EU Stealing Your Savings

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2013, 10:10 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU Stealing Your Savings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21814325

So to Scoobynetters with money abroad, will you be waiting outside the bank door for when they open?
Old 16 March 2013, 11:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kinell

Last edited by dpb; 17 March 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 16 March 2013, 11:55 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Is that even legal, basically that's theft right?
Old 17 March 2013, 12:00 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

they get the same value in shares of the bank so it says. Does seem wrong though.
Old 17 March 2013, 12:07 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank God I have no savings...... wonder what they would do with my £15K overdraft?

Shaun
Old 17 March 2013, 12:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

In a bankrupt bank!

Last edited by dpb; 17 March 2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Shares in
Old 17 March 2013, 12:12 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

This must be a nightmare, I dropped off halfway through the rugby
Old 17 March 2013, 12:26 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Shamelessly stolen from another forum, but this blog from the head of Saxobank makes for good reading.

http://www.tradingfloor.com/posts/cy...ger-1728597128
Old 17 March 2013, 08:18 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Moving to dubai.. How they work with no taxes is beyond me but it wounds good.
Old 17 March 2013, 10:23 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

EU is pushing for it, but Cyprus government voted against it today, so nothing is official yet
Old 17 March 2013, 11:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Maybe Telboy can comment on this, but isn't doing something like this likely to seriously further undermine any confidence that there is left for anyone to invest in the Eurozone? If they can do it to Cyrpus they can do it anywhere. It is unprecedented!

This seems to me like a really stupid thing to do for the bigger longer term picture, but maybe I just don't get it.
Old 17 March 2013, 12:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

See, what I'm not understanding here, is that the banking problem hit in 2008/9?

And yet these are asking for a bailout YEARS later?

So what's the game there?

If they knew about problems, how come they continued to rack them up?

This looks more like fraud to me...."Hey, look guys, free money, let's have some...."
Old 17 March 2013, 12:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The EU says there will not be a run on the banks in Spain, Italy or Portugal.

I therefore predict a run on the banks in Spain, Italy or Portugal and probably Beppe Grillo calling for a return to the Lira.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:58 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

This is unbelievable, its a backwards way of the EU getting hold of some Russian money but for Cyprus this is a disaster, the cash in their banks will evaporate overnight. There is billions or euros worth of foreign money in Bank of Cyrpus and all of it will be leaving Tuesday morning. Switzerland is about to have a gold rush. I know the EU is pissed at Cyprus for letting money laundering happen in its banks but they just f*cked the country IMO.
Potentially they just harmed the banks in every struggling EU economy as well.
Old 17 March 2013, 02:21 PM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

Am guessing by the comments everyone just wants the EU to give cyprus billions to bail them out for free? lol
Old 17 March 2013, 03:17 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Camsedin
Am guessing by the comments everyone just wants the EU to give cyprus billions to bail them out for free? lol
Having thought a bit more you are probably right the EU has handled this crap though, either way there will now be a run on the bank. By my understanding if the Cypriot parliament votes no on Monday the bank of Cyprus is bankrupt as they need the bailout cash, they do not get it unless they vote yes and swallow the 10%. I am really not sure though how they will cope with a run on the bank 2 billion euros form the UK and 20 billion euros from Russia will be heading out of the bank of Cyprus Tuesday morning unless the sheer volume of traffic makes the system grind to a halt. Two close friends of mine have all their companies money in Bank of Cyprus as and the first they knew about this was when I phoned them and told them. I don't really have the heart to mention to them that there is a chance something bad will happen and they are verging on bankruptcy come Tuesday morning.
I cannot help but think that there must have been a better way to manage the situation. I wonder if there is a contingency plan in place to deal with the inevitable run on the bank on Tuesday.
Old 17 March 2013, 03:24 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Maybe Telboy can comment on this, but isn't doing something like this likely to seriously further undermine any confidence that there is left for anyone to invest in the Eurozone? If they can do it to Cyrpus they can do it anywhere. It is unprecedented!

This seems to me like a really stupid thing to do for the bigger longer term picture, but maybe I just don't get it.
If it happens it will certainly create serious uncertainty in all Eurozone tinpot country's financial sectors but is unlikely to have any major impact on the Eurozone as a whole as this type of scenario will likely never be muted (let alone happen) in any of the larger economies as the implications would then be massive. Just the talk has likely trashed the Cypriot economy, so perhaps now the results are an interesting 'test' only.
Old 17 March 2013, 03:25 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

The Cypriot economy makes up only about 0.2% of the Eurozone.
Old 17 March 2013, 03:42 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised it's taken this long for Cyprus to be in such a mess.

