Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What have I done?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2013, 06:00 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I done?

To my back?. On Thursday I twisted it closing my garage door, and had to walk back to the house bent double with the aid of my 2 Son's. I laid down on the wooden floor for half an hour and no word of a lie it took my mrs helping me about 20 minutes to get onto the sofa and I was shouting in pain.

Still now I can barely move. If I stop, lay down or sit down for too long it seizes and gets worse. Being an idiot I fitted my new wheels yesterday whilst it hurt but did no extra damage.

How do I know If I have slipped or haemoridged (again sp) a disc? I'm not going to sit in hospital for hours in agony.
Old 14 January 2013, 07:05 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Arent you supposed to take pain killers and keep moving about ? Lying on the floor is old school AFAIK .
Old 14 January 2013, 08:53 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could of trapped a nerve, but i recommend you go to the hospital or walk in centre if you have one, usually takes about 30 min to get seen in our local one and less if you time it right, you can also call ahead and ask how busy it is.
Old 14 January 2013, 08:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Arent you supposed to take pain killers and keep moving about ? Lying on the floor is old school AFAIK .
FFS don't do that !!!

No telling what damage you could be doing.
Old 14 January 2013, 09:11 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
FFS don't do that !!!

Yes I say take the roof of his house off and take him out via a helicopter and spinal board.
Old 14 January 2013, 09:37 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
Yes I say take the roof of his house off and take him out via a helicopter and spinal board.
No body likes a smart ar$e.
Old 14 January 2013, 09:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

FFS don't do that !!!

Unless you think you may have broken something then the new recommendation is in fact to keep moving. I have a bunch of special exercises to use when I suffer with either muscle problems, which yours sounds as though it is, or a prolapsed disc. But go visit a Doctor first! Dont get a forum diagnosis (sorry I missed that bit)

Last edited by r32; 14 January 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2013, 10:07 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

you're expert planker !

why not ring the doctors or go to a&e, if you're that bad, you probably will need some proper medical attention.
Old 14 January 2013, 03:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very easy to pull a muscle accidentally,it nearly happened to me the other day but I felt it coming just in time to escape it.

If it is that bad then the only thing is to see a doctor. Are you frightened to do that? It is surprising how they can sort something like that out quite quickly, and it does not cost anything!

Les
Old 14 January 2013, 04:35 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Miniman
LOL
Old 14 January 2013, 04:43 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Just back from the doctors. I had the same sort of injury 3 years ago and went to the doctors and even though I told them I had a back injury the room was upstairs, and the same again today.
I hate the Doctor's. If I rest it could cause more damage, If I keep moving then I could make it worse, fudging useless.
Old 14 January 2013, 05:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Lifting/pulling is often muscle.
Combine it with TWISTING and it's more likely a disc

Bad news, I'm afraid.

Rest and painkillers is about it. If it doesn't start to ease off after about four weeks, for God's sake go back and TELL them, ask for further treatment. The least you should get is a CAT scan.
Old 14 January 2013, 05:52 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

So you are prepared to sit in the house for days in pain but you wont nip to A&E for an hour to get it sorted

Some threads are beyond belief
Old 14 January 2013, 06:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Sorry but i think that filling yourself full of pain killers and moving about BEFORE you have been to the doctors or hospital to get some idea of what the problem could be is a stupid thing to do, and may well lead to more serious damage.

But what do i care it's not my back.
Old 14 January 2013, 06:31 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
So you are prepared to sit in the house for days in pain but you wont nip to A&E for an hour to get it sorted

Some threads are beyond belief
Hmmm, Not sure where your A+E is but an hours wait is hopeful, try 3 or 4 to be told what you already know.
My doctors require a call at 8:30am, and its like phoning for tickets to Wembley its constantly engaged, I've only just managed to get an appointment
(We can't all afford Bupa).

Sorry but i think that filling yourself full of pain killers and moving about BEFORE you have been to the doctors or hospital to get some idea of what the problem could be is a stupid thing to do, and may well lead to more serious damage.

