Hospital sent patient on 23-mile walk home

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2013, 03:52 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Hospital sent patient on 23-mile walk home

From "the Tines" today

A 62-year-old patient with breathing difficulties was told to walk 23 miles home in the early hours of New Year’s Day after he was discharged from hospital, he says.
Peter Rees was admitted to West Wales General Hospital on New Year’s Eve with a chest infection but after doctors gave him a prescription for antibiotics he was discharged at 2am.
Mr Rees says he told staff that his wallet was at home and he had no money for a taxi but says he could not have booked one because they would have been too busy. He claims that a nurse told him he would have to walk. He had gone 12 miles along unlit country roads when a police car stopped and gave him a lift.
Mr Rees, who worked in the film and advertising industries, said: “The nurse sent me packing knowing my only way home was to walk. It was the most horrible night of my life. I had dark clothing on, I was feeling most unwell and I had to walk on unlit roads on one of the most dangerous nights of the year.”
He intends to sue the hospital for failing in its duty of care. He said: “I would have been happy to sleep in a chair until daybreak when I could have arranged a lift home but I was virtually shown the door. The attitude of the nursing sister is something I will never forget. It was heartless. When I explained that I lived 23 miles away and had no way to get home, the nursing sister told me to walk. When I said I couldn’t believe what was happening, I was accused of being aggressive. I was very tired but I didn’t raise my voice or swear.”
He says ambulance drivers told him they were not allowed to drive patients home. He walked ten miles before a passing police car stopped. “The officers urged me not to walk any farther because it was dangerous but I had no choice,” he said. “I was clinging on to bramble bushes as I edged along the hedgerow in the face of oncoming traffic. I was shattered, freezing, felt giddy and lost my footing more than once.”
Mr Rees, who lives with his partner, Annie, in Llanwrda, walked two more miles then a second police car picked him up.
A spokesman for the Hywel Dda Health Board, which runs the hospital, said: “We regret to hear about the situation Mr Rees found himself in. The Health Board has received a formal complaint and, as the investigation is ongoing, we cannot comment further.
“We’d like to reassure the public that there are innovative transport schemes in place, or being piloted, for patients who require assistance with non-emergency transportation.”
Last year The Times revealed that thousands of patients are discharged from NHS hospitals in the middle of the night.
Old 11 January 2013, 04:01 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's ridiculous
Old 11 January 2013, 04:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I just bet he was a cantacerous old git at Hospital ....... did he try for a Taxi and pay at home?

He could have waited in the Hospital Waiting Area for a Taxi ...... the story stinks of hype!!
Old 11 January 2013, 04:09 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

So why didn't he just ring someone to pick him up?
Or grab a cab and pay when it got him home?

Sounds to me like he's playing this a little.
Old 11 January 2013, 05:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

They could have lent him a bike

dl
Old 11 January 2013, 06:01 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Or a wheel chair! Or he could have paid the taxi when he got in?
Old 11 January 2013, 06:20 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

What a moron. Suprised he has lived so long.
Makes you wonder why he had no friends or family to call on.

Average walking speed would mean at his age & condition it would take at least 8 hours to walk 23 miles. Discharged at 2 am means he could have waited warm & safe in the hospital until 10 am for a cab or someone to pick him up.

Utter fool.

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2013, 07:19 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 22BUK
From "the Tines" today

