Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Badger activists.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2013, 01:52 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Badger activists.....

They are so pathetic and probably the kind of people that protest about fracking too.. I was driving through my village at 1:30am from town and there's about 10 policemen, police cars, and a riot van. I've never seen anything like it in such a rural place. All along the lanes are cars belonging to these activists with pillows and sleeping bags too, I assume taking turns to keep watch.

Anyway, a car comes towards me as I'm driving through and I notice 4 policemen running after it. Quickly blocked the road with my car so that it couldn't get through and the two idiots inside got caught.

These hippies should stay in their towns and keep out of the countryside. A farmer I know said he's had one or two things stolen this last week, almost certain it's the activists. Do they really have nothing better to do? They've been in the area for the last 3 weeks but this is the first time I've witnessed it. They're honestly idiots.

Last edited by LSherratt; 12 October 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12 October 2013, 02:07 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I bet they're all vegetarian too
Old 12 October 2013, 07:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

12 Gauge.
Old 12 October 2013, 08:24 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
They are so pathetic and probably the kind of people that protest about fracking too.. I was driving through my village at 1:30am from town and there's about 10 policemen, police cars, and a riot van. I've never seen anything like it in such a rural place. All along the lanes are cars belonging to these activists with pillows and sleeping bags too, I assume taking turns to keep watch.

Anyway, a car comes towards me as I'm driving through and I notice 4 policemen running after it. Quickly blocked the road with my car so that it couldn't get through and the two idiots inside got caught.

These hippies should stay in their towns and keep out of the countryside. A farmer I know said he's had one or two things stolen this last week, almost certain it's the activists. Do they really have nothing better to do? They've been in the area for the last 3 weeks but this is the first time I've witnessed it. They're honestly idiots.

Rural living does have exciting moments then.
Old 12 October 2013, 10:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So you are saying that, despite it being better to innoculate cattle and there being no DIRECT evidence that badgers carry TB or pass it to cattle, it's best to kill them all off anyway?

Just asking.
Old 12 October 2013, 10:16 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Most likely down to cost of inoculation and also the risk to introducing traces of the drug into our food chain. Besides the badgers are ruining the golf courses.....
Old 12 October 2013, 10:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are they culling badgers across the rest of Europe?
Old 12 October 2013, 11:13 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Since year 2000 the increased incidence of TB in the UK has resulted in 5 times more cattle being destroyed up to year 2013. Since the badger cull was introduced in Ireland the incidence of TB and subsequent cattle death has been halved. However these results are probably manipulated to suit the pro cullers.

Truth is, as soon as culling starts the surviving badgers quickly head off somewhere else carrying the disease with them, infecting other badgers and cattle too. Short of a nuclear device to wipe the lot out in a given area the cull probably won't work. This might be considered excessive force though.
Old 12 October 2013, 11:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The world would be a lesser place without protesters.

The pro cull science seems a bit shaky to me.

And hats off to the guys in the Arctic trying to stop the Ruskies f,ucking the place up.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 12 October 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12 October 2013, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Are they culling badgers across the rest of Europe?
Not afaik.
Old 12 October 2013, 04:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
So you are saying that, despite it being better to innoculate cattle and there being no DIRECT evidence that badgers carry TB or pass it to cattle, it's best to kill them all off anyway?

Just asking.
Funnily enough i was just (yesterday) reading the following article (from a year ago) from the Grauniad.

Maybe we don't even need vaccinations - just a little more common sense?

mb
Old 12 October 2013, 04:23 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Shoot the badgers and save a few rounds for the unwashed activist numpties.
Old 12 October 2013, 04:27 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Funnily enough i was just (yesterday) reading the following article (from a year ago) from the Grauniad.

Maybe we don't even need vaccinations - just a little more common sense?

mb
Common sense and the Guardian?
Has an oxymoronic tinge to it, don't you think.
Old 12 October 2013, 04:50 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cster
Common sense and the Guardian?
Has an oxymoronic tinge to it, don't you think.
It does, but that doesn't stop it from accidentally publishing the odd well researched and presented article, such as this one

I know a few farmers, and and a result am quite prepared to believe that the actions of DEFRA and the agricultural community have contributed more to the spread of bovine TB than badgers ever have
Old 12 October 2013, 04:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yeah, they're worse than idiots for stealing people's things, I agree.

But what were you doing; blocking the road with your car so that they couldn't get through?? I understand that you only helped the Police in catching hippies, and we should be proud of you. Yes, we are. But what if those skunked up hippies had hit your car, and what if you got hurt in the process??

I suggest to anyone not to risk yourself, if you could help. That's all. No one was trapped in fire or in sea without any help, and those badger activists were being chased by Police as it was. So why you'd go and stick your beak in is simply crazy. Selfish it may sound, but I would have just stopped by on the road side and let the drama unfold- in this particular event. I know it feels good to do some positive stunt as soon as an opportunity arises, but be careful in future with things like that. I bet you haven't told your mummy about your risky, hippy car blocking. I can't see her happy about it.

I'll stop lecturing now.

