Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gas Meter Exchange.

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2013, 01:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Meter Exchange.

Call me cynical but they can f!ck right off as I won't allow anyone in my property to change my meter which was changed less than ten years ago. The only reason I can see for change so they can screw more money out of me. I definitely can't see it being in my interests. A quick look on the net confirms I am not alone in my suspicions.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ange_programme
Old 22 June 2013, 03:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They changed mine.

Then they had to come in and check the boiler had re-lit...fair enough.
THEN they wanted to look at the gas-fire....and told me I was "lucky". Apparently if it had been any more powerful, they would have "had to isolate it" until I had a vent fitted in the front room

THEN they looked at the balanced flue. They gave me 14 days to fit a cage round it, or again, my gas would be cut off.

I asked why, I was told it was to protect kids.

I pointed out that a) my kids were fully grown, and b) the flue was in the back garden, hidden from sight and not easily accessible.

Cut no ice: fit a guard or get cut off.

These fekkers have too much power and the UK is a fekkin nanny state...cheers Bliar and Lying labour you *****!

PS: SOMEONE changed my leccy meter too, WITHOUT my permission and WITHOUT telling me.......

They had NO idea what was connected inside and might have reacted badly to being off. But they did it anyway.

When I rang and complained, they had no record of who had done it........
Old 22 June 2013, 03:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Incidentally: in France there is a rolling programme of changing older meters for those that can be read from OUTSIDE the property, although the meter stays INSIDE.

Have a guess who has to pay? save them time and money and WE pay.....
Old 22 June 2013, 04:05 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
They changed mine.

THEN they wanted to look at the gas-fire....and told me I was "lucky". Apparently if it had been any more powerful, they would have "had to isolate it" until I had a vent fitted in the front room

THEN they looked at the balanced flue. They gave me 14 days to fit a cage round it, or again, my gas would be cut off.

I pointed out that a) my kids were fully grown, and b) the flue was in the back garden, hidden from sight and not easily accessible.

These fekkers have too much power and the UK is a fekkin nanny state...cheers Bliar and Lying labour you *****!

PS: SOMEONE changed my leccy meter too, WITHOUT my permission and WITHOUT telling me.......

They had NO idea what was connected inside and might have reacted badly to being off. But they did it anyway.

When I rang and complained, they had no record of who had done it........
What annoys me Geoff is the pretext under which they present themselves. They make out they are a public authority operating for our benefit when in fact they are privately owned enterprises working on a profit basis. I have had my gas supply, pipes, appliances and meter checked and guess what? They are all fine! However according to National Grid my meter is outdated, obsolete and danger to anyone within 500 yards! They have no legal mandate to change the meters from my research and I daresay it's another rip off the consumer tactic. There's no way they're coming in to my property to change any meter.
Old 22 June 2013, 04:45 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

The National Grid have nothing to do with Gas Meters, at most they're the ones digging the street replacing the gas supply pipes.

If anything the company responsible for Gas Meters to be changed is Transco, BG or N-Power as they are the only companies allowed to change them. If they have requested to change your Gas Meter so early it will more than likely be for a Smart Meter which are a benefit as YOU are able to monitor your gas usage without having to do your own calculations. The fact is whether you think it's for your benefit or not, by law ALL Gas Meters have to be Smart Meters by 2016. One thing that absolutely does NOT change is your energy supplier, regardless of who fits the meter.

Oh and just so you know, it may be your house but if you look at the Gas Meter it clearly states that the meter is the property of Transco and under the law they do have a legal right to make changes to or replace it as they see fit. If you don't let them in to change it, simple, they cut you off in the street until you let them in. They can and do do this, mainly in the situation of gas leaks in the property.

As far as their manner of speaking to you, it's been a subject of argument between us (Gas Engineers) and Transco (Nicknamed T.O.F.O.) for many years, I've had a few very heated arguments about how they conduct themselves in peoples houses. They do have a tendency to try and put the frighteners up customers and we're left to calm things down again, basically my advice with them is - They have NO idea about the rules/regulations etc regarding appliances, they deal with gas supply upto your gas meter but they do have to purge your gas system (relight appliance to make sure they work) and at most they call a BG engineer out to inspect the supposed problem.