A 62-year-old patient with breathing difficulties was told to walk 23 miles home in the early hours of New Year’s Day after he was discharged from hospital, he says.
Peter Rees was admitted to West Wales General Hospital on New Year’s Eve with a chest infection but after doctors gave him a prescription for antibiotics he was discharged at 2am.
Mr Rees says he told staff that his wallet was at home and he had no money for a taxi but says he could not have booked one because they would have been too busy. He claims that a nurse told him he would have to walk. He had gone 12 miles along unlit country roads when a police car stopped and gave him a lift.
Mr Rees, who worked in the film and advertising industries, said: “The nurse sent me packing knowing my only way home was to walk. It was the most horrible night of my life. I had dark clothing on, I was feeling most unwell and I had to walk on unlit roads on one of the most dangerous nights of the year.”
He intends to sue the hospital for failing in its duty of care. He said: “I would have been happy to sleep in a chair until daybreak when I could have arranged a lift home but I was virtually shown the door. The attitude of the nursing sister is something I will never forget. It was heartless. When I explained that I lived 23 miles away and had no way to get home, the nursing sister told me to walk. When I said I couldn’t believe what was happening, I was accused of being aggressive. I was very tired but I didn’t raise my voice or swear.”
He says ambulance drivers told him they were not allowed to drive patients home. He walked ten miles before a passing police car stopped. “The officers urged me not to walk any farther because it was dangerous but I had no choice,” he said. “I was clinging on to bramble bushes as I edged along the hedgerow in the face of oncoming traffic. I was shattered, freezing, felt giddy and lost my footing more than once.”
Mr Rees, who lives with his partner, Annie, in Llanwrda, walked two more miles then a second police car picked him up.
A spokesman for the Hywel Dda Health Board, which runs the hospital, said: “We regret to hear about the situation Mr Rees found himself in. The Health Board has received a formal complaint and, as the investigation is ongoing, we cannot comment further.
“We’d like to reassure the public that there are innovative transport schemes in place, or being piloted, for patients who require assistance with non-emergency transportation.”
Last year The Times revealed that thousands of patients are discharged from NHS hospitals in the middle of the night.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:35 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

He probably needed the exercise and a bit of fresh air.
Old 11 January 2013, 08:23 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Agree with pslewis, sounds like he was probably being obnoxous.

What did he expect? That everyone who goes to A&E gets a bed for the night?! Sounds like he needs a reality check.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds incredible to me that the hospital staff could be so mindless as to expect him to walk that kind of distance to get home especially since he has breathing difficulties.

When I had a heart related problem they did take me home in a hospital car because like his situation I was medically incapable of walking home.

The staff must be a bunch of plonkers with no sense of responsibility for their patients.

Les
Old 12 January 2013, 02:32 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
Sounds incredible to me that the hospital staff could be so mindless as to expect him to walk that kind of distance to get home especially since he has breathing difficulties.

When I had a heart related problem they did take me home in a hospital car because like his situation I was medically incapable of walking home.

The staff must be a bunch of plonkers with no sense of responsibility for their patients.

Les
Do you really take that 'story' at face value?! Why didn't he try for a taxi? Why not ring a relative or friend? Why not spend the night in the foyer or waiting room?
Along with other posters I think he's just trying to milk some money out of the situation, confirmed by the fact he intends to sue the hospital.
This bit made me laugh “I was clinging on to bramble bushes as I edged along the hedgerow in the face of oncoming traffic. I was shattered, freezing, felt giddy and lost my footing more than once.” Sounds like his time in the film industry wasn't completely wasted as that statement makes him sound like Indiana Jones.
Old 12 January 2013, 02:50 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of possible reasons he couldn't call family or friend or not afford a taxi etc. Maybe it can be taken at face value, who knows. Being turfed out of hospital at 2am on new years day is so convenient and easy to manage at the age of 62 with a respiratory problem in all circumstances isn't it guys..... Sorry, I'm with Les on this one for now, great to hear that the rest of you would be happy to be treated in this way, no matter what your circumstances were. Glad cynicism (sp?) hasn't influenced your replies, lol.
Old 12 January 2013, 02:58 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:13 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

I'd like to as well but I'm not going to decide that he was being an asse unless there is reason.

I've had very varying quality of service (levels of respect/understanding/treatment) from the NHS/A&E over the years ranging from excellent to dire.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:38 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

The attitude of the nursing sister is something I will never forget. It was heartless. When I explained that I lived 23 miles away and had no way to get home, the nursing sister told me to walk. When I said I couldn’t believe what was happening, I was accused of being aggressive. I was very tired but I didn’t raise my voice or swear.

