Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My one good deed for the week

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2013, 08:55 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My one good deed for the week

Everyone hates those kind of people who bang your car door and walk away without a thought, scrape your car and dont leave a note etc ?

Well I certainly do and have been the victim several times myself, come back to your car to find a new scrape, dent, ding you name it

Last week I pulled into our train station car park and was sitting in my car sorting out car park payment when I noticed this older lady driving in , in a blue golf and start to park. Wouldnt have paid much attention but I glanced up when I heard some kind of scraping noise. Two guys who were walking past and only 20 yards away also must have heard the noise and they stopped to look at her parking. I see her reverse out and then align her car again before calmly getting out and checking the car next to her and then she just sauntered off !!

So I get out and walk over to inspect both cars. Sure enough she has scraped all done the side of this lovely blue Audi and her front bumper is all scuffed and damaged. There was no way she couldnt have either heard or felt it and yet she just calmly walked away.

So I took down the Audi's reg and her reg and then wrote a note for the Audi driver with her details on it, what time it happened and my contact details, tucked it under his windscreen wipers and went off to the train.
Walked onto the train and surprise surprise who should be sitting there but the dozy old bint !! So I took a photo of her

Coming back home I realised that I had not taken photos of the damage and went to check to see if the cars were still there, unfortunately she had gone but lo and behold who is standing beside his car on the phone but a nice gentleman clutching my note in his hand !
He was on the phone to the BTP and I introduced myself and waited whilst he filed in his report. Then they spoke to me, got my details and explained that they might recruit me for my investigation skills
Explained that I had a photo and sent it over to the guy and pointed out the CCTV cameras only 20 yards away .

The guy was very grateful and I just told him I hate people who do damage and walk away so hopefully that dozy woman is going to get a shock very soon in the form of a nice letter from British Transport Police...

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 20 May 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Removed Image
Old 20 May 2013, 09:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wanting your halo to slip so thought it best to inform you that publishing an image of someone in a non-public place (i.e. a place not accessibleto the general public where they an expect a reeasonable right to a certain level of privacy) and labelling them a 'dozy old bint' is illegal and potentially libellous!
Old 20 May 2013, 09:22 AM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Good work

Certainly above and beyond what the majority would do!

I had my car scraped like that last week outside my house and the only people who park their are my neighbours. No note, no knock on the door, nothing. Been inspecting everyone's car daily but can't find the culprit! People like that royally p**s me off!
Old 20 May 2013, 10:48 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saints_forever
Good work

Certainly above and beyond what the majority would do!

I had my car scraped like that last week outside my house and the only people who park their are my neighbours. No note, no knock on the door, nothing. Been inspecting everyone's car daily but can't find the culprit! People like that royally p**s me off!
Thanks, which is why I did it, pisses me off as well
Old 20 May 2013, 10:52 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Not wanting your halo to slip so thought it best to inform you that publishing an image of someone in a non-public place (i.e. a place not accessibleto the general public where they an expect a reeasonable right to a certain level of privacy) and labelling them a 'dozy old bint' is illegal and potentially libellous!

I knew there was a reason why I stopped posting on SN for ages and you have just reminded me. Aside from being incorrect about calling her a dozy bint and it being libellous and illegal, your holier than thou attitude has cemented the reason why I gave up contributing to this forum.

Old 20 May 2013, 11:09 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

When is a train station car park & train not a public space?
If your car was damaged in these circumstances I assume you would reject all the evidence offered to you.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I knew there was a reason why I stopped posting on SN for ages and you have just reminded me. Aside from being incorrect about calling her a dozy bint and it being libellous and illegal, your holier than thou attitude has cemented the reason why I gave up contributing to this forum.

The irony of someone who has not for some reason seen fit to speak to an old lady about what she did yet left a note, took a picture, published said picture. potentially libelled her, tracked down the owner and then spoke to the police calling ME holier than thou is almost too much to bear.

I would simply have spoken to her and given ther the chance to leave a note rather than not deal with it in a common sense manner.

As for you not contributig to the forum it has been a lot better recently

PS See you took said picture down so I guess as well as being holier than thou I was also right

Last edited by f1_fan; 20 May 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:22 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
When is a train station car park & train not a public space?
The picture was taken on a train which is a privately owned space and can only be accessed by paying a fee. It is not classed as a public space. Go and check out the legalituies of posting pictures of people on public trasnport without their permission if you don't believe me. There are several articles on the photography and legal sites about it. I do some photogrpahy as part of my job so like to know the legalities of these things before I publish anything!

