Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance con

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2013, 12:32 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance con

A kid came shooting out of a side path on his bike into the side of my Peugeot runabout, putting a ding in the wing and smashing the wing mirror. I called police and ambulance, the kid admitted it was his fault and the cops took him home.

I contacted Churchill insurance to report the accident (which you're obliged to do) but stressed I was making no claim. Despite this my £171 insurance premium has had an additional £106 added to it. What a fxcking con
Old 25 May 2013, 08:11 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why they tell you to report any accident to them..Kerrrching! ££££££

You are now an accident magnet and a cashcow.

Last year I removed my (now ex) wife from my policy, kerrching, policy went up!

One less driver, half the mileage and more expensive...Dick Turpin lives on!
Old 25 May 2013, 08:20 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Being honest as cost you more,so you know what to do in future.
Old 25 May 2013, 08:23 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oldun

Last year I removed my (now ex) wife from my policy, kerrching, policy went up!

One less driver, half the mileage and more expensive...Dick Turpin lives on!
I challenged the same point and was told I had removed the shared liability, and having sole liability pushes the cost up

Paul
Old 25 May 2013, 04:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
A kid came shooting out of a side path on his bike into the side of my Peugeot runabout, putting a ding in the wing and smashing the wing mirror. I called police and ambulance, the kid admitted it was his fault and the cops took him home.

I contacted Churchill insurance to report the accident (which you're obliged to do) but stressed I was making no claim. Despite this my £171 insurance premium has had an additional £106 added to it. What a fxcking con
I find it very difficult to believe that they can justify increasing your premium when you have not made a claim and it was not your fault anyway. They certainly cannot say that you were entitled to lose your no-claim bonus.

I had an incident where minor damage was caused to my car which I also reported but did not claim for. It was counted correctly as a no fault accident with no claim and there was no change to my premium.

I think you are entitled to ask them officially to explain exactly why a no claim event which was not your fault anyway should result in a premium increase.

Les
Old 25 May 2013, 04:54 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Easy fix. Take your custom elsewhere. Another insurance company will ask if you have made a claim in the last 5 years. You will not have to tell them about this issue as you never made a claim. I'm with Aviva and they seem good. before that i was with esure. i made a non fault claim. they suspended part of my NCB until they had re-cooped all the losses from the other party's insurance. They only did that as i had no ncb protection.
Old 25 May 2013, 06:02 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Elephant were pretty good when they see I had a non claim on my account - car was stolen but as I didn't claim it didn't effect next years policy, - as far as I could tell. Different car etc
Old 26 May 2013, 04:36 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Statistics ..

My car was written off, I was 50 miles away .. my insurance didn't even get involved ..

Yet statistically as I got paid out, I'm more likely to have another accident.
Old 26 May 2013, 06:25 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I've just had a rather hefty claim settled as a 50/50, and all my insurances have gone down since.
Old 26 May 2013, 08:23 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

The catch with not telling them about no-claims accidents is in the small print. They don't ask 'Have you made any claims?' but 'Have you had any accidents?'. Failure to divulge invalidates the policy.

Deeper into the 'b@stards' department I was not informed of the increase in premium until 2 weeks after I had renewed, even though they were informed of the accident well before. So now it will cost more to transfer the policy elsewhere. Oddly Churchill's dopey dog ads don't mention this feature. Of course I'm ditching them even if ultimately it costs more with a different company
Old 26 May 2013, 09:57 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Don't Forget You Can Get The Boys Family House Insurance To Pay For Any Damage, My Bro Unless Has Same As You, After Lots Of Hotair From The Boys Father There Insurance PaidOut.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:19 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
The catch with not telling them about no-claims accidents is in the small print. They don't ask 'Have you made any claims?' but 'Have you had any accidents?'. Failure to divulge invalidates the policy.
The answer is still no. You were nowhere near your vehicle, you were not involved so you have not had any accidents. If they had asked had your car been involved in an accident then that would yield a different answer.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:42 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless of what the kid said at the scene one of these 'no win no fee' companies would still be willing to have a crack at claiming off your insurance if he wanted to.
In Europe any accident involving a cyclist automatically goes as the car drivers fault, and although the law here isn't exactly the same (yet) a PI solicitor would still fancy their chances, so the insurers may feel they are still likely to be dealing with a claim in the near future.

I tend to find most insurers I deal with don't increase the premiums at all for a non-fault claim.
Unfortunately some of there large/direct insurers do load, something I can't understand myself.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:45 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SRSport
The answer is still no. You were nowhere near your vehicle, you were not involved so you have not had any accidents. If they had asked had your car been involved in an accident then that would yield a different answer.
The question should be 'have you made any claims' and we also ask if you've been involved in any accidents in the last 5 years, just to cover ourselves.

I know it's easy to knock the insurers, but you'd be amazed how many people still 'forget' to mention claims, thinking they can get away with it.