Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Window cleaning, is it actually necessary/worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2013, 09:54 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window cleaning, is it actually necessary/worth it?

I am sure there will be window cleaners on here and, yes everyone has to make a living. We have a chap comes round once a month and I know he does a thorough job - dangerous with ladders etc - but I don't really think it needs doing. Twice a year would be adequate in my opinion. We no longer live in smog filled Victorian Britain. I think my wife wants this doing because all the neighbours have it done. At £8 a go in cash-strapped times I think we should be saving the money. Any thoughts?
Old 24 September 2013, 10:00 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent had mine done for 4+years, windows are a bit dirty from the inside but you dont notice it on the outside, tbh im never home enough to care anyway
Old 24 September 2013, 10:04 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't had mine done for years, a good shower of rain and the occasional squirt from a hose does the job, I'm one level up above ground though.
Old 24 September 2013, 10:12 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My butler does mine on a monthly basis.
Old 24 September 2013, 10:15 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Never had a window cleaner, always done our own with a bucket and chammy but now the wife has just bought a Karcher window cleaner which works a treat.

Nik
Old 24 September 2013, 10:18 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Last time we had one I was living with folks. We had a Pop Man at the time too. And the post came before anyone woke up.. Oh those were the days
Old 24 September 2013, 10:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

don't have ours done either, cannot see the point, as soon as it rains they would be dirty again so it would be like washing my car and then it raining afterwards - pointless really, except I don't take the windows out.....

if they get to the point I cannot see through them it'll save me closing the curtains
Old 24 September 2013, 10:20 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mates a window cleaner and earns £40k+ per year. Not bad if you ask me!! Of course he tells the taxman that he earns £12.5k so his tax bill is pretty low....
Old 24 September 2013, 10:27 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I know of one who has a holiday home in Florida, no doubt adopting a similar tax system

Nik.

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
My mates a window cleaner and earns £40k+ per year. Not bad if you ask me!! Of course he tells the taxman that he earns £12.5k so his tax bill is pretty low....
Old 25 September 2013, 02:04 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It must be an extremely good earner for the cleaners but it is so so pointless having it done. At least we aren't having our wheelie bins cleaned. Who needs a clean bin?
Old 25 September 2013, 06:28 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Well paid job
Our window cleaner at work charges £25 for 2 shop windows and a double door £25 as its invoiced once a week as we can't pay a tenner cash out of the till

Windows at home
Misses and me do the conservatory just once a year which takes us 3 hours
Window cleaner wanted £40
We do our bedroom windows every couple of months as they are bays so we can do from the inside
Only tricky one is the hall window which is massive and a ladder job which I do once a year not keen as it's a bit high up but again misses holds the ladder and uses the hose pipe on it

Again the window cleaner wanted £50 once a month
No chance

They charge a £20 for one of my neighbours for a bungalow once a month and takes then just over half an hour

Nice job for someone who likes going up ladders
Old 25 September 2013, 06:52 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

£15 for ours once a month and we have a LOT of windows. Essential here for removal of seagull muck and non stop sea spray/salt.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Same as mattee, 100 yards from the front southwesterly gale and you practicality can't see out. 12 quid. Every two months their own water through one those brushes on a pole
Cos there's no way you could get to the back ones 3 storys up
Old 25 September 2013, 07:49 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

£5 every two weeks, and to be honest its well worth it for me, some of the windowns are a pita to get too, and he does a good job on the windows.

My only annoyance is that he stands on my kitchen extension to wash the landing window, and considering I have just paid £4k to have the whole back repointed, tiles replaced, ridge tiles reset, and new stone flagging, It's just a little bit annoying! I think I'll invest on a cat ladder!
Old 25 September 2013, 07:52 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Same as mattee, 100 yards from the front southwesterly gale and you practicality can't see out. 12 quid. Every two months their own water through one those brushes on a pole
Where are you dpb? I know it's near the sea but not sure where!
Old 25 September 2013, 08:01 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Ours used to charge £6 or £8 i cant remember, but he just stopped doing them, no word nothing.. strange. hard to find a decent one that doesnt charge stupid money and does a good job!
Old 25 September 2013, 08:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

East Sussex
Old 25 September 2013, 09:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

We pay £8 a pop, twice a month...or when he needs the money

But he won't clean either the larger bathroom window, (he would have to stand on the outhouse roof), or my eldest son's bedroom window, (he would have to stand on the conservatory.