Been to the quacks and been told nothing I didn't already know, and prescribed drugs I'm already taking.
Old 14 January 2013, 07:03 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Nor am i a doctor so dont take my advise (or dont ask medical advice on a Subaru forum , not that i know anything about either)
Old 14 January 2013, 11:44 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, I did exactly the same to my back on the last friday before Xmas, it took 2 weeks to get to the point I could go out walking. Even now it still hurts to lift a leg up in the air while laying on my back.

I took all kinds of stuff from the strongest pain killers my missus had from her caesarean to ibuprofen. To be honest, the ibuprofen did the best job. I made the mistake of trying to hit a golf ball towards the end of week two and it set me back a few days.
One strange side effect of the pain was that if I sat on a hard chair for more than a min or two, the pain went from my back to my hips then down into my plums as if someone was standing on them. Not a great feeling I have to admit.
Old 15 January 2013, 12:04 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

mate im currently going through this scenario - lower back pain - one opinion was part of one of my vertibrae was slightly mis-aligned and as such putting pressure on a nerve - this results in the muscle constantly in a spasm. very painful even if that isnt the true problem.

for me the issue is getting a definite diagnosis - my GP seems quite happy for me to just ride out the time and let it heal itself, but i want to know exactly whats wrong tbh - but i think its costly, and can be a long process - i want to get back to work asap but need to be assessed as fit to do so. its frustrating me.

my advice which i didnt take this time but usually do is, bear it until a monday or tuesday night set alarm and get down A&E at 2-3am. usually less delay then and if nothing serious comes in you could get a decent bit of time with a doc to help diagnosis. good luck
Old 15 January 2013, 05:55 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
mate im currently going through this scenario - lower back pain - one opinion was part of one of my vertibrae was slightly mis-aligned and as such putting pressure on a nerve - this results in the muscle constantly in a spasm. very painful even if that isnt the true problem.

for me the issue is getting a definite diagnosis - my GP seems quite happy for me to just ride out the time and let it heal itself, but i want to know exactly whats wrong tbh - but i think its costly, and can be a long process - i want to get back to work asap but need to be assessed as fit to do so. its frustrating me.

my advice which i didnt take this time but usually do is, bear it until a monday or tuesday night set alarm and get down A&E at 2-3am. usually less delay then and if nothing serious comes in you could get a decent bit of time with a doc to help diagnosis. good luck
I don't think some people can quite understand not so much the pain that comes with it but the helplessness. The idea of the hospital and doctors I just see as a formality, a pointless exercise and I know getting something like a Cat scan to find if there is any serious damage would take several trips to A+E etc, and weeks off of work I'd imagine.
I drove 20 miles last night, picked up a sofa bed, brought it home and took it upstairs to our spare room without a single problem, but sitting here typing this is hurting.
I'm literally having to get on with life through gritted teeth. (I bet people think I'm being an idiot).
I wondered if there was a definitive set of symptoms which would separate ordinary back pain from a slipped or ruptured disc?
Old 15 January 2013, 07:12 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
the pain went from my back to my hips then down into my plums as if someone was standing on them. Not a great feeling I have to admit.
Not that weird it would seem , i randomly had a bit of lower back pain last week , came out of nowhere , and also came with a dull ache in the bollok. Still a very slight pain in the back , and a slightly less dull pain in the bollok now .
Old 15 January 2013, 10:29 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Some years ago I attended a back pain referral centre and spent three weeks there, they dealt with all kinds of back problems including post surgery. I suffer from a degenerating spine and can easily prolapse as many as three discs at a time. I have some specific back exercises that help me even with a prolapse. If you want a copy of them I'll gladly send them to you if you PM me. But talk to your Doctor first. They work on the muscles that support your back. They are intended to ease pain.
Old 15 January 2013, 01:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
Just back from the doctors. I had the same sort of injury 3 years ago and went to the doctors and even though I told them I had a back injury the room was upstairs, and the same again today.
I hate the Doctor's. If I rest it could cause more damage, If I keep moving then I could make it worse, fudging useless.
I hope the doctor did you a bit of good anyway.

You are unlucky,our doctors will always see you downstairs if you do have a similar problem or are disabled.

Les