Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bored With Life ???

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2013, 01:07 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Bored With Life ???

This thread is aimed at the older scoobynet peps amongst you, but not exclusively.

Anyone feel (or have felt) that as they go through life, that the buzzes (ie highs) they felt at certain points in their life are not as high as they are now ?

eg when I got the scooby all those years ago, there was a real buzz or high, but if I got a new car now, it would feel good, but at the same time, almost like "so what".

Not just cars, but any multitude of things you care to mention.

Are these normal feelings, or should I be worried ?
Old 11 January 2013, 01:18 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a natural progression really, if youve had something sinilar before, then the next time you get it even if 10% better isnt going to produce the same excitment as first time.

the only way i think to get that real "amazing feeling" is to try something new, but then youll likely need to keep trying new things. but i dont think it has to revolve around mad adreneline junkie activities

new things like a small bungee jump, a track day, a down hill mountain bike course, a basic lesson in snowboarding, a tandem parachute jump, a holiday to see a spectacular landmark, paintbaling if never done it, a skid pan lesson, certain themed nights out - tbh could go on forever as long as its new itll provide excitment as you dont know the drill.

what you think?
Old 11 January 2013, 01:29 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

there is actually so many things tbh mate - its probably the lack of motivation that most people fall into - they cant really be fcked - it probably wont be that good anway. its an easy trap i think.

but it just needs to e anything atall thats new and impacts your senses - scuba diving, whale watching, even events that dont need actual participation - im thinking red bull cliff diving or aircraft racing, airshows, white water rafting, an unusual dining experience, quadbiking, travelling to somewhere you wouldnt normally consider makes you ore aware pay more attention and results in a heightened experience, no?

or the very best one yet - sharing one of your own exciting experiences with someone who hasnt had it, teaching them about it, getting them excited about it - talking kids here, with imagination you can fuel, and encorage them to try things and get excited about them and life in general.
Old 11 January 2013, 01:36 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

sorry this thread excites me, i plan taking my kids campin this year, justa night or 2 - in reality in know this means sh*t sleep, sore back , likely cold, smelling bad, but for kids

its amazing, looking at stars, maybe build a fire, sleeping in a tent, getting up early to run around, throw stones in water, learning as they play - i got so excited as a youngster for this im sure mine willl be same - a bit of that rubs off onto you and its exciting all over again, fantastic stuff imo!!

just to add i think the excitment comes from teaching adn helping those that avent experienced these "high" for you to be the one that shows them let them experience the activities you so once enjoyed, can gve them the buzz you nce had, but also give you a buzz along with it, ok t may not be as amazing as when you did it yourself, but usually youll be beaming with pleasure and pride that you showed someone, or helped someone to have the experiences you did - its maybe a wee bit as good as when you had them yourself.
due to **** social anxiety im a sh*t adult teacher - esp with all the rd tape and b/s that goes with health and saftey - but for kids - im not stupig r going to put anyone in danger, you dont need t sign a form, but im sure i can and do help them experience abit of the buzzes of life thatare freely available

Last edited by jef; 11 January 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11 January 2013, 03:09 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

great posts Jef, quite thought provoking for me.
thanks for your time posting, btw.

Yes, I guess *new* experiences are the secret here.

I quite like the idea of travel, especially to new places that I haven't been to before.
The only downside being the cost, but I guess if it brings well-being it is worth every penny.

I don't have kids, but do have 4 young cousins, between 2.5 months to 10 yo, albeit overseas, but that could be a nice avenue.

Too old for stuff like scuba / paintball, and would never do bungie jump / skydive.

quote ...... "...its probably the lack of motivation..... "
maybe this is the root of the problem, feel quite unhappy at work, hard to change job with GFC etc etc, no job would mean financial pressures etc etc.

Last edited by velohead66; 11 January 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11 January 2013, 05:03 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Great posts by Jef there.

OP, Have you ever just done something off the cuff? I mean like say booked a week off work.

Have some options on what to do?
Have some options where to go?
Have your passport to hand?

I did that once and ended up in my car and at the port in Portsmouth catching the Ferry.

No family, no girlfriend.............just me , my time away for just a couple of nights. I felt so refreshed after.

There are other things. Like for example cars, football etc? Do you lke those?
Old 11 January 2013, 06:19 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

What inspires me now that I've retirement from general management working towards my last few years before retirement is voluntary work
Sitting on various committees and using my skills to help other organisations improve

I'm chairman of finance for our local council and next stop is mayor
There is so many organisation out there that are looking for new young blood instead of the normal early retired teachers and treehuggers and they would really appreciate your help

The alternative is booze and hookers

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2013, 07:06 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Kids are mainly what keeps me smiling. Reaching them stuff, seeing them have fun, etc and so far, they seem to be doing well which is very satisfying.

