Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2013, 02:23 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeremy Paxman vs Russell Brand

Or so it felt like watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4C...ature=youtu.be

I'm not 100% what to make of it as I expect some of you guys would instantaneously dismiss the ramblings of a former drug addict and some may read a little deeper, possibly relating to the points he was making.

One thing's for sure, Paxman got a little variety from Brand in comparison to the dullards he may normally debate with.
Old 24 October 2013, 07:36 AM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Love him or loathe him, he's bright as a button that Brandy and does have a vocabulary to die for. People are quick to dismiss him because he is very much a showman and he used to bin off loads of drugs. People who don't like to conform generally tend to make the most interesting guests. I remember seeing John Lydon on Question Time shaking it up a bit. He was dressed like an utter tit but made some interesting remarks.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:33 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched him last night and yes it's difficult to make a decision on him, he questions the status quo and that can only be healthy.

I don't agree with his politics, not in the quite extreme form he prescribes, but we do need people like that to give some balance against certain forces at play.

I really enjoyed the interview, he is very sharp, and when he started to go about Paxman's granny brassing herself I burst out laughing
Old 24 October 2013, 09:02 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

When was the last time you heard a main-stream politician with a fraction of that passion?
Or any,for that matter.
Old 24 October 2013, 09:42 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I think Russel Brand is great to be honest. Even though I don't understand half the words he uses, I still think he's just a blunt honest man with a sense of humor with a lot of passion.
Old 24 October 2013, 10:08 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

He nailed Katy Perry on a regular basis.... therefore i have huge respect for him
Old 24 October 2013, 10:17 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

He is hugely intelligent, Stephen Fry is rightly held up as being an intelligent, urbane, witty man, and he is, Russell Brand I think is in that ball park, I think the speed of the delivery, his dress and the way he twists and turns in a monologue loses a lot of the public, plus the Estuary accent might not help.
Old 24 October 2013, 12:26 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

He's always very entertaining and I have a lot of empathy with the view he expressed as to the utter waste of space that most politicians are, but where he fell down, I feel, was that while he had a lot of insights to share on what was wrong , he had no suggestions on how to fix things.

It's relatively easy to be a nay sayer when you don't have any real responsibility (cf Nigel Farage/ BoJo), but much harder to lead and come up with constructive suggestions.

I still enjoyed it though, and I think Paxo did too, especially when Russell said " you must be bored out of your mind listening to the same old **** from all the politicians down the years". I would have liked to have seen what happened after the camera cut - did they both burst out laughing or what?

His appearance on american TV with 3 dimbos where he sliced and diced them is well worth a watch too if you haven't seen it before.

Old 24 October 2013, 12:39 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Brand is a grade-A narcissistic, hypocritical ****.

I was itching for Paxo to ask him if he would lead by example with regards his view of wealth redistribution by redistributing his $15m amongst the poor.
Old 24 October 2013, 12:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he makes some very valid points, which no doubt will bring him directly into conflict with the hidden powers that be and await the nasty accident which will befall him sometime in the not too distant future, something along the lines of an overdose after a relapse.
Old 24 October 2013, 01:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The guy's a complete *****.

As Fat Boy says above he has loads of complaints about how unfair things are but doesn't give any intelligent comment as to how to fix things.

If he wants to change things in this country fine - form a political party and get elected. Then he can get rid of the banks and wealthy business people and watch the country collapse.

The old style Cuba would have suited him perhaps.

dl
Old 24 October 2013, 02:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Genius levels of insight but clearly disliked by many.
Old 24 October 2013, 02:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Genius levels of insight but clearly disliked by many.

Genius levels Come off it please. Most of us on here can list out the problems in society. The genius comes in solving them.

If he really wants to get involved with society struggling then he should go and live in Somalia or take a break in Syria.

dl
Old 24 October 2013, 03:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Media Player

Old 24 October 2013, 07:37 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

At least he's addressing the issue. He may not have a solution but who does? Most issues get swept under the carpet these days.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:40 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I like Russell Brand. I read his "Booky wook" a few years ago and the man has obviously had some tough times in his life, even before his heroin addiction.
He's right, who is actually moved to vote?. I've never voted, and I'm of the opinion that whoever I vote for will change their policies straight after they are elected and then we will have x amount of years of scandal and corruption under a different lot to the current.
Do we really live in a democracy if the majority of the country choose not to vote?
More people in the UK are moved to vote on a singing contest than who we want to run our country.
Old 24 October 2013, 09:41 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

At least he can string a sentence together, which is more than can be said for a significant number of "celebs" that are held in high esteem by the public.

At least it counterbalances the ignorant, useless ****** that can't even "rite" their own name
Old 24 October 2013, 09:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

He certainly has at least one thing in common with many career politicians, which is of course how brightly he believes the sun shines out of his own behind
Old 25 October 2013, 08:02 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I dont particularly like Russell Brand but he made some decent points.Paxman looks like he was pissing himself..

Its great that someone,whoever it may be rubbishes the politicians on TV,that cannot be a bad thing...But..........

Genius level...No ?

Brilliant vocabulary? No... He has learned long words and their meanings,but has to keep using them over and over...
Old 27 October 2013, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Fabioso
At least he can string a sentence together, which is more than can be said for a significant number of "celebs" that are held in high esteem by the public.

At least it counterbalances the ignorant, useless ****** that can't even "rite" their own name
About right I'd say!

Part of me finds the beatnik thing a bit manufactured and disingenuous (certainly works with the ladies ). There is no doubting the guy is an insightful and eloquent commentator though. I'm not sure he has solutions, but at least he'll entertain a real debate where he listens to what others are saying and responds accordingly rather than just doles out the party line.

Also, he shagged Katy Perry - the guy is a legendary swordsman.