14yr old killed in dog attack.

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2013, 07:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14yr old killed in dog attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21321953

Early indications were two of the dogs put down were bull mastiffs and two may be Staffordshire bull terriers.

Well there's a surprise.
Old 26 March 2013, 07:51 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

But before everyone jumps on the bandwagon.......

Superintendent Mark Kenny said it was “too early to speculate” about what took place.
He said: “First and foremost, our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has tragically lost her life

Nik
Old 26 March 2013, 08:14 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Hmm, wasn't making people register them at the post office supposed to stop all this?
Old 26 March 2013, 08:22 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This is what ***** me off with the 'owners', bloody arseholes IMO.
Obviousley the dogs were not used to the child and why had the owners left the dogs with this child if she didn't live there (if that's what happened, or they left after in worry).
Any dog including staffs bulldogs mastiffs can be trained to be nice dogs and friendly with kids, but the owners obviously didn't.
I have a Rottweiler and although she is a nice dog and fairly well trained in the household I would never leave my Young daughter in the room alone with dog when even going to toilet,(maybe when shes old enough to control)just to be on the safe side although I 'hopefully' know she wouldn't do owt but I feel more safer doing that.

So in all I BLAME the owners!

This is a very sad case and seems to happen a lot and we who have dogs similar get frowned upon.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 26 March 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 26 March 2013, 08:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why you be having 5 dogs in place that size is another matter
Old 26 March 2013, 08:35 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

We have a 3 year old 7 stone Doberman called Ted and like said before I wouldn't trust him 100%. I suppose dogs are like people in that anyone can have a bad day. Man came to fix the washing machine today and sad "I'm not coming in if he's going to be there" so I said I'd give him a hundred quid if he bit him, I've still gt my hundred quid
Old 26 March 2013, 09:01 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
We have a 3 year old 7 stone Doberman called Ted and like said before I wouldn't trust him 100%. I suppose dogs are like people in that anyone can have a bad day. Man came to fix the washing machine today and sad "I'm not coming in if he's going to be there" so I said I'd give him a hundred quid if he bit him, I've still gt my hundred quid
My two year old (today) Newfoundland is over 8 stone. Another year of growing to go. I had two gas engineers here yesterday, one had met him before, the other hadn't. They think he's a bear! All he wants to do is play, but even his weight alone could be dangerous.
Old 26 March 2013, 09:06 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dogs are pack animals and are prey driven when in a pack mentality.
The alpha calls the shots, the pack follow.

However, the owners are responsible for their dogs socialization from puppy age.
Ultimately, the owners are responsible for their dogs behavior.
Old 26 March 2013, 09:15 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Did you see the dog whisperer programme a year or two ago when they did a countdown of the ten most dangerous dogs in the world and I think the Japanese Akita was number two but when asked what was number one he said "MAN". Pretty much every dog is what you make them.
Old 26 March 2013, 09:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

YOU are the alpha male in any pack in your house. Weather you have 1 or 7 dogs. They should ALL follow and respect you.
Old 26 March 2013, 09:47 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
YOU are the alpha male in any pack in your house. Weather you have 1 or 7 dogs. They should ALL follow and respect you.

That pretty much sums it up TBH....
Old 26 March 2013, 10:07 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Can't the owner be put down as well?
Old 26 March 2013, 10:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

This is the answer of course
Old 26 March 2013, 10:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

[US Logic] Nobody will be safe until EVERYONE has a pack of Bull Mastiffs. [/US Logic]
Old 26 March 2013, 10:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba po
[US Logic] Nobody will be safe until EVERYONE has a pack of Bull Mastiffs. [/US Logic]
ahah brilliant, and true

the "GOOD" guys need these killers too
Old 26 March 2013, 10:47 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

What an utterly hideous way for a 14 year old to die.
Old 27 March 2013, 01:42 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Apparently she was eating a meat pie and the first dog initially went for that.....5 powerful dogs in one small house is asking for trouble......
Old 27 March 2013, 07:37 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
What an utterly hideous way for a 14 year old to die.
That's exactly what I thought too.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:19 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

any person who has owned or raised dogs should know that any bad personality that a dog has,has been trained into the dog i have had all the breeds that the tabloid and goverment think are dangerous,and i have never ever had any kind of problems starting with me as a child and with now my own children spreading over 30 years.what i think people find it hard to believe is that any dog can be aggressive if trained that way or from being abused or starved the owner has to take 100% responsibility for his dogs actions.SJ.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:32 AM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

its defo how you bring them up. i have a dogue de bordeaux x english mastiff and he is one of the softest dogs i have ever met. my only problem with him, as said above is the size thing. he will pushing around 12 stone when grown (currently 8 stone @ 16 months) he could easily crush.a kid or over power one playing. you cant leave dogs with young kids alone.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:44 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Remove dogs from any family/person who is receipt of any type of state benefit

