Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Adverts about obesity?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2014, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Adverts about obesity?

I've seen the latest one with the plasticscene men, (morphs) tipping glasses of out and getting sugar-cubes.

But the government are advising folk to drink SUGAR-FREE drinks, many of which contain Aspartame, which, afaik, is banned in the USA as a carcinogen?

So what's better, being fat, or getting cancer?

And what USE are adverts like that when, in the SAME ad break, the next advert on was for Kinder surprise, avidly telling hard working mums that, when their kids get home from school, the BEST thing to give them is a Kinder cereal bar.....
Old 14 January 2014, 12:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our society spends vast sums on persuading people to eat. Now advertisers take money to try and persuade people not to eat. Good for them I guess.
Old 14 January 2014, 12:54 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Sugar free stuff is all well and good but when I were a lad.....

Fizzy pop was an occasional treat - i.e. glass of lemonade and a bag of crisps on a Saturday evening, certainly not drank every day of every week.

We were always outdoors when the weather allowed and kicking a football around, building dens, or off on our bikes somewhere another. Computer games were fairly sh*t and reserved for rainy days.

I think we need to get back to the everything in moderation way of thinking, have a can of full fat coke once in a while, eat the odd cream cake, Mars bar, pie, etc. but as a treat not regularly. Eat simple food in the meantime, nothing wrong with meat and veg for dinner.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is wrong with drinking water and eating solid fruit? Maybe a slice of lemon in water?

The conspiracies around aspartame are mainly just that, I have no concerns with it in sensible quantities, based on my appraisal of the evidence and weeding through the hysteria.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the main scare in the US is with Saccharin - there is cancer warnings on items containing it (at least there was when I was last over there)

AFAIK Apspartame is NOT banned in the US, well not on a federal level at least....afterall the mainstay product of US fizzy drinks; Diet Coke contains it - always has (formerly branded as Nutrasweet).

Anyhoo, I don't touch the stuff; I've cut down my sugar intake regardless and its amazing how much your tatsebuds adapt - took a while (over 12months), but now anything sugarytastes far too sweet. For example I find typical lemonade undrinkable, it tastes like pure sugar mixed into fizzy water with a hint of lemon.

So yeah, the answer is just to cut out the sugar, not substitute it. Substituting for sweetners means you will still have that sweet tooth.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 January 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14 January 2014, 02:27 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by john banks
What is wrong with drinking water and eating solid fruit? Maybe a slice of lemon in water?

The conspiracies around aspartame are mainly just that, I have no concerns with it in sensible quantities, based on my appraisal of the evidence and weeding through the hysteria.
This. Simple but effective approach. Eat less do more and avoid (in as much as you can) processed crap. I found it very prudent to buy stuff of an old timer who has an allotment. Vegetables, some fruit and even eggs. They taste better and are free from chemicals.
Old 14 January 2014, 02:50 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Wow, that's nuts. Just the other day I was reading the usual anti aspartame tripe on Facebook and I started to get a little concerned by the pint or so of Pepsi Max I drink each day. My exact though process was, I bet JB has reviewed the evidence...I'd love to know his opinion. Maybe I'll start a thread or PM him...

...and now I know.
Old 14 January 2014, 04:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

as a familly we eat pretty well, to the extent that none of my 5 children have ever eaten a Macdonalds or indeed food out of a bucket!! and very very rarely eat processed (ready meals) food

Very occasionally we have sliced bread (hovis etc) in the house - and every time i eat it, it just tastes of sugar - incredible the amount they must put in the bread

the amount of fruit we go through is simply staggering
Old 14 January 2014, 04:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

That amazing permanently full fruit bowl you work hard for has paid dividends.

I am not taking the ****, it is a genuinely good concept, as long as it gets emptied.
Old 14 January 2014, 04:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is interesting to study the mass of faeces produced by a European or African of similar weight in a day.
Old 14 January 2014, 04:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

simple rule of thumb is not to eat anything your great grandmother would not recognise as food

so that's cheesy strings out of the door then

and yes, our weekly food bill is huge
Old 14 January 2014, 05:13 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Sweeteners like aspartame are not dangerous, it's all mostly bull****.

If someone is gonna drink coke, it's better to have the diet coke because when it comes down to it, less calories in means less that will turn to fat if you don't burn them off.

I will only drink diet/light/zero drinks if I'm having one and won't drink any fruit juice either.
Could be argued that fruit juice is a better choice because at least you might get some fibre and vitamin C out of it, but, fruit=sweet=sugar. Yes it's fructose, but it's still got calories in and too many=fat.

