Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Took my youngest clay pigeon shooting today!

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2013, 08:30 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my youngest clay pigeon shooting today!

Thought i'd take the youngest (10 yrs old) when i went for a lesson today ...

Duly kitted out wth an instructor, a 12G & 410, off we went

The instructor was was surprised at how well he did with the 410

he came away with 19 out of 30

Mangaged to get this shot, which was pretty unusual

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 06 July 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06 July 2013, 08:47 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

Very unusual to see the pellets on their way to the target like that.
Old 06 July 2013, 09:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So what do you want him to shoot when he grows up?

dl
Old 06 July 2013, 09:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I bet he loved it? brownie points all round
Old 06 July 2013, 10:30 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
So what do you want him to shoot when he grows up?

dl
I think that's a daft comment really. Just because the OP took his young boy shooting doesn't mean that he's going to grow up into some thug, which to me seems what you could be suggesting? Unless you meant it in a very tongue in cheek way? I think clay shooting and gun safety would be a great way of Father and son bonding.
Old 06 July 2013, 10:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I was actually quite surprised, both at the picture (never seen that before), and with my youngest, I honestly expected him to miss most of what was thrown up, The only things that he struggled with were the skeet traps we tried at the end.

Mind you I missed everything skeet wise lol ...

My friend who went with us, seems to have a talent for skeet, and was hitting stuff i couldnt get near to, (good excuse to go again for some practice )

My youngest was just as surprised at how well he did too, given it was his first time with a shotgun.

So potentially its the eldest, youngest and I all being competitive

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 06 July 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07 July 2013, 07:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like you need more tuition

Your lads doing really well getting 19/30 with a 4.10 sounds like he has a good eye, the smaller bore's do tend to shoot where you point them, if the gun fits well and has the correct cast.

We did a test on quite a few 12 gauge cartridges at my local shoot and some of the gaps in the patterns were woeful, you could be spot on and have the clay fly straight through.

Which is one of the reasons I use a 20 gauge, as well as the weight, 12 gauge is over rated only time I use one is for wild fowl on the wash and I haven't done that for years, humping one around for a few hours in the field is no fun either, there's nowt like p!ssing everyone off by turning the clays to dust with a "girls gun" either.

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2013, 09:36 AM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I think that's a daft comment really. Just because the OP took his young boy shooting doesn't mean that he's going to grow up into some thug, which to me seems what you could be suggesting? Unless you meant it in a very tongue in cheek way? I think clay shooting and gun safety would be a great way of Father and son bonding.
+1

Having done .22, 5.56mm and 7.62mm target rifle internationally from 12 years old I can't agree more!

Tim.
Old 07 July 2013, 10:09 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Sounds to me like you need more tuition

my plan exactly

Mart
Old 07 July 2013, 12:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt

Did I even hint that Mart junior would grow up to be a thug? Of course not.

I happen not to like killing things whether human or animals. Guns were designed for killing so I don't like them, OK?

Next step up from Clay could be pheasant shoots and I think they are cruel and disgusting.

I thoroughly approve of a father sharing activities with his young son and it's up to the OP to plan what they do together. So why is it daft to put my view/question forward?

dl
Old 07 July 2013, 12:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I happen not to like killing things whether human or animals. Guns were designed for killing so I don't like them, OK?

Next step up from Clay could be pheasant shoots and I think they are cruel and disgusting.

I thoroughly approve of a father sharing activities with his young son and it's up to the OP to plan what they do together. So why is it daft to put my view/question forward?

dl
Its Ok David,

As you prolly guessed, i knew what you were saying , hence i didnt come back with any comment. ... weve known each other long enough lol

Id like him to shoot 12G, but if he wants to use 20G or 410 thats fine.
That said, next week he,ll probably want to do hovercraft racing or somthing else lol

Not to sure about game shoots, im open minded, i can see the appeal of a brace of birds for your own consumption, but as you say its an individual thing.

Mart
Old 07 July 2013, 04:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dl
Although i'm not a fan of pheasant shoot's, I am a fan of hunting for the pot, I think it's good for a person to know how to hunt and prepare food for eating, it teaches one so much more than how to kill, in fact it teaches you about life, respect, nature, builds character and gives you a much greater perception of how this world we live in works, where food comes from and how to go about getting your own, things that I believe are sadly lacking in todays society.

I'm in no way saying this is what you do, but people who go to the super market and buy chicken and other meat products that have been raised in a barbaric manner in some far off land, and have no idea or chose not to know where these products come from and how they are treated, wear leather shoes, carry leather and other animal hide hand bags, as well as smear endless animal by product cosmetics all over their bodies, and let's not even go into the testing of said products, then spout on about the cruelty of hunting, exhibit crass hypocrisy and a complete lack of understanding of nature and the countryside.

But hey opinions are like **** holes, the world is full of them.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 07 July 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 02:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He did well,its a good bit more difficult than you might think!

Les
Old 08 July 2013, 05:01 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

It is great fun I used to love going with my Dad.... and ive not killed anything