Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Leicester - UK City of Culture 2017 finalist.

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2013, 06:02 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leicester - UK City of Culture 2017 finalist.

Any thoughts please?
Old 21 June 2013, 06:30 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im thinking of having a crumpet for breakfast
Old 21 June 2013, 06:57 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The place is a **** hole
Old 21 June 2013, 07:02 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
The place is a **** hole
Correct answer.
Old 21 June 2013, 07:06 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Well, it's certainly a multi-cultural place......

Mainly, the culture grows on the pavements.
Old 21 June 2013, 07:23 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Oxymoron, surely?
Old 21 June 2013, 07:48 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
im thinking of having a crumpet for breakfast
I asked for that!

Did you in the end?

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2013, 08:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Why not just permanently give it to London, it gets everything else so why should this be different?
Old 21 June 2013, 08:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Who decides these things
Old 21 June 2013, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Why not just permanently give it to London, it gets everything else so why should this be different?
What he said^^^^
Old 21 June 2013, 02:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It never seemed particularly cultural to me!

Les
Old 21 June 2013, 03:01 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

on a serious note, living close to Leicester I find it quite a pleasant city.
much cleaner and generally nicer than any of the surrounding cities and far better than that sh1te hole London.
Old 21 June 2013, 03:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
The place is a **** hole

beaten to it,,, lol

worked there for 2 years, place is a dump
Old 21 June 2013, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

First UK city , (of many that will), to go majority Asian.

There you go...it's their prize.
Old 21 June 2013, 08:46 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

First time I ever saw a burka was Leicester and it scared the **** out of me.

Anyway, Chester is one of the other finalists and its 100x nicer. Parks, river, racecourse, canal, roman walls and rows, amphitheatre, cathedral etc etc
Full of traditional British history and less 'multi-cultured' than a lot of other places.
Old 21 June 2013, 08:57 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellie*

Anyway, Chester is one of the other finalists and its 100x nicer. Parks, river, racecourse, canal, roman walls and rows, amphitheatre, cathedral etc etc
Full of traditional British history and less 'multi-cultured' than a lot of other places.

and another finalist is ----- HULL ...

cant see it beating Chester tho'.....
Old 21 June 2013, 10:19 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*

I'm sure the woman in the burka was equally **** scared when she saw your fat *** in 'fitch' tracksuit bottoms and sweaty Ugg boots

By the way I don't suppose you see the irony of your comment about Chester being 'less multicultured' and having roman walls and amphitheatres? Who do you think built those then?

Last edited by Dingdongler; 21 June 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 21 June 2013, 10:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

And that's just the blokes..
Old 22 June 2013, 01:57 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
on a serious note, living close to Leicester I find it quite a pleasant city.
much cleaner and generally nicer than any of the surrounding cities and far better than that sh1te hole London.
London is the greatest city on earth. Makes me so angry that people call our fantastic capital a '****ehole' that's just basic ignorance and/or jealousy.

People from all around the world come to London, shame you cannot share in their wonderment out our amazing capital.
Old 22 June 2013, 02:38 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Martin2005
London is the greatest city on earth. Makes me so angry that people call our fantastic capital a '****ehole' that's just basic ignorance and/or jealousy.

People from all around the world come to London, shame you cannot share in their wonderment out our amazing capital.

its your capital and not mine and I stand by my statement of its a **** hole.
Old 22 June 2013, 08:34 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I agree with Martin, London is an amazing place. Could be why over 13m visited last year.

Last edited by Chip; 22 June 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

On the other hand some people don't think it's fantastic and they are entitled to think that even if calling it a ****hole is going a bit far.

I come from London but left in 1983 and would never go back. Yes it's got a lot of wonderful history and attractions for tourists etc. but I find it too big yet claustrophobic at the same time due to the amount of people crammed in there and the fact you can rarely go anywhere without getting into some sort of transport issue no matter how you choose to travel.

I also feel it is given a far from realistic airing by the media. I know we don't wnat to put tourists off from going there, but you would think if you take the overall impression from the media that the streets are almost literally paved with gold and that poverty and crime only happens 'up North'.

