Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tw@tting kids

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2013, 11:26 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tw@tting kids

Well like a ***** I insured my almost 21 year old son on my Freelander td4 to give him some independence. I knew straight away it was a mistake but you gotta try I guess. In about 4 months he has reversed into a trailer and torn the rear bumper,shattered the rear window,bent the edge of drivers door hitting a wall I assume,ruined the clutch,broke the glovebox and the radio and a fecking electric window, and now the ****ing ***** has driven it into our own driveway gates wrecking the door,quarter panel B post etc cracked the gate pillar and broken my electric gates.
I been away for the weekend motorhoming got a text off him saying your gonna kill me...drove home no sign of him Landrover left in garden keys left and the wheel arch left balancing somehow on the dents...Im ****ing fuming.
Old 29 September 2013, 11:38 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, a few wee accidents fair enough boys will be boys and all that, but he clearly isnt giving a flying ****, this is what happens when things are handed to you.

Remove him from your insurance, let him pay for his own car and his own insurance and see if he still has the couldn't give a **** mentality.
Old 29 September 2013, 11:39 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your kid sounds like a ****. I hope you won't be paying the repair bills.

I always thought my parents were a bit cuntish but they had the right idea. I got a car when I could afford to buy it, insure it and run it. I appreciate my wheels because of years of walking home in the ****ty winters and being at the mercy of public transport.
Old 29 September 2013, 11:39 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

And make him pay for the damage already done.
Old 29 September 2013, 12:27 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Lol I feel I've got this to come in a few years lol get hima banger, a metro or mk3 fiesta for 200£ and let him drive into what he wants , from the sounds of it your td4s a banger now let him have that..... Harsh story though mate not a nice way to get home.
I gotta admit I crashed into my dad's house and wrote off his 3ltr senator but I stayed to take the heat (this was many years ago before I had a lisence and was doing a burn out on my drive at 15 ish, why I thought it would be a good idea I do not know) that was the worst thing I ever did as a youth, but I paid for it doing work in the garden lol
Old 29 September 2013, 12:43 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

It seems more like a don't give a f*ck attitude rather than genuine accidents
And after the first couple of incidents I would have been looking at canceling the insurance
You've really only got yourself to blame for letting him keep getting away with it
The term " spoilt brat " springs to mind I'm afraid
Old 29 September 2013, 12:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does look like it.

If he isn't paying for the repairs, or the insurance, why should he care?
Old 29 September 2013, 02:48 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
Well like a ***** I insured my almost 21 year old son on my Freelander td4 to give him some independence. I knew straight away it was a mistake but you gotta try I guess. In about 4 months he has reversed into a trailer and torn the rear bumper,shattered the rear window,bent the edge of drivers door hitting a wall I assume,ruined the clutch,broke the glovebox and the radio and a fecking electric window, and now the ****ing ***** has driven it into our own driveway gates wrecking the door,quarter panel B post etc cracked the gate pillar and broken my electric gates.
I been away for the weekend motorhoming got a text off him saying your gonna kill me...drove home no sign of him Landrover left in garden keys left and the wheel arch left balancing somehow on the dents...Im ****ing fuming.
I'm not surprised your fuming!!! Has he actually passed his test yet?
Old 29 September 2013, 02:55 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Hmmmm, a few wee accidents fair enough boys will be boys and all that, but he clearly isnt giving a flying ****, this is what happens when things are handed to you.

Remove him from your insurance, let him pay for his own car and his own insurance and see if he still has the couldn't give a **** mentality.
Yep!
Old 29 September 2013, 03:07 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

We are doing the opposite. We are buying our son a brand new car, making him pay for the insurance. We hope that being new he will look after it and if crashed will have the latest technology for saftey.

