Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eyes & eyewear (glasses and contact lenses)

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2013, 03:54 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Eyes & eyewear (glasses and contact lenses)

Hey all.

I've always been officially long sighted since an eyesight ltest when I was at first school, however up until late I've never really worn glasses as I hate wearing them, and I've always got away with whatever it is I'm doing without the need for eyewear.

However after a recent medical at work my right eye is getting slowly worse, it's blood born idle too so it's loosing the battle to want to focus

So my options are what? Bite my pride and wear glasses almost full time (mainly due to job, and hobbies) or try contact lenses?

The opticians said that the glasses I have just been prescribed are for everyday use, so the long sighted is practically a myth now, as this would be for close vision?

Either way I'm a heavy display screen user, and my eyes are important to me now more than ever, what should I do?

Rob
Old 13 October 2013, 04:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered laser surgery? my mum got it and reckons it's the finest thing since sliced cheese. I've worn glasses for so long now I would feel naked with out them TBH.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I "fought it" for years, and then within a week of wearing glasses I could not go without them. It seems like my eyes finally relaxed, and now won't go back to focusing on their own

I'm going to sort contacts out sometime soon, I don't mind the goggles but it's a PITA on holiday to keep swapping for prescription sunnies etc. I'd rather just have contacts even if it's just got occasional use.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I used to think that I'd never wear glasses, as my eyesight was perfect. In last 5-6 years my eyes sight has declined, and now I cannot read anything without glasses.

For me, getting older and re-indulging myself into academics caused my eyes to need reading glasses. I don't mind anymore. The only problem is losing my glasses here n' there, and then not to be able to find them without wearing another pair . I can't have lenses just for reading.

I think glasses are better than lenses, as you don't have to poke finger in your eyes in order to put your lenses in. But Someone here might tell you that it's easily done. Wait for a few reviews before you make up your mind whether to spec it or lens it. Good luck, and welcome to the world of more than two eyes.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers for input guys.

I've been with specsavers on and off now for 12 years, and recently decided to use a local firm just because I knew, or at least I though it won't matter as I won't be buying any specs, how wrong!

Glasses and sunglasses, is it not just a case of wearing those transformibobs?

Daily Contacts might be a pain for me working long shifts, so I looked at monthly ones, but I'm a newb so haven't a clue what to do. I guess even the long issue one, you've still to remove them daily and reuse? This might be no good for me ;(

Laser surgery was no good for me 10 years ago being long sighted, has this now changed? My mate had it done whom without glasses was bloody blind, and he's now 5 years on really pleased with the results. But 3 days of hell the day after the surgery.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 13 October 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 13 October 2013, 05:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Laser surgery was no good for me 10 years ago being long sighted, has this now changed?
Wiki says- "Hyperopia is correctable with various refractive surgery procedures, such as PRK, LASIK, Radial Keratocoagulation or Thermokeratoplasty".

I shall also take interest in correcting my eyes via refractive surgery if that^ is the case.
Old 13 October 2013, 05:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have to say I'm not so keen on Specsavers anymore. They seem to be desperate these days, and their glasses seem to be quite tacky, and not so trendy anymore. The Black and white funky frame I used to like has been discontinued by them. I liked that because it matched my fat B&W cat. I must look for a new specs seller.
Old 13 October 2013, 05:45 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Laser surgery I need to look into then

Isn't there quite a few online only specs places, ie Speckyfoureyes?

Rob
Old 13 October 2013, 06:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Laser surgery I need to look into then
You got it. Yaaaye!

Isn't there quite a few online only specs places, ie Speckyfoureyes?

Rob
Yes, I've just been looking at some of them. None of them seem to have that B&W frame, and that's what I'm looking for. Moreover, they ask you to submit your fugshot, if you wanna try their glasses on. I think that's a bit risky tbh.

Anyway, I never knew that speccyfoureyes place actually existed. I thought it was a joke name for Specsavers. I only checked them out after you mentioned their name.