For instance whenever there is a TV drama focusing on drugs, crime, poverty, urban decay etc. it is set in Scotland, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle.... basically anywhere except London. Even documentary makers shy away from focusing on London if their programme is about anything negative!

Then there is the fact that like it or not a huge amount of money is continually spent on London. I don't know if it is disproportionate or not, but it feels it given the amount of press it gets!

These are the sort of things I think breed resentment from people in other towns and cities and can end up with them labelling it a ****hole!

All that said however it is way better than Leicester
Old 22 June 2013, 09:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I agree with Martin, London is an amazing place. Could be why over 13m visited last year.
That and the Olympics weren't in Leicester
Old 22 June 2013, 09:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
By the way I don't suppose you see the irony of your comment about Chester being 'less multicultured' and having roman walls and amphitheatres? Who do you think built those then?
Hilariously stupid.... Thank you for pointing that out to her

Is it ****! London is a **** hole. There is no ignorance or jealousy, I like to think I'm well traveled and my heart sinks whenever I have to travel to that place. Might be nice to walk around and see the sights for a couple of days - hence the mass of visitors every year but overall its crap. A city isn't based on the buildings and sights, its based on the people who occupy it. I can walk down the high street of any town or village, same with many a city in England and smile at a complete stranger and get a nice response back, even a hello reciprocated. London, not a chance - Everybody is too wrapped up in their own existance to have any time to be social and interact. And its not the fact you get ignored, you get a hostile respone like WTF are you looking at.... There is a reason for rules on traveling the London Underground, Im pretty sure number one is don't make eye contact... When I meet people and they tell me they want to visit England, my first response is if you want to see England, dont visit London.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Back on topic mind, Leicester - Not the prettiest city, but it will never get the vote of Scoobynet. Horrible little place if you hate Asians and have and a member of the EDL or BNP. If you actually have a bit of common sense and a grasp of reality then its not all bad.
Old 22 June 2013, 11:51 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Dave, I have to agree with Martin and it gets my back up when people just dismiss London as being a big ****hole.

It is far from perfect and there are parts which are very deprived and have all the associated problems. On the other hand it has a diversity of culture, arts, history, architecture, cuisine, green spaces and business that is second to none in the world.

It is also not as unfriendly as people make out. In rush hour on the tube in the morning when millions are trying to get to work you can't expect everybody to stop and say hello. This is no different to any other major city, either developed or developing world.

You can measure people by how they react to their fellow man in times of adversity. If you look at the reaction of Londoners during the 7/7 bombings, Kings Cross fire or even the stabbing of drummer Rigby you'll see what I mean.
Old 22 June 2013, 11:52 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

still disagree about London, I have visited a few times and I think its a dirty horrible unfriendly place.
Old 22 June 2013, 12:00 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Argue amongst yourselves if you like, but it's going to be Plymouth.
Old 22 June 2013, 12:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I suggest if we're french you'd probably say Paris was the greatest city on earth
Old 22 June 2013, 12:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Dave, I have to agree with Martin and it gets my back up when people just dismiss London as being a big ****hole.

It is far from perfect and there are parts which are very deprived and have all the associated problems. On the other hand it has a diversity of culture, arts, history, architecture, cuisine, green spaces and business that is second to none in the world.

It is also not as unfriendly as people make out. In rush hour on the tube in the morning when millions are trying to get to work you can't expect everybody to stop and say hello. This is no different to any other major city, either developed or developing world.

You can measure people by how they react to their fellow man in times of adversity. If you look at the reaction of Londoners during the 7/7 bombings, Kings Cross fire or even the stabbing of drummer Rigby you'll see what I mean.
I also recall lots of raleighing around last year when the next generation tried burning the place to the ground. Even the people who live their hate it I dont expect people to stop and say hello. Most of my experience of the tube is whilst at work and trying to get to work at the same time. I still try to smiley and happy. I dont expect hellos everywhere I go but a smile is not hard to muster, it wont slow your journey down. **** knows how blokes manage to pull in a horrid environment lol

Quick Reply: Leicester - UK City of Culture 2017 finalist.