Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bulgaria - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2013, 02:41 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulgaria - opinions

I have been toying with going to Bulgaria for a holiday for a while now, usually we end up in Spain, somewhere we feel very comfortable with, know our way around and even though we cannot speak the language always manage to get by in those barrier situations.

What do people think about Bulgaria, what are good places for holidays and any general opinions would be appreciated before I break it to the missus that we are going there instead ;-)

Also does anyone have a house / villa / apartment over there who can probably shed a slightly different viewpoint than just a tourist one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08 February 2013, 02:49 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'll all be here soon, you can ask them!
Old 08 February 2013, 04:13 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

My son when Sking there, said it was **** poor money wise, owned by the mafia, not a lot to get excited about.
Old 08 February 2013, 05:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Went ski-ing twice in Iron Curtain days. It was an eye opener, but VERY cheap, since the official exchange rate was 1.8 Levs = £1, and everyone got 7 Levs = £1 on the slopes.

With a huge glass of slivovicz, or a beer at 1 Lev, it made it a dirt cheap holiday.
Plus most people came back with more money than they went with, having sold a £10 pair of mirror sunglasses for £20, an old pair of Levis for £50 and a pair of Kickers boots for £100!!!!
Old 08 February 2013, 06:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's like the wild west down there, you wan't to come to croatia.
Old 08 February 2013, 07:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
It's like the wild west down there, you wan't to come to croatia.
Where is worth going in Croatia?

What's the cost of beer and eating out there?
Old 08 February 2013, 07:18 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Got a spot over on the eastern side, it's erm… wild!

It's out in the sticks, roads aren't metalled until out of the village, dogs just roaming about or dead at the side of the road! All the windows have bars to stop gypsies breaking in etc.

I know I'm not painting a great picture, but it really is quite nice if you like the simple life. There is some great communist architecture and it's dead cheap!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzludzha

Tim.

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2013, 09:16 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never been but a mate of mine goes there every year and really enjoys it, dirt cheap according to him. give it a go, I'm trying Tunisia at Easter for the first time, I usually head for the Canaries at that time of year
Old 08 February 2013, 09:22 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Where is worth going in Croatia?

What's the cost of beer and eating out there?
I'm in Istria and i love it, depends what you like to do on holiday, it's all here, beautiful coast the water is fantastic colour and crystal clear, loads of trails for walking, riding horses, bikes, ect, beautiful scenery and architecture, lots of culture.

Food is good, as for price depends where and what you eat, as with most places, beer is cheaper than uk, average around £1.00 a pint, but again depends where you drink, fancy places = fancy prices, but it's easy to eat a nice meal for 2 including drinks for under £20.00

My food bill for the week is around £20 and i eat well, as in fresh meat and veg, only processed stuff i buy is frozen peas from lidl, fresh meat from butcher costs about £10.00 for a week and i had T bone steak tonight.
Old 08 February 2013, 10:54 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Where was hostile filmed
Old 08 February 2013, 10:58 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm in Istria and i love it, depends what you like to do on holiday, it's all here, beautiful coast the water is fantastic colour and crystal clear, loads of trails for walking, riding horses, bikes, ect, beautiful scenery and architecture, lots of culture.

Food is good, as for price depends where and what you eat, as with most places, beer is cheaper than uk, average around £1.00 a pint, but again depends where you drink, fancy places = fancy prices, but it's easy to eat a nice meal for 2 including drinks for under £20.00

My food bill for the week is around £20 and i eat well, as in fresh meat and veg, only processed stuff i buy is frozen peas from lidl, fresh meat from butcher costs about £10.00 for a week and i had T bone steak tonight.
Sounds good. What's the nightlife like?
Old 09 February 2013, 07:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Sounds good. What's the nightlife like?
In the tourist areas it's good but again depends what your into, bars tend to open till the last few paying customers leave, but i'm in the sticks and hang with locals so it's a bit different for me, you'll have to do a bit of research on what festivals are on when your planing to come, of which there are many, a personal favourite is the local vino fest, but there are always famous acts on at the arena in pula as it's on the european tour circuit, and there is a club scene, there's usually no problem partying till daylight in the summer and winter, if you know where to look.
Old 09 February 2013, 09:30 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Agree with trying Croatia, we have a property on one of the islands (Brac) so go there at least once a year. But have been to lots of other place, the wife is Croatian so she knows where to go.

Great seafood, very chilled out people, beautiful buildings etc.

Not cheap for a tourist if I'm being honest, bit if you do all your shopping in the right place it can be.

I've been to Sofia in Bulgaria for a lads weekend and can Highly recommend it for that....
Old 09 February 2013, 09:31 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

In the tourist areas it's good but again depends what your into, bars tend to open till the last few paying customers leave, but i'm in the sticks and hang with locals so it's a bit different for me, you'll have to do a bit of research on what festivals are on when your planing to come, of which there are many, a personal favourite is the local vino fest, but there are always famous acts on at the arena in pula as it's on the european tour circuit, and there is a club scene, there's usually no problem partying till daylight in the summer and winter, if you know where to look.
Hvar?
Old 10 February 2013, 08:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Agree with trying Croatia, we have a property on one of the islands (Brac) so go there at least once a year. But have been to lots of other place, the wife is Croatian so she knows where to go.

Great seafood, very chilled out people, beautiful buildings etc.

Not cheap for a tourist if I'm being honest, bit if you do all your shopping in the right place it can be.

I've been to Sofia in Bulgaria for a lads weekend and can Highly recommend it for that....
The islands do tend to be more expensive by about 20% in my experience, i go to cres for my hols as it's close and not too expensive if you get an apartment, and we bring most of our food over with us and make sure the fuel tank is full, as it all adds up, when we do eat out i look at who's eating in a place ie croats as that tells you food is good and prices are ok, just like anywhere in the world really.

Brac and Hvar are down south from me and not been there, i'm up north in central istra, Pag is the party island.
Old 10 February 2013, 01:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They say that 4 million of them have said they want to come here now!

Les