Of course, water would be a better choice, but most people won't drink it.
Old 14 January 2014, 05:21 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Of course, water would be a better choice, but most people won't drink it.
I'll stick with ale thanks, safer
Old 14 January 2014, 05:37 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Ale is a totally different story and had exceptions!!
If I'm having a jagerbomb and they've only got full fat red bull, I'm not gonna turn it down am I?! Lol
Old 14 January 2014, 05:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Energy content of ale is considerable. People don't get beer bellies from sunbathing.
Old 14 January 2014, 06:02 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

You can get cancer from sunbathing, especially if you drink diet coke at the same time.
Old 14 January 2014, 06:54 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Same calories in a pint of beer as a standard size 37.5g bag of walkers crisps.
Old 14 January 2014, 07:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Same calories in a pint of beer as a standard size 37.5g bag of walkers crisps.
I think that's the problem.
Old 14 January 2014, 08:20 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I thought the scaremongering about additives was shown as a bit OTT.

i.e. you would have to eat bucketfuls of the stuff every day for 10 years for there to be a risk.
Old 14 January 2014, 09:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk

i.e. you would have to eat bucketfuls of the stuff every day for 10 years for there to be a risk.
Some people do though
Old 14 January 2014, 09:53 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

It's all just the new thing to change us until someone realises they were wrong and we shouldn't do it after all.

Watched a programme about when "fat free" and "low fat" was the in thing , so they filled everything with suger instead (still could claim low fat). Then they realised too much sugar is bad , so "sugar free" is the in thing. Till they realise the thing they replace sugar with is bad for us and they will think of something else.
Old 14 January 2014, 11:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Some people do though

True, I used to guzzle throuigh 5 tins of coke a day. Over a year that adds up to a hell of alot. Moreso if its artificial sweeteners as there is a unknown long-term factor (i.e 50+years), although thats not an issue for me as I hate the taste of them.

Diet coke tastes foul, in general I find sweetners taste like having a 9volt battery on my tongue...I'd rather drink weak (and I mean very weak) cordial.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 January 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 12:42 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I thought the scaremongering about additives was shown as a bit OTT.

Some people do though
From UK Gov website

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice.../#.UtXX8NJdWSo
In the case of aspartame, an adult would have to consume 14 cans of a sugar-free drink every day before reaching the ADI, assuming the sweetener was used in the drink at the maximum permitted level. In practice most drinks use aspartame in combination with other sweeteners so that the level is considerably lower.

So you're not even close.See what I mean about rumour & mis-information.
That's the 'safe' limit so getting close to a 'dangerous' amount would be considerably more.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 15 January 2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 15 January 2014, 12:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ALi-B
...I used to guzzle throuigh 5 tins of coke a day. Over a year that adds up to a hell of alot....
Full dentures?

Last edited by joz8968; 15 January 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 01:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

LOL you'd think they'd be like that, and my mates used to think that until they found out I don't have a single filling, and a full set of teeth bar the wisdom teeth.

I do have acid erosion though, but the fruit is as bad for that as the drinks (my dentist blames the erosion on my front teeth on the apples I regularly eat).

Used a Braun 3D tooth brush since my teens (now Oral B 3D). So I can only say its down to that, as I haven't done much else to care for them bar the hygenist visits (I only bother flossing when something is stuck between them). Not genetic either as my parent's teeth are aweful.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 01:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeesuz, that needs a warning first fgs.
Old 15 January 2014, 01:50 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Very occasionally we have sliced bread (hovis etc) in the house - and every time i eat it, it just tastes of sugar - incredible the amount they must put in the bread
That made me look at the sugar content on the Hovis website.

Interestingly there's more sugar per-slice in wholemeal and best-of-both than their soft white loaves!
Old 15 January 2014, 01:51 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've seen the latest one with the plasticscene men, (morphs) tipping glasses of out and getting sugar-cubes.

But the government are advising folk to drink SUGAR-FREE drinks, many of which contain Aspartame, which, afaik, is banned in the USA as a carcinogen?

So what's better, being fat, or getting cancer?

And what USE are adverts like that when, in the SAME ad break, the next advert on was for Kinder surprise, avidly telling hard working mums that, when their kids get home from school, the BEST thing to give them is a Kinder cereal bar.....
The US allows hand guns yet Kinder Suprise is banned there due to danger of the contents in the suprise......go figure. Not everything the yanks ban has logic behind it.
Old 15 January 2014, 02:50 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Jeesuz, that needs a warning first fgs.
You're right - my apologies. It's rank.

Pic deleted.

Last edited by joz8968; 15 January 2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 15 January 2014, 02:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
LOL you'd think they'd be like that, and my mates used to think that until they found out I don't have a single filling, and a full set of teeth bar the wisdom teeth.

I do have acid erosion though, but the fruit is as bad for that as the drinks (my dentist blames the erosion on my front teeth on the apples I regularly eat)....

No fillings.

All teeth present except part of a premolar that broke up (presumably) because of too frequent fizzy drinks. Luckily it's out of sight lol

Last edited by joz8968; 15 January 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Adverts about obesity?