Also get a big kick from surfing, cycling, running around our amazing coastline, all sorts.

Things just change a bit as you get older but au definitely know where you're coming from.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:22 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

being dead is more boring . lol
Old 11 January 2013, 07:33 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

dont think the present economic and social problems are helping either . i often think to myself that there must be more to life but then i try to put myself in other countries with widespread famine and war (caused by whatever reason). it helps .
Old 11 January 2013, 08:09 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

In 2011 I was a settled-down 60 year old and I had achieved so many highs in my life. In 2012 my life had changed completely and the events of the year all came to their conclusion in November.
I am now 62, fully independent, debt free and after taking stock of my life I am now making a bucket list (things to do before I die). I don't intend to stagnate as I was doing in my comfort zone, I intend to get motivated.

I had to sell my house and had the horrible task of deciding what stuff to keep and what stuff to dump..a lifetime of memories needed sorting.
I kept hold of some momentos of things that I had done with the intention of possibly rekindling the interest.
Apart from family life, the biggest highlights of my life were all related to volunteer work, that's something that I intend to get into again.
I do have my own business and can be flexible with the hours that I work so that I can fit in volunteering at almost any time of the day.

I would suggest that you get into volunteering, maybe to pass on some of your knowledge and skills or to find new interests.

Hospitals, National Trust etc are always looking for volunteers.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/get-...why-volunteer/

Another suggestion is to join a society or club where you can take part in activities.

Make a list of things that you have been interested in or would like to be interested in and get on the internet and do some research to find out if anything new catches your eye.

I am seriously thinking of getting a Subaru again, I miss my old Wagon, it was the highlight of my motoring life, I've had hundreds of cars and non of them gave me the thrill that I got when driving the Subaru.
Old 11 January 2013, 09:21 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Things change, I was stuck in a rut for quite a while but really everything was pretty good, plenty of social life, fast car (Scoob) etc. then I met my missus.....

Didn't think things would change so quick but before I knew it we had bought our first house together, got married, and then first baby on its way. Having the boy changed my life massively, if I'm honest I was ****ting myself, I don't particularly like kids especially little ones, never felt comfortable with other peoples, but what I realise now is having your own is so different. I couldn't imagine a life now with out our little lad, never a day goes by where we don't have a laugh, play fight, etc. And now we've got another on the way

What has changed for me a lot in the last 5-6 years is work, I did used to really enjoy it, but now the urge to get out of bed in the morning (on a weekday anyway) isn't as great. Part of it has to be me as I now see it as more of a means to an end i.e. earn money so I can enjoy it with my family, but there has been a big shift in the way we do things over the years and since being take over by a big multinational just over a year ago I can only see things getting worse. Doesn't get away from the fact that I'd rather be at home than here. Maybe I need to address that, i.e. change jobs, but the security offered by this one is hard to give up and the pay has gone up significantly after the take over, presumably to keep us all here else there wouldn't have been much point in buying us in the first place. It was the intellectual property they were after not our manufacturing etc. I'd probably have to take a pay cut to go anywhere else But the commute isn't bad and I get to go home at the end of each day
Old 11 January 2013, 09:59 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

5 kids ensures I don't get bored with life

and I still get a massive buzz out of Windsurfing (and Snowboarding)

had a great Windsurf on the 29th December down in Cornwall

you have to get a buzz -- otherwise you would not get changed into a wetsuite in a windy/cold car park and venture out into the steel grey Atlantic sea

and still really enjoy it!!!!

(it is always easier to say NO, in life)
Old 11 January 2013, 10:07 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Kids are mainly what keeps me smiling. Reaching them stuff, seeing them have fun, etc and so far, they seem to be doing well which is very satisfying.
Exactly that, the things that made me very excited as a kid are a joy to share with my kids, We had a bonfire the other week and spent the day chucking stuff on it to burn.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:09 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you need a young gold digging nymph, yeah shes only after your money (blow it all on cars ) but you aint gonna be bored lol
Old 11 January 2013, 10:15 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

When I go into schools etc to give my Antarctic lecture, I make sure that the kids know how dangerous it is, but I always say that if the chance to do it comes for them that they should grab it and go for it.

forgot to add I did the expedition at 50 and never done anything like it before!

Last edited by Ray T; 11 January 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:36 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by velohead66

Are these normal feelings, or should I be worried ?
I think it depends on the wider picture. If you just feel a bit bored now and then that's normal but if it's an everyday lethargy with life then it's possible you could have depression in which case you're better off seeing your GP than asking on here.

Getting outside of your comfort zone is great for pepping up your life. I have vertigo and get dizzy if I stand on a chair so a few years back decided to take up climbing mountains/ fells as a hobby.
The buzz afterwards is fantastic (I won't say during as sometimes I'm nearly $hitting myself).
Old 11 January 2013, 10:51 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Imho life is exactly what you make it ... you can literately do anything you like as long as it's within the bounds of physics and legal! Make some changes if you're bored is my advice.

