Shotgun certificate / licence

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2013, 10:11 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun certificate / licence

I'm thinking of sending in an application for a shotgun licence

But now some folk have got me worried , I had a run in 17 years ago and got a fine for section 5 public order offence ( using threatening , insulting and / or abusive behaviour ) nothing's changed there then lol

Some have said it will go against me others have said it won't
Have any licences holders on here had any experience of similar situations
Old 10 January 2013, 10:13 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

They don't need them in Huddersfield
Old 10 January 2013, 10:17 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
They don't need them in Huddersfield
Or tax , mot , or driving licences come to that
Old 10 January 2013, 10:32 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

any convictions will come up during the check made wen applying for fire arms certificate, and you generaly have to have a reason to own one, i.e pest control, member of a gun club, sporting etc
gave my licence up and put all the guns onto my old mans licence as i never used them any more, so if u fan c a nice barretta auto let me know lol
Old 10 January 2013, 10:49 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

It'll come up but I doubt it would count against you. Just be honest about it when asked. Bet you were young when it happened? They take it all into account.

More important is that you can demonstrate a good reason for owning.
Old 10 January 2013, 10:49 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
any convictions will come up during the check made wen applying for fire arms certificate, and you generaly have to have a reason to own one, i.e pest control, member of a gun club, sporting etc
gave my licence up and put all the guns onto my old mans licence as i never used them any more, so if u fan c a nice barretta auto let me know lol
I'm just getting into clays , a couple of guys I work with shoot game and 1 said you might find it difficult the other said it won't matter

Strange you should say barretta , I was thinking about an A400 auto ( licence permitting )
Old 10 January 2013, 10:55 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

autos are good, but dont turn up to a posh estate to shoot pheasant as they will look down at you unless you have side by side lol

the barretta is a good gun, multi choke too!

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2013, 10:58 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a reason to own a shotgun although some police forces will try to insist upon it, but they have no legal right to require this. If you can't be bothered with confrontation join the CPSA or BASC first. The police can insist on a gun cabinet although again they have no right to do so, but it's commonsense to have one so no problem there. Your minor offence will have no influence on your application. You will need your application endorsed by an upright member of society (lawyer, solicitor, accountant, company director etc) plus some pics, your payment and you're away.
Old 10 January 2013, 10:59 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
It'll come up but I doubt it would count against you. Just be honest about it when asked. Bet you were young when it happened? They take it all into account.

More important is that you can demonstrate a good reason for owning.
The offence was for making a w****r gesture , so it wasn't the threatening part ( don't know if that would be taken into account or just the offence as a whole )

I would have thought if you attend a couple of clay shooting clubs that it would be a good enough reason wouldn't it ?
Old 10 January 2013, 11:01 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver
autos are good, but dont turn up to a posh estate to shoot pheasant as they will look down at you unless you have side by side lol

the barretta is a good gun, multi choke too!
No clay only mate , don't like rabbit or game and you can't shoot burgers lol
Old 10 January 2013, 11:03 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
You don't need a reason to own a shotgun although some police forces will try to insist upon it, but they have no legal right to require this. If you can't be bothered with confrontation join the CPSA or BASC first. The police can insist on a gun cabinet although again they have no right to do so, but it's commonsense to have one so no problem there. Your minor offence will have no influence on your application. You will need your application endorsed by an upright member of society (lawyer, solicitor, accountant, company director etc) plus some pics, your payment and you're away.
That's good , so in your opinion you don't think my minor offence will scupper my application
Old 10 January 2013, 11:11 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toneh
I'm just getting into clays , a couple of guys I work with shoot game and 1 said you might find it difficult the other said it won't matter

Strange you should say barretta , I was thinking about an A400 auto ( licence permitting )
Toneh, have you looked at the Browning Maxus or Winchester SX3 as well? Both have extremely good reviews on all gun sites.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:17 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Browning ultra xs here. Fantastic bit of kit.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:20 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Assuming you satisfy other criteria your previous misdemeanor will not go against you. The police are rightly concerned that you are not buying a gun for 'home defense' so join the CPSA if you're going clay shooting.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:24 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

ye i gave my dad my winchester pump action! it was awesome lol
Old 10 January 2013, 11:24 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Toneh, have you looked at the Browning Maxus or Winchester SX3 as well? Both have extremely good reviews on all gun sites.
I've not really had a good look tbh , didnt want to get my hopes up ,the only reason I looked at beretta is one of the guys I know has one and he said its been a nice reliable gun
And I think I would prefer synthetic stock like the A400 especially keeping it clean and tidy I would imagine its a little more durable
Soon as I get my cert sorted I can get looking
Old 10 January 2013, 11:29 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Assuming you satisfy other criteria your previous misdemeanor will not go against you. The police are rightly concerned that you are not buying a gun for 'home defense' so join the CPSA if you're going clay shooting.
Will do , thanks for the advice
Old 10 January 2013, 11:34 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Paben,

I would suggest that not having a reason to own a shotgun plus not demonstrating your ability to keep a shotgun and cartridges safely will result in your application being turned down, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it.

Of course, also depends which police force covers you. When I was in Worcestershire (West Mercia), my rifles and shotguns took forever to get licences, plus renewals were always a pain even for the shotguns (used to shoot clay and practical). Police chap who used to come around for inspection used to hate (it was that bad) my Mossberg 500.

When I moved to Gloucestershire, rifles were straightforward even the unusual ones (Sako TRGs) and shotguns were "yeah, fine". Even ammo amounts were not an issue, e.g. .338 Lapau is much cheaper bulk but was too much ammo for West Mercia.

Long ago though, gave it all up six years ago, so I'm not that current.

Last edited by IWatkins; 10 January 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:40 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

As daft as it might sound I also had slight concerns that I live in Nottingham ( it's not got the best name for gun incidents) I know the majority are illegal guns but I'm wondering if it might be one of the stricter areas for obtaining a cert
The guys I know have had Certs for years and have been told that even if they don't intend on shooting renew it anyway because its becoming harder each year
Old 10 January 2013, 11:52 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

You're right on both counts but the police actually have no right to insist on either. However I agree that it's not the best idea to take the police on which is why I suggested getting a gun cabinet and joining the CPSA. Toneh will be fine.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:04 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Indeed CPSA is a great idea.
Old 11 January 2013, 08:10 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I live near Gloucester and when I applied for my firearms certificate and shotgun section (2), I got the general impression that they seemed a little more forgiving and relaxed about it. Probably because there's a lot of farmers down here, and me being one made it even easier.
Old 11 January 2013, 11:09 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Just a note (as it came to light on my interview), if you have had any dealings with the police even if you were not charged with anything, list them as they will know about them too.
Old 11 January 2013, 02:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It depends on your area really. Some police forces are more relaxed than others. I heard horror stories that they were strict about having a securely fitted safe and things like trying to wrestle it off the wall. FEO who did my house inspection and interview just looked in the cupboard and didn’t even touch it. Safe could have been leant against the wall.

Unless things have changed since I applied then (as was said above) you don’t need to give a reason to own a shotgun. The police have to find a reason you shouldn’t. Vice versa for FAC where you have to provide a legitimate reason to own one i.e. member of a firearms club.

I would suggest you just call up your local FEO and check. You don’t have to give your details over just ask what their view is and whether they would recommend you made an application.

Beretta is a good choice. If you go semi auto please make sure you use a safety flag to show your breech is clear. Gets on my goat at clay shoots when people swing them around without one.