Science Museum Group in trouble - museums may have to close

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2013, 10:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Science Museum Group in trouble - museums may have to close

I have been surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet,

The Sience Museum Group that runs the Science Museum in London, the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in York is in financal trouble having had its government funding cut in real terms by 35% in recent years as part of the austerity cuts.

Coupled to that is the fact that they cannot chrage for admission due to the previous government pledging all national museums should be free admission. Despite attempting dialogue with the current government over changing this no priority is being placed on it by said government!

As such it is likely that one or more of the northern regional museums will have to close.

All of these museums are big attractions that bring huge numbers of people to the areas they are located in (with a knock on effect to the local economy in general), but more than that they capture important parts of British history and how we shaped the modern world. Losing any of them would be terrible.

I know I am always moaning about the government, but I find it nauseating that they are happy to cut the funding of museums like this that are such a benefit to the British people yet are proud to stand up and beat the drum over how proud they are to be giving billions away in foreign aid to benefit people in foreign countries (reference Cameron's recent speech about how it makes him proud to be British to be able to give this aid to foreign countires and even hinting at giving more).

While I believe foreign aid has its place the old saying charity begins at home repeatedly comes to mind!

Last edited by f1_fan; 16 June 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 16 June 2013, 10:27 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Charity should be a choice of the giver not the government forcing people to give to the charity the government wants.

It should be that individual gives the money or doesnt and it should be made illegal for the government to be able to give away money raised through taxation etc

That would immediately stop a lot of our charity donations dispappearing into some bodies back pocket in India and then people could afford to support their local charities more
Old 16 June 2013, 10:32 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad as it is, you're surprised a thread about museum being in trouble hasnt been started on a subaru website???
Old 16 June 2013, 10:36 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Sad as it is, you're surprised a thread about museum being in trouble hasnt been started on a subaru website???
More surprisingly, I actually agree with him.
I doubt it'll happen again any time soon.
Old 16 June 2013, 11:12 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well we used to discuss this sort of thing in here all the time, but I guess you're right... these days if it isn't immigrant bashing or a topic of outrage over something like the heinous crime of legalising gay marriage or the likes then no one's interested
Old 16 June 2013, 11:14 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Lol only took you 2 post to.mention immigrants.
im impressed
Old 16 June 2013, 11:17 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

im impressed
I should have waited to see if someone managed to blame the museums' demise on the immigrants

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2013, 11:18 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

im impressed
And shirt-lifters.
That's probably my fault though.
Old 16 June 2013, 11:20 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by c_maguire
And shirt-lifters.
That's probably my fault though.
Get it all in one thread

"Museums to close due to gay immigrants wanting to get married"
Old 16 June 2013, 11:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Get it all in one thread

"Museums to close due to gay immigrants wanting to get married"
OK stop wrecking my thread you fat ****
Old 16 June 2013, 11:30 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by f1_fan
OK stop wrecking my thread you fat ****
Im only posting what you really want to talk about
Old 16 June 2013, 11:33 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

The Sience Museum Group that runs the Science Museum in London, the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in York is in financal trouble having had its government funding cut in real terms by 35% in recent years as part of the suterity cuts.

Coupled to that is the fact that they cannot chrage for admission due to the previous government pledging all national museums should be free admission. Despite attempting dialogue with the current government over changing this no priority is being placed on it by said government!

As such it is likely that one or more of the northern regional museums will have to close.

All of these museums are big attractions that bring huge numbers of people to the areas they are located in (with a knock on effect to the local economy in general), but more than that they capture important parts of British history and how we shaped the modern world. Losing any of them would be terrible.

I know I am always moaning about the government, but I find it nauseating that they are happy to cut the funding of museums like this that are such a benefit to the British people yet are proud to stand up and beat the drum over how proud they are to be giving billions away in foreign aid to benefit people in foreign countries (reference Cameron's recent speech about how it makes him proud to be British to be able to give this aid to foreign countires and even hinting at giving more).

While I believe foreign aid has its place the old saying charity begins at home repeatedly comes to mind!

It does make you wonder when you here of things like this happening,and then you here of our Government giving away pot loads of money to a foreign country,it is a p1ss take that they seem to always do this.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:24 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The Sience Museum Group that runs the Science Museum in London, the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in York is in financal trouble having had its government funding cut in real terms by 35% in recent years as part of the suterity cuts.

While I agree with the sentiment the museums and galleries are certainly not free.We recently went to the Tate modern (it was ****e) and for the two of us to see the so called "special" exhibits would have been over £140. Hardly free is it.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
While I agree with the sentiment the museums and galleries are certainly not free.We recently went to the Tate modern (it was ****e) and for the two of us to see the so called "special" exhibits would have been over £140. Hardly free is it.
Thanks for that, but not really remotely relevant to the topic being discussed.

The four museums in the original post are completely free admision. Indeed I have been to two of them in the last 12 months. I don't recall mentioning the Tate Modern in the post, but hey maybe that's because it's an art gallery not a museum... although I maybe wrong!

Anyway see here:

Free Museums

Last edited by f1_fan; 16 June 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:46 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

F1, you clearly stated all were free whereas they are not. Entry maybe, but not to see the exhibits. It's a bit like a cinema, free entry to the foyer but you pay to see the film, get it now?

Although of course,like yourself I may be wrong.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
F1, you clearly stated all were free whereas they are not. Entry maybe, but not to see the exhibits. It's a bit like a cinema, free entry to the foyer but you pay to see the film, get it now?

Although of course,like yourself I may be wrong.
Only going on wat I read and what I have experienced.