TX.
Old 11 January 2013, 10:57 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lydia touched on this in another thread. Possessions become less important, experiences and relationships more important. I'm still massively enthusiastic about a whole range of things, which i think helps. There are guys on here for whom cars are the be-all and end-all; i think it's potentially dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket like that, but you can't know how you'll feel when you're older when you're young.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Problem is that now I have nothing I want/desire that I cannot just go and buy outright.

That is my single most annoying thing about being old ....... the ability to buy anything I desire, yet no drive or urge to do so, as I have all I need.

With Interest Rates so low, £100,000 turns just about £1,800 per year after tax, I want to spend and convert it into 'things'.
Old 11 January 2013, 01:02 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

You should never get bored of life, especially if the OP is in Australia.
We are not here a long time, so if there something you dont like, change it.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

So very bored with life at the minute, infact I'm so bored that last Sunday I went to church for the first time in about 15years. Kinda glad I did too.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:31 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Theres always cocaine, that ***** guaranteed to pick you up
Old 11 January 2013, 09:30 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean Mr Lewis, I had an elderly client worth well over a million and would stand in the rain waiting for a bus when she could have had a chauffeur driven limo. Go figure
Old 12 January 2013, 06:34 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
There are other things. Like for example cars, football etc? Do you lke those?
Used to really enjoy cars, used to go to car shows in th 1980's (NEC & Earls Court), used to watch WRC and F1 (Been to Rally NZ , and British GP) , and still have the scooby (albeit very moded) 11 years after purchase. But I feel a bit over cars now, can't explain it really.

Originally Posted by lordharding
What inspires me now that I've retirement from general management working towards my last few years before retirement is voluntary work
I would love (at some stage of life) to do voluntry work somewhere in Africa, maybe a month here, and a month there. My wife, too - as she suggested it.
But with current finances, this is a few years off - unfortunately.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:40 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
dont think the present economic and social problems are helping either . i often think to myself that there must be more to life .....
story of my life !

Originally Posted by Graz
What has changed for me a lot in the last 5-6 years is work, I did used to really enjoy it, but now the urge to get out of bed in the morning (on a weekday anyway) isn't as great.
I really used to enjoy work, but each year just grinds me down a little more.
But I recognise that my current work place is NOT doing me any favours whatsoever !
Old 12 January 2013, 06:42 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you need a young gold digging nymph, yeah shes only after your money (blow it all on cars ) but you aint gonna be bored lol
Maybe this is what i need, LOL.

Reminds me of Georgie Best - "spent all my money on fast cars, fast women, drugs and alcohol, the rest i just wasted"

LOL
Old 12 January 2013, 06:49 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
When I go into schools etc to give my Antarctic lecture, I make sure that the kids know how dangerous it is, but I always say that if the chance to do it comes for them that they should grab it and go for it.

forgot to add I did the expedition at 50 and never done anything like it before!

I would love to go to Antartica, my wife too.
Vey expensive, but the trip would be truely awesome.
I hope one day to have done that.

Originally Posted by Lydia72
a few years back decided to take up climbing mountains/ fells as a hobby.
The buzz afterwards is fantastic (I won't say during as sometimes I'm nearly $hitting myself).
I used to LOVE alpine climbing in the European alps, Canonix, Zermat et al.
But that is now a "past life" as it was quite technical and dangerous, but the whole experience was one of the best, even just sitting at a refuge with a french beer enjoying the crisp air, and wide view that a camera could just capture a tenth of.

Used to love alpine skiing too, maybe that is something I could rekindle, albeit at a slower pace / lower level.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:56 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

My last post - you guys are 12 hrs ahead/behind - did not expect so many posts.

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I think it depends on the wider picture. If you just feel a bit bored now and then that's normal but if it's an everyday lethargy with life then it's possible you could have depression in which case you're better off seeing your GP than asking on here..
Think I was depressed at some stage (a few moths ago), but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Everyone's posts (and I mean EVERYONE'S) has lifted my spirits.

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Lydia touched on this in another thread. Possessions become less important, experiences and relationships more important.
Yes, this is definately my feelings now, perhaps I was too caught up on possessons/experiences, but people are right there at the top, now.

Thanks everyone for posting.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is perfectly normal that as you get used to happenings or occasions then the surprise factor weakens and you tend not to get wound up as much as you might have done when it was all comparatively new.

As you find new things to do etc. than the earlier feelings may return,to an extent anyway.

It would be a particularly stupid thing to try using drugs in an attempt to make your life more exciting. It would be the top of the slippery slope to personal disaster of course.

Les

Quick Reply: Bored With Life ???