So sad

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2013, 09:41 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So sad

read this and got something in my eye, shouldn't have to happen
"Her hair was up in a ponytail, her favorite dress tied with a bow. Today was Daddy's Day at school, and she couldn't wait to go.

But her mommy tried to tell her, that she probably should stay home. Why the kids might not understand, if she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid; she knew just what to say. What to tell her classmates of why he wasn't there today.

But still her mother worried, for her to face this day alone. And that was why once again, she tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school eager to tell them all, about a dad she never sees, a dad who never calls.

There were daddies along the wall in back, for everyone to meet. Children squirming impatiently, anxious in their seats.

One by one the teacher called a student from the class, to introduce their daddy, as seconds slowly passed.

At last the teacher called her name, every child turned to stare, each of them was searching, a man who wasn't there.

'Where's her daddy at?' she heard a boy call out. 'She probably doesn't have one,' another student dared to shout.

And from somewhere near the back, she heard a daddy say, 'Looks like another deadbeat dad, too busy to waste his day.'

The words did not offend her, as she smiled up at her Mom, and looked back at her teacher, who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back, slowly she began to speak. And out from the mouth of a child, came words incredibly unique.

'My Daddy couldn't be here, because he lives so far away. But I know he wishes he could be, since this is such a special day. And though you cannot meet him, I wanted you to know, all about my daddy, and how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories, he taught me to ride my bike, and he surprised me with pink roses, and taught me to fly a kite.

We used to share fudge sundaes, and ice cream in a cone, and though you cannot see him, I'm not standing here alone.

'Cause my daddy's always with me, even though we are apart, I know because he told me, he'll forever be in my heart.'

With that, her little hand reached up, and lay across her chest, feeling her own heartbeat, beneath her favorite dress.

And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads, her mother stood in tears, proudly watching her daughter, who was wise beyond her years.

She stood up for the love of a man not in her life, doing what was best for her, doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand back down, staring straight into the crowd, she finished with a voice so soft, but its message clear and loud.

'I love my daddy very much, he's my shining star, and if he could, he'd be here, but heaven's just too far.

You see he is a soldier and died just this past year, when a roadside bomb hit his convoy and taught the world to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes, it's like he never went away.' And then she closed her eyes, and saw him there that day.

And to her mother’s amazement, she witnessed with surprise, a room full of daddies and children, all starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them, who knows what they felt inside. Perhaps for merely a second, they saw him at her side.

'I know you're with me Daddy,' to the silence she called out. And what happened next made believers, of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it, for each of their eyes had been closed. But there on the desk beside her, was a fragrant long-stemmed rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment, by the love of her shining star. And given the gift of believing, that heaven is never too far." - Unknown Author

Dedicated to the children who's parents will never make it home....
Old 08 May 2013, 09:50 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tug at the heart strings a bit
Old 08 May 2013, 09:57 PM
speedflash
Scooby Regular

Very good.
Old 08 May 2013, 10:24 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09 May 2013, 06:00 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Sentiments like these make me wear my "HELP for HEROES" clothing with a great deal of pride.

They shall never be forgotten.
Old 09 May 2013, 08:28 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Marvellous.
Thanks for posting.

I'll get a copy put up in our Royal British Legion shop.
Old 09 May 2013, 09:13 AM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Load of rubbish.

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2013, 06:34 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti Addict
Load of rubbish.
You obviously dont have any feelings mate,imo anyone who doesnt feel touched by this is not human !
Old 09 May 2013, 06:42 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Thats very touching,my Son-in-law was in the Army for many years and when he was in Iraq and Afganistan it was a worrying time,and you really feel for those who do not come home.
Old 09 May 2013, 06:46 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

that was from the usa and the picture of the little girl was heartbreaking, there should be a charity in the uk for child hero's who have lost a services parent,
Old 09 May 2013, 07:14 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Read that a little while ago and got me again you rotter. My son is going to Afghanistan on the 21st of May for 6 months and I don't mind telling you I am 5hitting myself, mind you the wife is ten time worse.

STI addict SHAME ON YOU
Old 09 May 2013, 08:21 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

brave lad tell him thank you
Old 09 May 2013, 08:24 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Will do mate thank you
Old 09 May 2013, 10:53 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Big respect to all the lads and girls in the forces.
Old 09 May 2013, 11:34 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti Addict
Load of rubbish.
I've left it until now to post a reply, on the basis that a few other members need to speak first.