Just to respond to Geoff's post; they cannot cut you off because your flue has no guard on - That's either your misunderstanding or they were talking boll0cks!

Same goes for your fire. Think about it, if your has been installed for X years and no one has died from CO poisoning, is it really going to make a difference on how it works/burns gas now that they've changed the gas meter?! Absolutely not. Simple. End of.

At the VERY most, they arrange a follow up visit for one of our BG Engineers to attend to inspect it who will basically classify it as per the Gas Regulations. I can tell you now 100% that if those are the only things he mentioned, a British Gas Engineer will classify them as the following;

Boiler Flue has no Terminal Guard - Not to the Current Standards (lowest advisory notice) Basically a written notice, acknowledgement only, non or little action required.

Fire requires permanent air vent* - Appliance turned off the same as you'd turn it off (not disconnected or cut off!) an At Risk Notice + Yellow hanging label to go on the fire. Same again a written notice, acknowledgement but advised that it is in the interest of safety that remedial work should be carried out (this is still optional and not a legal requirement)

*Only fires of 7kw Net require a permanent air vent

In either case it would be a letter which they ask you to sign to acknowledge they've told you about it and possibly (I would ask) ask you if you'd like a quote for the remedial work done - simple yes or no answer.
Old 22 June 2013, 05:35 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I requested smart meters and initially loved them, worked very well. Now I'm suspicious, I was away for two months straight, a little electricity could have been used as my cleaner will have needed to see where she was mopping, but no gas was used. However, the smart meters showed hardly any drop in consumption at all, this was March/April. I called and was pretty much fobbed off with some blarney about taking a year to be accurate. Still not happy about it all.
Old 22 June 2013, 05:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Call me cynical but they can f!ck right off as I won't allow anyone in my property to change my meter which was changed less than ten years ago. The only reason I can see for change so they can screw more money out of me. I definitely can't see it being in my interests. A quick look on the net confirms I am not alone in my suspicions.
Why would you not want an updated more accurate meter fitted? Something to hide maybe?

I am currently involved in the main replacement programme in Wales and the South West and the fact is that under the rights of entry act we can enter any property to inspect, replace, or remove any meter or isolate the supply. If you do refuse entry you will either be a) cut off outside your house or b) told of an enforced entry if there is reason to believe this is necessary.

When I was on call covering the distribution system we used the R of E act on quite a few occasions especially when picking up gas readings inside properties.

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2013, 05:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
They changed mine.

And quite rightly too.

I was called some years ago to a house that had reported a smell of gas. No leak was detected but the house owner had put a rag on top of the flue whilst washing his car a few days before. This had then been covered in snow and partially blocked the flue causing fumes ie carbon monoxide to flow back into the house. If this had not been noticed who knows what could have happened to the parents and 2 kids in the house. Having seen 2 OAPs who died from CO poisoning I can assure you that checks like this are worthwhile.
Old 22 June 2013, 05:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

What annoys me Geoff is the pretext under which they present themselves. They make out they are a public authority operating for our benefit when in fact they are privately owned enterprises working on a profit basis. I have had my gas supply, pipes, appliances and meter checked and guess what? They are all fine! However according to National Grid my meter is outdated, obsolete and danger to anyone within 500 yards! They have no legal mandate to change the meters from my research and I daresay it's another rip off the consumer tactic. There's no way they're coming in to my property to change any meter.
How is it ripping you off? There is no charge. And as I said previously if they need to change your meter as part of the meter replacement programme they will, or cut you off, your choice.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BULLITT
The National Grid have nothing to do with Gas Meters, at most they're the ones digging the street replacing the gas supply pipes.
Yes they do, they own and operate the gas distribution system for nearly all of central UK.

If anything the company responsible for Gas Meters to be changed is Transco, BG or N-Power as they are the only companies allowed to change them.
Wrong again. Transco does not exist and has not for 8 years as they were taken over by Nat Grid. I know I used to work there. BG do not do much here in the UK pipe wise as it is an exploration, storage and production company. Npower sell gas and elctricity, they do not have any remit on pipes or meters at all.

by law ALL Gas Meters have to be Smart Meters by 2016.
Wrong again, it's 2020.