Feel your pain.
Old 29 September 2013, 03:43 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Has the world gone feckin mad
Insuring your kids cars , buying em new cars
Don't get me wrong I'm all for seeing that kids are looked after
But we are talking about young adults
Why can't they work and earn there own money and buy a car
And if they can't , tough , wait until they can
No wonder we have a generation that's work shy and think the world owes them a living
Old 29 September 2013, 03:45 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

the job center doesnt pay enough lol
Old 29 September 2013, 03:59 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

I would throw the theory out about buying kids a new car because they are less likely to crash , right out the window
It's possible it will cause more problems

"Hey it's new so I'm safer " er not really
" no way " "I'm not having an old corsa over taking me"
" they're soft and love me, I'm sure they'll get me another if it gets broke/smashed"
" I'll just tell em it wasn't my fault "
Old 29 September 2013, 04:20 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
We are doing the opposite. We are buying our son a brand new car, making him pay for the insurance. We hope that being new he will look after it and if crashed will have the latest technology for saftey.

Feel your pain.
IF crashed,
don't you mean
WHEN crashed ?

Old 29 September 2013, 04:25 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

When, if ..... Makes no difference it's only metal.
I never said he was less likely to crash it. I said it would have the latest technology if crashed.

The car is incidental ...... It's the person inside I care about.
Old 29 September 2013, 04:47 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

How can your son be such a sh1te driver? No wonder insurance for younger people is so expensive!
Old 29 September 2013, 04:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I had to work to pay for my lessons then save to buy a car which took forever.

I'm sure many here are similar?
Old 29 September 2013, 04:57 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I blame the parents.
Old 29 September 2013, 05:03 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toneh
Has the world gone feckin mad
Insuring your kids cars , buying em new cars
Don't get me wrong I'm all for seeing that kids are looked after
But we are talking about young adults
Why can't they work and earn there own money and buy a car
And if they can't , tough , wait until they can
No wonder we have a generation that's work shy and think the world owes them a living
Back in the day in 6th form I don't remember any of my peer group being bought new cars. I think one mate may have had an old panda bought for him, but he had to insure it IIRC, another inherited an old Datsun from his granddad. Cars were costly to run and those who had cars available were in a sizable minority.

An aquintance in the year above was killed when he crashed his car into a tree, and his passenger suffered a brain injury. There were quite a few car wrecks when were say 17 to 21...a bad age group for risk taking.

I never owned a car then lol. I didn't get a car until my late 20's.
Old 29 September 2013, 05:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
The car is incidental ...... It's the person inside I care about.
Same here. I'd add some care for the person/animal outside the car as well.

I bought my son his first car, and he bought his insurance himself. He did have a job, so he paid for fuel, services etc. himself. In its early days he pulled out like a turnip while driving downhill and caused a small dent on some other car, but no one was hurt. He and his car were fine, but he had to borrow money from his dad to pay for other car's repair. He paid back to his dad in 3 instalments. He has recently bought his second car with his dad (both went halves on it), and they'll work something out when it comes to expenses. His dad also wants the luxury of driving a soft top Mazda MX5 , so he had to pay half.

Dad bought our daughter dear her first Corsa (a cousin's reject) that she hated, and hardly drove. It ended up being re-sold. She isn't interested in getting a car for herself atm, and we aren't going to get her another one, either. She'll have to pay for all of it, when she can afford to.

I did look into insuring my kids on my cars, but I was told not to do so. Scooby would have been out of question. Other cars with powerful engines were not right either with the cost of insurance for young drivers. It would have also caused inconvenience if they had crashed them here n' there. Best idea is to buy them another car which they can afford to crash. Don't insure them on your expensive cars, and the cars that you use for work. If it's some banger on the side, go for it. But not your good car.
Old 29 September 2013, 05:41 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

There was a case of a young lad on a forum in the states a few years back asking " how to max out an m5
Shortly after there were reports of fatalities involving an m5
Him and his mates in the car had been killed
Iirc it was his dads
If ever there was a reason not to have a youngster on your insurance for a powerful car this is it
Old 29 September 2013, 06:13 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Dull head here paid for all his lessons test etc,your all right he appreciates **** all...he has sat on his **** in the house whilst his mother and I started to repair the gates,then dismantle the interior to try and bosh out the dents.Ive boshed them out quite badly and hammerited the damage and siliconed the wing trim back on...also noticed a bent front panel radiator and some other damage...although he knows nothing of it of course. Lesson learnt he can ****ing walk now.
fkin kids

Last edited by Busterbulldog; 29 September 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 29 September 2013, 06:33 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Try to look on the bright side mate, at least your lad hasn't hurt anyone and isn't a casualty himself, and hopefully will come to his senses and appreciate what you have tried to do for him.
In the meantime let him walk!
Old 29 September 2013, 06:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Try to look on the bright side mate, at least your lad hasn't hurt anyone and isn't a casualty himself...
Agree.

