Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help Needed - Need to get fit but...

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 07:56 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

...I don't have any free time. Most of my time is spent working, driving or looking after my daughter (nearly 3)...

So any suggestions to get me fit are welcome. I'm usually too tired by the time my daughter goes to bed, and usually need to be in the house when she is in bed. Don't have time to exercise at work either. I tend to be childminding at the weekend too, so something I can do with a nipper is preferable.

To complicate matters I'm an asthmatic and tend to suffer when running or similar. I'm not too unfit, I don't drink too often, don't smoke, am in my mid 20's, 6'3" and about 16 stone, I just need to tone up and and improve general fitness.

So any advice/help appreciated

Cheers

Jon
Old 23 May 2002, 08:21 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Take her for walks, make them long & you'll have to carry her most of the way - excellent for the biceps as well as the legs!

Take her out in a pushchair - you can walk at a reasonable pace then - toddlers pace is not very energy consuming for an adult!

Get an excercise bike and cycle whist watching TV when 'littlun' in bed.

Get some weights and do exercise in the garage - or even in the house if the family don't object. (use baby monitor if needed)

Only eat when hungry.

Eat balanced diet - NO JUNK food.

Drink lots of water - recommended 10 glasses a day - tea & coffee & esp alcohol do NOT count

Above all enjoy being with your toddler - lots of fun games involve Dad lifting, swinging, bouncing or wrestling with the small child. They are just about the right weight to start with too - Also an advantage if you drop them on yourself - no hard edges like a dumbell

Cheers

Mick
Old 23 May 2002, 08:44 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Cheers Mick,

Already do the water thing (drink it all day at work, no coffee). Also tend to do all the active play with my daughter, it hasn't really helped me that much though. As for walking, I'm not sure that the nipper will go for the idea of the buggy... Not used it for ages and she's very independant!

I'd like to think that I have a balanced diet - but I just eat a twix and I really don't. I tend to eat lots of carbohydrates and not much else... Also I'm vegetarian and never have much time to cook, so I'm not very good at eating either I suppose.
Old 24 May 2002, 01:57 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

If your just looking to tone up, go back to basics excersizes, and also invest in some weights. basics: press ups, sit ups, chin ups all help lots on your upper body. some weights to work out your arms. You'll find this helps your chest/stomach alot too.

No joke but have you thought about taebo? Pop the video in and follow the workout they do (a type of boxing/ kickboxing workout) All ages and all levels can do it and it gives a great workout if you give it some effort and i think each workout is about 15-20mins..
Old 24 May 2002, 07:20 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

You vould get a bicycle trailer and hoon off into the hills on adventures with her...or a child seat on the bike. ToysRus are stocking one that fits on the frame in front of the rider. Our 3YO thinks it's cool. Of course you have to take it a little easy and it's weather dependent
C