Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Illegal websites

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2013, 08:18 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Illegal websites

After the conviction of that sick retard that killed that little girl in Wales the children's charity's are asking for a crack down on child **** sites.

Am I missing something? I thought child **** was illegal in this country and without googling I would have thought typing child **** referring words would bring up an official government warning.

No?
Old 31 May 2013, 08:24 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't quite follow either, yes it is massively illegal already.

Perhaps they want ISPs to me more proactive and quicker to respond to requests to disconnect websites.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:29 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have thought that it is not as simple as just googling the two words. The sites are probably named some thing random to try and hide them.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You guys never heard of 'Tor' '.onion' or 'the Deep Web'? That's how easy it is to access this and other material should you so wish.

Handy if you want a hired assassin too, apparently.
Old 31 May 2013, 09:35 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
You guys never heard of 'Tor' '.onion' or 'the Deep Web'? That's how easy it is to access this and other material should you so wish.

Nope, can't say I have!!

As said before I had assumed (falsly is seems) that everything possible was already being done to stop these site and catch their users.
Old 31 May 2013, 12:23 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen that kind of **** in a long, long time. It used to be rife. If you were into doing illegal things (i.e. cracking programs etc..), using certain types of program to download software or (in the bygone days of IRC) using some chat programs I would see those kind of images all the time. Obviously not solicited by me, but the adverts seemed to assume "looking for dodgy software serials = want to look at young teenage girls".

So to a certain extent I would say that things have been cleaned up and even hosting countries like Russia seem to have cracked down.

But, as always, technology moves on. And if you ARE looking for that kind of stuff there is Tor and Onion as mentioned above and they are really hard to stop. They truly hide both your and the servers identity. You may have heard in the news about the LulzSec group and they were only caught because one of them forgot to use TOR to connect to a chatroom, other than that not a hope of tracing them.
Old 31 May 2013, 12:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

While this discussion is all very well do we actually believe that viewng these sort of images turns someone into a murdering paedophile as that is the implcation by these charities.

They seem to be implying that if he hadn't had those images he wouldn't have done it..... which is of course unproven and likely to be nonsense!
Old 31 May 2013, 01:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I usually look at the Customer Advertising board in Lidl

Typical of the media whipping up hysteria while not understanding how the Deep Web works.
Old 31 May 2013, 01:34 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
They seem to be implying that if he hadn't had those images he wouldn't have done it..... which is of course unproven and likely to be nonsense!
Though unrelated directly to this killer, I think the point charities are making is that if there is no 'market' for these kinds of images, fewer pictures will be shared and fewer children will be abused and potentially killed.

I too am dubious about the link of looking at such pictures turning someone into a killer paedophile. I think it's a symptom rather than the cause. The same crap is spouted by people who link murders to violent videogames.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 31 May 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 31 May 2013, 01:47 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

The suggestion that Google should police their results and remove anything illegal just shows an ignorance of technology and the practices of those involved in illegal activities.

Proactively removing content would need human intervention as I very much doubt sites carrying such content have 'CHILD ****' splashed all over them in such a way that an algorithm could detect. Google has millions, if not billions and trillions of indexed pages... the cost implications are just unfeasible, no matter how abhorrent the content might be. Besides, I'd put money on the fact that the sickos that DO want to find this stuff don't Google for it - as has been said already there are lots of sub-networks around which allow more anonymous browsing and data transfer.

Rather than making the content harder to find, they should be focusing on tracking down the people making it and stopping it ever existing in the first place.
Old 31 May 2013, 01:50 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

I had never heard of it either until recently. All my mates in the city use the "Deep Web" to source their evening highs.
Old 31 May 2013, 02:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Chap on radio was saying that people go to legal **** sites but these are loaded with ads for other illegal sites. Often with coded names that are understood by the paedophile s,hitheads.

I came across one years ago when I was doing some research into safety of kids wearing seat belts on school buses; I suppose the word "children" was picked up. It was horrible.

The request was for Google and the like to crack down on these ads.

I suppose there is the question as to whether it's better for paedos to get their kicks from a computer screen rather than going out for the real thing? But I doubt it works that way and kids will still be harmed.

dl
Old 31 May 2013, 03:09 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Onion/Tor network is a whole nother world where nearly everything and anything can be bought and sold using bitcoins.
Old 31 May 2013, 04:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What I don't understand is when it supposedly affects large companies pockets they are screaming at British courts to get ISP's to ban downloading sites yet they don't ban the child **** ones?
Old 31 May 2013, 05:03 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
What I don't understand is when it supposedly affects large companies pockets they are screaming at British courts to get ISP's to ban downloading sites yet they don't ban the child **** ones?
Know what you're saying mate but it ain't really that simple, as the guys mentioned above. It's a mess alright though!
Old 31 May 2013, 07:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

IMO the Internet needs censoring. If thats possible, i don't know. There is the rumpus about JLO's *** on BGT, yet easily, and without much effort you can stumble accross some pretty sick (but legal) stuff.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:13 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Nope, never and i don't want anything to do with it.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:16 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
IMO the Internet needs censoring....
Click image for larger version

Name:	jiFfM.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	74637
Old 31 May 2013, 07:17 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Regardless of whether for against, imagine the complexity technically, politically, socially, of trying to censor the internet.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:56 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

