happens if I get caught drinking alcohol at the wheel and I'm not over the limit when they breatherlise me? He told me to stop being stupid and wasting police time!
Old 21 January 2014, 10:57 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan wrx
One question I've allways wanted to know and I have asked a copper this before, what happens if I get caught drinking alcohol at the wheel and I'm not over the limit when they breatherlise me? He told me to stop being stupid and wasting police time!
You can either stop drinking it, or carry on drinking it. Once you are no longer drinking it, the police officer will ask if you've had a drink or eaten anything in the last twenty minutes. If you answer "Yes", he will tell you that he needs you to wait 20 minutes before providing a specimen of breath. You can choose to do it sooner if you wish. If you pass the test, he'll likely recommend that you do not continue your journey, though he cannot stop you. If you fail, you'll be off to custody to provide specimens there.

I've told the story plenty of times on here. Whilst training to use the roadside units, we had to take a tiny amount of whisky, less than a cap full from a miniature bottle. I blew massively over the limit on that tiny amount. Out of 16 of us, no-one passed, despite having various builds and body weights, having consumed various meals etc.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:02 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You can either stop drinking it, or carry on drinking it. Once you are no longer drinking it, the police officer will ask if you've had a drink or eaten anything in the last twenty minutes. If you answer "Yes", he will tell you that he needs you to wait 20 minutes before providing a specimen of breath. You can choose to do it sooner if you wish. If you pass the test, he'll likely recommend that you do not continue your journey, though he cannot stop you. If you fail, you'll be off to custody to provide specimens there.

I've told the story plenty of times on here. Whilst training to use the roadside units, we had to take a tiny amount of whisky, less than a cap full from a miniature bottle. I blew massively over the limit on that tiny amount. Out of 16 of us, no-one passed, despite having various builds and body weights, having consumed various meals etc.
Thanks a lot for clearing that up mate, did you have to wait the 20mins before doing the test?not that I drink and drive or anything just allways wanted to know, and when I did get the chance to ask they just said I was being stupid. I take it the penny under the tongue trick don't work either.

Last edited by Dan wrx; 21 January 2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added 20min part
Old 21 January 2014, 11:14 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for clearing that up mate, did you have to wait the 20mins before doing the test?not that I drink and drive or anything just allways wanted to know, and when I did get the chance to ask they just said I was being stupid. I take it the penny under the tongue trick don't work either.
We took it immediately after sipping the whisky and then 20 minutes later to compare. The reading went up for some people.
Old 21 January 2014, 11:20 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
We took it immediately after sipping the whisky and then 20 minutes later to compare. The reading went up for some people.
Bloody hell, wouldn't have thought a little cap full would've done that much. That's really good to know actually. I've often had a pint and then a couple of hours later drove, (I know I said I've never drunk and drove but i meant been pis**d) knowing that I would've probably been over the limit is shocking.

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2014, 12:23 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Exactly, just because there's a pub on the motorway doesn't mean people are going to drink and drive more than normal, if they are going to do it then they are going to do it, regardless if it's on the motorway or a B road.
It's called enabling. If a person trying to give up cigs is offered cigs every minute of the day, it doesn't mean they will smoke...but it makes it much more likely!
Old 22 January 2014, 07:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozyDave

BoozyDave agrees with the sale of Ale ..

Personally I think it's a retarded idea, people are weak and stupid and although I don't drink and drive, I know lots of other people do and frankly, the quality of drivers on the motorway at the moment is shocking.
Old 22 January 2014, 07:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a carvery and a pint, few sips before eating then ate my meal, got stopped on the way home by plod in a panda, apparently there had been a robbery involving a subaru, it was like a movie scene one behind then a few moments later another (traffic) came and blocked me in and searched the car, did the usual "how can you afford this car" bollax, because they could smell the alcohol and were p!ssed they didn't find any drugs they breatalysed me, I passed with flying colours, so not every one fails and i'm 5'11" and 12/13 stone, so not exactly huge, may have been a different story with a couple of shots of whiskey though.

P.s There was no robbery reported in the local press.
Old 22 January 2014, 09:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bloody hell, wouldn't have thought a little cap full would've done that much. That's really good to know actually. I've often had a pint and then a couple of hours later drove, (I know I said I've never drunk and drove but i meant been pis**d) knowing that I would've probably been over the limit is shocking.
Would depend if it were Heineken or special brew
Old 22 January 2014, 01:26 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Edit cocked that up!

Was just going to say that breath tests have been shown to be unreliable when food is thrown into the mix. Richard Hammond or Quentin Wilson did an experiment showing that with a meal you could consume way more than you'd normally fail on an empty stomach. It was either red wine or beer they did the test with. Have tried searching it out on Youtube but no joy. I nay have imagined it, therefore fail.

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about. If there are spates of problems the license is taken away and that experiment gets chalked off as a failure. It 's not like it's the first pub near a motorway/dual carriageway/road is it. For me it's all about Costa at services. I'm sure it'll be great for coach trips though.

Last edited by daveyj; 22 January 2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 23 January 2014, 01:37 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by daveyj
Edit cocked that up!

Was just going to say that breath tests have been shown to be unreliable when food is thrown into the mix. Richard Hammond or Quentin Wilson did an experiment showing that with a meal you could consume way more than you'd normally fail on an empty stomach. It was either red wine or beer they did the test with. Have tried searching it out on Youtube but no joy. I nay have imagined it, therefore fail.

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about. If there are spates of problems the license is taken away and that experiment gets chalked off as a failure. It 's not like it's the first pub near a motorway/dual carriageway/road is it. For me it's all about Costa at services. I'm sure it'll be great for coach trips though.
I remember watching that. It was hamster in France vs a French bloke of similar build. They both drank 5 pints of Stella. One ate, the other only had crisps or nuts. The one that ate blew under the limit. The one that didn't was way over.

The way I see it is that the limit is utter bow locks. Alcohol affects different people differently.

One person could have half a shandy and be a danger on the roads and another could have 3 pints and be perfectly safe.

It's time we employed sobriety tests like they do in the USA.
Walk the line, do your ABC's, Memory tests, touch nose with both fingers etc.

Some say that the Zero Alcohol lobbyists are correct, All I know is, They are idiots.
Old 23 January 2014, 07:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jods
The way I see it is that the limit is utter bow locks. Alcohol affects different people differently.

One person could have half a shandy and be a danger on the roads and another could have 3 pints and be perfectly safe.

Originally Posted by jods
Some say that the Zero Alcohol lobbyists are correct, All I know is, They are idiots.
Well done there, pointing out people can be dangerous after a shandy and then calling the people who want Zero limits idiots ..