Old 17 January 2014, 10:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weight Loss Surgery

Apparently up to two million could be eligible for it in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25766253

Who the **** pays for that, that's what I want to know

Surely it would simpler & cheaper to take their go-karts off them & bar them from Greggs first
Old 17 January 2014, 11:30 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed.

I'd also like to know what the rates of 'reoffending' are? Or gastric band breaks.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wonder what the cost of gastric surgery (including consultations and follow up visits etc.) is, and what would be the cost of institutionalising those in a controlled environment (i.e like a fat camp )where food and excercise regieme are strictly enforced.

I suspect the difference wouldn't be that great.

I mean obesity can be caused by a mental condition so surely it would be right to section the most severe under the metal health act.....it would also seprate the link from unhealthy environments where the providers (usually parents) keep giving them excess food.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:32 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I vote do nothing. If people want to be unhealthy and die early, why should we stop them?
Old 17 January 2014, 01:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
I vote do nothing. If people want to be unhealthy and die early, why should we stop them?
On a social scale there is a terrific economic cost to people being obese, mainly because of the poor health which is more likely to occur.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
My main irk is the NHS cost of obesity related conditions and the cost of ongoing treatment due.

I'd quite happily support a system where the NHS will no longer fund treatment for obesity related conditions to those who refuse or make little or no effort to lose weight.

The same should apply for drinkers, druggies and smokers too.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
My main irk is the NHS cost of obesity related conditions and the cost of ongoing treatment due.

I'd quite happily support a system where the NHS will no longer fund treatment for obesity related conditions to those who refuse or make little or no effort to lose weight.

Slippery slope though. Refuse to treat people who have sports injuries? People who get hurt in car crashes (their choice to drive)? Hard to say absolutely what is because of a 'lifestyle choice' and what isn't.

I think a putative tax on high calorie/ fast food might be a good idea.
Old 17 January 2014, 01:42 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
On a social scale there is a terrific economic cost to people being obese, mainly because of the poor health which is more likely to occur.
But a reduction in pension costs lol
Old 17 January 2014, 01:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Refuse treatment to them until they slough off few stone , minimum 25%

And prosecute oulets for flogging them stuff online / delivered, and 'carers' also
Old 17 January 2014, 03:10 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The problem is that there is no link between their behaviour and cost of treatment. This is why a health insurance system is better. Let people be free to be as fat as they want, but they pick up the cost for increased medical care. People who want to live healthily get a discount. Simples
Old 17 January 2014, 06:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Yes, but I'm with this.............>

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Slippery slope though. Refuse to treat people who have sports injuries? People who get hurt in car crashes (their choice to drive)? Hard to say absolutely what is because of a 'lifestyle choice' and what isn't.

Old 17 January 2014, 07:24 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

That's because you are an idiot. You want to punish me when I don't have the problem. You want to push up the cost of eating to the genuine poor. Nicely targeted, thanks - NOT!
Old 17 January 2014, 07:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Weight loss surgery is not available in our area, so some patients go privately. A considerable amount of follow up and dealing with complications for months and often years afterwards falls into the NHS GP's lap such as conversion to and from difficult to obtain and costly liquid meds, infections, post op symptoms or complications, nutritional deficiencies, electrolyte disturbances, psychological fallout.
Old 17 January 2014, 08:17 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Weight loss surgery is not available in our area, so some patients go privately. A considerable amount of follow up and dealing with complications for months and often years afterwards falls into the NHS GP's lap such as conversion to and from difficult to obtain and costly liquid meds, infections, post op symptoms or complications, nutritional deficiencies, electrolyte disturbances, psychological fallout.
So its much more effective to target the problem before it gets out of hand. Would something like CBT for eating have an impact do you think?
Old 17 January 2014, 08:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

fat is not a desease, its being to lazy to keep yourself active and eating too much like a pig.

Im not saying thats every case, but 99% are
Old 17 January 2014, 08:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen evidence that CBT works for obesity. Dieticians want us to give leaflets instead of refer to them.

I have mixed feelings on obesity. In some people, telling them to stop eating as much is about as much use as telling a teenager not to **********, and we should demonise neither. Others could clearly try harder.

I predict that there will eventually be genetically engineered therapies to treat obesity which target gene expression or gut hormones influencing satiety.
Old 17 January 2014, 08:38 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Part of the problem is that when some of these fat c***s look in the mirror, they just see a c**t.
Old 17 January 2014, 09:03 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
So its much more effective to target the problem before it gets out of hand. Would something like CBT for eating have an impact do you think?