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
If your car was damaged in these circumstances I assume you would reject all the evidence offered to you.
No I'd be very happy to know who had done it, but when they told me they didn't know and that if someone had been watching them they should just have spoken to them I would agree entirely with them!
Old 20 May 2013, 11:26 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have I missed something? Where's this picture been published? I'm pretty sure it is not libel to call someone a 'dozy bint' on the internet.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:27 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

calm down, he did a good thing, some people don't feel comfortable confronting people about things like this.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:31 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

The irony of someone who has not had the ***** to speak to an old lady about what she did yet left a note, took a picture, published said picture. potentially libelled her, tracked down the owner and then spoke to the police calling ME holier than thou is almost too much to bear.

I would simply have spoken to her and given ther the chance to leave a note rather than be too chicken **** to deal with it in a common sensel manner.

As for you not contributig to the forum it has been a lot better recently
She had the '*****' to scrape the other car, have a look and walk away. That is the kind of person who deserves no chance to explain herself and anyway the train was about to leave. I didnt track down the owner, he happened to be standing by his car when I came back to my car some 10 hours later. Would love to know how that is being 'chicken ****' as you put it ?

and I didnt take down the photo, no doubt you RTM the post and Dunk removed it. It is published elsewhere so sue me

Your attitude stinks, your posting style is obnoxious and you are obviously a cretin with probably few reddeming qualities, certainly not a likeable person on this forum as past evidence on here suggests.

I am sure everyone values the contributions you make to this forum

Last edited by SwissTony; 20 May 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:38 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

She had the '*****' to scrape the other car, have a look and walk away. That is the kind of person who deserves no chance to explain herself and anyway the train was about to leave. I didnt track down the owner, he happened to be standing by his car when I came back to my car some 10 hours later. Would love to know how that is being 'chicken ****' as you put it ?

and I didnt take down the photo, no doubt you RTM the post and Dunk removed it. It is published elsewhere so sue me

Your attitude stinks, your posting style is obnoxious and you are obviously a cretin with probably few reddeming qualities, certainly not a likeable person on this forum as past evidence on here suggests.

I am sure everyone values the contributions you make to this forum
No RTM from me so looks like someone else knows the law too

Just accept thet you were wrong, consider yourself to have learnt something and move on
Old 20 May 2013, 11:40 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
calm down, he did a good thing, some people don't feel comfortable confronting people about things like this.
I was actually just trying to be hlpful with my orginal post (and even edited my second to try and not be too aggressive), but he always has a problem with my posting style so I kind of knew it would kick off. Couldn't care less to be frank and I was of course .. right

Last edited by f1_fan; 20 May 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

When strong personalities clash on any forum, it always gets out of hand.

Not taking a side on this one but I do despise people's disregard for others cars.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:47 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Moral or immoral, legal or not I couldn't give a toss as long as I could find the culprit I would be a happy man

Well done

BTW its also illegal to damage another persons property and not Inform them of it, yet this old lady according to the op post, knew exactly what she had done and casually walked away, don't see you preaching the laws about that, instead you pin point the possible downfalls of the OP's post of what he had done and shoot him down, ohh the irony I'm sure if it was your car you wouldn't give a **** if they had taken a picture of the culprit in an "illegal place" you would be the same as anyone of us and be grateful you possibly have a resolve to the matter

Last edited by Infected by sti; 20 May 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
When strong personalities clash on any forum, it always gets out of hand.

Not taking a side on this one but I do despise people's disregard for others cars.
Me too Mattee, but there was a better way to handle this.

Anyway have said my piece, off to do some photography myself now.... not of old women on trains though
Old 20 May 2013, 11:48 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I have to laugh.
Someone posts a thread on SN about a good deed they did and this is how it goes down, lmao
Old 20 May 2013, 11:59 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

no doubt you RTM the post and Dunk removed it
Nobody RTM'd it

You did a great thing in helping the aggrieved person get a chance to have their car fixed without ending up out of pocket. If only more people did this

I did, however, feel it wasn't appropriate to post the persons image on here since it could have all sorts of repercussions; so I edited it. Hope that explains.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

No RTM from me so looks like someone else knows the law too

Just accept thet you were wrong, consider yourself to have learnt something and move on
I wasnt wrong so have nothing to learn, certainly not from you. What I have remembered is what a prize idiot you are, thanks for reminding me

I was actually just trying to be hlpful with my orginal post (and even edited my second to try and not be too aggressive), but he always has a problem with my posting style so I kind of knew it would kick off. Couldn't care less to be frank and I was of course .. right
You helpful ?? it had so many layers of bull**** with a thin veener of sarcasm that people would have had to dig deep to find any help in that reply. Your posting style is the problem, not just with me. Take a few minutes to wander through any of your posts on here over the last year to see just exactly where the problem is and you might be enlightened.

