Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wood Nail through foot -advice required please.

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2013, 10:20 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wood Nail through foot -advice required please.

Hey guy n gals.

On Friday I was splitting some wood for the stove when I stood on what looked like clean lengths of 2"x3", and a protruding nail went through the sole of my footwear and into my foot (big toe pad area), I stamped the wood off with my other foot to free myself, but my only concern is do I need a tetanus etc? I had one last July for a Dom Rep holiday.

The nail is around 2.5" protruding so I guess it went in around 1" or so, and appeared clean ish, ie not heavily rusted.

Opinions please.

Thanks
Rob
Old 10 March 2013, 10:24 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had one last July I'd say you'll be fine mate

Able to move everything still?
Old 10 March 2013, 10:25 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wouldn't A&E be a better place to check really ?
Old 10 March 2013, 10:36 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stepped on a nail a few months ago and made a thread on here. I went to A&E just to be safe and it was the biggest waste of 4 hours of my life.

They don't even administer the tetanus jab at A&E anymore. Plus, if you've had the jab and top-up jab before, you'll be fine regardless anyway. Mine fully healed in about 2 weeks, but within that time it hurt like hell to walk on.
Old 10 March 2013, 10:36 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've done that as well, fooking sore isn't it...
Old 10 March 2013, 11:38 AM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Go to your docs / A&E

My sister in laws brother had a boil on his **** six months ago, he scratched it, it went and that was that, it came back a few times but thought nothing of it. Went to the doc's 3 weeks ago complaining of pins and needles in his hands and feet was rushed to hospital from there were he was put into a drug induced coma where he's stayed until this present day.

In the mean time he's (without his knowledge) had both his legs amputated from half way up his thighs, kidney failure, a colostomy bag fitted and might not ever recover, they tried bringing him out of the coma but he wasn't responding, all this happening as his wife and 3 young kids look on.

And what caused all this? an infection because he's a mechanic who got bacteria in a open wound and into his blood stream.

Your choice but I know I'll be alot more careful from now on (He's only 38 too so not some old duffer).

Last edited by Moz_Rb5; 10 March 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10 March 2013, 11:53 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

And Don't Use Tcp, A Mate Ended Up Losing a Toe, Plus Several Weeks In HospitaL
Old 10 March 2013, 12:21 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

At least go and see your GP Rob. A & E can be a real timewaster, but your Doc should be able to give you good advice or treatment if required.

Originally Posted by Moz_Rb5
Go to your docs / A&E

My sister in laws brother had a boil on his **** six months ago, he scratched it, it went and that was that, it came back a few times but thought nothing of it. Went to the doc's 3 weeks ago complaining of pins and needles in his hands and feet was rushed to hospital from there were he was put into a drug induced coma where he's stayed until this present day.

In the mean time he's (without his knowledge) had both his legs amputated from half way up his thighs, kidney failure, a colostomy bag fitted and might not ever recover, they tried bringing him out of the coma but he wasn't responding, all this happening as his wife and 3 young kids look on.

And what caused all this? an infection because he's a mechanic who got bacteria in a open wound and into his blood stream.

Your choice but I know I'll be alot more careful from now on (He's only 38 too so not some old duffer).
Man that's an awful story.
Old 10 March 2013, 12:28 PM
Moz_Rb5
Scooby Regular

Terrible isn't it, not sure if he's got brain damage too now, his youngest is only 7 months old. Really nice bloke a proper gentle giant (6ft 9") that family has had no luck.

My sister in law lost her other sister and brother in a car accident about 5 years ago(polish driver on the wrong side of road as they were going to work together) 6 months later the mother died of a heart attack (probably broken hearted) the father is still being treated for leukaemia that he's had for 12 months and been told he's got 10 months to live and now this.

Just incredible really for all that to happen to one family in just a few years.
Old 10 March 2013, 12:32 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone, a visit to local surgery needed then. I'll go tomorrow to get it checked out.

I can't really put weight on "that" area, but the pain has subsided quite a lot. Last night was a good sleep whereas Friday night not so good. There isn't anything to look at in terms of wound and swelling, or even brushing for that matter, but yes fecking hell it hurt lol. The initial point of injury wasn't all that painful, in fact I kept on cutting the wood up afterwards, it wasn't until I came back in the house and took my footwear off where the pain kicked in leaking blood rapidly, the mrs looked quite faint LOL. I salt warm watered my foot and elevated it, and here we are now.

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I'll be definitely getting it checked out tomorrow.

Rob

Ps oh and did I forget to say its hard to press the clutch in yesterday, but managed to shift gears without the clutch in the wife's car
Old 10 March 2013, 12:40 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Mate that is so sad, what an absolute traumatic time that family must be having, makes you stop and think, really it does! I only hope they have a bit of positive news, if you can even call it that that's truly bad

OP I've done it and it bled like hell and did not want to stop which is why I went to a&e, turns out as mentioned I got told to go to my doctors if I hadn't had a jab (which I had) and the bleeding would stop so not to panic, put a sort of bandage on and sent me packing, if you have had the jab and it ain't bleeding excessively, then I can't see them doing alot tbh I wouldn't waste your time with a&e if you do feel you should go, just go to your GP would be my advice
Old 10 March 2013, 12:51 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

That's awful,i dare say most of us have cut a finger or something at work etc,and thought nothing of it.
Old 10 March 2013, 02:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why not ask your doctor. He is getting paid pretty well to take care of such things.

Les
Old 10 March 2013, 02:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

As above Rob, get it checked it out asap mate. It's the innocuous things like this that can be our downfall.
Old 10 March 2013, 03:35 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Get it checked I've been off work for newly 2 weeks with a toe that developed into
A series foot infection twice to A&E 3 doctors and now a consultant this
Week to decide what to do
All over a spelk of wood in my toe
Old 10 March 2013, 03:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tetanus injection minimum from the docs, worth the visit as septicemia isnt very nice
Old 10 March 2013, 03:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray T
And Don't Use Tcp, A Mate Ended Up Losing a Toe, Plus Several Weeks In HospitaL
Why not? i use it all the time and think it's great stuff, stinks a bit but does the job.
Old 10 March 2013, 04:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Just been out to look at what I stood on, bloody rife with nails (eek).

I suspect it was this one going by where I was stood.

I'll get it checked out at GP's tomorrow.

Moz that story is so tragic, I hope he comes round soon to enjoy the rest of his life (adapted life) ;(

Rob