Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Condensation in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2014, 07:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Condensation in headlights

Wondering if I can remove the light, the bulb and dry it out, seal it up and save myself some cash ?

Anyone got any experience of doing this? I have the AFL's fitted and it keeps causing them to error.
Old 21 January 2014, 10:54 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have had this problem.I have fixed it.It is a bit of a pain but there is plenty of advice in here.

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-a...headlight.html

Good luck
Old 21 January 2014, 11:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, removal of classic light is easy, BUT you need to know where the water is getting in, or it WILL return.

I would remove them, clean the outers and inspect MINUTELY. As a matter of course, replace the rear seals if they even look old, but certainly wash and dry them to remove debris that might stop it seating/sealing.

Then run a bead of Carafax all round the space where the clear part of the light meets the rear. Carafax: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40 Don't use silicone or stuff like Tiger Seal. Excess Carafax can be cleaned off the glass with white spirit.

Now stand the lights on their glass faces, bulbs and rear covers off, in a warm place for a day or so. Small packets of silica gel lowered in on string also help. The warmer the place the better.

Once dried out, take them down to a low temperature, like outside now, then refit bulbs and covers and refit to car.

HTH
Old 21 January 2014, 12:13 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

remove the rubbers and leave the headlights on a while to dry them out then replace the rubbers.

Or get some silica gel pouches and put them in your missus tights (without her wearing them!!) then put them in the light for several hours. (use tights or string etc as it means you can get them back out easily!!)
Old 21 January 2014, 12:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For over 40 years I battled damp in headlights .... I never really won.

A hairdrier blowing into the lamp helps dry it out super fast .... longer term, a small hole drilled in the bottom of the reflector seems to work too.
Old 21 January 2014, 01:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheers, oven idea any good?
Old 21 January 2014, 04:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It'll dry them quicker, but can also soften the glue.

The main thing is to stop water getting in again, and allow in only dry air before putting in bulbs and rear covers/seals. Strictly speaking, once they are dried off in an airing cupboard, put them in a freezer overnight...you don't get much drier than in there: the air is too cold to hold any moisture.

But get them dried out, then sealed. I had moisture in a rear light on my 98 car for a couple of years. I'd dry it out, I even soaked it out with paper towel twists held on lengths of copper wire. Stood it in baking sunlight, open, all day. Yet it always came back.

Eventually I tried sealing it with Carafax. I found a sort of dimple in the top, looked like it had been dropped on something hard. tried blowing through it: nothing. But smeared it with Carafax: no more water!

Give it a try. My 98 car has no water in the headlights, despite having had them split and resealed.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Good old Volvo ,

They had headlights which the glass - yes we had glass back then , none of this plastic stuff which was held in place with spring clips,

Pop off the spring clips, clean the glass and reflector & re assemble

Mart