Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone have a switch controlled by wifi ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2013, 09:42 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a switch controlled by wifi ?

I'm looking at getting a adapter plug that I will be able to turn on over my wifi.

I've looked around and come up with one called the Belkin WeMo switch. Does anyone have one ? Are they any good ?
Old 23 August 2013, 09:51 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

More of a complete home automation system than just a standalone switch but they have a Wi-Fi adapter and remote controlled sockets, plug in modules etc.

http://www.lightwaverf.co.uk/
Old 23 August 2013, 11:30 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any WiFi switches that don't use a proprietary API? If I was setting up automation which I am interested in doing I would not want something where you are beholden to one company for expensive proprietary solutions that are vulnerable to obsolescence and have expensive extras just to connect then to your network at one central point. The need for WiFi is that other frequencies don't go through all the stone walls so would need repeaters, whereas I already have a fast and reliable WiFi setup with five access points wired together, each about 15-20m apart.
Old 23 August 2013, 12:00 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Would be good wouldn't it

I guess the problem is that putting a full Ethernet stack into a light switch is going to be fairly costly compared to simple radio that just receives codes like "Dim up", "Dim down", "On", "Off" etc. On that basis the obvious choice for low cost is to stick to simple radio in the devices themselves and have a centralised control point that can send those codes to the relevant devices when commanded via Ethernet.

Downside as you point out is range, especially if you're in a challenging environment for low power radio, and the cheap solutions (such as that I linked) don't have any feed back path so although you send the on command to the light switch you never get any actual confirmation that it really is on. Not necessarily an issue if you just want it for armchair control but if you want to be turning you lights on and off from Australia then you probably want to know that it really did happen

Having said all that I've seen Wi-Fi light bulbs so the fully Wi-Fi'd home could be on the horizon.
Old 23 August 2013, 01:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Are there any WiFi switches that don't use a proprietary API? If I was setting up automation which I am interested in doing I would not want something where you are beholden to one company for expensive proprietary solutions that are vulnerable to obsolescence and have expensive extras just to connect then to your network at one central point. The need for WiFi is that other frequencies don't go through all the stone walls so would need repeaters, whereas I already have a fast and reliable WiFi setup with five access points wired together, each about 15-20m apart.
John, I have my automation via a GSM dialler and control it from my phone. It is hard-wired and incorporates CCTV, alarm, passive override on security lights, gates, necessary lights, heating etc.

A GSM signal is required, granted, but it isn't subject to wireless inconsistencies and being beholden to any one company for all the functions to operate.

It also needs more planning than plug and play but done right hard wired is always going to win.
Old 24 August 2013, 03:04 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

I've got a wireless controlled air conditioning system for my villa in Florida. Has saved me thousands. Turns out that the cleaners turn it down to 68/70F thinking it will get cooler quicker!!! For years I have paid out for a super chilly villa for weeks at a time when there were no people in it. :-(. The cost of a/c in August before getting Internet control was $600. With Internet control that dropped to $ 150. No brainer.
Old 24 August 2013, 03:07 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Oh. I did buy a new A/C system as well. The wireless controller was $99. The new A/C System was $4000 but they have paid back in reduced bills in under 3 years