Hmmmm

To be honest if i were that guy and knowing my health condition,i wouldn't of even attempted to walk the 23 miles.
I kind of find it hard to believe that a nurse would tell a 62 yr old man with a chest infection,to walk 23 miles home on a cold dark morning,maybe being NYD early hours of morning,a taxi was hard to get.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:42 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Lots of possible reasons he couldn't call family or friend or not afford a taxi etc. Maybe it can be taken at face value, who knows. Being turfed out of hospital at 2am on new years day is so convenient and easy to manage at the a/ge of 62 with a respiratory problem in all circumstances isn't it guys..... Sorry, I'm with Les on this one for now, great to hear that the rest of you would be happy to be treated in this way, no matter what your circumstances were. Glad cynicism (sp?) hasn't influenced your replies, lol.
Note the clever use of language 'I was virtually turfed out', 'one of the most dangerous nights of the year'. What does any of that really mean?

What would you do in his situation?

Common sense dictates that you do not even contemplate,let alone attempt, walking home 23 miles at 2am under any circumstances given you are 62 & feeling unwell.Any alternative is preferable & his were not unreasonable.

Think about it.

The problems start when you have to legislate for idiots.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 12 January 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:59 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I'd get a cab, not walk as I have money for a cab, so that's fine. I'm saying I wont judge the guy without the other side of the story. Like, for instance, assuming he was an idiot.

Need to hear both sides. I do believe that a nurse would leave someone in a circumstance which meant duty of care was not carried out/covered by the hospital. I also believe patients can be idiots. I also believe patients can feel helpless and without alternatives sometimes.

We'll see what happens eh? Considering the nhs have come back saying they are starting pioneering patient transport initiatives says alot.

And just because others are able to see sensible solutions to problems doesn't mean that those who make silly choices are necessarily idiots (although I am guilty of making this judgement on people sometimes).
Old 12 January 2013, 04:19 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I'd get a cab, not walk as I have money for a cab, so that's fine. I'm saying I wont judge the guy without the other side of the story. Like, for instance, assuming he was an idiot.

Need to hear both sides. I do believe that a nurse would leave someone in a circumstance which meant duty of care was not carried out/covered by the hospital. I also believe patients can be idiots. I also believe patients can feel helpless and without alternatives sometimes.

We'll see what happens eh? Considering the nhs have come back saying they are starting pioneering patient transport initiatives says alot.

And just because others are able to see sensible solutions to problems doesn't mean that those who make silly choices are necessarily idiots (although I am guilty of making this judgement on people sometimes).
Ok,fair enough.Maybe not an idiot but lacking in judgment on a massive scale.

As you have said we only have his side of the story which uses some emotive language & appears to steer clear of some of the facts.

He doesn't actually say he was officially removed from the premises which seems to be the crux of his argument.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

On the face of it, it does indeed appear he is an idiot.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Yeah I absolutely understand what you're saying and agree about the dramatic language the guy used but we weren't there. It will be interesting to see the outcome or have more information so we can all develop a more informed decision on this one.

Maybe he's an over emotional luvvie after cash, maybe the hospital staff made a boo-boo on a busy night. See if any decent info comes out of the media hype machine.

P.s. Yes it would be bad judgement on a big scale if he really did have alternatives available!

Last edited by Torquemada; 12 January 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

We don't have enough balanced info to decide. Patients do blatantly lie, frequently twist things for secondary gain and often expect the NHS to take responsibility for them when they are capable of taking that responsibility for themselves. On the flip side, sometimes patients are treated without humanity or negligently.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:22 PM
richthowells
Scooby Regular

You could look at it another way.

A 62 year old out for a few new years eve drinks.
No money for a taxi home.
Goes to the local a+e complaining of an illness.
Given antibiotics and discharged.

Is he entitled to a free taxi home?
Old 12 January 2013, 07:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You could look at it in many ways, but the best answer is:

Originally Posted by john banks
We don't have enough balanced info to decide. Patients do blatantly lie, frequently twist things for secondary gain and often expect the NHS to take responsibility for them when they are capable of taking that responsibility for themselves. On the flip side, sometimes patients are treated without humanity or negligently.
Bad patients do exist, so do bad health professionals on a power trip.

