Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Disciplinary action over supposed racial connotation

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2013, 11:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disciplinary action over supposed racial connotation

Someone close to me is facing disciplinary action at their school after addressing pupils over poor behaviour and stating that, "they acted like animals". The pupils are 99% Asian Muslims and the person in question is being accused of likening them to animals because of their ethnicity.

I personally do not see the link. It is perfectly clear that the simile was describing the way they had behaved and had nothing to do with skin colour.

I know there are a few people on here who are pretty clued up with matters such as these and any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Can someone really be held to account for a senior staff members interpretation of something said?
Old 17 March 2013, 11:32 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Just the race card being thrown as a means to get rid of said person I would say.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Well at least it wasnt dinner time and he said they '' all ate like pigs" then the **** would have really hit the fan
Old 17 March 2013, 11:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how an earth is calling someone an animal racist???
the do gooders that accused him of racism are the ones that deserve a disiplinary
Old 17 March 2013, 11:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Just the race card being thrown as a means to get rid of said person I would say.
That was the first thing which sprang to mind. If that doesn't work, expect a sexual harassment complaint to follow. It's always complaints based on how someone perceives something and not what was meant by it, and they never make the person they complain about it aware of it.

If I was a teacher there, I'd change my name by deed-poll.

I'd change it to Mr Bacon.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:41 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought. They are the ones insinuating that there is a link between the pupils ethnicity and the description 'animals'. I am very unhappy about what is going on because I can see the effect that its having. I know that the person concerned isnt one to rock the boat but I would be inclined to go after those doing the accusing as it is becoming public knowledge.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:49 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Thats what I thought. They are the ones insinuating that there is a link between the pupils ethnicity and the description 'animals'.
Probably get rid of said teacher and get one of their own in maybe?
Old 17 March 2013, 11:52 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought. They are the ones insinuating that there is a link between the pupils ethnicity and the description 'animals'. I am very unhappy about what is going on because I can see the effect that its having. I know that the person concerned isnt one to rock the boat but I would be inclined to go after those doing the accusing as it is becoming public knowledge.
When I worked as a police constable, I saw loads of disciplinary's for various different matters.

The one that really stuck in my mind was that my partner could say anything to the females on the shift - **** are too small, **** is too big etc, but one of the lads (Lee) who they thought was a bit 'odd' as he believes in aliens, had all-sorts thrown at him.

I remember that one of the receptionists who was well in the pocket of the Inspectors (and above) made a sexual harassment complaint against him. The shift of response officers were 99% behind him - only one wasn't (funny enough she was sleeping with an Inspector), but he couldn't shake it.

They chucked all sorts at him to get him to quit, in the end, he ended up getting arrested and sent down. I still think he was framed.

I'd expect a union rep to have a templated letter they can tailor to send back stating that the complainant didn't express any dissatisfaction at the time and that the person was not aware of anyone feeling that way. From what I remember, the person who has been complained about can also request an investigation against the person who made the complaint.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:53 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The members of SLT who are accusing are of the same ethnicity. They are very young and inexperienced though - we're talking about months in their current position.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:57 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Tell your acquaintance to speak to their Union for advice.

As far as I am aware (and I can only tell you how it was in the police and in the licenced trade) if anyone receives a complaint against them, they can not only contest it, but have the person who complained investigated with the same disciplinary results applicable to them.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:58 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

The pupils are 99% Asian Muslims
Take it he / she is working in pakistan or something?
Old 17 March 2013, 11:59 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
When I worked as a police constable, I saw loads of disciplinary's for various different matters.

The one that really stuck in my mind was that my partner could say anything to the females on the shift - **** are too small, **** is too big etc, but one of the lads (Lee) who they thought was a bit 'odd' as he believes in aliens, had all-sorts thrown at him.

I remember that one of the receptionists who was well in the pocket of the Inspectors (and above) made a sexual harassment complaint against him. The shift of response officers were 99% behind him - only one wasn't (funny enough she was sleeping with an Inspector), but he couldn't shake it.

They chucked all sorts at him to get him to quit, in the end, he ended up getting arrested and sent down. I still think he was framed.
That is a sad story. What made you leave?
Old 17 March 2013, 11:59 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moz_Rb5
Bradford.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:00 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

nearly, im guessing bradford
Old 18 March 2013, 12:01 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Bradford.

Old 18 March 2013, 12:02 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Lol.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:03 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

you can consider this racist if you please but bradford should be removed from the face of the earth as its just full of scumbags.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:04 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

That is a sad story. What made you leave?
The list would be huge - I hated the people I had to deal with. I didn't trust the senior officers. I felt the force was incompetent. The CPS made the job impossible. And much more....

