Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

never mind.

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2013, 05:29 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default never mind.

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 09 September 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09 September 2013, 05:37 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** sake

Just a word of warning, but this will probably turn into a "why do you want a replica watch, get a real watch".

....and I have to agree, why do you want a replica though? Surely you're better off spending up to £200 on a nice decent proper Automatic watch which is exactly what I've done. No point pretending to have the real thing because if someone knows enough about watches to actually ask you if they can have a look, you'll end up looking like a right pleb.

I'm a big fan of divers watches and I'll admit that I can't afford to spend £2,500 on a new ceramic Omega which is what I really want, but I think that £150 for this Seiko is a great intermediate for me.

Last edited by LSherratt; 09 September 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09 September 2013, 06:03 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

It tells the time , and if I drop it I dont mind .Dont see why it needs big money for my purpose. TBH your one looks like £30 worth (in my opinion). I did look at genuine ones but want something a bit "bling" for what £200 will get me. Here is mine before I dropped it :-D
Old 09 September 2013, 06:06 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

are people that sell fake goods trustworthy???

jesus ...................................
Old 09 September 2013, 06:08 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

U know what , forget I asked.
Old 09 September 2013, 06:12 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
U know what , forget I asked.

Mate, you can't be surprised that many people find the whole fake watch thing a bit weird.
Old 09 September 2013, 06:13 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Someone's got a little touchy, maybe it's because you've asked and want a replica

If you just want something that just tells the time like you say, then spend £10 on a quartz casio Maybe it broke when you dropped it because that's all it is, a cheap replica

I can appreciate watches, and there's nothing better wearing a watch knowing that it has a great automatic movement relying on wrist movement to generate the power to charge a rotor which turns the cogs to make it work. Mine is just an example, but there's a whole variety of different decent watches for £100-£200.

Last edited by LSherratt; 09 September 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09 September 2013, 06:13 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It tells the time , and if I drop it I dont mind .Dont see why it needs big money for my purpose. TBH your one looks like £30 worth (in my opinion). I did look at genuine ones but want something a bit "bling" for what £200 will get me. Here is mine before I dropped it :-D
Do all the complications work on this fake watch ?
Old 09 September 2013, 06:32 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Do all the complications work on this fake watch ?

Yep , self winding. But then so would the real version that would cost 5k and wouldnt break if I dropped it.
Old 09 September 2013, 06:52 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I have seen some very convincing replica watches, some even with swiss movements. I have also seen some that are laughable. Buying a replica watch online without seeing it is very risky, especially if it claims to be high quality and costs several hundred pounds.
If you're buying it as a replica and all the complications work that's fine, but you need it in your hand to check first.
These are a rock solid watch at around the price you mentioned and just as blingy imho.
SEIKO 200M MEN FLIGHTMASTER PILOT CHRON SNA411P1 SNA411: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics SEIKO 200M MEN FLIGHTMASTER PILOT CHRON SNA411P1 SNA411: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Old 09 September 2013, 06:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Weedy, I appreciate your honesty for wearing a counterfeit watch. Don't worry, there're a lot of people that are wearing fakes; thinking that it's the real thing.

I'd look on Ebay for a genuine watch of your desired make. In reality, genuine means fake on Ebay, so job will be nicely done. I once bought a Subaru jacket there when I was going through that silly phase. You couldn't make out whether it was fake or not, but it was really fake. So, Ebay is your best bet imo- to answer your question from your opening post, which you have now removed.

Good luck.
Old 09 September 2013, 06:58 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

i already have a £170 watch i use everyday , just want a blingy replica for wearing out and weekends.
Old 09 September 2013, 07:02 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

this is similar to the one i got (£80 if i remember)

http://www.mywatchesonline.co.uk/bre...l10-bl10.shtml
Old 09 September 2013, 07:10 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

this is similar to the one i got (£80 if i remember)

http://www.mywatchesonline.co.uk/bre...l10-bl10.shtml
The "japanese Miyota" movement is Citizen iirc. A common movement used in mid range replica watches.
Old 09 September 2013, 07:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

i already have a £170 watch i use everyday , just want a blingy replica for wearing out and weekends.
Nothing wrong with that, man.

A mate dated a gent who wore a replica Kelvin Klein watch on a date with her. It looked bling, so she said- "Nice watch ". He told her- "It's ******* fake. I bought it for a tenner on a market stall to come out tonight". Oh, how she laughed, she says! They ended up spending rest of their lives together. He wasn't fake.
Old 09 September 2013, 07:22 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I don't mind fakes or people wearing them, just as long as they bought it as a fake and were not ripped off, Its only a bit of fun. I bought my son a fake Rolex and he loves it. I'm sure one day he will get his hands on my very real and genuine Zenith el primero chronomaster T moonphase. Not until i'm dead and gone though lol
Old 09 September 2013, 07:34 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Now this is a genuine question as I straddle the middle ground when it comes to expensive watches ie I don't get a hard on thinking about some complex movement but I don't belong to the £10 swatch watch brigade either.