That 62-yr. old could be a dodgy bottle-end, but we don't know whether the nurse was downright horrible to him; causing him such distress that he went off on one long walk. I would have turned into a frozen zombie after 2 miles FFS. I would have instead seated myself in the waiting area and preferred gazing sheepishly at the nurse's sour face; with my hands folded in praying position, rather doing one on number 11 for miles. But if the nurse was too scary, I too would have preferred a long, dark walk back home instead. Think about it.

Maybe he walked for 12 miles just to strengthen his evidence against the hospital, thus to maximise his chances for a humungous compo? Shame police lifted him, or he could have increased his compo by completing his target of 23 miles.

IMO speculation helps people to investigate others' actions, learn from them and correct their own future actions. Good. But in all fairness, we haven’t a clue who's right and who's wrong in this case. Hopefully the court case judge will have more info to act upon, and to do justice to the true victim.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
You could look at it in many ways, but the best answer is:

Bad patients do exist, so do bad health professionals on a power trip.

That 62-yr. old could be a dodgy bottle-end, but we don't know whether the nurse was downright horrible to him; causing him such distress that he went off on one long walk. I would have turned into a frozen zombie after 2 miles FFS. I would have instead seated myself in the waiting area and preferred gazing sheepishly at the nurse's sour face; with my hands folded in praying position, rather doing one on number 11 for miles. But if the nurse was too scary, I too would have preferred a long, dark walk back home instead. Think about it.

Maybe he walked for 12 miles just to strengthen his evidence against the hospital, thus to maximise his chances for a humungous compo? Shame police lifted him, or he could have increased his compo by completing his target of 23 miles.

IMO speculation helps people to investigate others' actions, learn from them and correct their own future actions. Good. But in all fairness, we haven’t a clue who's right and who's wrong in this case. Hopefully the court case judge will have more info to act upon, and to do justice to the true victim.
Some good points but No. Speculation is just that, speculation. It does not serve the same purpose and is not as valuable to us as intelligent investigation using available facts, which I think fits better to what you are trying to say. In fact I'd say that speculation is far more damaging than it ever does good. How's about speculation over who's a paedo recently, that's been really 'good'. lol

I think I see what you are saying though, curiosity which makes us investigate rather than speculate is good. But I disagree that speculation is a force for good.

I have to say that I don't think the length of time walking will make any difference on compo, that was up to him. If, and it's still a big if, he was told to leave and had no choice but to walk then it would be possible (but I would think unlikely) compo for having been put in that position, not compo per bleddy mile walked

As I've mentioned several times prior to Johns succinct and correct post, we'll have to wait and see if any accurate information comes out which shows both sides of the story
Old 12 January 2013, 08:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richthowells
You could look at it another way.

A 62 year old out for a few new years eve drinks.
No money for a taxi home.
Goes to the local a+e complaining of an illness.
Given antibiotics and discharged.

Is he entitled to a free taxi home?
I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

He wasn't out for drinks, according to the articles I've seen. Maybe it would be best to read up/research the supposed 'facts' prior to posting

ok, maybe a bit harsh or I'm being a softie but you know what I mean Totally possible this guy was being a **** or that the nurse/s was/were being horrid but we don't know either way.

Last edited by Torquemada; 12 January 2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: being a sensitive petal, for a change
Old 12 January 2013, 09:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Some good points but No. Speculation is just that, speculation. It does not serve the same purpose and is not as valuable to us as intelligent investigation using available facts, which I think fits better to what you are trying to say. In fact I'd say that speculation is far more damaging than it ever does good. How's about speculation over who's a paedo recently, that's been really 'good'. lol

I think I see what you are saying though, curiosity which makes us investigate rather than speculate is good. But I disagree that speculation is a force for good.
There are more than one side to everything; this includes speculations, suppositions etc. as well. However, my point wasn't to side with totally baseless speculating tendencies. My point was to accept them as one element of human nature. Speculation as a self-controlled activity with some common sense is not really something to disapprove. Even if you do, you can't vape it from human nature. It’s like when people say- "We shouldn't judge. Judging without much evidence is bad" and blah, blah, bleddy blah. Oh come on, let's admit that we all judge! How superficially/narrowly/baselessly we judge is the point, so is the amount of projection in it. If a sandwich maker can't judge how much butter to apply to a bread slice, he/she might as well clean the toilets. If the toilet cleaner doesn't know how much bleach to put in the toilet, he/she might as well; well.......... just go for a bleddy walk for 12 miles!

