Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

North Korea - What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2013, 10:47 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Korea - What is going on?

They are clearly poking a big stick at the western world whilst beating their chest.

I wouldn't be surprised to wake up, turn on the news to hear that the USA has suffered a nuclear attack.

Is it just me that thinks that Kim Jong-un is just a child who wants a go at playing war?

Old 12 February 2013, 11:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dearly hope not, for the sake the people - the Koreans that is
Old 12 February 2013, 11:00 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
They are clearly poking a big stick at the western world whilst beating their chest.

I wouldn't be surprised to wake up, turn on the news to hear that the USA has suffered a nuclear attack.

Is it just me that thinks that Kim Jong-un is just a child who wants a go at playing war?

I don't get all the fuss. We got some nice big bombs. So at least its a fair game now...
I don't care much for the US either, so... you know...
Old 12 February 2013, 11:04 AM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Think Kim has been watching too much Harry hill...
FFFFFIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTT!!!

Either that or just bored
Old 12 February 2013, 11:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
Think Kim has been watching too much Harry hill...
FFFFFIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTT!!!

Either that or just bored
You get that impression from him don't you.

I really believe that that man is the single biggest threat to world peace.
Who knows what else he has his scientists and engineers working on.
Old 12 February 2013, 11:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well let's leave aside the politics and just assume they are a threat to the West.

What are we going to do about it?

The UN will no doubt publish a stern statement which will distill down to 'You naughty man, please don't do it again' and impose more sanctions that have no effect on the leaders of NK so will be utterly ineffective. Remember if the people suffer because of the sanctions it's not like they can vote Kim Jong-un out at the next election is it?

The rest of the wrold will indulge in all manner of condemining rhetoric, but will back it up with no more than a hope they stop doing it and keep quiet mantra.

China will disapprove of their neighbour's actions but will not do anything about it... even though they are the one nation NK has to listen to.

The US is the only nation even remotely likely to take military action of any sort, but right now I don't think they have the stomach or the funds for any more conflict ... after all their recent efforts haven't been terribly successful!

So I guess time will tell whether NK are sabre rattling or this is something more sinister as I doubt anyone is about to stop them!

Last edited by f1_fan; 12 February 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12 February 2013, 11:19 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You can only use a bomb once.

The question is, do they have any more?

Trending Topics

Old 12 February 2013, 02:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The country's leaders will expect that their actions will strengthen their authority over the people.

Les
Old 12 February 2013, 03:17 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The country's leaders will expect that their actions will strengthen their authority over the people.

Les
This.
Old 12 February 2013, 03:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well they seem to have pissed of China big time which seems a pretty stupid foreign policy.

dl
Old 12 February 2013, 04:10 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

If China had the choice of siding with USA/UK or NK, who do you think they would go with?

As DL said above, China are not happy..
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...adb_story.html
Old 12 February 2013, 04:44 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It strikes me as a bit of *****-waving. Any of their 'enemies' have enough early warning systems and weaponry to retaliate to an attack before their first missile had even left their airspace - it'll always result in 'Mutually Assured Destruction' and they know it. As crazy as their culture and governance seems to us, I'm not sure they *are* actually crazy enough to launch a missile in anger.
Old 12 February 2013, 05:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21429544

So what are NK talking about with "Reckless hostility by the US"

What has the US been up to then?
Old 12 February 2013, 05:23 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21429544

So what are NK talking about with "Reckless hostility by the US"

What has the US been up to then?
From The Guardian site:

"The agency said the test had been in response to "outrageous" US hostility that "violently" undermined the regime's right to peacefully launch satellites – a reference to the condemnation and tighter sanctions that greeted Pyongyang's successful rocket launch almost two months ago."

So not just *****-waving, they're doing a bit of toddler style foot-stamping too.

Last edited by hill79; 12 February 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: lack of spelleng aboluty
Old 12 February 2013, 05:39 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought once,you drop a nuke that area is contaminated for the next 20yrs... So won't Korea run out of testing sites?
Old 12 February 2013, 05:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought once,you drop a nuke that area is contaminated for the next 20yrs... So won't Korea run out of testing sites?
They didn't drop it, they detonated it deep underground. The explosion effectively seals in any radioactive materials
Old 12 February 2013, 06:25 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well let's leave aside the politics and just assume they are a threat to the West.

What are we going to do about it?

The UN will no doubt publish a stern statement which will distill down to 'You naughty man, please don't do it again' and impose more sanctions that have no effect on the leaders of NK so will be utterly ineffective. Remember if the people suffer because of the sanctions it's not like they can vote Kim Jong-un out at the next election is it?

The rest of the wrold will indulge in all manner of condemining rhetoric, but will back it up with no more than a hope they stop doing it and keep quiet mantra.

China will disapprove of their neighbour's actions but will not do anything about it... even though they are the one nation NK has to listen to.

The US is the only nation even remotely likely to take military action of any sort, but right now I don't think they have the stomach or the funds for any more conflict ... after all their recent efforts haven't been terribly successful!

So I guess time will tell whether NK are sabre rattling or this is something more sinister as I doubt anyone is about to stop them!
I think that there is a use by date on all armaments so maybe they have a few that they need to lose
Old 12 February 2013, 06:31 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

they are still way way behind, the bomb they detonated is a 1/3 the size of the bombs dropped on hiroshima. didnt he say he wants to unite korea, i think that will be his plan of action, invading south korea. fat little *****
Old 12 February 2013, 06:32 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

The scarey thing is both of these countries wouldent think twice about pushing 'the button' The yanks have done it before, and I honestly believe the Koreans would do it given half a chance or the slightest excuse.
Old 12 February 2013, 06:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

This is what happens when the Cult of Personality is allowed to fester, like Stalin the Kim Jongs are celebrated and feted because they have a massive army to enforce it, nobody wants to say "actually you are a podgy little turd" as someone else will come to get them to avoid being got themselves, a big house of cards that will eventually come crashing down round their ears.