I'm surprised that no politically correct do-gooder people have jumped on the bandwagon to protest against this 'speccyfoureyes' mickytaking name. I think if a crutch making company calls itself 'crutchyextraleg', then they will kick off. Same if some hearing aid company calls itself 'hear-here-extra-ear', I think they'll do fierce demonstrations outside their factory and outside 10, Downing Street etc.

Not that I'm offended, but just an observation.
Old 13 October 2013, 06:22 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I've had contacts for the last 3 months , specsavers wanted £36 a month.
Went to tesco and pay £30 every 3 months...no solution included in that price.

Horrible nasty things to put in your eyes for first couple of weeks but after that I was used to it.

I havnt the ***** for laser surgery ......I don't do hospitals I tend to glue myself back together
Old 13 October 2013, 07:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had contacts in tandem with glasses..

Gave up after about a year, don't enjoy the moisture suction, in return for what??

- a bit of vanity.

Suppose one day I may go for laser, I reckon I may just be too tight/scared for that

Last edited by dpb; 13 October 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 13 October 2013, 07:54 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe if you had stopped masterbaiting at 15 your eyes would be fine now.. .lol
Old 13 October 2013, 09:42 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I use the night and day contact lenses which I can sleep in.

I buy them through www.getlenses.co.uk, and divert the order through their Netherlands server, which means I don't need to mess about scanning in a prescription (even though the UK branch posts them out).

Much cheaper than Specsavers. I suggest getting Specsavers to do the test, then after a month, cancel your contract/direct debit and order from getlenses - you can get up to 10% cashback too (Quidco/Topcashback). Scan your existing prescription in to get them from the UK if you like, but once the prescription has expired, go to the Netherlands server.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:12 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Had contacts in tandem with glasses..

Gave up after about a year, don't enjoy the moisture suction, in return for what??

- a bit of vanity.

Suppose one day I may go for laser, I reckon I may just be too tight/scared for that
The vanity doesn't bother me, it's more the constant needing to clean fingerprints/smudge/CV grease/etc from my glasses when doing anything outdoors... oh and the sunglasses thing.

I'd probably get disposable contacts and just wear then for occasions which involve me getting stuff on my face
Old 13 October 2013, 10:17 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Maybe if you had stopped masterbaiting at 15 your eyes would be fine now.. .lol
I don't understand the question, are you saying it's my fault for not Stopping? I eat carrots too, lots of em

Originally Posted by dpb

- a bit of vanity.
Yes, exactly, vanity!

My job would benefit from me not having glasses too, plus I don't even wear a watch my misses bought me for birthday, nor my wedding ring as I'm not comfortable wearing jewellery, so glasses are kind of unusual too if that makes sense. maybe I'm just weird, but I've always been like that. Glasses will be tried first again though, maybe some more subtle ones, and a trial of contacts too I think.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. .... I'd rather be cleaning finger prints than having stuff dropping into my eyes

( same when I'm out on the bike ) .

I can see what yu mean with the sunglasses, but hardly ever wear them.

I've had same glasses for probably 8 years, the brain dials out the scratches

Last edited by dpb; 13 October 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My job would benefit from me not having glasses too, plus I don't even wear a watch my misses bought me for birthday, nor my wedding ring as I'm not comfortable wearing jewellery, so glasses are kind of unusual too if that makes sense. maybe I'm just weird, but I've always been like that. Glasses will be tried first again though, maybe some more subtle ones, and a trial of contacts too I think.
I don't know what you do for a job, but if you're mostly gazing at computer screen, then glasses should be okay. You get used to them, you know. You can get feather light posh titanium ones with hair thin rims, or poser types that look a part on you. I used to think that glasses would be in a way for me, but soon I realised that I so needed them to read material through them. They're now part of my being. They're on and off as I only use them to read, but I'm actually reading most times, so they are my extra set of eyes that I can't do without.

Good luck with trying both glasses and lenses. You'll know what feels most comfy to you.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I don't know what you do for a job:
Shift Manager in manufacturing/warehousing and distribution, so more man managing with several hours of computer paperwork, BUT it's the reading whilst on the shop floor that's becoming an issue, the odd bit of literature here and there is difficult. I even struggle to read the print on the back of foods now

Originally Posted by dpb
Hmmm. .... I'd rather be cleaning finger prints than having stuff dropping into my eyes

( same when I'm out on the bike ) .