Spent many holidays/ work out there - is a massive cash economy, and little taxes being paid.

7 years ago we very nearly bought a plot of land at high cost, to build on in the future.
Thank **** I decided to buy a depreciating car instead
Old 17 March 2013, 05:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If our weak as water self seeking politicians ever succeed in making this country a part of an EU federation, we can look forward to far worse as well as a totalitarian government! Democracy?...whats that then?

Les
Old 17 March 2013, 06:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If our weak as water self seeking politicians ever succeed in making this country a part of an EU federation, we can look forward to far worse as well as a totalitarian government! Democracy?...whats that then?

Les
How will it be different, Les? The € is ready to collapse and the £ is at it's lowest rate AGAINST the € for five years!

So where does that leave the £?
Old 17 March 2013, 06:54 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

There is also Option 2 - Cyprus votes to leave the Euro/EU.

Originally Posted by Mats Perrson, Open Europe
deposits under €100,000 are supposed to be protected by EU law, not raided by EU leaders. And Cypriot banks have frozen close to €5.8bn, i.e. imposed capital controls which is meant to be illegal under EU single market rules. This is political dynamite.

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 17 March 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 17 March 2013, 07:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

who#s gonna enforce the rules? The EU?

It's a joke.

These and the Spanish are nicking money.
Old 17 March 2013, 08:01 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
who#s gonna enforce the rules? The EU?

It's a joke.

These and the Spanish are nicking money.
I don't follow your logic there. It's not Cyrpus and Spain nicking money, it was seventeen Eurozone finance ministers who had locked themselves in a room and decided that every Cypriot depositor will see part of their money seized.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...ical-dynamite/
Old 17 March 2013, 08:08 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
The Cypriot economy makes up only about 0.2% of the Eurozone.
Not really the issue , the banks in Cyprus have cash from all over the world, estimated 20 billion from Russia, 3 billion from the UK. At one time Cyprus banks allegedly had 175 billion in assets, ten times the size of the Cypriot economy.(figure from here no idea how to check its acccuracy http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...-deposits.html) When the banks open the door on Tuesday there will be a run as people try to transfer huge sums of money away from Cyprus, I cannot imagine forcing a bank to liquidize anywhere from 10 to 175 billion in assets to pay depositors, will not have a knock on effect. The mistrust created in EU banks may have an even bigger effect.
Old 17 March 2013, 08:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
When the banks open the door on Tuesday there will be a run as people try to transfer huge sums of money away from Cyprus, I cannot imagine forcing a bank to liquidize anywhere from 10 to 175 billion in assets to pay depositors, will not have a knock on effect. The mistrust created in EU banks may have an even bigger effect.
That is exactly what I'm expecting, but not just in Cyprus. Why would anyone with deposits in Italy, Spain or Portugal not think "If they can do it to Cyprus, why won't they do it to us?".

I'm wondering if it's something that the EU finance ministers didn't take in to account - and if they didn't see this possibility, they are truly more incompetent than anyone had ever thought them (bar Alcazar), or if they didn't want Cyprus to accept the deal. Something doesn't add up. Do they Eurozone finance ministers want to get rid of Cyprus? Surely if one country leaves, more will follow...
Old 17 March 2013, 08:24 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How will it be different, Les? The € is ready to collapse and the £ is at it's lowest rate AGAINST the € for five years!

So where does that leave the £?
Says who, apart from you?
The Euro is nowhere near collapsing and never has been.

Cyprus apparently has debts equal to its GDP and this 10% skim on savings is a requirement to get a bailout offer from the fund.
Old 17 March 2013, 08:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Totalitarian government,not sure if you are live in Totalitarian Government before,but I've live before and comparing those two things is incomparable in many ways

Democracy,you have and many EU states have Democracy(in some cases is some sort of the dictatorship with censorship like is in the Belarus)

About the EU taking on the Cyprus savers,this should work here too on the few multi-million companies,which don't pay for taxes etc.

Jura
Old 17 March 2013, 08:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

But this is everyman in the street, say 10k savings - you can have 675 worth of shares or

Nothing
Old 17 March 2013, 09:20 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

I find it funny when people ask questions like - "do they not understand" bla bla bla.
Yes, people who run countries and manage world economies do not understand what everyone else do..

Quick Reply: EU Stealing Your Savings