Well maybe not, because that is your style
Old 20 May 2013, 12:08 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

if it was my car that was damaged , id be grateful for the note.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Nobody RTM'd it

You did a great thing in helping the aggrieved person get a chance to have their car fixed without ending up out of pocket. If only more people did this

I did, however, feel it wasn't appropriate to post the persons image on here since it could have all sorts of repercussions; so I edited it. Hope that explains.
NO problem at all, the policeman at the other end of the phone was quite happy with me taking the photo and sending a copy to him and the Audi driver.

Maybe I should take down all those posters I created on my printer the other day that were titled

IF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS DOZY OLD BINT AND YOU HAVE A NEW MARK, DENT OR SCRAPE ON YOUR VEHICLE CALL CRIMESTOPPERS ON.....

Old 20 May 2013, 12:29 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

The picture was taken on a train which is a privately owned space and can only be accessed by paying a fee. It is not classed as a public space. Go and check out the legalituies of posting pictures of people on public trasnport without their permission if you don't believe me. There are several articles on the photography and legal sites about it. I do some photogrpahy as part of my job so like to know the legalities of these things before I publish anything!

No I'd be very happy to know who had done it, but when they told me they didn't know and that if someone had been watching them they should just have spoken to them I would agree entirely with them!
Biggest load of semi-informed waffle,half-truth,conjecture & nonsense I have heard in a long time.Thanks for that.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:36 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Well done mate - if only a few more people did some decent acts like this.

I got a "dozy old bint" arrested and their driving license permanently removed the other day - sorry got no photos to post up, but would if I had.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:54 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

+1
I would hope someone would make a similar effort should my car be scraped by a similarly careless driver.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Top marks Swiss, people who cause damage to other people's cars and then scarper are the lowest

Many years ago when I worked for a supermarket collecting trolleys, I witnessed 4 or 5 incidents like the above every month. I always left a note on the victims car with details of the other vehicle and instructions of how to contact me in the store.

After about six months, I got a verbal warning off the store manager because one of the offenders had complained, he told me I was to stop doing it

I then got a written warning about 3 months later because the store detective complained about me refusing to assist in the apprehension of shoplifters. Apparently it was wrong of me to turn a blind eye to all criminal activity on the premises just because I'd been instructed by management to ignore some
Old 20 May 2013, 01:09 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=f1_fan;11094866]The picture was taken on a train which is a privately owned space and can only be accessed by paying a fee. It is not classed as a public space. Go and check out the legalituies of posting pictures of people on public trasnport without their permission if you don't believe me. There are several articles on the photography and legal sites about it. I do some photogrpahy as part of my job so like to know the legalities of these things before I publish anything![\QUOTE]

In the eyes of the law a train carriage is deemed public. From your argument you are suggesting that everything you have to pay for is private i.e. paying to get in to football match, a pub/bar etc?

If its deemed private space, I'm guessing you can smoke on a train? Walk around naked and indicent? Etc. Oh wait....no....you can't!

Last edited by saints_forever; 20 May 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:13 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Good on you Swiss!
Old 20 May 2013, 01:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Well done Swiss, this country needs a lot more people like you.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:19 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I didn't see the pic, so can't comment on that, but I think what the OP did was a good thing and I'd certainly want someone to tell me if my car had been damaged by someone else that was scummy enough to walk away.

Good to see my love for member 'F1_fan' is equal amongst most other members on here lol!! I thought it was just me!!
Old 20 May 2013, 01:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

If it was my car that had been scraped I would have been very relieved to know that someone had been good enough to do what Swiss did. We live in a world where far too many people are content enough to shrug their shoulders and not get involved when things like this happen. I hope the owner of the scraped car bought you a pint.

Quick Reply: My one good deed for the week