Battling the hornets AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2013, 04:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking Battling the hornets AGAIN!

Little b@stards!

The next person who tells me hornets never return to the same nest, or nest site, is getting a slap.

These little bar-stewards have been back FOUR years running, three in the same chimney flue!

It was a bit cool the other night, so I lit the pot-belly, (no, not mine, the stove). It smoked like hell and refused to draw, so I knew they were back. I smoked 'em out and burnt the nest in early summer, also at Easter, but yep, they are back again.

Every time I light the stove, they come down the chimney and into the cooker hood...there must be a hundred in there now.

Every time they come into it, I turn it on low and spara flyspray up it...then turn it off again. They don't like it up 'em...they go mad.

Meanwhile, I've killed over twenty that have somehow got into the kitchen past the fireplate at the bottom of the chimney opening. They get dispatched with a fly-swat, Rod Laver stylee....

TWELVE today! One was hanging on the tap handle, underneath. I was just about to run the tap and saw one of it's legs...

That one was dispatched with a flick from the forefinger that once broke a Subbuteo crossbar!

I WILL win!
Tonight, I've sourced some conduit and am going to insert it right up the chimney, preceded by fly spray, and totally anihilate the nest.

Wish me luck.......
Old 08 October 2013, 04:32 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least 20% of me wants you to get mauled

The other 80% wishes you luck
Old 08 October 2013, 04:35 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

thread....pictures.....video even better
Old 08 October 2013, 04:46 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

People dont realise how vicious these evil little ******* are! Good luck!

Find the biggest deadun you can and ping up a pic.
Old 08 October 2013, 04:46 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Chimney fire next!! Good luck with it
Old 08 October 2013, 04:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

LOL

Is the chimney lined?

I keep getting wasps nest in the attic. Swiftly dealt with via a propane torch (I never do things the safe way ), they keep coming back.

I also have a bumble bee nest under the floor in the garage, I've had them there for two year now. Not bothered to get rid of them yet, but they are quite amusing to watch, as they can only find their way in when the garage door is shut. When its open they can't find the entrance and just swarm around outside.

It does mean I can't work in there with the door shut and the lights on though as they swarm about inside and headbutt the lights.
Old 08 October 2013, 05:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to take the nest out and kill all the larvae which ideally want's to be done around now when they will fly off to mate, they produce larvae all year and then turn into full grown inside the capsules in the nest, so some will be new born so to speak.

You need to deal with the nest at night when there are no outside lights, to make sure they are all at home, that way you don't get any stragglers that re- start the nest.

Pick a cold dark night and they'll be dormant but you need to get them all in one go otherwise they will come back, there are special sprays you can get just for hornets, regular fly spray is not strong enough for them.
Old 08 October 2013, 11:25 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Perhaps a mapping session, some pipe from exhaust to fieplace chimney 8000 rpm should see them rite . They hate loud noise .just for good measure flick on the anti lag. good luck to u ! . Keep an eye out for false widows to there on the increase .
Old 09 October 2013, 06:30 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

This thread is making me itch.
Old 09 October 2013, 06:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We got Rentakill in; they didn't come back.
Horrible things.
Old 09 October 2013, 06:48 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Just had a nest destroyed.

Found an intact hornet dead on the floor - my son was delighted that he can take it to school for 'show and tell'
It's now in a jar....
Old 09 October 2013, 07:32 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
We got Rentakill in; they didn't come back.
Horrible things.
Bit harsh, I thought they were expensive.
Old 09 October 2013, 07:36 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Little b@stards!

The next person who tells me hornets never return to the same nest, or nest site, is getting a slap.

These little bar-stewards have been back FOUR years running, three in the same chimney flue!

It was a bit cool the other night, so I lit the pot-belly, (no, not mine, the stove). It smoked like hell and refused to draw, so I knew they were back. I smoked 'em out and burnt the nest in early summer, also at Easter, but yep, they are back again.

Every time I light the stove, they come down the chimney and into the cooker hood...there must be a hundred in there now.

Every time they come into it, I turn it on low and spara flyspray up it...then turn it off again. They don't like it up 'em...they go mad.

Meanwhile, I've killed over twenty that have somehow got into the kitchen past the fireplate at the bottom of the chimney opening. They get dispatched with a fly-swat, Rod Laver stylee....

TWELVE today! One was hanging on the tap handle, underneath. I was just about to run the tap and saw one of it's legs...

That one was dispatched with a flick from the forefinger that once broke a Subbuteo crossbar!

I WILL win!
Tonight, I've sourced some conduit and am going to insert it right up the chimney, preceded by fly spray, and totally anihilate the nest.