I can see what yu mean with the sunglasses, but hardly ever wear them.

I've had same glasses for probably 8 years, the brain dials out the scratches
I see your point, but I actually have several pairs if sunglasses that I do wear, and safety glasses at work should I need, your right though I'm just being vein
Old 13 October 2013, 11:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Shift Manager in manufacturing/warehousing and distribution, so more man managing with several hours of computer paperwork, BUT it's the reading whilst on the shop floor that's becoming an issue, the odd bit of literature here and there is difficult. I even struggle to read the print on the back of foods now
In that case, glasses are your best bet. You can't take your lenses off and on as required, you see. I also have the same problem as yours, and was offered verifocal lenses if I preferred. But I heard from quite a few long- sighted consumers that they didn't like them, reported discomfort and took on glasses.

I'd get glasses for reading, if I were you.

That's what I have, even when I'm me with similar issue as yours.
Old 14 October 2013, 12:10 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by dpb
Snap. Plus what really puts me off the idea of contacts was my Mam used to wear them in her more vein days to go out (was happy with glasses during the day/at work). She didn't go out loads so probably over indulged when she did, and long story short, she fell asleep without removing them. I cut her story off at the point of her saying they were stuck to her eyes. Obviously she got them unstuck, but I didn't want to hear the details.
Old 14 October 2013, 12:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When I started college and spent a heck of a lot of time with orange VDU's I started noticing my eyes going a bit odd. About two years on, had to wear glasses for reading, and occasionally driving.
Health plan from work covers $200 every two years, and as I'm covered on my wife's plan, I can claim some there too.
Last time I got a new prescription was five years ago. I got some sunglasses with prescription lenses as well, and that did make a fair bit of difference when driving / sailing.

I'm VERY funny about putting things in my eyes, so contacts have never appealed, hence why I stick to glasses.

My wife's eyesight was appalling. without contacts in or glasses on, she had very poor eyesight, put it this way, I could stand in the doorway of our bedroom and she could be sitting on the bed and I'd be a blur.

She got seriously fed up with this and decided to look into laser eye surgery. Things have progressed in the last 10 years, and a month ago she had a free consultation (pretty sure places in the UK would also offer this), and a few days later decided to have both eyes done at the same time.

Procedure took a couple of hours. she had to wear sunglasses for 24 - 48 hours, and had a fairly frequent application of different eyedrops for the initial 24 hours, and then the applications lessened over the next week. She got it done on a Friday and had a checkup the following morning, and then a checkup two weeks later (would have been a week, but we were away).

When I picked her up she said she could notice a massive improvement, and 48 hours later it got better. They checked her last week and everything is good, she has 20 / 20 vision and she is very very happy.

I'd seriously recommend going for a consult. If your eyes cannot be corrected with laser eye surgery, then contacts or glasses are your only real options.

Would I get it? If my eyes deteriorate, perhaps. As mentioned above, I'm not keen on stuff going near my eyes, and I know exactly what they do in the procedure, and it makes my toes curl. Plus smelling something burning, however brief, and knowing it's coming from your eyes, can be a little off putting.

Oh, and price, think it was about $3600, so that's about £2100. Not cheap, but if you factor in the cost of contacts, solution, glasses, over a number of years, it can make sense.

Last edited by Markus; 14 October 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 14 October 2013, 01:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm at the point in one of my eyes (lazy left one) is affecting my judgement at work.

Luckily Tata do prescription safety glasses and I'm just awaiting on a correction on the right lense before I wear them full time at work.

I've had a prescription for everyday glasses since 2009 but never really bothered. However headaches from eye straining are becoming more frequent so it's about time I wore them full stop all the time.

It's been mentioned on here before that I'm short sighted in my left eye and long sighted my right. Not too bad when you focus out of both eyes simultaneously - something I can't do. I look/focus out of one eye at a time so my depth perception etc. is rubbish. Stems from being cross eyed at birth, having corrective muscle surgery at 18 months and my brain just being used to focusing out of either eye naturally depending on what I'm looking at. For example as I write this in bed on my phone, I'm naturally focusing out of my left eye whereas if I put my phone at arms length, it'll naturally switch to the right eye as the left becomes blurry at distance.