I have to say that I don't think the length of time walking will make any difference on compo, that was up to him. If, and it's still a big if, he was told to leave and had no choice but to walk then it would be possible (but I would think unlikely) compo for having been put in that position, not compo per bleddy mile walked
Glad you understood that I was not really calculating his compo per mile.

As I've mentioned several times prior to Johns succinct and correct post, we'll have to wait and see if any accurate information comes out which shows both sides of the story
Exactly. Totally agree.

Personally, I'd leave the judge to work out what really is what. Now if the judge can't judge properly, he/she should also go for a walk from his job for a lot of miles.
Old 12 January 2013, 09:55 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
There are more than one side to everything; this includes speculations, suppositions etc. as well. However, my point wasn't to side with totally baseless speculating tendencies. My point was to accept them as one element of human nature. Speculation as a self-controlled activity with some common sense is not really something to disapprove. Even if you do, you can't vape it from human nature. It’s like when people say- "We shouldn't judge. Judging without much evidence is bad" and blah, blah, bleddy blah. Oh come on, let's admit that we all judge! How superficially/narrowly/baselessly we judge is the point, so is the amount of projection in it. If a sandwich maker can't judge how much butter to apply to a bread slice, he/she might as well clean the toilets. If the toilet cleaner doesn't know how much bleach to put in the toilet, he/she might as well; well.......... just go for a bleddy walk for 12 miles!

Glad you understood that I was not really calculating his compo per mile.

Exactly. Totally agree.

Personally, I'd leave the judge to work out what really is what. Now if the judge can't judge properly, he/she should also go for a walk from his job for a lot of miles.
Yep, agree with that; thanks for the clarification of your point re speculative thought and applying it with some self control and evaluation of facts at hand etc.

As you've confirmed, baseless speculation is bad, mkay.
Old 13 January 2013, 01:54 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tend to believe him.
The NHS doesn't seem to have changed much, as something similar happened to me on Christmas eve 1981.
I was knocked off my m/cycle by a drunk driver at around 9:30pm. I was taken by ambulance to hospital where I was x-rayed. After finding I only had severe bruising I was discharged shortly after midnight. I had no money for a taxi home, so I had to walk the 11 miles while in a lot of pain.
I wasn't very pleased about this. However looking on the bright side, it wasn't raining or snowing. Of course back then we wouldn't consider suing.
Old 13 January 2013, 01:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
What a moron. Suprised he has lived so long.
Makes you wonder why he had no friends or family to call on.

Average walking speed would mean at his age & condition it would take at least 8 hours to walk 23 miles. Discharged at 2 am means he could have waited warm & safe in the hospital until 10 am for a cab or someone to pick him up.

Utter fool.
Like all the others who are criticising him out of hand, you are accusing him without being prepared to understand the situation properly, or maybe you just dont want to!

The man was told by the nurse that he was not allowed to stay at the hospital until the morning and that his only choice was to walk home! He almost certainly was in a position where there was no one he could call on to pick him up at that time of the morning. He doubtless did not know when he would be released from the hospital when he was taken in on an emergency basis.

What would you do in that situation if you were the nurse in question? Would you be such an **** as to insist that he walk such a distance in the middle of the night in his state of health? You must be a very self centred person to make such an unpleasant post as you did.

I have been in a similar situation where I was taken into hospital by ambulance and refused transport for a 15 mile ride home. Luckily for me there was a hospital car voluntary service which I was able to use for a paid trip home. The medical authorities were not prepared to offer any help or permissio9n to wait until a more civilised time of day.

Never assume that you might not be in such a position yourself one day!

Les

Quick Reply: Hospital sent patient on 23-mile walk home