I bought a Breitling about ten years ago and it cost about £1800 at the time. It was a lovely looking watch (not a blingy one) but it was infuriating because it never kept accurate time. It would gain about 5 minutes within a few weeks of me setting it.

If I took it off for a couple of days it would stop and then I'd have to reset it again.

It's no big deal as such as I'm not an Astronaut or Navy Seal but I do quite like to know the accurate time.

Anyway, it stopped working and would have cost about £500 to repair (I never had it serviced )

Instead I spent £200 on a G Shock and it's been a revelation. 100% accurate time and whenever I'm abroad I can use the world time function. It's solar powered and I can take it off for days and it will still be 100% accurate. I love it.

The only time I slightly miss a 'flash' watch is when I sometimes meet new people and I see them looking at my watch and wondering whether I just can't afford something better

Just my tuppence
Old 09 September 2013, 07:44 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Now this is a genuine question as I straddle the middle ground when it comes to expensive watches ie I don't get a hard on thinking about some complex movement but I don't belong to the £10 swatch watch brigade either.

I bought a Breitling about ten years ago and it cost about £1800 at the time. It was a lovely looking watch (not a blingy one) but it was infuriating because it never kept accurate time. It would gain about 5 minutes within a few weeks of me setting it.

If I took it off for a couple of days it would stop and then I'd have to reset it again.

It's no big deal as such as I'm not an Astronaut or Navy Seal but I do quite like to know the accurate time.

Anyway, it stopped working and would have cost about £500 to repair (I never had it serviced )

Instead I spent £200 on a G Shock and it's been a revelation. 100% accurate time and whenever I'm abroad I can use the world time function. It's solar powered and I can take it off for days and it will still be 100% accurate. I love it.

The only time I slightly miss a 'flash' watch is when I sometimes meet new people and I see them looking at my watch and wondering whether I just can't afford something better

Just my tuppence
A lot of top high end watches don't keep fantastic time, Rolex being one of the worse except the daytona. Its knowing the VBH will quite often determine the quality and accuracy. A lot are only 18000 vbh (5 ticks per second) The daytona is 28800 vbh. My Zenith is 36000 vbh and keeps fantastic time.
Old 09 September 2013, 07:47 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

seems that link isnt very trustworthy , Googled it and in the end i discovered this

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=60
Old 09 September 2013, 08:30 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL at people criticising others for having a replica watch and yet are quite happy to drive around in a rally replica car adorned with all the stickers, decals or accessories.
Old 09 September 2013, 08:31 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

A lot of top high end watches don't keep fantastic time, Rolex being one of the worse except the daytona. Its knowing the VBH will quite often determine the quality and accuracy. A lot are only 18000 vbh (5 ticks per second) The daytona is 28800 vbh. My Zenith is 36000 vbh and keeps fantastic time.

So this is where I have a problem with high end watches and people who ********** over movements. A watch must surely in the first instance be judged by its ability to do its primary function ie tell the time. So what is the point of a high end watch with a complex movement that keeps worse time than £200 casio?

It's like designing a car with a complex engine that is actually less powerful and reliable than one that costs a tenth of the price
Old 09 September 2013, 08:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have quite an expensive Tag, but at the moment i am wearing quite the most revolting, and crap fake Rolex

my 12 year old son bought it for me in when he was on holiday with friends in Turkey, at a "genuine fake" watch shop

It is an Oyster Perpetual (the rare quartz version)

So far it has been v reliable and tells great time
Old 09 September 2013, 08:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I bought a Breitling about ten years ago and it cost about £1800 at the time..............
.................................................. .................................................. ................

Instead I spent £200 on a G Shock and it's been a revelation. 100% accurate time ..............................I love it.

Just my tuppence
Cool. That's what I mean. One doesn't have to have a flash and even a genuine watch to impress self and/or other people. Sod the ones who blind others with their terribly expensive watches and you know- things. Who cares! It means nothing if they're not so blindingly bright, beautiful inside n' out and genuine. I mean someone with a tenner worth of watch could be a better person than the one with a two grand worth of time piece.
Old 09 September 2013, 08:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine who got a rolly on his 21st birthday (a good 20 years ago) said that he was amazed to read in all the warranty blurb something along the lines of "please do not rely on this as an accurate timepiece"

My brother in laws Seamaster loses so much time it is virtually a bracelet
Old 09 September 2013, 08:40 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

So this is where I have a problem with high end watches and people who ********** over movements. A watch must surely in the first instance be judged by its ability to do its primary function ie tell the time. So what is the point of a high end watch with a complex movement that keeps worse time than £200 casio?