Oh and just so you know, it may be your house but if you look at the Gas Meter it clearly states that the meter is the property of ***** and under the law they do have a legal right to make changes to or replace it as they see fit. If you don't let them in to change it, simple, they cut you off in the street until you let them in. They can and do do this, mainly in the situation of gas leaks in the property.
You got one right at last, have a point.

As far as their manner of speaking to you, it's been a subject of argument between us (Gas Engineers)
Gas Engineers????

and Transco (Nicknamed T.O.F.O.) for many years,
Yep, Turn Off **** OFF

I've had a few very heated arguments about how they conduct themselves in peoples houses. They do have a tendency to try and put the frighteners up customers and we're left to calm things down again, basically my advice with them is - They have NO idea about the rules/regulations etc regarding appliances, they deal with gas supply upto your gas meter but they do have to purge your gas system (relight appliance to make sure they work) and at most they call a BG engineer out to inspect the supposed problem.
Correct again, though you must mean British Gas rather then BG, two totally different companies.

Same goes for your fire. Think about it, if your has been installed for X years and no one has died from CO poisoning, is it really going to make a difference on how it works/burns gas now that they've changed the gas meter?! Absolutely not. Simple. End of.
No but a simple smoke test could pick up a problem with say a blocked chimney which the consumer may not have known about.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chip
Why would you not want an updated more accurate meter fitted? Something to hide maybe?
I'll be the judge of whether they're updated and accurate (especially considering when some of the meters are refurbished units). Something to hide? Yes my collection of w@nk mags piled in the cellar.

I am currently involved in the main replacement programme in Wales and the South West and the fact is that under the rights of entry act we can enter any property to inspect, replace, or remove any meter or isolate the supply. If you do refuse entry you will either be a) cut off outside your house or b) told of an enforced entry if there is reason to believe this is necessary.

When I was on call covering the distribution system we used the R of E act on quite a few occasions especially when picking up gas readings inside properties.

Okay so it seems I may have no choice but to allow this exchange to take place. However given what Jack Clark has said my suspicions for the change have not abated. Furthermore how can a meter that is approximately six or seven years old be outdated? Especially considering my last meter was in the property for over twenty two years.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:41 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Wrong again. Transco does not exist and has not for 8 years as they were taken over by Nat Grid. I know I used to work there. BG do not do much here in the UK pipe wise as it is an exploration, storage and production company. Npower sell gas and elctricity, they do not have any remit on pipes or meters at all.
Erm, yes they do, TRANSCO is part of British Gas. As it clearly states on all of their vans. There were digging up my parents garden when replacing replacing the gas pipe in the garden. All the vans were sign written TRANSCO, all of the equipment had TRANSCO on and so did the paperwork. I also only called them a few weeks back to sort an issue out with a faulty meter regulator!

Wrong again, it's 2020.
That's the third time it's been push back. It was 2014 at the launch then 2016 now 2020...

Gas Engineers????
Yes British Gas Service and Repair Engineers as in my job title.

Correct again, though you must mean British Gas rather then BG, two totally different companies.
Who else would I be referring to when talking about Gas Suppliers?? I think it's pretty common knowledge that the BG abbreviation in this topic relates to British Gas

No but a simple smoke test could pick up a problem with say a blocked chimney which the consumer may not have known about.
But that's not what Geoff was talking about. He said that he was told that IF the fire was any larger he would have to cut it off as it had no permanent ventilation. This is utter boll0cks. A fire can still pass a smoke test, which presume you mean a Spillage Test since there is two smoke tests (see, I can be condescending too ) even without a permanent air vent.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:43 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

If anything the company responsible for Gas Meters to be changed is Transco, BG or N-Power as they are the only companies allowed to change them. If they have requested to change your Gas Meter so early it will more than likely be for a Smart Meter which are a benefit as YOU are able to monitor your gas usage without having to do your own calculations. The fact is whether you think it's for your benefit or not, by law ALL Gas Meters have to be Smart Meters by 2016. One thing that absolutely does NOT change is your energy supplier, regardless of who fits the meter.

Oh and just so you know, it may be your house but if you look at the Gas Meter it clearly states that the meter is the property of Transco and under the law they do have a legal right to make changes to or replace it as they see fit. If you don't let them in to change it, simple, they cut you off in the street until you let them in. They can and do do this, mainly in the situation of gas leaks in the property.

