Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Restaurant - Drinks not included

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2013, 12:11 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restaurant - Drinks not included

Took the kids to a chain restaurant two weekend ago. They had the kids meal that included drinks (menu it stated "kids meals include drinks"). On the rear of the menu there were Fruit Shoots they wanted labeled "Additional Drinks". This was the only text I saw regarding drinks. We got the Fruit Shoots without really thinking.

When the bill arrived we'd been charged for the Fruit Shoots. When I queried this, the waiter stated these "additional drinks" were not included in the kids meal. I paid the bill anyway. The money is not the issue here.

Afterwards I looked the menu over and no where does it say which drinks that are and aren't included. And the Fruit Shoots were simply labelled "Additional Drinks". I can't even see anything about what drinks are and aren't included in the small print. I even took a couple of photo's of the menu!

Anyway I wrote a complaint, because I though the menu could explain this better (or the waiter). Within a few days I got back a pro-forma response, which basically said "the menu states what drinks are and aren't included".

The money is not the issue here and it's actually just a small issue that didn't affect the evening out. I wouldn't have been bothered about recieving a standard response that said "thanks for your feedback we'll look at the labelling on the menu". But I'm miffed that they basically have fobbed me off with the complaint (I'd go so far to say they didn't even check the menu). So my question is do I take it any further?
Old 20 May 2013, 12:29 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Things like this pee me off too. You probably should have pushed things a bit more at the time but I don't see any harm in continuing to pursue now.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:34 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the sounds of it, there is no doubt that you are right in raising the issue; at the very least they are confusing customers with their vague wording. How hard is it to put (*excluded from free drinks deal) or something on the menu.

Whether you can be bovvered to pursue it is up to you!

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 20 May 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

no
Old 20 May 2013, 12:45 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
no
+1
Old 20 May 2013, 12:46 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I find everything about eating out in the UK just tedious and unpleasant. Overpriced, **** service from grump people and you never get enough, plus its usually frozen.

They know how to do it properly in the states and Canada.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Peedee,

You obviously eat in the wrong places then as we have some fantastic eateries here in the UK using some of the best produce you will get anywhere.

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2013, 01:19 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

I think I know which chain you are talking about... we had the same thing a few weeks ago!, it also worded something else differently as well to do with an offer on kids meals, very missleading and I bet not many people would even check the bill at the end.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:45 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Peedee
I find everything about eating out in the UK just tedious and unpleasant. Overpriced, **** service from grump people and you never get enough, plus its usually frozen.

They know how to do it properly in the states and Canada.
Anyone doing a low paid, tedious and stressful job in service involving members of the public has a right to be grumpy. Anyone who is chirpy and happy is either a liar or a moron! (David Mitchell's words not mine I hasten to add!).
Old 20 May 2013, 01:50 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Miniman, you should take it further

The chances are that the menu has been deliberately written in a vague and confusing manner, because they are banking on the fact that nine times out of ten people will just pay up and not complain.

Originally Posted by Chip
Peedee,

You obviously eat in the wrong places then as we have some fantastic eateries here in the UK using some of the best produce you will get anywhere.
I believe his location says it all in that respect
Old 20 May 2013, 02:13 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Anyone doing a low paid, tedious and stressful job in service involving members of the public has a right to be grumpy. Anyone who is chirpy and happy is either a liar or a moron! (David Mitchell's words not mine I hasten to add!).
Ah well, they chose to be a waiter, so crack on and do it instead of feeling sorry for yourself! It's about customer service, and I don't particularly care whether someone is doing a low paid job. Oh, and its hardly 'stressful' is it. They charge enough to eat out, so I expect a pleasant waiter / waitress.

Pfffft, David who?? Lol!!!

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Miniman, you should take it further

The chances are that the menu has been deliberately written in a vague and confusing manner, because they are banking on the fact that nine times out of ten people will just pay up and not complain.

I believe his location says it all in that respect
Haha I've eaten in loads of places around the uk, the world in fact. No one even comes close to the pleasantness of the yanks. Ok, so its probably fake and put-on, but who cares! At least they make the effort, unlike the majority of spotty-faced, young "the whole world is against me and society should give me a good job" student-types who patrol the vast majority of restaurants these days. Chin up buttercup!!
Old 20 May 2013, 02:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Certainly write to your MP about this very serious matter. At the very least it should have been mentioned in the Queen's speech

dl
Old 20 May 2013, 03:20 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

"Additional Drinks".

I think i would have put 2 and 2 together after reading that.

And when people say its not the money, it normally is.
Old 20 May 2013, 03:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Meanwhile, in Syria...........
Old 20 May 2013, 03:57 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grovesy
"Additional Drinks".

I think i would have put 2 and 2 together after reading that.

And when people say its not the money, it normally is.
After it was pointed out by the waiter it was obvious, hence my email to highlight the confusion (and the hope that they would reply saying "thanks we'll look at the wording"). However you've missed my point, they say it's clearly written in the menu and it's not. It was £6, I can assure it it's not the money, I'm not like that over a few pounds.

And to others - yes there are far more important things in the world - hence a general post to see what others would do.

Last edited by Miniman; 20 May 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 04:19 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Dear Sir,

I am disappointed with your response. I took some photos of the menu in question which I have attached to this e-mail. I would be grateful if you could indicate the place where it identifies which drinks are included or excluded from the free drinks offer.

