Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should the long term unemployed be capped on government funding for more children?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2013, 12:32 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the long term unemployed be capped on government funding for more children?

What I mean is why is the tax payer expected to fund planned children in families where no one works?

I know of families never worked a day in their lives but think it a good idea to get pregnant again and again!!

Surely common sense must apply and someone somewhere must say hang about this child will be born into poverty the mother/breader not being able to fund herself let alone more children!

Will a line ever be drawn? why do we allow this?
Old 19 February 2013, 12:45 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I'm with you 100%, infact I'm all for sterilisation(sp) or something similar.

If they can't feed them they shoulden't breed them.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

How do you stop it?

And in a manner we can all stomach. Forced sterilisation is not going to happen. Capping benefits won't stop them as they'll just go to the press so rather than the masses getting uptight about them getting big houses the masses get uptight because the government isn't providing for these children in poverty. And who says these children won't make something of themselves? Who gets to decide who receives benefit and who doesn't?

I think by and large the status quo is about right. You get the odd blip like this but there really is no alternative that I can see.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

pretty easy to stop

they get benefits for first and second child, after that, no more.
Old 19 February 2013, 12:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll almost guarantee people will look back in 30 years with wonder at how Mr Bevans plan was so willfully abused and for so long
Old 19 February 2013, 12:58 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

To stop people having children because they 'can't afford them' is all a little bit fascist for me.

Maybe everyone should be sterilised at birth and then apply for a license to have a child. Then, if they earn enough money the government could reverse the sterilisation and allow you to have children.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Then again

Trending Topics

Old 19 February 2013, 01:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by leeds_182
To stop people having children because they 'can't afford them' is all a little bit fascist for me.

Maybe everyone should be sterilised at birth and then apply for a license to have a child. Then, if they earn enough money the government could reverse the sterilisation and allow you to have children.
ouch extreme dont you think?

limiting payout will stop it, why should i fund someone elses whim to have children?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:11 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

So you'd have children if you couldn't afford them?

it's basic maths if you do not earn you cannot afford children, why expect the state to pay?

Last edited by specialx; 19 February 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:13 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by EddScott
How do you stop it?

And in a manner we can all stomach. Forced sterilisation is not going to happen. Capping benefits won't stop them as they'll just go to the press so rather than the masses getting uptight about them getting big houses the masses get uptight because the government isn't providing for these children in poverty. And who says these children won't make something of themselves? Who gets to decide who receives benefit and who doesn't?

I think by and large the status quo is about right. You get the odd blip like this but there really is no alternative that I can see.
That's an easy one, how about the people actually paying for it
Old 19 February 2013, 01:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Why stop at the long term unemployed?

Just limit benefits to the first two children for all families.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:21 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Why stop at the long term unemployed

Because they don't pay NI etc
Old 19 February 2013, 01:23 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Who's funding children is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things IMO, the bigger question is when will the human race wake up and smell the coffee that we can't go on reproducing as we are and expect the planet to support us. I've got two kids and think it would be immoral to have any more.
Problem is even if a politician had the ***** to raise the issue and start proposing that people can’t have more than two kids, it wouldn’t make any difference as you need buy in from the whole world and that’s going to be one tough nut to crack.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
So you'd have children if you couldn't afford them?

it's basic maths if you do not earn you cannot afford children, why expect the state to pay?
Although I completely agree, if you actually sat down and worked out how much a child is going to cost you, nobody would ever have kids!
Old 19 February 2013, 01:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Because they don't pay NI etc
So if someone works only 16 hours part-time at minimum wage, and has 10 kids, it would be ok to pay for all of them just because the parent paid NI?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:34 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Although I completely agree, if you actually sat down and worked out how much a child is going to cost you, nobody would ever have kids!
I know but having a job would be a big help with the decision.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:35 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
So if someone works only 16 hours part-time at minimum wage, and has 10 kids, it would be ok to pay for all of them just because the parent paid NI?

No not at all, again back to the original post when is too many kids too many?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:56 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

So the proposed solution to a relatively minor problem, (in that it is a small percentage of the welfare budget) is to reduce, or cut benefits after the second child, and therefore punish all the children in that family if the parents have another child and are unemployed.

Not for me thanks. It's not the childs fault. Can't support a willfull move on the part of the state to put a child in poverty.

And let's not even go down the road of enforced sterilisation/abortion/adoption

Like Ed said, it's not a huge issue and a very difficult one to come up with any sort of sensible alternative to the status quo.
Old 19 February 2013, 02:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Throw some figures up Peter
Old 19 February 2013, 02:03 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Obviously you can see the frustration for the hard working tax paying parent, work hard get nothing, apposed to do nothing make but ignorant decisions and get paid for it.
Old 19 February 2013, 02:05 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

OMFG!!

Seriously
Old 19 February 2013, 02:06 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Why should people that work pay for people that don't to have more children that wont?
Old 19 February 2013, 02:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I presume people are encouraged to have more children in order to increase their allowances. I have to admit that I don't know what the allowance regulations are as far as further children in a family are concerned.

Just like my parents did and we did too, we only had the number of children that we could afford to bring up properly and in a way that they would not lack for their normal requirements out of life.

The allowances situation certainly should not be such that people are encouraged to have more children than they can afford to bring up in their financial situation.

Les
Old 19 February 2013, 03:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What about a sliding scale whereby the first two, or maybe three, kids qualify for full benefit but it then reduces per child and reaches zero by say the 5th child?

And whilst it is easy to label all unemployed as layabout scum there really are people out there who would die for a job. Life is miserable for them and I wouldn't like to make it a lot worse.

dl
Old 19 February 2013, 03:19 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Councils should only provide houses with a maximum of 3 bedrooms for those that require housing. Don't expect to move into a bigger house should you have too many kids. If their council house has become too small for their brood of kids, tough, the responsibility should be shouldered by the people churning these kids out and not to the council to hand out bigger houses. Perhaps increaslingly cramped living conditions may quell their desire to pop more kids out rather than have mansions built for them with taxpayers money.
Old 19 February 2013, 03:27 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jonc
Councils should only provide houses with a maximum of 3 bedrooms for those that require housing. Don't expect to move into a bigger house should you have too many kids. If their council house has become too small for their brood of kids, tough, the responsibility should be shouldered by the people churning these kids out and not to the council to hand out bigger houses. Perhaps increaslingly cramped living conditions may quell their desire to pop more kids out rather than have mansions built for them with taxpayers money.

As above when do the parents stop and think hang on we can't afford this so lets not!
Old 19 February 2013, 03:45 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

As above when do the parents stop and think hang on we can't afford this so lets not!
Well perhaps for these parents affordability of kids will never come into it, but hopefully the prospect of living in cramped conditions might stop them having more, to the point they don't get to sleep in their own beds.

Either that or have a fixed amount for child benefit based on a 3 kids to live comfortably, ie the same amount of benefit whether you have 1 child or 6 children. You either choose to make the most of your benefit by having 3 or less children, otherwise you stretch the benefit if you decide to have 3 or more kids.
Old 19 February 2013, 03:50 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know how many families we are talking about here?
Old 19 February 2013, 03:59 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Again, why do people think its ok to make children suffer for the faults of their parents?]
Old 19 February 2013, 04:31 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Does anyone know how many families we are talking about here?
Google it.

Quick Reply: Should the long term unemployed be capped on government funding for more children?