Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Power shower electrics | One for a qualified sparky / plumber?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2014, 05:17 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power shower electrics | One for a qualified sparky / plumber?

One for a qualified sparky / plumber I feel...

In the ground floor extension to the side of the family home, I have a shower room, it currently has an electric shower of sorts, it is one that just uses electrickery to push the water out with some urgency, doesn't heat the water, so is reliant on the tank in the upstairs airing cupboard / immersion heater.

It's not the best setup and is better than the non-electric predecessor shower, but it's getting noisy and I think it's the impeller that's going to fail.

Now the shower run's off a domestic cable and not whatever the big juicy cable is that you have to use on a proper power shower. My dad tells me there is no legal way to run such a cable from the fusebox to where the ground floor shower is.

I've drawn a really really crude sketch of the jist of the ground floor layout, is there a way of doing it that would comply with current regs?

Old 15 January 2014, 05:27 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

can you not go under the floor upstairs, or even in trunking upstairs where its seen less,
or do you have a cellar ?
Old 15 January 2014, 05:44 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
can you not go under the floor upstairs
I'm lead to believe this is not acceptable regs wise?

or do you have a cellar ?
Sadly not, If only I lived at Downton Abbey

There's a loft, but getting the cable into it on the staircase side of the house would be a PITA trunking wise, and then on the other side the shower room is a groundfloor only extension so would mean coming down an outside wall?
Old 15 January 2014, 05:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa

First I've heard of that, as long as it's clipped and any route through joists is drilled 50mm from the top or bottom I thought it was acceptable.
Old 15 January 2014, 05:57 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Something to do with such a cable running horizontally across a house? To be honest although my dad was once upon a time plumber, he's also a tight ******* and it could well have been a ploy in part when i was growing up to avoid £££ kilowatt power shower usage...
Old 15 January 2014, 05:59 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Why would you remove a power shower and replace it with an electric one...thats a backward step,either get a new pump or get your pump checked as you could be drawing air or have a restriction on the inlet side of the pump ..hence the noise
Old 15 January 2014, 06:06 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
Why would you remove a power shower and replace it with an electric one...
I don't know what thread you've been speed reading, but I can assure you this damn place has never had a power shower, the whole point is, that I want one
Old 15 January 2014, 06:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Can it go externally? At sufficient depth and armored? Run it around the back of the house.
Old 15 January 2014, 06:41 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know what thread you've been speed reading, but I can assure you this damn place has never had a power shower, the whole point is, that I want one
Eh ? Im confused now. You have a power shower (an electric pump that uses hot water from the immersion tank) but you want an electric shower (needs a bigger cable as it heats the water , usually off the main cold water feed) ?

The cable can go anywhere in or around the house , but I cant go horizontal burried in a wall.
Old 15 January 2014, 07:17 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Well maybe you are the confused one fella...your shower runs off the hot water tank...its pumped by a pump with a noisy impellor ..its a mixer running off your tanks...,this makes it a power shower....An electric shower is not by definition a power shower its an instantaneous shower ...anyway crack on I only tried to help as you asked for qualified plumber/electrician which I am
Old 15 January 2014, 07:23 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

As Charlie has said, the description you have given is for a power shower, just a crap one

If your hot water supply is OK, just replace the pump with a newer more efficient one. You don't need a large cable for that. The reason electric showers need a hefty cable is because heating that much water that quickly requires a massive huge amount of current.

A decent power shower with a good hot water feed beats an electric shower every time
Old 15 January 2014, 08:50 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I have a Watermill Osprey II - it doesn't heat water as said, it is on the way out. Rather than rebuild it, I'd love hot water on demand, to achieve this, if possible I want a shower that:

A: doesn't need mains pressure
B: will heat the water up

My current one works off a 5amp plug, one that heats water up needs a beefier cable as I understand it, this is what i was referring too as a power shower, if that's incorrect then apologies for that!
Old 15 January 2014, 09:09 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I have a Watermill Osprey II - it doesn't heat water as said, it is on the way out. Rather than rebuild it, I'd love hot water on demand, to achieve this, if possible I want a shower that:

A: doesn't need mains pressure
B: will heat the water up

My current one works off a 5amp plug, one that heats water up needs a beefier cable as I understand it, this is what i was referring too as a power shower, if that's incorrect then apologies for that!
You're taking a backwards step. You must have hot water in the house(if not ,could you explain why).
Putting in an electric shower means you will be paying twice to heat the cold water & as people have said a power shower will out perform an electric shower.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you have is a power shower. What most people call an electric shower is a rather poor comparison, typically about 9.5kW with a fat cable you could hang from which feels more like three straightened coat hangers together and has typically a >=40A circuit breaker but still has rubbish flow.