Lessons and tests make good gifts for 17th and 18th birthdays. After they have acquired their proper licence, parents at the most should buy them a cheap, small engine car with modern safety features for their 19th, and let them afford fuel and upcoming bills themselves.

Regret no more, Buster. What's happened has happened. At least the boy is ok. Now take him off your insurance, and tell him to get a car for himself when he can afford it. If his mummy feels a bit sorry for him, get a small engine cheapo runabout for him with nort to sixty in 3 days, but that's only if he can afford to run it. Tell him to get a job if he wants to run a car.

Last edited by Turbohot; 29 September 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 29 September 2013, 07:35 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Good luck!!
my first car bought for me and on my parents insurance I wrote off hitting another car! No one hurt but I got a good *** kicking! Made me learn quick from then on I had to fund everything myself! Still at 25 I can't afford a subaru turbo because of my faults and points but you learn from your errors!! So I chug along in a sport for the time being!!
Old 29 September 2013, 07:42 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Isn't having a young person on your insurance illegal?
Old 29 September 2013, 09:40 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Agree.

Lessons and tests make good gifts for 17th and 18th birthdays. After they have acquired their proper licence, parents at the most should buy them a cheap, small engine car with modern safety features for their 19th, and let them afford fuel and upcoming bills themselves.

Regret no more, Buster. What's happened has happened. At least the boy is ok. Now take him off your insurance, and tell him to get a car for himself when he can afford it. If his mummy feels a bit sorry for him, get a small engine cheapo runabout for him with nort to sixty in 3 days, but that's only if he can afford to run it. Tell him to get a job if he wants to run a car.
Mummy hates him atm ,I bought the Freelander for her,to save her using the best car as a runaround.
Old 29 September 2013, 09:42 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Isn't having a young person on your insurance illegal?
In what way? I insured him for work business and pleasure all bases covered no lieing ,no fronting, myself my wife and another employee are also insured to drive it.
Old 29 September 2013, 09:47 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I paid for the boys driving lesson and he passed first time in ten weeks
I taught him to drive off road when he was 13

My parents gave him their old rover which he pranged form end one. Night
New wing and headlamp from scrappie and polished out the dents best we could do was not amused
He then went through a clutch and somehow manged to smash a gear box whic we weren't pleased about but he settled down and then we bought him a brand new corsa 1litre when he was 18 which ended up woth full bodykit on and was real show car
That sort of taught him too look after it as all his money went in modifications. Etc

When he was 21 we helped out for the 350z whic he kept for 4 years and again no spills or speeding fines etc so he matured I to a sensible lad
He is in Australia now and again we had to help him but a Suzuki swift but he has paid us back now but then hints are dropping for more cash for a house as his residential is coming through so no dout the bank of parents again but i will get it back when I live out there at his expense for 6 months of the year when I retire in a few years time

Kids
Well your only here once so you might as well do the best you can for them
Old 29 September 2013, 10:00 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I think if he was my son, I would be driving him everywhere, mainly because he would be incapable of walking.

It is something which pisses me of about the UK driving test, perfect a couple of basic manoeuvres and demonstrate the most basic concepts of car control and you are handed the keys to a lethal weapon, then sent out into the streets to play with it.

You're money, your car, your son and ultimately your choice, but I would be putting him though a series of assessed drives to ascertain whether he is actually capable of driving to the required standard, for his safety and that of others. Remember his lessons only taught him how to pass a test, I bet they didn't even cover the basics of reversing into a bay between parked cars.

Quick Reply: Tw@tting kids