Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So, Teachers .......

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2013, 10:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry So, Teachers .......

...... letting the children down this Thursday are we?

Hope you're proud of yourselves - the parents of the children, yes, they are the ones paying your handsome wages ....... funding your gold plated pension and enabling you to take 14 weeks holiday a year and a directed working week of 26 hours! Are now having to make arrangements which are inconvenient.

Disgraceful.
Old 15 October 2013, 10:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours aren't.

And there isn't one teacher at my sons school that only works 26 hrs a week.
On the contrary - I'd say they all work more than 40 hrs a week from what I see.

Last edited by zip106; 15 October 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 15 October 2013, 10:16 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Agree ..... And the schools fine parents for taking there children out in term time.

Maybe we should now fine the schools ?
Old 15 October 2013, 10:20 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We only need to ask for permission to take our children out of school during term time, and so far have never been refused or fined.

I must be living in some form of educational Utopia...
Old 15 October 2013, 10:23 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

My missus isn't striking, and she works at least 60 hours a week.
Old 15 October 2013, 10:24 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Typo... was supposed to be at least 50 per week - but frequently will do 60 hours regardless.
Old 15 October 2013, 10:25 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

That's my Thursday afternoon knackered then. It's the only time I get to cruise past the senior school now and there won't be any hotties around
Old 16 October 2013, 09:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish
Agree ..... And the schools fine parents for taking there children out in term time.
Do they really?

Or do they, in fact, report an absence because they have to by law? And don't the courts dish out the fines?
And aren't headteachers recently fed up because this government have tightened the rules on them AGAIN about who can be authorised absent?

Originally Posted by Wish
Maybe we should now fine the schools ?
Maybe they would be...if the weren't doing what the GOVERNMENT told them?

Let's also never forget that this whole "can't take your child out of school for a holiday" was a piece of Lying Labour nastiness against what SHOULD be their core voters.
They ALSO, at the same time, promised to get on top of the holiday companies charging huge amounts in "peak season"...like THAT was ever going to happen.
Old 16 October 2013, 09:35 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

So what if they work 40,50, or even 60 hours a week, who actually gives a flying ****?

Everyone else has to work that many hours out in the real world. They could always go get a different job if they dont like it...

If i could just work 60hours a week that would be brilliant!
Old 16 October 2013, 09:56 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Everyone else has to work that many hours out in the real world. They could always go get a different job if they dont like it...

Yes because 'everyone else' really works 40-60 hour weeks Baring in mind the European working time directive (which can be opted out of by the employee) sets out a a maximum 48 hour working week.
Old 16 October 2013, 10:04 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Has anyone on here actually been fined for taking kids out of school? Or is this just the usual band wagon jumping?
I took mine out last year for 2 weeks to go to Florida, and I am doing the same in November. Spoke to the Head teacher and the teacher and both have said " Excellent go and enjoy your family time, it is very important"
Old 16 October 2013, 10:06 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Yes because 'everyone else' really works 40-60 hour weeks Baring in mind the European working time directive (which can be opted out of by the employee) sets out a a maximum 48 hour working week.

Which does not apply if self employed, or opted out of.

And if you want the money you aren't going to do it on a 40hr week,....

Wages are lower, and people need to work harder to make ends meet. Personally see no issue with having to work longer hours, and at the end of the day 14 weeks holiday to go with it. Gotta make that time up somewhere.

Are you a teacher? lol
Old 16 October 2013, 10:16 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

So what if they work 40,50, or even 60 hours a week, who actually gives a flying ****?

You're completely missing the point. I didn't comment on my missus' working hours because I feel she deserves a medal for it - I work similarly long/hard (for considerably more money, but that's another argument for another day) but the first post in this thread commented on teachers working 26 hours a week which could not be further from the truth.

My post was in response to that.
Old 16 October 2013, 10:20 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Round our way now new rules state you have to pay £60 per child
Old 16 October 2013, 12:06 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Wages are lower, and people need to work harder to make ends meet. Personally see no issue with having to work longer hours, and at the end of the day 14 weeks holiday to go with it. Gotta make that time up somewhere.

Are you a teacher? lol
Nope alas i'm not a teacher. I just don't see your argument that 'everyone else has to work that many hours' is remotely valid. Especially when 'everyone else' actually amounts those that are self employeed and/or those who choose to opt out. So in fact not actually everyone.

Also I think you'll find that teachers are paid on a salary basis and as such aren't actually paid for the additional time worked. Although Fonzey can probably fill in the gaps a bit here.

Oh and its perfectly possible to earn reasonable money on a 40 hour week.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:10 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Wages are lower, and people need to work harder to make ends meet. Personally see no issue with having to work longer hours,
lol
+1

the days of working 37 hours a week are long gone,i do between 60-80 hours a week over 6 days (noise restrictions mean no work on sunday) and i think myself lucky that i have the chance to work so many hours,it means my employer is doing well and im doing well
Old 16 October 2013, 12:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
but the first post in this thread commented on teachers working 26 hours a week which could not be further from the truth.

My post was in response to that.
You really need to read what was written ...... DIRECTED 26 hours a week!!

In laymans terms that means that the HeadTeacher and Governors can ONLY direct a Teacher to work 26 hours a week ...... any hours over and above that are up to the Teacher!

