mutual council house exchange

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2013, 08:43 PM
j976rna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mutual council house exchange

anyone done or know how this works?
me and my girlfriend have a 2 bedroom council house, with 2 girls sharing a room, with been on an exchange site for a 3 bedroom swap for a year, but now since the extra bedroom benefit cut is taking place, weve had someone that wants to downsize with ours, the landlord is the same.
How long does it take? Me and my girlfriend both work and dont get any benifit, if this matters
Old 10 February 2013, 09:19 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your original question, I have no idea.

But it sounds like it's a way of getting around the council housing waiting list, is it not? Is this council-sanctioned?
Old 10 February 2013, 09:23 PM
j976rna
Scooby Regular

the mutual exchange is not like the council waiting list, both of us are already living and paying rent in the council houses, they are just downsizing to pay less rent as they have a 3 bedroom house for 2 people, where we have a 2 bedroom house with 4 people
Old 10 February 2013, 09:27 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, I suppose the alternative would be for both parties to be on the council's waiting list for a more appropriate house, so I guess the council wouldn't mind having two fewer households to worry about rehousing.
Old 10 February 2013, 09:32 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

My nan did it fella she down sized.
Iirc they both viewed each others properties , then council checked both houses and made sure nothing owing and she moved in around a month
Old 11 February 2013, 07:33 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

We swapped on "homeswapper" in November. The fella had grown up in this 4 bedroom house moved out had kids etc, and when the Dad/Grandad got cancer he moved back in. They were put on the lease but when the Dad died they were told the lease wasn't for this house but for any council house. As the kids had moved out and they were now just a couple, the were only entitled to a 2 bed and were told they HAD to be out within 6 months.
Now this is how stupid this country is. I have a 10yr old lad from a previous relationship who's stayed with us since day one of the split 9 years ago. He didn't count though, and we were told we were only entitled to a 3 bed. The couple however have 2 dogs, which DID count and the dogs were afforded a bedroom, so they were entitled to a 2 bed. After a carefully worded letter to the local MP we were told we could have the 4 bed.

The couple had 100 emails about their house, and whilst we were viewing (4 different occasions) their phone was ringing with people wanting to view it. Out of them all they chose our 2 bed, because we decorated it really modern. This place is a bit of a hole, it looks like they smoked 60 a day for 20 years in here, the tar was almost dripping from the lights.
Once agreed phone the council and tell your housing officer. You then fill in a form and they visit your house and theirs. There are electric and gas checks as well. Once approved they set you a date and you sign paperwork in front of each other. It was really easy and I think even with the problems it took us a month in total.

Beware some people's houses are right states, and the general public are mental. For example the only other house our couple considered was owned by a Lady who insisted she ripped up all of her carpets and brought them with her.

Last edited by Kwik; 11 February 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11 February 2013, 10:51 AM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

It can be quite a quick process as stated, though it can be prolonged if you're exchanging 'cross border' i.e. different council. Make sure you view the property closely and ask the council and local residents if there have been any problems or reasons for the other party moving. Unfortunately there are alterier motives for people wanting to move and not just the fact they need to downsize, it's sometimes an easy excuse to move away from unwanted or nuisance neighbours.