Organising A Trip To The Monaco Grand Prix 2014

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2013, 10:23 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organising A Trip To The Monaco Grand Prix 2014

Morning All

As above me and some mates have decided we are going to Monaco next year, been on about it for years and we dont do it soon we never will.

So anyone been before?, whats the best way to do it on a reasonable budget?. Dont mind paying for decent race tickets but accommadation is rediculous in monaco. Most of us have been on road trips around that area so were thinking of staying in Nice and getting the train in or maybe staying in San Remo Italy and doing the same.

Does this sound like a viable idea?. Dont really want to drive all the way into Monaco as it will be rammed, done it during the summer and queues are horrific to get in so can imagine race day being crazy.

Not sure if we are going to make a road trip out of it or just fly in yet.
Old 18 March 2013, 10:48 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

My top tip.. is to take some bikes and ride along the coast past Eze and Mala into Monaco.

Head for the football stadium and lock your bike up there and walk it in (about 20 mins walk from there).

Getting in by car is very difficult.
Old 18 March 2013, 10:54 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Good plan, would make a nice day out too. How long does it take to ride it?
Old 18 March 2013, 11:19 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

30 - 40 mins ish taking it easy from the middle of Nice to Monaco stadium. Its like 10 miles tops.

Avoid anything other than the coast road though mate as its mega hilly... LOL.

You will follow the train line most of the way.
Old 18 March 2013, 11:36 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

cheers, certainly bear that in mind. I would be up for that if the others are too.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:46 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you live near Stansted then there are also day return services that run out at around £800 ish ppn.

Good luck!
Old 18 March 2013, 03:34 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

cheers, probably not the cheapest grand prix to go to but really excited about it.

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2013, 06:46 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I've been to the Monaco GP 5 times so anything you want to know just ask.

As for cycling it will take best part of an hour or more on the coast road but I would not attempt it as it is narrow in parts with a few tunnels and some drivers don't give a toss for cyclists there.

From Nice either catch the train into Monaco or hire a car and drive in. Driving in is very quick and simple and there is loads of parking under the stadium or at the Carrefour store in Monaco. Parking is £20 for the day. Go for hospitality on the Thurs on the pit straight which will cost around £70 for seats just yards from the cars with lunch drinks etc thrown in. Buy your tix direct from ACM.MC which is the officisl site. Seats usually on sale late in the year. Some seats in Monaco are crap so just ask if you want to know where is best.

Food and drink is cheap during the race period with loads of places selling bageuttes etc for a few quid. Go into Monaco on the Fri or Sat night as the place is just one big party. Drink at Rascasse or any of the other bars on the harbour.

I could go on and on but just ask if you want to know anything.

Chip
Old 18 March 2013, 06:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Oh, and fly with Sleazyjet from Bristol.
Old 18 March 2013, 11:09 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Why wait till next year? you've got a few months to organise your sh&t for this years race
Old 19 March 2013, 12:55 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

As above
Stay in nice ( walk the city )
Train to Monaco
Plan ahead with a good map of streets & circuit so you can make the best of your viewing point ( unless your in a grandstand )
I personally think the marina is the bomb
Old 19 March 2013, 10:13 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

An hour... its only 20k's....
There is only one really bad tunnel and there is the old coast road which you can take to ride round... just sayin....

And I was going to suggest a nice cycle from Nice to Saint-Tropez at about 120km but I think I will keep my mouth shut now LOL..

As for parking, IME, you are still going to end up 20 mins walk from the track area TBH - you cant get any closer. Mind you Silverstone last year was worse and thats in the countryside with big roads all around it...

Your best bet is the train, as said - but expect a crowd. The train gets you to within 2 mins of the track. I would just get in early, find somewhere to have some breakfast and then chill for a couple of hours. The support races tend to be good fun to watch at Monaco too. Depends on the weather too...

If you have some spare time there is plenty to see and do in the area.
Old 19 March 2013, 02:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We stopped in an apartment in Villenueve - Loubet which is right on the main railway line. And if you can work out the automated ticket machines and need to flag the train down, its about 30min train ride from Monaco depending on how long you sit around Nice waiting.

Can't remember the name of apartments, but they were between the main road and the sea, nice rooms but can't recommend it unless your a heavy sleeper as its right by the railway line, and their trains don't halve shift
Old 19 March 2013, 04:49 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Dave,

I've been to the Monaco GP 5 times so anything you want to know just ask.

As for cycling it will take best part of an hour or more on the coast road but I would not attempt it as it is narrow in parts with a few tunnels and some drivers don't give a toss for cyclists there.

From Nice either catch the train into Monaco or hire a car and drive in. Driving in is very quick and simple and there is loads of parking under the stadium or at the Carrefour store in Monaco. Parking is £20 for the day. Go for hospitality on the Thurs on the pit straight which will cost around £70 for seats just yards from the cars with lunch drinks etc thrown in. Buy your tix direct from ACM.MC which is the officisl site. Seats usually on sale late in the year. Some seats in Monaco are crap so just ask if you want to know where is best.

Food and drink is cheap during the race period with loads of places selling bageuttes etc for a few quid. Go into Monaco on the Fri or Sat night as the place is just one big party. Drink at Rascasse or any of the other bars on the harbour.

I could go on and on but just ask if you want to know anything.

Chip
Cheers Chip, i will no doubt drop you a pm soon. Will have a chat with the rest of the lads and check that ticket site out.

Good call about the thursday practice too, would be good to get some top seats.
Old 19 March 2013, 07:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Dave,

No problem, I can give you some tips on where to stay as well.

Billy,

It takes best part of 30 mins in the car from Nice to Monaco unless of course you know a short cut
Old 27 June 2013, 05:00 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Chip, we are just waiting to hear back about when the tickets are on sale but will no doubt be in touch soon if that is still ok about where to stay etc.
Old 27 June 2013, 05:47 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Tix normally go on sale Sept time, I would only buy direct from the a acm via their website as well