Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

my 1st trip to italy (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2013, 01:59 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default my 1st trip to italy (pic heavy)

i have literally just got back from italy (about an hour ago) and i wanted to share my experience with you...............

i never really knew how poor italy was until this past week,it was to be honest.....a bit of a shock.i have always thought of italy as being very wealthy and rich all over,the big names like lamborghini,ferrari,gucci and armani etc etc filling your head with all things nice about the country but there is a dark side that i suppose doesnt get mentioned.

the transfer from the airport to sorrento took us through the bay of naples where i got my 1st view of the poor side to italy,cars dumped at the side of the road covered in moss hinting that they have been there a long long time and no council to remove them.abandoned warehouses on both sides of the road and shanty towns built wherever there was space,people living under tin huts with old refridgerators stacked up for walls........

its almost as though someone shouted STOP halfway through a working day,forklifts parked up in the open with products on them just rusting away,old concrete yards locked up with machinery left out to rust-no intention of being sold by the liquidators to regain some money,scrap metal yards just forgot about,rows and rows of scooters and cars just locked away never to be used again,crumbling apartment blocks still housing people but yet they looked fit for demolition...............very shocking to see really and it really shows that the economy is failing all over and not just in the uk

on monday we went to pompeii and it was very interesting to learn how those people lived back then and how much they suffered when vesuvius spilled its guts

on tuesday we hired a motor boat and went around capri and up and down the amalfi coast,very fun day with me as the skipper at the helm

we also went on the amalfi coast tour which was a very very good experience,we met some lovely people and we ate some great food over there,all in all we had a brilliant time and its been a big eye opener to me,nothing is as it seems these days

oh and i saw 1 subaru over there,one of the saloon versions-new type with the same front as the hatch,other than that it was a mixture of small euro boxes and audi's............yawn

all in all amongst the poor areas there is a very beautiful country full of some of the hardest working,proud and friendly people i have ever met

anyway enough of my silly slobber..........heres some pics

pompeii.....

strange name for a cruise firm.....

a road made for the scooby....

Old 28 September 2013, 07:52 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Where are the run down areas you were talking sbout? And the women ?
Old 28 September 2013, 07:56 AM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That run down bit is an archeological site... go into any city/town and the wealth is very obvious...go into the sticks and it is the old world..
Old 28 September 2013, 08:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pix!

Is the cruise company a subsidiary of dignitas?
Old 28 September 2013, 08:34 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have been to the Sorrento area for the last two years, it is an amazing and beautiful place
Old 28 September 2013, 08:36 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Have been to the Sorrento area for the last two years, it is an amazing and beautiful place
apart from the kamikaze motorists
Old 28 September 2013, 08:41 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Did the same last year. Ercolano is a bit run down as you walk down to Herculaneum. Sorrento is extremely touristy now.
Old 28 September 2013, 09:35 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
apart from the kamikaze motorists
How on earth there aren't more accidents I do not know, they are crazy especially the scooterists!! BTW I only saw one Ferrari and that was on British plates!!
Old 28 September 2013, 09:38 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
How on earth there aren't more accidents I do not know, they are crazy especially the scooterists!! BTW I only saw one Ferrari and that was on British plates!!
i saw 1 aswell as a maserati

every car had damage on it over there aswell
Old 28 September 2013, 10:45 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the cars have damage because it's normal to hit bumpers when parking because apparently that's what they are for my best mate lives just outside Milan in a place called Vigevano which is beautiful and has the second best piazza in Italy (1st being st marks) it's really gone down these past few years as it's now full of immigrants from places like somalia, turkey, romania, and other eastern block countries even have chinese and Indians now, 6yrs ago I was a novelty because of my light brown colour, now you can't move for wogs and that's coming from someone "of colour" as they put it.