As far as their manner of speaking to you, it's been a subject of argument between us (Gas Engineers) and Transco (Nicknamed T.O.F.O.) for many years, I've had a few very heated arguments about how they conduct themselves in peoples houses. They do have a tendency to try and put the frighteners up customers and we're left to calm things down again, basically my advice with them is - They have NO idea about the rules/regulations etc regarding appliances, they deal with gas supply upto your gas meter but they do have to purge your gas system (relight appliance to make sure they work) and at most they call a BG engineer out to inspect the supposed problem.

Just to respond to Geoff's post; they cannot cut you off because your flue has no guard on - That's either your misunderstanding or they were talking boll0cks!

At the VERY most, they arrange a follow up visit for one of our BG Engineers to attend to inspect it who will basically classify it as per the Gas Regulations. I can tell you now 100% that if those are the only things he mentioned, a British Gas Engineer will classify them as the following;

Boiler Flue has no Terminal Guard - Not to the Current Standards (lowest advisory notice) Basically a written notice, acknowledgement only, non or little action required.

Fire requires permanent air vent* - Appliance turned off the same as you'd turn it off (not disconnected or cut off!) an At Risk Notice + Yellow hanging label to go on the fire. Same again a written notice, acknowledgement but advised that it is in the interest of safety that remedial work should be carried out (this is still optional and not a legal requirement)

*Only fires of 7kw Net require a permanent air vent

In either case it would be a letter which they ask you to sign to acknowledge they've told you about it and possibly (I would ask) ask you if you'd like a quote for the remedial work done - simple yes or no answer.
Bearing in mind that you've given me good advice before regarding Ashbourne Services I'm interested in your opinion on the veracity of swapping meters. As you're in the industry and therefore better placed than most to comment would you say a change of meter won't affect my bills? I will happily swap to a new meter but deep down my mistrust of utility companies is telling me that it'll end up me paying higher bills!
Old 22 June 2013, 06:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I'll be the judge of whether they're updated and accurate (especially considering when some of the meters are refurbished units). Something to hide? Yes my collection of w@nk mags piled in the cellar.

Okay so it seems I may have no choice but to allow this exchange to take place. However given what Jack Clark has said my suspicions for the change have not abated. Furthermore how can a meter that is approximately six or seven years old be outdated? Especially considering my last meter was in the property for over twenty two years.
I agree that there is most probably nothing wrong with your existing meter but a new one will be more accurate as there was a problem with the diaphragm in older meters. if your old one was inaccurate the new one will almost certainly benefit you rather than your supplier.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:50 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Also for the record I had some correspondence from G4S (Group 4 Security if I'm not mistaken) about a year ago. This was when I was with Scottish Power (I am now with Spark Energy) and I had three letters from G4S asking to come and change my meter. When I changed supplier the letters also stopped. Does this mean different suppliers use different companies to change meters? If so then who has ownership of meters?! This is also another reason why I'm deeply dubious and is something I should have mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Maz; 22 June 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:52 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Bearing in mind that you've given me good advice before regarding Ashbourne Services I'm interested in your opinion on the veracity of swapping meters. As you're in the industry and therefore better placed than most to comment would you say a change of meter won't affect my bills? I will happily swap to a new meter but deep down my mistrust of utility companies is telling me that it'll end up me paying higher bills!
Personally I think Chip is even better placed to talk about gas meters than I am as legally I cannot work on them, replace them etc, I work on the everything from the Outlet pipe of the meter into your home.

From my experience with my customers though, the only ones that have had a problem are when there has been a delay in updating the records of the new meter installation and the readings given when they are read are way off. That's a computer system for you but usually a phone will sort it. I would say to get a meter reading of the old meter just before it is taken out. That way IF you do have a problem and need to call your supplier, you can help them calculate a more accurate figure and reset their system and your account.

As far as changing it so soon after the last change, my only guess would be either upgrading to a Smart Meter which can be done at any time really regardless of the current meters age.