That would include child benefit, housing benefit and any form of tax credit

If you can't look after yourself without help you should not have a dependent dog

Sick and tired of subsidising these killer dogs
Old 27 March 2013, 08:45 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adamb87
its defo how you bring them up. i have a dogue de bordeaux x english mastiff and he is one of the softest dogs i have ever met. my only problem with him, as said above is the size thing. he will pushing around 12 stone when grown (currently 8 stone @ 16 months) he could easily crush.a kid or over power one playing. you cant leave dogs with young kids alone.
i agree with the size thing,my friend has your exact breed of dog its lovely but if that dog runs into you,you think you have been hit by a rugby tackle its that hard.SJ.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:53 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

the only victims here is the poor girl and the dogs that had to be put down,the owners of the dogs need dealing with. i also agree with what hodgy said about these benefit claimers who cant even feed themselves and have dogs that are not being taken care of i know the cost of having dogs as i have two,and i tell you this its not cheap.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 27 March 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:21 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Agree on that one Hodgy.

Our black lab is about as placid and well behaved as you can get yet I would still not leave her alone with our kids.

They are still dogs, however well you train them; I have a nice scar on my face as a reminder of how seemingly placid dogs can suddenly turn. For a little while, I had a hole through my cheek; just missed my eye.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:42 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

It seems an article of faith that if a dog is well bought up, it cannot turn out bad.
This just sounds like wishful thinking to me.
Dogs have a brain. The brain is a complex piece of hardware that can go haywire in humans but not in dogs?
Dogs are originally hunter pack animals that have been bred to have their natural instincts attenuated - yet still people think such behaviour when exhibited on occasion is an aberration?
Old 27 March 2013, 10:35 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

UK gun controls are very strict, yet statistically far more people were/are injured and killed by our loving pets than ever were/are by civilian-owned guns. It was possible not long ago simply to purchase a gun license at the Post Office. Several firearm-related atrocities (Hungerford, Dunblane) changed all that. Now the procedure is extremely demanding when deciding who can legally own a gun, and expensive too. Certain weapons were banned (pistols, self loading rifles) as being too dangerous to be in civilian ownership. It's time dog owners and dogs were similarly categorised and controlled or banned.
Old 27 March 2013, 10:38 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Agree on that one Hodgy.

Our black lab is about as placid and well behaved as you can get yet I would still not leave her alone with our kids.

They are still dogs, however well you train them; I have a nice scar on my face as a reminder of how seemingly placid dogs can suddenly turn. For a little while, I had a hole through my cheek; just missed my eye.
Because of the black lab?
Old 27 March 2013, 10:41 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
This is what ***** me off with the 'owners', bloody arseholes IMO.
Obviousley the dogs were not used to the child and why had the owners left the dogs with this child if she didn't live there (if that's what happened, or they left after in worry).
Any dog including staffs bulldogs mastiffs can be trained to be nice dogs and friendly with kids, but the owners obviously didn't.
I have a Rottweiler and although she is a nice dog and fairly well trained in the household I would never leave my Young daughter in the room alone with dog when even going to toilet,(maybe when shes old enough to control)just to be on the safe side although I 'hopefully' know she wouldn't do owt but I feel more safer doing that.

So in all I BLAME the owners!

This is a very sad case and seems to happen a lot and we who have dogs similar get frowned upon.
You are saying that the owners are to blame & yet you have a Rottweiler in the house that you are not 100% sure would not attack your daughter.
Why are you different to the owner/owners in the article?
Old 27 March 2013, 10:42 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nope, this attack was when I was three! Stroked a very placid looking smallish dog. Fine for a few minutes then it went for me.

Our lab has never even growled at anyone. Only annoying dogs get the odd lip curl.
Old 27 March 2013, 10:47 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
UK gun controls are very strict, yet statistically far more people were/are injured and killed by our loving pets than ever were/are by civilian-owned guns. It was possible not long ago simply to purchase a gun license at the Post Office. Several firearm-related atrocities (Hungerford, Dunblane) changed all that. Now the procedure is extremely demanding when deciding who can legally own a gun, and expensive too. Certain weapons were banned (pistols, self loading rifles) as being too dangerous to be in civilian ownership. It's time dog owners and dogs were similarly categorised and controlled or banned.

If the owner was up for culpable homicide in the case ,eg. ,there would be no more problems

Last edited by dpb; 27 March 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Damn word prediction :o

Quick Reply: 14yr old killed in dog attack.