Yes, most may work an additional 11 hours a week marking while sat beside their pool - but that just takes it up to 37 hours ..... still less than most of the population who are paying their wages and their gold plated pensions.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Please do not feed the troll.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:22 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I like this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1377026_10151755094728929_1497913261_n.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	14028  
Old 16 October 2013, 12:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Headteacher probably had a good laugh, before thinking, "Wnaker!" and dropping it in the bin.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:47 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

It makes me laugh, the childish mentality of some people!

"The teachers are off for a day, I hope they are fined too."

Completely different circumstances. Holidays are just that. Tomorrow is a strike to stand up for what we believe in and not to be pushed around by the governemt. I'm sure that if you were striking you would feel the same.

Again, a 26 hour week! What a load of crap! That is time the children are in. Planning, preparation, assessments, marking, displays all need doing too!

That's the problem with some uneducated people. They see the world through their own eyes, unable to empathise with any other situations apart from their own. It beggars belief. The worrying thing is, these views are then put across to their own children who grow up with a twisted view of life.
Old 16 October 2013, 01:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

That letter is very clever - and highlights the hypocracy of the Teachers ...... they state that even a single day can hurt a childs education, yet here they are, hurting many many many children.

If they want to stike with the support of me and everyone else, then do so on a day in your many holidays - really, honesty, you would get the FULL support of the country if you did that!

It would show that you are not interested in hurting the children for the sake of your own personal finances ....... go on, I dare you to be different - strike, with my full support on the days children won't get hurt, how about it?
Old 16 October 2013, 01:13 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

they chose the career, Its **** pay but good holidays they knew what they signed up for,

if they strike SACK THEM! plenty of fresh eager students leaving uni will take their place
Old 16 October 2013, 01:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Sod the teachers. Seen Royal Mail looking for a strike, days after being given 750 shares which are now worth over £3500. Cheeky buggers
Old 16 October 2013, 01:16 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Sod the teachers. Seen Royal Mail looking for a strike, days after being given 750 shares which are now worth over £3500. Cheeky buggers
Sack em, anyone can be a postie these days, look at xmas time they just employ whoever gets there first round here
Old 16 October 2013, 01:41 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
That letter is very clever - and highlights the hypocracy of the Teachers ...
I'd wager if you actually asked teachers (off the record) they would fully support term-time holidays providing that exam preparation etc was taken into account.

It's not teachers making these rules, they have to suffer the consequences of overpriced package holidays and flights just like parents do - which is why many teachers are lobbying for variable term-times (between schools or regions) to give the travel agents less to take advantage of.
Old 16 October 2013, 02:04 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

If I understand the issues correctly then this strike is about the unions being against performance related pay and teachers having greater control over their pension contributions.

I don't so much blame the teachers, moreover the unions for having the cheek to oppose these reforms. It's pretty simple to see that bringing in these reforms will empower the teachers and undermine the union's power over them.
Old 16 October 2013, 02:04 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Not far off SJ,

You're forgetting the hard and fast rule - never argue with stupid people: they're drag you down to their level or reasoning and subsequently beat you with their vast experience.
The difference being that a teacher WILL discuss these points with ALL academic levels: at the same time, and assess them accordingly. It's as easy as it sounds

I would challenge that most people in this thread actually haven't any idea what teachers/educators actually do (even you Pete - go in a classroom, or shock: speak to a teacher, rather than the various levels of adminosphere between you and them).
But this doesn't aid in your now so obvious trolling attempts, that it's highly entertaining to watch.

The one that made me chuckle was when a teacher colleague of mine responded to a parent complaining about the striking issue. The main complaint was the time they would have to take off work to look after their child.
The teacher responded by saying, "Last time I checked, I'm not a childcare provider. Parents would do well to remember this fact". And I totally agree.

But as we're in the throws of a massive sulk, let's bring in the posties, HE staff, fire-service etc etc etc.

As for the comments about "teachers knew what they were signing up for"......... this works both ways. If there is envy of the good holidays and pension, well, there is an obvious option: become a teacher.

But why let the story get in the way of a good moan?

Bit a garbled response, and for that I apologise, but I'm currently in a lecture - we're discussing this issue in Business and Employment class.
There's 20 students and 2 staff members -my students and I thank you for giving me a discussion point for afternoon.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 16 October 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 16 October 2013, 02:10 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
If they want to stike with the support of me and everyone else, then do so on a day in your many holidays - really, honesty, you would get the FULL support of the country if you did that!
Tbh you very nearly made a good point there, if they had any sense they'd strike on a training day (granted they aren't nationwide but that doesn't matter). That way they could make a point with out the hypocrisy you mention and indeed with out upsetting most of the population.

Originally Posted by dukeoffenland
if they strike SACK THEM! plenty of fresh eager students leaving uni will take their place
Wow that's such a brilliant idea that i'm glad no ones ever thought of it...
Old 16 October 2013, 02:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

I would challenge that most people in this thread actually haven't any idea what teachers/educators actually do
Rubbish, the majority of us SHOULD have spent a good 12 years of our lives with teachers 5 days a week. Even at a young and uneducated age of say 13/14yr old you should still know how much effort a teacher has to put into their class.

That said, I think the majority of people hate the idea that they are striking when they get a 6 week break each year whilst the rest of us have to sit and work through summer

Quick Reply: So, Teachers .......