We may not like our goverment but David Cameron doesnt have massive pictures and statues of himself everywhere or insist on being called "Dear Leader", they dont glorify themselves and indulge every whim to the detriment of the population, well, not in comparison, they dont insist on every child singing songs about how wonderful they are and allude to paranormal powers, I think everyone knows he is just a fat shortarse whose **** you could kick, pathetic but brutal, egotistical, deluded and if you have several milliion people telling you how awesome you are, regardless of it being due to fear, it is always going to have an influence on your behaviour.

The world has seen it before, Gadafi, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Mao, Stalin, Saddam and most other dictators, it doesnt work, they are all to a many psychopathic narcissists, it usually takes a bloodbath to overthrow them, still happening in Syria, I think Hitler was a bit different, I dont think he was into the adulation and glorification, he just had a clear set of aims and was a charismatic and rousing speaker, there were elements but it isnt quite the same.

He is flexing his limited muscle, it isnt anythign we and a lot of other countries have not done and still do on occasion, so we need to recognise that just because we dotn trust or understand them that they dont have the right to do stuff, they are a threat but not a massive one to us, its South Korea that should be worried but I could imagine what they could start, if the US stick their beak in, they couldnt finish it, the minute anything agressive and nuclear happens against the US they would be wiped off the map, thankfully they are nowhere near that (we think/hope). In the meantime the citizens are starvign in places, how true it is I dont know but i have heard of Cannibalism due to hunger, whilst that little turd waves and indulges himself. It is like a religion that isnt optional.
Old 12 February 2013, 07:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
This is what happens when the Cult of Personality is allowed to fester, like Stalin the Kim Jongs are celebrated and feted because they have a massive army to enforce it, nobody wants to say "actually you are a podgy little turd" as someone else will come to get them to avoid being got themselves, a big house of cards that will eventually come crashing down round their ears.

We may not like our goverment but David Cameron doesnt have massive pictures and statues of himself everywhere or insist on being called "Dear Leader", they dont glorify themselves and indulge every whim to the detriment of the population, well, not in comparison, they dont insist on every child singing songs about how wonderful they are and allude to paranormal powers, I think everyone knows he is just a fat shortarse whose **** you could kick, pathetic but brutal, egotistical, deluded and if you have several milliion people telling you how awesome you are, regardless of it being due to fear, it is always going to have an influence on your behaviour.

The world has seen it before, Gadafi, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Mao, Stalin, Saddam and most other dictators, it doesnt work, they are all to a many psychopathic narcissists, it usually takes a bloodbath to overthrow them, still happening in Syria, I think Hitler was a bit different, I dont think he was into the adulation and glorification, he just had a clear set of aims and was a charismatic and rousing speaker, there were elements but it isnt quite the same.

He is flexing his limited muscle, it isnt anythign we and a lot of other countries have not done and still do on occasion, so we need to recognise that just because we dotn trust or understand them that they dont have the right to do stuff, they are a threat but not a massive one to us, its South Korea that should be worried but I could imagine what they could start, if the US stick their beak in, they couldnt finish it, the minute anything agressive and nuclear happens against the US they would be wiped off the map, thankfully they are nowhere near that (we think/hope). In the meantime the citizens are starvign in places, how true it is I dont know but i have heard of Cannibalism due to hunger, whilst that little turd waves and indulges himself. It is like a religion that isnt optional.
That's quite well put across and basically what it is.

I remember watching a documentary towards the tail end of last year about North Korea and was pretty shocked that a whole nation could be so completely brainwashed into believing what they do.

He is a fat little **** though.
Old 12 February 2013, 07:22 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

In some respects it's hypocritical of the west as we were denoting bombs 100x bigger than these in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Mr north Korea just wants to make himself the almighty leader -they go nuclear on the us and they may kill a million but in response his country would be obliterated.

Let's just hope he's not so far up his own bottom that he thinks he's bomb proof!
Old 12 February 2013, 08:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

They would be better off tunneling into South Korea and setting the bomb off under their F1 circuit. The redesign might actually make the race exciting!

In reality if they launched a nuke I would like to think it could be shot down before hand and we respond by traditional means. We'd kill thousands and its not their fault they live under a lunatic regime.

Last edited by EddScott; 12 February 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12 February 2013, 08:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think he's seen his character built up and is damn well not going to let Trey Parker down
Old 12 February 2013, 09:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There exists an alliance between North Korea and Iran, another country with nuclear ambitions. According to reports, the device detonated was a uranium, rather than plutonium which they previously tested. Could this mean they're sharing and testing devices on behalf of Iran? I expect reports or preparations of tests from Iran may well appear soon.
Old 16 February 2013, 04:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a bit of a worry I reckon.

Les
Old 16 February 2013, 11:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Apparently they intend to set off at least another one or even two this year as well with the intention of forcing the US into diplomatic talks.
Old 17 February 2013, 09:20 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

It makes me wonder how much influence his military leaders/advisers have over his decisions. A lot of them would be the same ones that advised his father I expect and it makes me wonder if they are the ones encouraging his actions.
Old 17 February 2013, 10:28 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

This is what North Korea thinks of the rest of the world and as nuts as they are, theyve got some points. Just a pity the leader is a d1ck and his people suffer

Old 08 March 2013, 08:40 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

See this lot (North Korea) are making the 6 O' Clock news again. Watch the news clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21713340

******* head bangers!

Quick Reply: North Korea - What is going on?