There are a number of National Museums in the United Kingdom, which are owned and operated by the state. The national museums of the UK are funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) of the United Kingdom government, and are all located in England. There are 14 national museums, all established by Acts of Parliament, as well as another eight which are sponsored by the DCMS. In addition, there are national museums in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which are supported by the devolved legislatures. National museums in Scotland are funded by the Scottish Executive Education Department in Wales by the Welsh Assembly Government and in Northern Ireland by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure of the Northern Ireland Executive.

Free entrance is standard practice in all UK National Museums, although some exhibits do require an admission fee to view. Several of the museums have more than one location throughout the UK.

Additionally out of the four museums mentioned in the original post 3 have completely free entry, the fourth, the Science Museum in London, I can't speak for personally as haven't been there recently to be fair.

All that said I think you are somewhat missing the point and that is that if we lose even one of these great museums it would be a tragedy. I know you don't like ill spoken of your prefered polictical party, but the fact is they have their priorities wrong.

Last edited by f1_fan; 16 June 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 16 June 2013, 01:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The science museum in London is still free as are several others. They are always heaving with tourists and school kids but I wonder whether or not charging would actually affect the throughput of people - there needs to be a balance struck and whilst we sit in a recession with earnings generally reducing in real terms people will not accept a tax hike to support this, but why should foreign tourists get what we pay for for free
Old 16 June 2013, 01:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
The science museum in London is still free as are several others. They are always heaving with tourists and school kids but I wonder whether or not charging would actually affect the throughput of people - there needs to be a balance struck and whilst we sit in a recession with earnings generally reducing in real terms people will not accept a tax hike to support this, but why should foreign tourists get what we pay for for free
Good point. I think the Science Museum in London would be fine with charging an admission as the tourists flock there like you say.

I can't see the National Media Museum in Bradord and to a lesser extent the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester fairing so well by charging an admission though. The National Railway Museum would probably be OK too as again York is a popualr tourist city.

It needs thought and a proper solution.

I would be very sad to see the MOSI go as it is a celebration of the Industrial Revolution that Manchester palyed a huge part in. Living around Manchester I go there at least once a year. My father was a steam and diesel marine engineer ... it was one of the last places I ever went with him before he died (him describing the engineering behind some of the exhibits had a lot of people's attention that day) so it holds a lot of history for me personally too!

Last edited by f1_fan; 16 June 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 16 June 2013, 01:20 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if the London Science Museum was a lucrative going concern with money coming in from tourism, then that income could be used to subsidise those who don't have the same revenue stream - I think all the museums should continue to be free for UK Passport holders
Old 16 June 2013, 01:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
But if the London Science Museum was a lucrative going concern with money coming in from tourism, then that income could be used to subsidise those who don't have the same revenue stream - I think all the museums should continue to be free for UK Passport holders
Yep, so let's hope someone from the governemnt talks to the Science Museum group sooner rather than later.
Old 16 June 2013, 01:28 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Why can't we charge tourists and anybody with a UK passport is free?

I've experienced this abroad myself in other countries.

I suppose it probably contravenes some Human Rights nonsense that Labour forced us into
Old 16 June 2013, 01:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

I suppose it probably contravenes some Human Rights nonsense that Labour forced us into
Even if it doesn't it would no doubt be challenged in the ECHR by some **** and they would no doubt find in their favour!
Old 16 June 2013, 01:42 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I will be more then happy for the government to charge to enter them. I always buy the magazine upon entry that goes towards admin.. £10 for the 2 of us.
Old 16 June 2013, 02:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have always enjoyed seeing those museums and I agree completely with F1 Fan. I think it would be a gross dereliction by the government if they were forced to close down. It would be a very big loss to the country and the people.

Les
Old 16 June 2013, 02:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The one in Manchester is always busy. All kids should have access to steam trains!
Old 16 June 2013, 02:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have always enjoyed seeing those museums and I agree completely with F1 Fan. I think it would be a gross dereliction by the government if they were forced to close down. It would be a very big loss to the country and the people.

Les
It's crazy if you ask me. Granted the hall with the planes is a bit run down at Manchester but all the steam stuff rocks. There is an early EE Lightning prototype in the space/air hall which is very cool though.
Old 16 June 2013, 02:32 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

This. I believe that it should be free for UK people and tourists pay. Certainly all the museums I've been to abroad I have had to pay, so it seems a little odd that the ones in London are free?
Old 16 June 2013, 04:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Pity. As a child I used to love the science and industry museum in Birmingham. Lots of cool stuff in there from the Victorian and WWII eras. Plenty of local history too as alot of stuff was made in the area. I used to go pretty regular during school holidays as at the time my mum was working in Brum in a accounts office up the road, and it was the only thing of interest to do round there at the time. Plus it was free.

They closed it, demolished it. and replaced it with the "Birmingham Think Tank". Which as nice as it is, fails to pay true homage to the area's true influence to the rest of the UK.

Worst of all...you have to pay to get in. If it was a couple of quid, it wouldn't matter to much...but its £12+ for adults and £8+ for kids above 3yrs!..Combine that with travel costs, be it parking/fuel or public transport makes for a poor VFM. Hence I've only been once.

As a adult, I don't mind paying something, but the charges for kids is truly staggering.
Old 16 June 2013, 05:20 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Well we used to discuss this sort of thing in here all the time, but I guess you're right... these days if it isn't immigrant bashing or a topic of outrage over something like the heinous crime of legalising gay marriage or the likes then no one's interested
If you want to get married I've got no issues with that
Old 16 June 2013, 06:59 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Not all that surprised to be honest, the last time I went to the Science Museum in London it was pretty pants, and nowhere near as good as it should be considering all the things this country has contributed to science. I mean, there's an entire floor dedicated to DNA and the genome, and it's the most boring thing I've ever seen in a museum.

The last decent thing I saw there was a mini exhibition of F1's contribution to technology outside of motor racing, but that was only temporary.

Quick Reply: Science Museum Group in trouble - museums may have to close