While i quite agree about restricting or trying to make this type of **** nigh on impossible to view , to me, its just the thin edge to a slippery slope. If its successful, whats next on the list? This argument has gone on for years and will continue until the do gooders get their way cos yet another sicko looked at images . yes, images were found on his pc , but it was his weak personality that he acted on. The images were just the catalyst to make him carry out this abhorrent crime.As guys ,and women dont forget, we all look at **** to a greater or lesser degree but that dont make us all go out and rape women . If its in somebodies psyche to commit horrendous crimes , they will, whether they watch the stuff or not
Old 31 May 2013, 09:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Regardless of whether for against, imagine the complexity technically, politically, socially, of trying to censor the internet.
Don't the Chinese manage it.
Old 31 May 2013, 09:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Chinese to not have access to the Internet, as we know it

They have access to a very controlled "walled garden"
Old 31 May 2013, 09:34 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

This all makes it sound like , since the advent of the internet , all of mans [or a certain percentage of them] evil thoughts and actions have been turned on. It wasnt around when saville and sickos like him were doing what they did so what was their excuse? Dirty b...ards one and all , no matter what age the victims are .
Old 31 May 2013, 09:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Don't the Chinese manage it.
No, absolutely not. They may try, and the 'great firewall' may deter casual browsing, but as a way to actually prevent determined people from accessing blocked material it's a spectacular failure - just as any such scheme was always guaranteed to be.
Old 01 June 2013, 07:52 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

People who think that censoring the internet works or could be made to work just show a complete misunderstanding of how information travels on the net.

If it was just a case of banning www.kiddyfiddlers.com then yes, it might be possible....however people devious enough to be looking for this sort of thing dont use normal websites.
Illicit material, whether its ****, stolen credit card details or the new Daft Punk album flows around the globe in waves via bit torrent, news groups and the deep web. None of this is traceable or stoppable. ever.
At the shallow end of the spectrum, I downloaded The Bourne Legacy (load of **** btw!) last night. All my ISP knows is that 750mb of data arrived at my computer from dozens of different sources around the globe.....it has no idea the content of that data or exactly where it came from.
There is no way that could have been stopped. Sure, they can find wherever The Pirate Bay is being hosted and shut down the servers, but that wont stop anything mainly because the films etc are not there, they are distributed in small chunks around the world on individual computer, besides it will just pop up somewhere else within a couple of days anyway.

The internet just physically CAN'T be censored. I am sitting here in France watching BBC iPlayer...it only took a few mouse clicks to get around the block BBC have on foreign viewers. There will always be a way around anything that is imposed.
Morally, its not possible either. No normal person wants kiddy **** to be available, but where do you draw the line and who decides what is to be made available to us proles?
kids - wrong.
BDSM between consenting adults? - technically its illegal to view this in France. Why? who decided that? and what will they take a dislike to next? Its not a slippery slope, once censorship starts its a vertical drop.

Last edited by David_Dickson; 01 June 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01 June 2013, 08:38 AM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=f1_fan;11106193]While this discussion is all very well do we actually believe that viewng these sort of images turns someone into a murdering paedophile as that is the implcation by these charities.

Don't know - ask April
Old 01 June 2013, 10:43 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
People who think that censoring the internet works or could be made to work just show a complete misunderstanding of how information travels on the net.

If it was just a case of banning www.kiddyfiddlers.com then yes, it might be possible....however people devious enough to be looking for this sort of thing dont use normal websites.
Illicit material, whether its ****, stolen credit card details or the new Daft Punk album flows around the globe in waves via bit torrent, news groups and the deep web. None of this is traceable or stoppable. ever.
At the shallow end of the spectrum, I downloaded The Bourne Legacy (load of **** btw!) last night. All my ISP knows is that 750mb of data arrived at my computer from dozens of different sources around the globe.....it has no idea the content of that data or exactly where it came from.
There is no way that could have been stopped. Sure, they can find wherever The Pirate Bay is being hosted and shut down the servers, but that wont stop anything mainly because the films etc are not there, they are distributed in small chunks around the world on individual computer, besides it will just pop up somewhere else within a couple of days anyway.

The internet just physically CAN'T be censored. I am sitting here in France watching BBC iPlayer...it only took a few mouse clicks to get around the block BBC have on foreign viewers. There will always be a way around anything that is imposed.
Morally, its not possible either. No normal person wants kiddy **** to be available, but where do you draw the line and who decides what is to be made available to us proles?
kids - wrong.
BDSM between consenting adults? - technically its illegal to view this in France. Why? who decided that? and what will they take a dislike to next? Its not a slippery slope, once censorship starts its a vertical drop.
I take it that site in the second paragraph is made up , but its highlighted as a link to a site ! Someone PLEASE click on it to see what comes up , surely its not that easy ? Im certainly not touching it

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 01 June 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01 June 2013, 03:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a shame that those who publicise any kind of **** on the Net can't be tracked down and heavily punished.

Les
Old 01 June 2013, 06:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Even when it's perfectly legal, Les?
Old 01 June 2013, 08:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Don't know - ask April
A flippant answer and one that by implication means you think there is a connection between the availability of these images and this kind of act. What evidence do you have for this?

Quick Reply: Illegal websites