Thank you in advance,

A. Terrier
Old 20 May 2013, 04:23 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Miniman
And to others - yes there are far more important things in the world - hence a general post to see what others would do.
My post was in no way meant to be highfaluting -- just a bit of banter.

I agree that I too would be a bit miffed. But I personally probably couldn't be bothered to persue it (simply because of the amount involved). But, as others have pointed out, that's the whole raison d'être of their 'underhandedness'.

Last edited by joz8968; 20 May 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 06:39 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by speedking
Dear Sir,

I am disappointed with your response. I took some photos of the menu in question which I have attached to this e-mail. I would be grateful if you could indicate the place where it identifies which drinks are included or excluded from the free drinks offer.

Thank you in advance,

A. Terrier
That's exactly how I would respond.
Old 20 May 2013, 06:45 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I think there is some truth to that

Originally Posted by Peedee
Ah well, they chose to be a waiter, so crack on and do it instead of feeling sorry for yourself! It's about customer service, and I don't particularly care whether someone is doing a low paid job. Oh, and its hardly 'stressful' is it. They charge enough to eat out, so I expect a pleasant waiter / waitress.

Pfffft, David who?? Lol!!!

Haha I've eaten in loads of places around the uk, the world in fact. No one even comes close to the pleasantness of the yanks. Ok, so its probably fake and put-on, but who cares! At least they make the effort, unlike the majority of spotty-faced, young "the whole world is against me and society should give me a good job" student-types who patrol the vast majority of restaurants these days. Chin up buttercup!!
To be honest, if the opinions/attitude you appear to have towards these people as shown on here are anything to go by, it's hardly surprising you don't get pleasant service.

Yes, there are some people who would be miserable no matter what the customer is like, but more often than not, rightly or wrongly, lack of pleasantness is usually a direct response to the manner of the customer. But hey, the customer is always right.
Old 20 May 2013, 07:03 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Certainly write to your MP about this very serious matter. At the very least it should have been mentioned in the Queen's speech

dl

Old 20 May 2013, 07:14 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I think there is some truth to that

To be honest, if the opinions/attitude you appear to have towards these people as shown on here are anything to go by, it's hardly surprising you don't get pleasant service.

Yes, there are some people who would be miserable no matter what the customer is like, but more often than not, rightly or wrongly, lack of pleasantness is usually a direct response to the manner of the customer. But hey, the customer is always right.
I'm pleasant to people that serve me, regardless of whether they're a moron or not......just don't complain when I don't leave tip if your a miserable sod!
Old 20 May 2013, 07:21 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Meanwhile, in Syria...........
Personally I would never eat offal!!!!!
Old 20 May 2013, 07:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 20 May 2013, 08:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Yanks would whinge and moan something shocking if they had recieved the experience you describe, that's why you wouldn't encounter service like that in the US.

Personally, yip I would have complained about it at the time. Once you have handed over payment, you are on the back foot.

There are many restaurants / coffee shops that I wouldn't set foot in. They get one opportunity, if the service is good I go back, if not there are plenty of others keen to have your custom.
Old 20 May 2013, 08:32 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Drinks not included yet you can't take. Your own!
Old 20 May 2013, 08:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but on a "set menu" if something says "Additional" I expect to pay something in addition to the set menu price
Old 20 May 2013, 09:02 PM
Lisawrx

Sorry, but on a "set menu" if something says "Additional" I expect to pay something in addition to the set menu price
I agree, but I suppose it really depends on the wording.

If the menu has drinks included, but fails to list what actually is included/excluded, then it is possible someone could just think 'additional' was just giving the prices if the customer wanted to purchase more on their own.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Sorry that is stretching it, the clue is in the word " additional"

Or maybe we need everything spelling out to us in really, simple, big letters, in crayon
Old 20 May 2013, 09:26 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Yanks would whinge and moan something shocking if they had recieved the experience you describe, that's why you wouldn't encounter service like that in the US.

Personally, yip I would have complained about it at the time. Once you have handed over payment, you are on the back foot.

There are many restaurants / coffee shops that I wouldn't set foot in. They get one opportunity, if the service is good I go back, if not there are plenty of others keen to have your custom.
HAHA

I remember a while back at a Hotel in Prague,i missed my flight and had to wait for flight next day.Anyhow i was in the bar having a drink,and these two yanks all suited and booted were sitting waiting for food.When the food did get served,one of the yanks said to his pal,what the hell is this the last supper..
Old 20 May 2013, 11:32 PM
Lisawrx

Sorry that is stretching it, the clue is in the word " additional"

Or maybe we need everything spelling out to us in really, simple, big letters, in crayon
Maybe, but I can understand how he may have misinterpreted the menu if it was a little vague.

I do see where you are coming from, but a lot of menus will state on them that certain meals have 'additional' items included, i.e. burger (including chips and salad) for example, yet there will be a place on the menu listing those very things as 'sides' or 'extras' or however they wish to word it. All I am saying is if the menu was vague and just stated the meal deal was say burger, chips and drink, but didn't state what drinks were or weren't included in the deal, having a section later on with 'additional' doesn't necessarily make it clear certain drinks are excluded. What I would say, is it depends on what exactly is on the menu, and as I haven't seen it myself, I don't know how I would have interpreted it.

If the place only sold certain drinks, but only a selection of them were in the additional section, I would assume they were excluded from the deal. If I was unsure, I would ask, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Restaurant - Drinks not included