Anyway, why were those four policemen running after the car with those numpties inside it? What were they thinking?? I mean how can you catch a car by running on foot behind it FFS? Now I can see why you had to help. When both parties are cuckoo in their heads, a third party with some sense might as well stop and do something, I know. I would have banged both hippies and policemen's heads together if my conscience had pricked me to stop. I wonder what was wrong with the coppers' own mobeel, which could have been more useful to chase the escaping car. Did the hippies puncture the cop car tyres or what?
Old 12 October 2013, 05:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Farmers don't have a great track record of having science on their side anyway.
Old 12 October 2013, 05:30 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I live in a rural area,a small village that is surrounded by farms with cattle.

There is no support whatsoever in this area for the badger cull.There is no satisfactory evidence in this area that culling badgers will decrease TB..
Old 12 October 2013, 07:01 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Kill the ******* lot for me,there just overgrown weasel's that serves no purpose,and the same for the badgers!

Last edited by stuart69; 12 October 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12 October 2013, 07:17 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Good advice there turbo, as I was approaching I could see some sort of commotion ahead, and it looked as if the car had just turned around to drive off, followed by a few policemen starting to make chase on foot, that's when I decided to simple stop dead in the middle of the road. I guess if they had hit me then it would have been their fault?

By the way, I am neither for or against the badger cull as it doesn't affect me and I can see both sides of the argument. But activists causing trouble in the village warranting 10 policemen to be on patrol is crazy which is why those hippies should leave the countryside folk alone.
Old 12 October 2013, 08:25 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
It does, but that doesn't stop it from accidentally publishing the odd well researched and presented article, such as this one
I occasionally look at their web site, basically because it is free.
The Guardian seems to strike me as more of a lifestyle magazine than a serious paper.
I have looked at the article and I would not describe it as you do.
Anecdotal, agenda driven and poorly written is how it appears to me.
Each to their own I suppose.
Old 12 October 2013, 08:41 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

I bet they're all vegetarian too
I bet when nobody is looking they scoff bacon and sausages like its going out of fashion and BBQed badger legs too
Old 13 October 2013, 12:07 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good advice there turbo, as I was approaching I could see some sort of commotion ahead, and it looked as if the car had just turned around to drive off, followed by a few policemen starting to make chase on foot, that's when I decided to simple stop dead in the middle of the road. I guess if they had hit me then it would have been their fault?
I know you were genuinely helping, and it could have been taken as their fault. But even then, I'd rather you be safe than hurt, L. You're around my kids' age. For a nice young man you are, and a fellow SN poster, I wouldn't wish you to be in a risky situation of that kind, that's all.

Last edited by Turbohot; 13 October 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 13 October 2013, 01:24 AM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Depends what LSherrat was driving (tractor I hope) I would shoot the feckless fecktards and be done with it, it's been approved, it'll work or it won't, it won't wipe the badgers out.......whatever get on with it get it done and see what happens

Mick
Old 13 October 2013, 07:39 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

And hats off to the guys in the Arctic trying to stop the Ruskies f,ucking the place up.

dl
Please explain what they are going to do that's gong to **** the place up?
Old 13 October 2013, 01:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Please explain what they are going to do that's gong to **** the place up?
Oil leak?

dl
Old 13 October 2013, 01:39 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Odds on a oil leak are very slim to say the least.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Odds on a oil leak are very slim to say the least.
That's what BP said in the Gulf...........

The cleanest water in the world subject to all sorts of risks.

From WikiLeaks

Offshore oil production involves environmental risks, most notably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spill from oil tankers or pipelines transporting oil from the platform to onshore facilities, and from leaks and accidents on the platform.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offshore_drilling#cite_note-8 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Produced_water is also generated, which is excess water from oil or gas production and includes varying amounts of oil, or other chemicals used in, or resulting from, oil production. According to the organization Culture Change,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offshore_drilling#cite_note-9 a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Mexico rig dumps about 90,000 tons of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_fluid and cuttings over its lifetime, with its wells also contributing with heavy metals

dl
Old 13 October 2013, 05:07 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Sweet Jesus, now that's a source I haven't seen quoted before
Old 13 October 2013, 05:13 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

That's priceless David!
Old 13 October 2013, 05:24 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
That's what BP said in the Gulf...........

The cleanest water in the world subject to all sorts of risks.

From WikiLeaks

Offshore oil production involves environmental risks, most notably oil spills from oil tankers or pipelines transporting oil from the platform to onshore facilities, and from leaks and accidents on the platform.[8] Produced water is also generated, which is excess water from oil or gas production and includes varying amounts of oil, or other chemicals used in, or resulting from, oil production. According to the organization Culture Change,[9] a Gulf of Mexico rig dumps about 90,000 tons of drilling fluid and cuttings over its lifetime, with its wells also contributing with heavy metals

dl
If you look at the amount of wells drilled at Sea the world over every year the chances of a spill are minute due to stiff regulations etc etc

How old is that thing you've quoted as I know here in the North Sea most of the above regarding things being dumped do t actually happen, it's only people like yourself (with no experience) that 'think' it does.

Quick Reply: Badger activists.....