Last edited by BULLITT; 22 June 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 22 June 2013, 06:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Erm, yes they do, TRANSCO is part of British Gas. As it clearly states on all of their vans. There were digging up my parents garden when replacing replacing the gas pipe in the garden. All the vans were sign written TRANSCO, all of the equipment had TRANSCO on and so did the paperwork. I also only called them a few weeks back to sort an issue out with a faulty meter regulator!
I told you Transco was taken over by Nat Grid years ago. IT IS not part of British Gas, never has been.

http://www.transco.co.uk/

And British Gas DO NOT do ANY work on distribution or transmission pipelines in the UK. They merely service and maintain on boilers, fires,CH etc.

That's the third time it's been push back. It was 2014 at the launch then 2016 now 2020...
So as I said then , it's 2020.

Yes British Gas Service and Repair Engineers as in my job title.
Fair enough, though engineers you are not, in my opinion anyway.

Who else would I be referring to when talking about Gas Suppliers?? I think it's pretty common knowledge that the BG abbreviation in this topic relates to British Gas
Having worked for British Gas, Centrica, Transco, Nat Grid and BG I know the difference.

But that's not what Geoff was talking about. He said that he was told that IF the fire was any larger he would have to cut it off as it had no permanent ventilation. This is utter boll0cks. A fire can still pass a smoke test, which presume you mean a Spillage Test since there is two smoke tests (see, I can be condescending too ) even without a permanent air vent.
Fair point as I know nothing about domestic stuff anyway. I did however call it a smoke test to keep it simple so you would understand.

Last edited by Chip; 22 June 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 22 June 2013, 07:03 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I agree that there is most probably nothing wrong with your existing meter but a new one will be more accurate as there was a problem with the diaphragm in older meters. if your old one was inaccurate the new one will almost certainly benefit you rather than your supplier.
Hmmm I can feel my resolve softening
Perhaps it is something I should consider. It'd be interesting to hear from people who have had their meters exchanged and are able to give a before and after comparison on energy bills. Also what is your unbiased opinion on the points raised on this page below.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ange_programme
Old 22 June 2013, 07:29 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

So as I said then , it's 2020.
My point is still valid that they do have to be changed by law, the fact that your guys have had to put the date back 3 times speak more about NatGrid work than my knowledge of when it should be completed.

Fair enough, though engineers you are not, in my opinion anyway.
So somebody that REPAIRS and maintains a mechanical device/applaince etc something is not an engineer? Since it is my Job Title. What else would we be called.

Having worked for British Gas, Centrica, Transco, Nat Grid and BG I know the difference.
That's not what I said, not even close! You said that there was a difference between BG and British Gas. What is that difference?? I said that it's pretty common knowledge that the BG abbreviation in this topic relates to British Gas at no point has BG ever meant Centrica, Transco or NatGrid So what else would BG refer to?

Fair point as I know nothing about domestic stuff anyway. I did however call it a smoke test to keep it simple so you would understand.
Exactly, YOU know nothing about domestic stuff, same as the rest of the "Gas Emergency Service" yet you (generally) continue to scare people into thinking things are very dangerous when they are clearly not. Which was my initial point in the first place. If you're going to try to be patronizing at least make sure you know what you're talking about. Glass houses and stones etc

Last edited by BULLITT; 22 June 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 22 June 2013, 08:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

My point is still valid that they do have to be changed by law, the fact that your guys have had to put the date back 3 times speak more about NatGrid work than my knowledge of when it should be completed.
My guys?? Who do you think I work for??

And Nat Grid work on behalf of the energy suppliers when it comes to changing meters.And Oh yes, British Gas is one of them.

So somebody that REPAIRS and maintains a mechanical device/applaince etc something is not an engineer? Since it is my Job Title. What else would we be called.
Service technician, plumber or gas fitter maybe. Engineer , no.

That's not what I said, not even close! You said that there was a difference between BG and British Gas. What is that difference?? I said that it's pretty common knowledge that the BG abbreviation in this topic relates to British Gas at no point has BG ever meant Centrica, Transco or NatGrid So what else would BG refer to?
The differencs between BG and British Gas is that they are two totally different companies that do different things. Don't you know anything about who you work for. Things have certainly gone downhill since I left. Here, educate yourself.

http://www.bg-group.com/AboutBG/Pages/AboutBG.aspx

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/

Exactly, YOU know nothing about domestic stuff, same as the rest of the "Gas Emergency Service" yet you (generally) continue to scare people into thinking things are very dangerous when they are clearly not. Which was my initial point in the first place. If you're going to try to be patronizing at least make sure you know what you're talking about. Glass houses and stones etc
What's to know about domestic stuff that's so difficult anyway. Plumbers are two a penny.