You are changing you car for a three wheeler and sticking a Porsche badge on it if you go this route, strongly suggest have your present arrangement repaired/renewed and save yourself a world of hassle and disappointment.

Last edited by john banks; 15 January 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:37 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

I have both types , an electric shower is handy in the summer when the heating hasn't warmed the water , the shower piped off the hot water is good in the winter when the water is warm anyway (may aswell use it)

Remember if your current power shower relies on your hot water , and you have to put your immersion on , there is still an element heating the water so may not make much difference energy wise compared to a new "electric" shower. Though I am not sure how they compare in the energy use TBH
Old 15 January 2014, 09:38 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

We seem to be content with a warm dribble in the UK.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

There is always a solution, it all depends on whether you are prepared to pay for it.
Old 15 January 2014, 09:44 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

when the tank in the airing cupboard isn't enough for more than one shower or hot water has been depleted - i find myself waiting an hour or so before being able to use it. This is why I hanker after a shower unit that will be able to keep on giving hot water
Old 15 January 2014, 09:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
What you have is a power shower. What most people call an electric shower is a rather poor comparison, typically about 9.5kW with a fat cable you could hang from which feels more like three straightened coat hangers together and has typically a >=40A circuit breaker but still has rubbish flow.

You are changing you car for a three wheeler and sticking a Porsche badge on it if you go this route, strongly suggest have your present arrangement repaired/renewed and save yourself a world of hassle and disappointment.

Yup. I think the maximum flow through a 10kw electric shower is about 5l/min.
Old 15 January 2014, 10:18 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
but it cant go horizontal burried in a wall.
yes it can, as long as it's in a 'safe zone', in earthed steel conduit or more than 50mm below the surface of the wall

Something to do with such a cable running horizontally across a house?

of course it can be run horizontally, how else could you install a cable in a house? under downstairs floor (supported where possible or laid on the ground), above ceiling/under floor, just drill joist's near centre, leaving a minimum of 50mm above and below and clipped where necessary. or through the loft, cable should run vertical through insulation, horizontally across timbers and vertically through insulation

you could run it external with either SWA cable or using 10mm Twin and Earth in 25mm conduit to protect the cable

have you got RCD on your consumer unit? if not you will need a separate RCD unit

and yes, I am an electrician

Last edited by BoozyDave; 15 January 2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 10:30 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

thanks BoozyDave

the fusebox under the stairs has pop out fuses rather than a modern consumer unit, in the ground floor bedroom which was originally a garage, is an RCD box (i think) that is where the front out door lighting runs from.

most of downstairs is concrete floors beyond carpet, or tiled.

Last edited by riiidaa; 15 January 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 10:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Yup. I think the maximum flow through a 10kw electric shower is about 5l/min.
Yep. To put it in perspective the shower in my old house had a 18ish litre/min flow rate (hot+cold mixed). To get that flow the gas combi boiler is rated at 35kilowatts just to heat the water on demand which even then only manges 14litres a minute @ 40 degrees temp rise.

The central heating only needed 12kilowatts!

The kilowatt rating to heat water on demand with gas is not really any different to that of direct electric...you need a lot of kilowatts for decent flow rates. And that's where electric heated showers fail miserably... Even against a good gravity stored system

No on demand electrically heated shower exists that can heat water at the flow rate you'd get from a pumped stored water system or a high output (28kw+) combi boiler.

Cost of running one is no cheaper - so long as pipes and tank are well lagged and the timer and temp controls are set and working properly.