But the main thing was that they also offered a good compensation package when they needed to cut 200 jobs

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 18 March 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:05 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

This is why in my eyes (generally) multiculturalism will never work, if it was a white teacher with all white pupils no problem and the same the other way, asian teacher with all asian pupils no problem.

The home countries don't particularly get on and they are all white, mainly christian or non religious and have been together for 1000's of years.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:06 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

This is why in my eyes (generally) multiculturalism will never work, if it was a white teacher with all white pupils no problem and the same the other way, asian teacher with all asian pupils no problem.

The home countries don't particularly get on and they are all white, mainly christian or non religious and have been together for 1000's of years.

but how is calling someone an animal racist, im stiil lost on this one.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:11 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
It's all about how someone perceives it. As a police officer, I could arrest someone if they said something that I thought could offend someone. It may not, or could not, but if I think it may have done, than that would be enough to warrant arrest. In my personal opinion, it's all the bleeding-heart artists and touchy feely politically-correct nonsense that has created this. If you have a problem with someone, you report something based on a perception, rather than an offense. That way, you don't need to prove what they meant by it, just how you feel about it.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:13 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The comments made likened the pupils actions to that of animals, rather than calling them animals directly, which I think has even less to do with race. It is not as though it is an open comment that could be misinterpreted, it was a comment clearly linking their actions to that of animals.

I dont think a satisfactory answer has been given to be honest. I will probably find out more tomorrow and will update appropriately.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:15 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

It's all about how someone perceives it. As a police officer, I could arrest someone if they said something that I thought could offend someone. It may not, or could not, but if I think it may have done, than that would be enough to warrant arrest. In my personal opinion, it's all the bleeding-heart artists and touchy feely politically-correct nonsense that has created this. If you have a problem with someone, you report something based on a perception, rather than an offense. That way, you don't need to prove what they meant by it, just how you feel about it.
What would be your interpretation on this then? Would it warrant an arrest?
Old 18 March 2013, 12:15 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

but he said you are acting like animals, not you are animals....

seriously if this can cause a disiplinary the country is fcked
Old 18 March 2013, 12:16 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Thats just it mate it's f*cking not!

Wouldn't surprise me if it was some white, middle aged, supposedly middle class, vegetarian, save the trees, prius driving, carbon footprint aware, politically correct mother nature loving, two bit c*nt that put the complaint in as well.

Last edited by Moz_Rb5; 18 March 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:18 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Thats just it mate it's f*cking not!

Wouldn't surprise me if it was some white, middle aged, supposedly middle class, vegetarian, save the trees, prius driving, carbon footprint aware, politically correct mother nature loving, two bit c*nt that put the complaint in as well.

im betting the complainee is of ethnic origin.

neither statement is racist to me, acting like an animal or you are an animal.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:20 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The comments made likened the pupils actions to that of animals, rather than calling them animals directly, which I think has even less to do with race. It is not as though it is an open comment that could be misinterpreted, it was a comment clearly linking their actions to that of animals.

I dont think a satisfactory answer has been given to be honest. I will probably find out more tomorrow and will update appropriately.
Wish your acquaintance the best of luck. I can imagine various scenarios, such as children forcing food in to their mouths which could be likened to "eating like pigs", or children farting and burping which many people would say is animalistic behaviour.

I hope your acquaintance gets some good advice, rather than that of us non-experts on here.

I'd go with a response of something along the lines of no offense was intended and they were not aware of the feelings of the offended party, and then put it to bed.

Or get revenge
Old 18 March 2013, 12:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Seems like the complainant has such a poor grasp of English language that they don't understand the concept of similies.

Or is pointing that out that racist too?
Old 18 March 2013, 12:22 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a metaphor then.....union rep should be able to sort it, hopefully

Shaun
Old 18 March 2013, 12:22 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Wish your acquaintance the best of luck. I can imagine various scenarios, such as children forcing food in to their mouths which could be likened to "eating like pigs", or children farting and burping which many people would say is animalistic behaviour.

I hope your acquaintance gets some good advice, rather than that of us non-experts on here.

I'd go with a response of something along the lines of no offense was intended and they were not aware of the feelings of the offended party, and then put it to bed.

Or get revenge

but maybe some of us arent non experts, i work for a well known trade union, not in the teaching sector though

Quick Reply: Disciplinary action over supposed racial connotation