Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 05:11 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a 32" Widescreen

Which is good??

Sony, Phillips or some other??

like the looks of the Sony (especially the one in the TV ads with the robot dog)

Cheers

Jay
Old 23 May 2002, 05:23 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Jay,
Sony all the way for me, i've the 32" inch Wega jobby and it's great, no problems with it, excellent picture quality and colour definition and you can sit most anywhere and still see the full screen !!

One thing though if you have a small sitting room and big hi-fi speakers it will effect the picture quality as the magnets screw about with each other ( you end up with purple corners if your not carefull !!) although this would be the same whichever brand you use, and the higher quality speaker's & TV the worst it will get !!

Phill
Old 23 May 2002, 05:48 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Thanks for the advice. What about a JVC and than get a Seperate AV amp and 6 speakers??

Has anyone tried the Sony all in one combo (DVD/AMP/Speakers)?

J
Old 23 May 2002, 08:07 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I agree with Phill. It has to be Sony. That's what I have

Darren
Old 23 May 2002, 11:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sony 36inch Widescreen with the Sony 700 DVD/Pro-Logic set up - a Panasonic VCR however!!

Pete
Old 24 May 2002, 12:08 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Another Sony Wega owner here - got an older 32" 100HZ and its an excellent set (well should be for £1,300). Several of my mates have them too and all happy - 36" maybe a better buy now that its come down a lot. Once youve watched a true flat screen TV everything else looks like a goldfish bowl.

John Lewis is a good place to buy - they price match anywhere, even websites and give you 5 years warranty. Of course depends if you have one near you for it to be any benefit.
Old 24 May 2002, 12:50 AM
jimbrit
Scooby Regular

Mail me if you want some advice m8. Sell Sony tv's for a living.

Email in profile

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2002, 07:16 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I rent my telly, and had a 32" w/s Phillips for about 2 years, up until Jan when I chopped it in for a 32" Sony. So I've had a direct comparison.

Picture-quality-wise, they're pretty much of a muchness - both have 100Mhz digital scan, which makes for a superb image. The Wega is much flatter though, which cuts down on reflections.

Sound-wise, again they're pretty similar.

The Sony scores because it has a built-in digital decoder, meaning I could watch Pop Idol Extra at no extra cost.

However, the Phillips had a far superior teletext system, with a massive cache and fasttext, which is very handy (particularly as the digital text services are pretty basic right now).

Which would I choose? Well, if I already had a digi/sky decoder, I'd have stuck with the Phillips. But the Sony's a good TV too, and looks smarter in the lounge.

Either way, you con't be disappointed.
Old 24 May 2002, 07:41 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Depends on whether you're going to get into Home Cinema or not.

If you are there's no point in worrying too much about the sound as that will be taken care of by your DVD Player/Receiver so NiCam stereo is good enough.

Flat Screen is a must but I wouldn't bother getting integrated Digital. 100Hz is nice but I bought a standard Philips with 50Hz screen and don't notice any flicker.....

Try these guys:

http://www.hispek.com/acatalog/

I got my 32" Philips Nicam for £650 - normally about a grand in the stores

[Edited by Timbo33 - 5/24/2002 7:42:41 AM]

[Edited by Timbo33 - 5/24/2002 7:43:23 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 08:04 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I would seriously consider renting - particularly the TV. Why?

I rent the 32" Wega and a Sony 3-head video from Box Clever for about £46 a month. For the model we've got (Sony KD32DX100) HiSpek (as posted by Tiggs will charge £1,425. Add the cost of the video, and you're talking about £1,600, which would pay for the rental for 3 years.

However, during that 3 years you could upgrade to whatever new TV technology comes out, as often as you like, and obviously if anything goes wrong with the set, they just take it away and give you a new one.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:53 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

parents in law have just got the phillips with digital,

must admit I was impressed with it, I have a selection of SONY and Panasonic TV's and if I was in the market for sony/phillips it would come down to price.

everything else seems equal
Old 24 May 2002, 12:21 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Just rented a Toshiba 36" picture frame flat screen 100 hz, rented for the same reasons as above. Dolby 5.1 surround sound etc. Superb piece of technology

Toshiba or JVC, the rest are also rans.

Take a look at www.forbesdirect.co.uk for rental details.
Old 24 May 2002, 12:41 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Jay,
Believe it or not scotish power did me the best deal, TV, stand, the acompanying VCR all for £1050.00 and i got 18months interest free credit.

I did this on a sunday afternoon and they even called back some drivers that were just going home, to give me a lift with the TV as it would not fit in a car!! (something to consider by the way as well, beacuase without a real big car it aint gonna happen, and the TV needs at least two strong people to carry it safely !!)

Phill