Burglar alarm advise.

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2013, 09:44 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burglar alarm advise.

Hi Guys,

I seem to remember there are a fer security peeps on here.

Our company has recently taken over a new premiss which is located on the same industrial estate as our existing building.

The new warehouse will hold low value (relatively) big bulky heavy items which aren't nick-able, and are easily traceable as they are our own brand.

Our existing building has a wired alarm into a guardtec box with Redcare.

The new building is 20 meters away - but unfortunately it is not possible to run a cable to it.

Ideally I'd like to connect the new building to our existing security system.

I've had a quote for a fully wireless setup - but I think there may be issues with signal.

Is there a device which can reside in the new build which has locally wired detectors which talks wirelessly to our existing system.?
Old 13 February 2013, 11:39 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

When I was an alarm engineer years ago I had to setup a show house alarm and connect it to the redcare system in the sales office, I installed a control panel and detectors in the show house and butchered a Radio PAB (Personal attack button) and connected it to the bell output of the control panel so that if the alarm was tripped it triggered the radio PA transmitter which was received by the PA receiver in the sales offce and tripped the alarm aswell which triggered Redcare. This was 15 odd years ago so I am sure there is something out there now that works along the same lines but slightly more professional.

When you wire up the receiver to the main control panel make sure you program it as normal intruder and not PA.

Last edited by Wurzel; 13 February 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 13 February 2013, 01:58 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You could do a bit of a hack / DIY. Not sure if any major company would put their name to it though. Dont forget if you get 3 confirmed alarms in 12 months, which are false positives then the cops will reduce you down to grade 2 response (i.e will get there when we can)..

If I was you, I would get your system in place and then trial it on a GSM dialer for a few months. If it does ok and no false alarms then you could consider moving it over onto the main comms.
Old 13 February 2013, 02:09 PM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of alarm systems can have a wireless gateway attached then use wireless devices. I use Texecom Ricochet as these use each sensor to network to each other and thus have a good range, this maybe sufficient for your needs. I was told most modern wireless alarms have a good range that is probably well within the distance from your current building. Obviously other stuff comes into play like interference and objects nearby etc.
Old 13 February 2013, 07:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

I'll see what the range survey comes out with.

J