Used to be able to leave your car and front door open, now he and his Mrs carry tazers everywhere and sleep with them too as the crime rate has gone through the roof in 3yrs, most of which is robbery and stealing anything that's not nailed down, (her farther is a gun dealer only used to sell guns for hunting now he is doing a roaring trade in tazers and other personal protection items) quite a few people they know have had houses broken into and been robbed while asleep because it's quite common to have a safe because everyone works on the black cash in hand (might have something to do with why the economy is fooked, corruption is rife) and the thieves now know this and wake folks up to open it and give them a good hiding into the bargain sometimes too.

Lot's of big dogs appearing too, used to be fashionable to have a Paris Hilton type dog now it's Dogo Argentinos, Cane Corso's and Dobermans, I really can't stress enough how much of a **** hole the place has turned into in the last 3yrs compared to how it was, gypsies rumageing through bins and leaving the contents all over the street, you can't leave anything in the car at night sunglasses, CD's even small change like a couple of Euros will have you coming back to a smashed window in the morning, hookers from every corner of the globe line the streets at night in the industrial areas with small fires to let punters know they are there, mini "shanty towns" cropping up all over the place, the town is under siege, very sad to see and it's apparently happening all over Italy.

The place has really gone to the dogs with no sign of any improvement as more people are coming every week by land and sea, I was there recently and in total shock at how a beautiful little commuter town / hamlet could change so drastically in such a short space of time.

So for those of you that think the UK has got it bad, that's just the tip of the iceberg compared to what's going on in Italy now, payback from the colonies and beyond.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 28 September 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 28 September 2013, 11:13 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

We have been to Naples and Pompeii, took in Capri as well.
Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between knackered parts of Naples and volcanic destruction in Pompeii!

Edited to add, the motoring is just bonkers in Naples, laugh a minute if you're not actually in a car though

Last edited by Blue by You; 28 September 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 28 September 2013, 11:20 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
We have been to Naples and Pompeii, took in Capri as well.
Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between knackered parts of Naples and volcanic destruction in Pompeii!

Edited to add, the motoring is just bonkers in Naples, laugh a minute if you're not actually in a car though
its the only country i know where YOU can decide what the traffic lights say

utter chaos
Old 28 September 2013, 12:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah most people don't know the real consequences of a ton of immigrants rocking up in your neighborhood, it's always someone or somewhere else that must accommodate them.

I haven't been to Italy but might visit Florence or Rome in the near future.
Old 29 September 2013, 12:38 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

been all over Italy

I knocked a chap off a scooter once, he just got back on, waved his arms and off he went

broke down there as well, got well looked after, got driven all over Asti by a mechanic, nice bloke

Naples is proper dodgy, you think there are nut jobs over here, nothing to there

Very interesting country

Last edited by LeeMac; 29 September 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 29 September 2013, 12:45 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

check out a film / documentary - Gomorrah, an insight into Naples
Old 29 September 2013, 09:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Great pix!

Is the cruise company a subsidiary of dignitas?
I believe a certain Franceso Shettino first command?
Old 29 September 2013, 05:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, good pictures.

But how do I know you went there, unless you are in the pictures, hm? Not that I know your face, and it could be anyone, I know. But when people just stick scenery pictures, it doesn't prove that they've been there. If it is you, your missus and the baby in the 21st pic, I believe you more.
Old 29 September 2013, 07:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yes, good pictures.

But how do I know you went there, unless you are in the pictures, hm? Not that I know your face, and it could be anyone, I know. But when people just stick scenery pictures, it doesn't prove that they've been there. If it is you, your missus and the baby in the 21st pic, I believe you more.
i will get the pic of me on the speedboat off my mrs and put it up,aint got a baby so cant put a pic up of that
Old 29 September 2013, 07:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

i will get the pic of me on the speedboat off my mrs and put it up,aint got a baby so cant put a pic up of that
Cool.

We'll wait for your baby's pics once you've had the cherub.
Old 29 September 2013, 07:52 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Cool.

We'll wait for your baby's pics once you've had the cherub.
you will be in for a lifetime wait then matey
Old 29 September 2013, 07:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

you will be in for a lifetime wait then matey

LOL ok.

Look forward to your speedboat pic in Italy.