I literally see everything in two slightly different perspectives. A royal PITA sometimes as you can't tell if I'm looking at you directly or not.

Good luck in what ever decision you make, Rob.
Old 14 October 2013, 02:03 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Snap. Plus what really puts me off the idea of contacts was my Mam used to wear them in her more vein days to go out (was happy with glasses during the day/at work). She didn't go out loads so probably over indulged when she did, and long story short, she fell asleep without removing them. I cut her story off at the point of her saying they were stuck to her eyes. Obviously she got them unstuck, but I didn't want to hear the details.
Haha, did that a couple of times mysel

Old 14 October 2013, 09:42 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus. If I thought laser would do the job I'd be there in a flash. I think £1000 per eye is about the going rate as you said. I'm sceptical because I was once told you could not have "long sighted" laser surgery, I'll check it out, and if it's doable I'll get a consultation sorted. Trouble is just not blurry, but also I'll focusing due to being lazy, so the sight kind of comes and goes within seconds

Lisa that sounds horrific, Don't fancy that happening to me ;(. I recall having a mate ( one I mentioned earlier) and in our youth he'd get wrecked at a weekend and forget to take these daily things out all weekend, and have no trouble.

CBrian, I'm almost in the same boat, but not. My other eye is 20/20 so it's not too bad, but when tired I feel my good eye kind of dropping out, and until I really make my good eye work hard, I just get blurted vision in both eyes, that kind of day dreaming feeling. Weird!
Old 14 October 2013, 06:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Markus

My wife's eyesight was appalling. without contacts in or glasses on, she had very poor eyesight, put it this way, I could stand in the doorway of our bedroom and she could be sitting on the bed and I'd be a blur.

She got seriously fed up with this
You sure she considered it a bad thing?

Old 14 September 2014, 01:19 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

After many years of deliberation I'm booked in for contacts on Tuesday.....eeeeek
Old 14 September 2014, 01:24 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

After many years of deliberation I'm booked in for contacts on Tuesday.....eeeeek
Contact lenses are a piece of. Bang them in and leave them. That's it.
Old 14 September 2014, 02:52 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I went for them in about May this year, I thought (as I said in this thread last October) that I'd only wear them occasionally but I hate my glasses since getting the contacts.

Only wear Glasses now in bed when reading or on a really lazy/hung over sunday morning etc. Oh, and when on the plane too - as falling asleep in the contacts isn't fun
Old 14 September 2014, 09:53 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

I have worn glasses from when I was about 12 years old and have used contacts for around 12 years.
started off with specsavers with dailey for going out etc, and glasses for day to day use.

when I changed jobs, my glasses use to get dirty all the time and it was a pita to keep cleaning them etc, so I went to a local options and I went for night and day lens that I changed for a new pair each month and cleaned each week.

I have been using them lens for the last 6 years or so with no problems, but around june this year I started to have problems with the lens, they were feeling uncomfortable and irritating my eyes, getting dry etc, and one of my eyes could not focus with them in.

I went back to my local options and it has been put down to the hay fever this year, something that I have not suffered from before.

After trying a lot of different makes of lenses over the last few months, I have found a new make lens that is a lot more comfortable compared to the night and day lens. it is a dailey lens.

It is a pain putting them in each day at 4.30am, but with this make I can wear them all day for what I need to around 10pm without having dry eyes (something that I was getting with a few of the other makes)

I find wearing lenses a lot more easy on every day to day things, better to look around without the feeling of being in a car all the time trying to look around the A/B pillars

So for me lenes win hands down on the being able to see more without things blocking my view, but take more care and are more expensive over the long run.

My advice is if you would like to go for lenses, there are a lot of different makes out there and they all fit/feel different, so it is worth trying a few to find out what one is best for you.

thanks
ian
Old 14 September 2014, 10:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is a pain putting them in each day at 4.30am

I bet it was , and for my astigmatism, getting them to sit right..

Quick Reply: Eyes & eyewear (glasses and contact lenses)