**** and ball torture??

**** and ball torture (CBT) is a sexual activity involving torture of the male genitals. This may involve directly painful activities, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_play, genital http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_spanking, squeezing, ball-busting, genital flogging, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urethral_sounding, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickle_torture, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_electrostimulation or even kicking.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_and_ball_torture#cite_note-1 The recipient of such activities may receive direct physical pleasure via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadomasochism, or emotional pleasure through knowledge that the play is pleasing to a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadomasochism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_%28BDSM%29.

Old 17 January 2014, 09:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You've corrupted the meaning of that three letter acronym forever in my mind, and replaced the concepts of self referential ideas and automatic negative thinking with urethral play and erotic electrostimulation
Old 17 January 2014, 09:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Education is lacking.

Food industry puts sugar into everything to make it taste nice.

Advertising impresses upon us the importance to eat junk food. It's cool to drink that sugary shïte they call coca cola with friends and we're all loving it at McDonalds.

Many of us are fundamentally programmed to pack the calories away and like our food.

Many people are just plain stupid and claim not to care.

The cost of treating these conditions will continue to soar. Diabetes is going to bankrupt the NHS the way things are going. The knock on effects basically knacker everything in the body.

Weight loss surgery is not without its risks (look at the groups who undergo it) but could potentially be a way of lowering the burden. It is cheaper and easier to provide an elective procedure than deal with the long term of multiple emergency treatments subject to the decline associated with chronic conditions.

Unfortunately weight loss surgery needs further study in large numbers and needs to go hand in hand with an educational assault on the ever growing population.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:48 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen evidence that CBT works for obesity.
Wikipedia gives a link saying it does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti...e-WilfleyDE-41 which is why I asked on your current practice
Old 17 January 2014, 10:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Off to look to drive my coach and horses through it...
Old 17 January 2014, 11:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The coach got through without even scraping the wing mirrors I am afraid, from reading the reference from Wikipedia and going two references deep from there to available meta analyses of good quality I only found data to show limited short term benefit for psychological interventions in children that often was only followed up to 2 years. Many of the studies to 10 years of follow up showed an effect size that wasn't statistically significant. Proxy end points to show effects of the interventions abound, such as empowerment indices rather than showing reduced BMI or reversal of obesity. None had cost effectiveness analysis. None showed benefit beyond the period of intervention that would justify the expenditure and the waning effect over time.

So the null hypothesis rules here and I would not spend taxpayer's money on CBT for obesity. It might have a role in the short term in children, but the psychologists seem busy seeing the anorexics and self harmers.

I am very cynical about behavioural change as those with obesity related illnesses that are obviously killing them very rarely put the fork down. We're talking amputations and heart/respiratory failure still not changing behaviour.
Old 17 January 2014, 11:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen evidence that CBT works for obesity. Dieticians want us to give leaflets instead of refer to them.

I have mixed feelings on obesity. In some people, telling them to stop eating as much is about as much use as telling a teenager not to **********, and we should demonise neither. Others could clearly try harder.

I predict that there will eventually be genetically engineered therapies to treat obesity which target gene expression or gut hormones influencing satiety.
CBT, fatties on small engined motorbikes ?
Old 17 January 2014, 11:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I prefer post #18 definition!
Old 17 January 2014, 11:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
That's because you are an idiot. You want to punish me when I don't have the problem. You want to push up the cost of eating to the genuine poor. Nicely targeted, thanks - NOT!
We already have various 'sin taxes', on booze, petrol, cigs, etc. So the idea isn't new.
Old 17 January 2014, 11:54 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Invasive surgery like that is no joke. Personally, I think - if I was obese - that I would be scared enough to 'go straight' by the prospect, and go on a diet instead. But then today people treat surgery as routine with various elective stuff such as various plastic surgeries.
Old 17 January 2014, 11:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I thought CBT was Computer Based Training?
Old 17 January 2014, 11:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I am very cynical about behavioural change as those with obesity related illnesses that are obviously killing them very rarely put the fork down. We're talking amputations and heart/respiratory failure still not changing behaviour.
Like alcoholics or smokers. George Best was down the pub after his liver transplant.
Old 18 January 2014, 12:15 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something which will never happen on the NHS.........However we do spend a lot of money on Baryatric equipment.

For example, the cost to the NHS if they decided to fund dental implants for teeth lost to neglect would hit 240 Billion in the first year. roughly twice it costs to run the NHS as whole..

Shaun

Last edited by Midlife......; 18 January 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Weight Loss Surgery