It's like designing a car with a complex engine that is actually less powerful and reliable than one that costs a tenth of the price
There are several answers to your question depending on who is answering them.
whats the point in a 300 bhp impreza that drinks fuel and has high running costs. A little town car will achieve the national speed limit and cost less ?

The casio will keep great time until the battery runs out. High end mechanical watches have soul. Listen to the hi-beat zenith centre column movement, then listen to the tick tock of a quartz movement. Then you will understand. Electric car or turbo charged flat 4 ??
Old 09 September 2013, 08:55 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
A friend of mine who got a rolly on his 21st birthday (a good 20 years ago) said that he was amazed to read in all the warranty blurb something along the lines of "please do not rely on this as an accurate timepiece"

My brother in laws Seamaster loses so much time it is virtually a bracelet
I'm not a fan of Rolex unless its the Daytona with the Zenith movement. Rolex are very over priced for what is a very old fashioned basic movement. People will pay money for the name. As for Omega, they are good watches but now owned the the swatch group, who also own ETA. Most Omegas will have a generic movement like the eta G10 which can be found in most swatch group watches,cheap and expensive. It maybe a "swiss" movement but its quite inexpensive. A mechanical watch is never going to hold time as well as a quartz watch. what more important to you, function or beauty. I dont think a few mins a week is a problem.
Old 09 September 2013, 09:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Tbh honest these watch threads were a bit of a revelation (and learning experience) for me when i joined this forum a few years ago

Up until then I had laboured it under the impression that there was something "special" about my Tag, a bit unique, bespoke even, oh how naive I was (I still love it btw and it looks great)

I have since learn't the sad truth, that apart from a few high end manufactures, they are essentially 50% badge engineering (with simple vanilla movements) and 50% marketing

I wear my fake rolex with pride, and with a genuine Chinese quartz movement it tells great time

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 09 September 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09 September 2013, 09:46 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Tbh honest these watch threads were a bit of a revelation (and learning experience) for me when i joined this forum a few years ago

Up until then I had laboured it under the impression that there was something "special" about my Tag, a bit unique, bespoke even, oh how naive I was (I still love it btw and it looks great)

I have since learn't the sad truth, that apart from a few high end manufactures, they are essentially 50% badge engineering (with simple vanilla movements) and 50% marketing

I wear my fake rolex with pride, and with a genuine Chinese quartz movement it tells great time
Funny thing with fake Rolex and people who in their naivety think they can spot one. My fav is "Rolex have sweep second hand and dont tick tock". It's actually a load of bollocks. All mechanical watches have a sweep second hand. The smoother the sweep the higher the beat. Funny thing is most Rolex movement are not a very high beat. The other thing is, Rolex have made several quartz watches which like all quarts movements will tick tock. I wonder how many of these very collectable quartz Rolex's are dis-guarded in a draw somewhere in the belief their fake.
A few easy spots to spot a bollex.
A glass back. Rolex did make a couple of glass back watches in the 70's but they never went into production. The glass backed watches they did make are in a museum.
Engraving on the back. Rolex do not engrave the backs of their watches. The only exception is the sea dweller now known as the deep sea.
Second hand. Should reach to the very end of the second baton markers
Date cyclops. Should be X 2.5 magnification. Most japanese movement replicas are X 1.75.
There are many more ways and just because the above is correct does not mean it's genuine. The other thing to watch out for is a genuine watch but fitted with fake parts. This seems to be common with fakes bought in New York.
Old 09 September 2013, 09:51 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Well there you go, you learn something every day

I hoestly did not know Rolex made quartz watches,

mmm maybe mine is real after all
Old 09 September 2013, 09:57 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

There are several answers to your question depending on who is answering them.
whats the point in a 300 bhp impreza that drinks fuel and has high running costs. A little town car will achieve the national speed limit and cost less ?

The casio will keep great time until the battery runs out. High end mechanical watches have soul. Listen to the hi-beat zenith centre column movement, then listen to the tick tock of a quartz movement. Then you will understand. Electric car or turbo charged flat 4 ??

I'm sorry Chopperman but your analogy doesn't work.

The 300 BHP Impreza does something that can be measured as being better than the little town car ie it accelerates and handles better. So yes it might cost more and drink more fuel but it performs objectively better in the most important way that we benchmark performance cars ie it goes faster.

The fact that the Impreza also does subjective things better ie has soul, makes a better noise, has heritage is a different matter.

But the high end watch can't even do it's most basic function as well as a Casio ie tell the time.

The complexity of it's movement is a nonsense if the end result is a failure to perform it's actual function which is to tell the time accurately.

It's a bit like me designing an engine that costs £100,000 and is immensely complex, hand built by blind Chinese virgins but puts out 50 BHP and returns 5mpg of aviation fuel. What is the point?

Quick Reply: never mind.