He actually cleans 5 large, two small, the backdoor and sidelight and the conservatory...so not bad.
Old 25 September 2013, 10:21 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
£5 every two weeks, and to be honest its well worth it for me, some of the windowns are a pita to get too, and he does a good job on the windows.

My only annoyance is that he stands on my kitchen extension to wash the landing window, and considering I have just paid £4k to have the whole back repointed, tiles replaced, ridge tiles reset, and new stone flagging, It's just a little bit annoying! I think I'll invest on a cat ladder!
You've just spent £4k on improving your roof and he still stands on it, you only find it "a little bit annoying"? Could you just tell him not to? if you're not up to it maybe your missus could have a word !!
Old 25 September 2013, 11:10 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Same here, they use special fancy de-ionised water, which is waaaaaaay better than ordinary water or its a load of bollocks, either way, £5 every two weeks, 4 bed detached, so pretty good value methinks.
Old 25 September 2013, 12:21 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB
You've just spent £4k on improving your roof and he still stands on it, you only find it "a little bit annoying"? Could you just tell him not to? if you're not up to it maybe your missus could have a word !!
Lets put it this way, I told the Window Cleaner, he did it again, this time breaking a slate. No drama I thought to myself, it is currently 28 degrees, and the summer is going to be dry, or at least that is how it fortunately ended up anyway. I get the roof repaired and more so when I was planning on having some other work done, and several weeks go by and no sign of the window cleaner.

One Friday around a month after having the work done, theres a slip through the letter box from the WC informing me he would be collect the £ on Friday. Unfortuantly I was at work and the misses tried again to explain to the WC. Another month goes by, and I find that my windows have been cleaned, and yes the one above my kitchen has also been cleaned with no sign of damage to my roof.

Last month he was caught by me on my kitchen roof, but as usual with no cat ladder. This time a little miffed, I went on the Tinterweb and printed this off, and put it up against the said window!

nereikia stovėti ant mano virtuvės stogo

Now im just hoping he can bloody read, or he's sacked!

Rob
Old 25 September 2013, 01:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Dont have a windows cleaner, do them myself. Rains far too much to pay someone to clean them fortnightly.

Richard
Old 25 September 2013, 02:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon that most wives are worried in case other wives criticise the state of their windows.

Les
Old 25 September 2013, 02:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
He's got a lot of ***** to try and stiff HMRC. This is a electronic age and they watch lots if things. HMRC are ruthless in clawing back owed taxes.
Old 25 September 2013, 03:46 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
He's got a lot of ***** to try and stiff HMRC. This is a electronic age and they watch lots if things. HMRC are ruthless in clawing back owed taxes.
Trouble is, how many households pay with card or DD?

And how many Window Cleaners invoice the household?

Cash sales are always going to be "unofficial earnings"
Old 25 September 2013, 03:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I am sure there will be window cleaners on here and, yes everyone has to make a living. We have a chap comes round once a month and I know he does a thorough job - dangerous with ladders etc - but I don't really think it needs doing. Twice a year would be adequate in my opinion. We no longer live in smog filled Victorian Britain. I think my wife wants this doing because all the neighbours have it done. At £8 a go in cash-strapped times I think we should be saving the money. Any thoughts?
Apparently global warming is on the wane too but it is much worse now than Victorian times.

I think it all comes down to pride, self discipline and caring about your surroundings.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:38 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

I run my own window cleaning business, we use all the latest equipment and even clean offices over 60ft high. Lots has changed in this business now and its much safer and better than a few years ago.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't have a window cleaner anymore. Last time I saw him I gave him 2 quid over because I didn't have change on me, nor did he. But then he never came back. I don't mind, as he did **** job, anyway. I'm not paying eight quid for him just to mess about on his ladder. If windows are left dusty around the edges, I'd rather clean them myself, or just let them get more dusty, I don't care. If I pay you or even if I don't pay you, you do as you promise- simple. Otherwise, jog on.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:39 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I lick mine most days
Old 25 September 2013, 07:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I lick mine most days

Quick Reply: Window cleaning, is it actually necessary/worth it?