At best you are someone trying to be provocative, to stimulate debate (not sure if you intended it that way).
At worst you are one of those attention seekers who simply blurt something totally outrageous and then point to the fact that you've managed to upset loads of people.

That poem has clearly touched the hearts of many (it might be cheesy if you are uninterested in the implications of the current conflicts and theatres of operations that UK and Commonwealth CITIZENS are engaged in) but you have decided to post something controversial.

Death is not something to be dismissed lightly, with a cursory 'I think it's a load of riubbish', especially when it deals with the loss of a parent for a young child.

You sell humanity down the river just to be controversial.
Live with it, for some will know who you really are, and will not wish to be associated with you anymore.

PM me your details, and I will try to educate you.
Decline, and I will expose your cowardice - something OUR service personnel do not know - for all on here.
Old 10 May 2013, 07:44 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
I've left it until now to post a reply, on the basis that a few other members need to speak first.

At best you are someone trying to be provocative, to stimulate debate (not sure if you intended it that way).
At worst you are one of those attention seekers who simply blurt something totally outrageous and then point to the fact that you've managed to upset loads of people.

That poem has clearly touched the hearts of many (it might be cheesy if you are uninterested in the implications of the current conflicts and theatres of operations that UK and Commonwealth CITIZENS are engaged in) but you have decided to post something controversial.

Death is not something to be dismissed lightly, with a cursory 'I think it's a load of riubbish', especially when it deals with the loss of a parent for a young child.

You sell humanity down the river just to be controversial.
Live with it, for some will know who you really are, and will not wish to be associated with you anymore.

Decline, and I will expose your cowardice - something OUR service personnel do not know - for all on here.
Nicely put; these sort of 'rubbish' comments make me so annoyed, usually spoken by those who have no sympathy, empathy, pride or loyalty towards anything. If this was a genuine comment I can only hope the person concerned is surrounded by like minded people.
Old 10 May 2013, 10:36 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps what Sti Addict was so eloquently alluding to was that this poem is fiction, a variation of a poem that has been doing the rounds since 2007...

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/daddy.asp

However, it is probably very close to reality for many people who have lost loved ones, so shouldn't be dismissed.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 10 May 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10 May 2013, 11:14 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
brave lad tell him thank you
Who -Sti Addict

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
Well - did you educate?
Old 10 May 2013, 01:14 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Wow just wow!
Old 10 May 2013, 01:30 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Although the content is sensitive, essentially this is just spam
Old 10 May 2013, 01:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Although the content is sensitive, essentially this is just spam
Old 10 May 2013, 06:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yup, as said. Rubbish.

I have all the respect in the world for the guys and gals who serve the forces. This could be a touching story - if true, I'd be willing to bet I'm at least 90% sure on saying this is just made up spam. Nothing to see here.
Old 10 May 2013, 06:37 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

I'll get me coat
Old 10 May 2013, 06:40 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...98547651_n.jpg maybe it is spam but hopefully this is a link to the photo that came with the poem
Old 10 May 2013, 07:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Same can be said about a photo doing the round of a young girl who was supposed to have been killed in the Boston bombings who was running for charity. Anyone with ounce of sense knew it was fake (for a start you have to be 18 to run the Boston marathon) yet I still spent days seeing it posted by people all over Facebook. I'm sure it will still be doing the rounds for months to come.

If we all had the soft heart to cry at stuff like this, non of us would be willing to serve for our country and do the deeds most of us wouldnt like to do.
Old 10 May 2013, 07:24 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Don't be fooled into thinking a soldier won't cry after losing one of his own. Got that t shirt
Old 10 May 2013, 07:30 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why does becoming a parent turn you in to a emotional idiot reading this sort of thing.
Old 10 May 2013, 07:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Don't be fooled into thinking a soldier won't cry after losing one of his own. Got that t shirt
Oh I don't for one second believe otherwise. But being directly affected is slightly different to reading a story about someone you don't even know, let alone the story using a child to pass on the "message" so to say.
Old 10 May 2013, 07:44 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

I suppose, but does that mean its a bad message?
Old 10 May 2013, 07:48 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

On a happier note I'm just about to walk across our village to a 50th birthday party that has a Caribbean theme, I'm wearing a LOUD shirt and flip flops and its pi55ing down

Quick Reply: So sad