Wish me luck.......
Have you actually ever been stung by one though? You should feel lucky to have such exotic creatures prepared to spend quality time with you.
Old 09 October 2013, 07:53 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

^^you been on the crack pipe this morning?^^

******* horrible little barstewards they are!
Old 09 October 2013, 08:08 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Rather than constantly aggravating the Hornets if you really can't live with them it is best to contact the council/local authorities. Many will now relocate bees nests rather than destroy and see wasps as an environmental benefit which they are! Not sure about relocating Hornets, but nest is best completely removed once they have gone. Seems a shame to kill the little *******. You can sit beside a Hornet nest and watch them come and go, I have done it and they aren't bothered. It is only when nest is under attack that they kick off.
Old 09 October 2013, 08:42 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by alcazar
Little b@stards!

I WILL win!

Wish me luck.......

Old 09 October 2013, 10:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not been stung myself, touch wood, (maybe my four-leaf clover collection has protected me).

My wife got stung about seven years ago, three round her right eye. It swelled up so it was closed and for a week afterwoards she couldn't see out of it properly, plus the "bags" that are under your eyes filled out with fluid...she looked like Quasimodo. Couldn't drive for a week and was in agony all night after the stings.

We tried the local chemist, but she sent us straight to the doctor. Apparently, more than one sting can be dangerous

Keep in mind this is rural France: no Rentokil, the Pompiers (firemen) used to deal with nests, but don't now. I've been quoted between €80 and €150 to deal with it.

TBH, if it weren't blocking the chimney flue, I would ignore it, but they come down the chimney into the kitchen....and wife is due out by Ryanair in about ten days. She is understandably quite frightened of them, so I need to deal with them.

We had a nest in the rear stone wall, and I ignored them, they ignored me. This time of year, though, there's lots of roting fruit about, they can be very nasty. Someone told me they got "drunk" on the fermenting fruit juices?

I'll find one to photograph.

her's the collection from last time:

And closer with a ruler:

Bear in mind they curl up when they die...they are between 35 and 40mm long
Old 10 October 2013, 12:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Old 10 October 2013, 12:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

"Oh, it's all gone quiet over (up) there,
Oh it's all gone quiet over (up) there....."

Will be lighting the stove again tonight, gone really nippy here, 6 deg this morning, so then we'll see....
Old 10 October 2013, 12:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yep that's the ones we have here in Croatia, people die from their stings.

I'm just waiting for the weather to change before I deal with my 2 wasps nests and 2 hornets nests.

Surprisingly one of my hornets nests is about 1m from one of the wasp nests and the hornets have not killed them off.

Now I would normally leave them alone but one is in the garage roof another above the living room window and 2 near the washing line next to an out door eating area and there's no way I want them to get to the size of the one in my mates loft.
Old 10 October 2013, 12:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

You bought a house in the wrong place mate, 23 degrees here.
Old 12 October 2013, 11:26 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Rather than constantly aggravating the Hornets if you really can't live with them it is best to contact the council/local authorities. Many will now relocate bees nests rather than destroy and see wasps as an environmental benefit which they are! Not sure about relocating Hornets, but nest is best completely removed once they have gone. Seems a shame to kill the little *******. You can sit beside a Hornet nest and watch them come and go, I have done it and they aren't bothered. It is only when nest is under attack that they kick off.
Dead right - I had a nest appear at the bottom of my garden, called the council and when the Terminator came out he was very reluctant to destroy them. He reckoned it was a privilege to have hornets around as they are usually a woodland insect. So I left them alone and spent the odd moment watching them come and go (from a safe distance) and they were fine - probably best not to poke the nest with a stick though
Old 12 October 2013, 12:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

All the above is fine...so long as they haven't a) blocked my stove flue and b) don't come down the chimney and somehow into the kitchen when you light the stove.

Otherwise, I'd gladly ignore them...they are costing me time and money, plus aggro.
Old 12 October 2013, 05:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You will be ok next year as hornets never return to the same nest, or nest site
Old 12 October 2013, 07:05 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Except these French ones which have returned 4 years in a row as stated above lol

Mick
Old 12 October 2013, 08:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
Except these French ones which have returned 4 years in a row as stated above lol

Mick

I know I just copied his text
Old 12 October 2013, 09:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
You will be ok next year as hornets never return to the same nest, or nest site
Right: consider yourself slapped!
Old 12 October 2013, 09:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Old 13 October 2013, 01:04 AM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

I would feed them cheese and see what happens?

Mick
Old 13 October 2013, 09:19 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
I would feed them cheese and see what happens?

Mick
They'll surrender.

Quick Reply: Battling the hornets AGAIN!