I currently have a shower capable of 40litres a minute (via a unvented hot water tank) not intentional - just over did the spec a little it'll run out a 300 litre tank of hot water in 15 minutes the main reason for this was the shower head was designed for a gravity system, so has very little restriction therefore when boosted by mains pressure ( or a booster pump -in the OPs case) it flows too much water and depletes the hot water store too quickly - the answer is to ensure the shower head matches the flow and pressure, so you get a good shower without running out of hot water.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 16 January 2014, 06:29 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
yes it can, as long as it's in a 'safe zone', in earthed steel conduit or more than 50mm below the surface of the wall

of course it can be run horizontally, how else could you install a cable in a house? under downstairs floor (supported where possible or laid on the ground), above ceiling/under floor, just drill joist's near centre, leaving a minimum of 50mm above and below and clipped where necessary. or through the loft, cable should run vertical through insulation, horizontally across timbers and vertically through insulation

you could run it external with either SWA cable or using 10mm Twin and Earth in 25mm conduit to protect the cable

have you got RCD on your consumer unit? if not you will need a separate RCD unit

and yes, I am an electrician

I was keeping it simple mate. I assume that is what his dad was referring to with regards horizontal wiring or he himself picked it up wrong , also I doubt he will be galv piping it ! And good luck burying the cable 50mm deep , there will be no wall left.

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 16 January 2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 16 January 2014, 06:51 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

URL=http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/CharlySkunkWeed/media/random%20stuff/20140115_190140_zps351910ba.jpg.html][/URL]URL=http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/CharlySkunkWeed/media/random%20stuff/20140115_190222_zps8c6a7754.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 16 January 2014, 08:53 AM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I was keeping it simple mate. I assume that is what his dad was referring to with regards horizontal wiring or he himself picked it up wrong , also I doubt he will be galv piping it ! And good luck burying the cable 50mm deep , there will be no wall left.
I didn't say galv, you can get black and White plastic, a lot easier to use.

If you have an RCD, check the A rating and cable size first.
Old 16 January 2014, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've misunderstood too, then.

"POWER Shower": one that runs off PUMPED water from a tank or boiler.

"ELECTRIC shower": one that takes mains cold water at mains pressure and heats it electrically, but does NOT pump in any way.

If I'm not mistaken, you have the first of these?

And the pumps do NOT require massive heavy duty cabling, they take a maximum of about 500W, so can be run off a ring main.
Old 16 January 2014, 05:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The crazy thing with expensively putting in a fat cable for an electric shower in this situation is that if you reduced the flow of the power shower to match the trickle from the electric shower, you could probably use it for about 30 minutes on a 210 litre tank.

Having two oil boilers, one combi, one conventional, with their own oil tanks, I notice the seasonal variation from heating hot water vs heating spaces. With the conventional system with a 210 litre tank, there is negligible oil use through the summer. I don't see this a reason to consider an electric shower, and am in no hurry to change the conventional boiler for a combi either.
Old 16 January 2014, 05:46 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

ok, so i have a power shower (confirmed), and was mistaken - sorry Busterbulldog

consensus seems to be that the setup already installed is better than an electric shower that would heat the water.

the watermill osprey II 4500t allegedly pushes out 12l/per min but as i said it is noisy and shower doctor who seem to have bought all remaining parts for it don't have any replacement pumps
Old 16 January 2014, 06:26 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

yes it can, as long as it's in a 'safe zone', in earthed steel conduit or more than 50mm below the surface of the wall:
I didn't say galv, you can get black and White plastic, a lot easier to use.

Riiida , just employ a spark if you decide to wire a new shower , its easier to know whats required when the job is in front of him.
Old 17 January 2014, 12:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ok, so i have a power shower (confirmed), and was mistaken - sorry Busterbulldog

consensus seems to be that the setup already installed is better than an electric shower that would heat the water.

the watermill osprey II 4500t allegedly pushes out 12l/per min but as i said it is noisy and shower doctor who seem to have bought all remaining parts for it don't have any replacement pumps
So change the pump. It'll probably have isolating valves on it, and a new decent one is less than £300.

http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/plum...FQQGwwodwSQAfw

Is your hot tank fitted with one of these, to avoid cavitation?: http://www.screwfix.com/p/salamander...der-22mm/76906
That does cause noise and can damage the pump.

Quick Reply: Power shower electrics | One for a qualified sparky / plumber?