Do you mean the same "gas emergency service thats gets called out to any gas incident in the UK. Do you do that ? No. You just fix bits of 15mm copper etc. Who's scaring people into thinking things are dangerous, I'm certainly not. I have just stated facts.

And as for knowing what I am talking about I am actually one of the few that can work on any pipe at any pressure from the rigs to the meter. Compressor stations, PRS, LNG, down to IP, MP and local Distribution systems. Also got all SCO docs. Yourself?? Oh yeah your a plumber

Last edited by Chip; 22 June 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:08 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to me BG = British Gas

i moved house 9 years ago, for the first 2 years the gas bills were ok, then they said 'we need to change your meter', i said 'why?', reply 'we don't think it's reading accurately, we think your meter could be reading more than you are using'. i thought ok and they changed it. what a mistake our bills went up straight away, nearly doubling in 12 months. i have complained so many times and just get BS. they can test my meter, but it will cost me for an engineer (yes, thats what they are ) to remove it, then £80 to test it and then pay for it refitting.

we are paying over £60 and the only think thats gas is a combi boiler. we have got electric cooker and shower that are used daily and my electric is only £40 a month
Old 22 June 2013, 10:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

So your saying you need to be an engineer to undo two nuts on a meter
Old 23 June 2013, 09:57 AM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Does that mean I can do it myself then?
Cheers chip, if it blows our house up when I've refitted I'll say you said anybody could do it
Old 23 June 2013, 10:03 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boozydave
Does that mean I can do it myself then?
Cheers chip, if it blows our house up when I've refitted I'll say you said anybody could do it
Did I say that? No!

I said it does not need an engineer to undo two nuts on a meter. Being qualified to do this simple task DOES NOT make you an engineer.

Did you ever change a wheel on your pushbike? Yes? Then you probaby think your an engineer do you
Old 23 June 2013, 01:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Explains why he went around looking at every gas appliance and room vent...lucky the lounge has trickle vents in all the windows otherwise the fire would have to be disconnected. FFS its a ventilated suspended wooden floor...and there is a vent hole UNDER the fireplace...as it was originally designed for a wood burner..I have the original house plans to prove it).

Despite this, he never checked the burner pressure of the boiler....maybe because the risk of fecking it up after removing the cover is too great? Nor did he check the combustion (Co/CO2) quality of anything. Which IMO is far more important that looking around for air vents

The worst bit? Having a old meter replaced with a metric one. F**k me the numbers didn't half spin round faster when the boiler is running on full chat (more decimal places). I had to convert the numbers back to cubic feet to make sure it was working right.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 June 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 23 June 2013, 02:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Ali,

Your bill should read in metric anyway so you should find it easier.
Old 23 June 2013, 02:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yeah, but I had to wait 3 months to get the bill, so in that time I had a load of numbers spinning round on the meter a lot faster than the old meter.
Old 23 June 2013, 03:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What annoys me Geoff...
What I like about this post is that now I know alcazar=Geoff.

Other than that, you lot can stop complaining until you try oil, or worse, bulk tank LPG.
Old 23 June 2013, 09:23 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Did I say that? No!

I said it does not need an engineer to undo two nuts on a meter. Being qualified to do this simple task DOES NOT make you an engineer.

Did you ever change a wheel on your pushbike? Yes? Then you probaby think your an engineer do you
actually i am an engineer, an electrical engineer. i build CNC machines, panel wiring, PLC programming, inspection and testing. or does that not qualify as an engineer in your opinion?

anyway, back on topic. don't let them swap your meter, it'll cost you more than you pay now. rubbing *****
Old 23 June 2013, 09:31 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boozydave

. don't let them swap your meter, it'll cost you more than you pay now. rubbing *****
How will it cost more? Nearly all new meters fitted will benefit the consumer, but hey,why let the facts get in the way of a bit of bull****.

Quick Reply: Gas Meter Exchange.