Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any point in a tax disc?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2013, 02:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default any point in a tax disc?

Time for a second sensible question of the day, duck me 2013 is looking sensible already lol

why do we have a tax disk in our cars?

you can get done for not displaying it, yet the police use the national computer to check for a valid disk, anpr uses number plates, insurers check online, etc etc

so whats the point? does anyone actualy use it anymore?

especialy given MOT certs are just printed sheets and info stored online as well now.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they can fine us for non display?

TX.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
So they can fine us for non display?

TX.
there is that lol

but ignoring that, whats the point in the first place?
Old 10 January 2013, 03:12 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

It's so plod on the street can check as not everyone has access to anpr. