Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just been on speed awareness course

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2013, 06:22 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just been on speed awareness course

I have never seen 25 more different people. 75+ year old men and women, well to do people, an old Indian taxi driver but nobody under 30 which I found really interesting.

Don't know if it will make me drive that much differently but will make a real effort to keep to 30 in built up areas (I don't do much more but seeing the difference 5 miles an hour makes made me think)
Old 10 September 2013, 06:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I watched police interceptors on at 8pm, and then Motorway Cops at 9pm. Today when I drove to my girlfriends house (17 miles) I drove 10mph slower than what I usually would.... Doubt I'll be able to keep it up but those program's defiantly made me think.
Old 10 September 2013, 07:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone I know went on one.
I had him primed to ask why, if the cameras WERE for safety, they were preferred to take photos of the FRONT of vehicles, and cannot, therefore, catch motorbikes speeding?
Yet motorbikes make up nearly 40% of serious and fatal accidents, out of only 4% of road users.
You'd think they would target bikes?

The police sergeant running the course first questioned his figures, then stated that the camera VANS can take photos in both directions.
On being questioned about THAT, he first tried to say there are two people in each van.
Loudly shouted down for that lie, he threatened to eject anyone who continued the argument from the course, promising they would NOT be refunded the course money, but would then get the £60 fine and three points as WELL.

Who says it's not about revenue?
Old 10 September 2013, 07:56 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

I must say that driving on busy avg speed controlled dual carriageways at 50 mph with motor bikes "filtering" at well above the speed limit does cause me to wonder about this as well.
They get well arsey when you change lanes when they are miles back as well.
Think bike
Old 10 September 2013, 08:01 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Someone I know went on one.
I had him primed to ask why, if the cameras WERE for safety, they were preferred to take photos of the FRONT of vehicles, and cannot, therefore, catch motorbikes speeding?
Yet motorbikes make up nearly 40% of serious and fatal accidents, out of only 4% of road users.

The police sergeant running the course first questioned his figures, then stated that the camera VANS can take photos in both directions.
On being questioned about THAT, he first tried to say there are two people in each van.
Loudly shouted down for that lie, he threatened to eject anyone who continued the argument from the course, promising they would NOT be refunded the course money, but would then get the £60 fine and three points as WELL.

Who says it's not about revenue?
My mate went on one last year,got caught doing 50 on a single carriageway in his truck..He said to the person running course,i find that if i travel at 40mph people in cars get more impatient and will take higher risks to overtake,if i travel at 50mph they will take less risks over taking and tend to stay behind me more.
He then said have ever tried driving at 40mph from Edinburgh to Newcastle on the A1 all the way at that speed,apart from the odd section of dual carriageway,You should try it sometime.
Old 10 September 2013, 08:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Don't know if it will make me drive that much differently but will make a real effort to keep to 30 in built up areas (I don't do much more but seeing the difference 5 miles an hour makes made me think)
Sounds like you got something out of it then which is good. We all like to be a bit naughty with the old right foot sometimes, but maybe we don;t always consider the consequences even after driving for nearly 30 years in my case!
Old 10 September 2013, 08:40 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure the police don't run any of the courses. The one I did was booked through and ran by AA Drivetech, the person hosting the course was just a driving instructor from the AA

Camera vans can get you from front or rear, I got caught slightly over the speed limit going away from a van!! I even have the photo of the offence

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2013, 08:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Most bike accidents aren't the fault of the rider, they're the fault of other drivers failing to see them, or failing to react appropriately even if they do.

I've had drivers pull out into my path on roundabouts even after making eye contact... they see a small vehicle as an empty space, even if (as in my case) that vehicle is brightly coloured and has a bloke in a hi-viz jacket sitting on it.
Old 10 September 2013, 09:30 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sounds like you got something out of it then which is good. We all like to be a bit naughty with the old right foot sometimes, but maybe we don;t always consider the consequences even after driving for nearly 30 years in my case!
I agree, and will certainly take more care in the 30 area but if you're out in the countryside and can see the road ahead, the old right foot can put a big grin on your face

The alternative is to buy a Kia

Last edited by AndyBaker; 10 September 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10 September 2013, 09:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have been done for speeding 3 times in my life; twice with my old 300bhp Impreza, and once with Audi Quattro . But never have been fortunate enough to go on one of them speed awareness courses. I never got invited. Perhaps they didn't exist before 2007. Anyway, I've been very good since then.
Old 10 September 2013, 09:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
I agree, and will certainly take more care in the 30 area but if you're out in the countryside and can see the road ahead, the old right foot can put a big grin on your face
Absolutely
Old 10 September 2013, 09:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I have been done for speeding 3 times in my life; twice with my old 300bhp Impreza, and once with Audi Quattro . But never have been fortunate enough to go on one of them speed awareness courses. I never got invited. Perhaps they didn't exist before 2007. Anyway, I've been very good since then.
You had an Audi Quattro... the Audi Quattro??
Old 10 September 2013, 09:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Most bike accidents aren't the fault of the rider, they're the fault of other drivers failing to see them, or failing to react appropriately even if they do.

I've had drivers pull out into my path on roundabouts even after making eye contact... they see a small vehicle as an empty space, even if (as in my case) that vehicle is brightly coloured and has a bloke in a hi-viz jacket sitting on it.
Doesn't alter two facts:
Bikers DO speed, and,
If speeding, more likely to be injured in resulting collision.

Yet they aren't targeted....no revenue, too few of them.
Old 10 September 2013, 10:02 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Ive been busted for speeding. I was a real man and was going to fast for the course. 3 points and £60 fine...
Old 10 September 2013, 10:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You had an Audi Quattro... the Audi Quattro??
Yes, sir. A few Audis with 4WDs I have driven. Actually, even a very original one from 1982 or 83, I think. I 'think', because that was actually not mine, it was Mr. ex-files'. He got the engine done and all from some rally person. Amazing car, I have to say. A8 was his as well. I didn't like it for that being an automatic. A4 and A6 were mine. One A4 went bang with the cambelt, others have now gone. I now have your very favourite VW Luxury Passat 2.00 Turbo Diesel Injection.

I dream to personally own an R8 one day.
Old 10 September 2013, 10:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yes, sir. A few Audis with 4WDs I have driven. Actually, even a very original one from 1982 or 83, I think. I 'think', because that was actually not mine, it was Mr. ex-files'. He got the engine done and all from some rally person. Amazing car, I have to say. A8 was his as well. I didn't like it for that being an automatic. A4 and A6 were mine. One A4 went bang with the cambelt, others have now gone. I now have your very favourite VW Luxury Passat 2.00 Turbo Diesel Injection.

I dream to personally own an R8 one day.
Love the early 80s Quattro... got me into rallying did the look of that car!
Old 10 September 2013, 10:32 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I recall someone on here posting a while back about having been on a speed awareness course. It sticks in my mind as the poster had arrived in his Impreza and had been met with a frown from the person giving the course who arrived in an MPV. "We all don't need 300bhp Japanese sports cars to show how fast we can drive" he started off by telling the group. "Yes, and we don't all need MPVs to show how virile we are" replied our member*

Hope you still post on here! :

*Some of the fine details may be wrong but I'm sure this was tjhe story posted here.

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 10 September 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10 September 2013, 10:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, beautiful car indeed.
Old 10 September 2013, 10:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Always stick the cruise on when I'm in 30 or 40 these days, why would you not?
Old 10 September 2013, 10:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you mean like this one?

Old 10 September 2013, 10:46 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Old 10 September 2013, 11:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Not as flash, but a bit like that.
Old 10 September 2013, 11:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

I took these last year at the drift challenge at Hockenheim race track.
Old 10 September 2013, 11:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Fantastic, Wurzel.
Old 10 September 2013, 11:26 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Old 10 September 2013, 11:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Yeah? Less than a week ago, I had a tw@t on a moped pull straight across the front of my fully loaded Mondeo estate and trailer combination. Did he look? Did he ****! Six foot hedges either side of the junction and he just went for it without even stopping at the "Give Way" sign.

I wish I'd not managed to perform an emergency stop in time and clipped his rear wheel which would have sent him flying in to the path of traffic passing in the opposite direction. he;d have ****ing managed to learn a lesson then. ****ing scooterist. Think Bike = Think Tw@t.

If I hadn't reacted appropriately He'd have regretted it. Bikers are as bad as cyclists.
Old 11 September 2013, 07:11 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

I read* that 25% of fatal motorcycle accidents don't involve another vehicle.
A large number of motor cyclists are young and male - ie immortal
Over confidence and aggression are a heady mix.
And with the "Think Bike" message being propagated these days - nothing that happens to them is ever their fault?
My favourite is two up on a bike in the dark p1ssing wet, filtering at 80+ mph. And it ain't uncommon.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Last edited by cster; 11 September 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11 September 2013, 07:48 AM
Type20Paul
Scooby Regular

When I got done for speeding it was in Scotland where no awareness courses were even offered in the jurisdiction. It annoys me that if you get caught in one place you will get point and in another you might just get a course. I'd have taken a course over the points! At 22 the insurance rise cost me much more than the fine and point ever would have.

RE bikers. I have friends who bike and always try and give them space and make life easy for them, but some of them are just plain idiotic when they get on their machines. There are two that are only alive thanks to my fast reactions - one was cornering at high speed (I would say a bare minimum of 80) on a country road near where I used to live and leaning heavily so his head was near enough in the middle of the other side of the road. I managed to just make it between his head and the wall on the inside of the bend but his head must have been inches from being hit by the A-pillar of the car I was driving and the closing speed would have been at least 120mph! The second went for an in town overtake and straight into my path. Missed him by a whisker when I swerved. The only thing I can say for that guy was at least he waved and gestured to show his appreciation and apologise. I do find myself thinking bikers are like lawyers - 90% of them give the others a bad name...
Old 11 September 2013, 08:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I read* that 25% of fatal motorcycle accidents don't involve another vehicle.
A large number of motor cyclists are young and male - ie immortal
Over confidence and aggression are a heady mix.
And with the "Think Bike" message being propagated these days - nothing that happens to them is ever their fault?
My favourite is two up on a bike in the dark p1ssing wet, filtering at 80+ mph. And it ain't uncommon.

*Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good link, thanks for posting it. The findings in the Hurt Report seem to pretty much agree with what I've been taught on the RoSPA and police BikeSafe courses I've done, and I've highlighted the things that particularly stand out to me:

Originally Posted by The Hurt Report
The Hurt Report concluded with a list of 55 findings, as well as several major recommendations for law enforcement and legislation. Among these, 75% of motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, usually a car. In the MAIDS report, the figure is 60%.
Other notable findings in the Hurt report (quoted below) were:[9]
  • 75% of accidents were found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25% of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.
  • "In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering."
  • "Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement" and "injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size."
  • In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
  • The report's additional findings show that the wearing of appropriate gear, specifically, helmets and durable garment, mitigates crash injuries substantially.
  • "Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat" and "Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents."
  • "The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents... Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."
I completely agree that filtering at high speed is idiotic, and so is cornering with your bike leaned over and your head in the opposite lane.

The latter is just poor positioning - sadly, not a topic that the DSA covers properly in the UK motorcycle test, but it is something that advanced courses cover in detail. Regardless of actual speed, the proper road position is usually towards the outside of a bend, as this gives the best visibility both for the motorcyclist and also any oncoming traffic.
Old 11 September 2013, 10:32 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to own this one - no idea where it is now, but clearly still alive.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5067/5...b07822f7_z.jpg

When I had it, the exhaust was a bit bigger than that, it had no centre box on it - used to sound devine and was fond of spitting fire out on the overrun

It was, by far, one of the best cars I ever owned, only beaten in to 2nd place by the RS4.

Quick Reply: Just been on speed awareness course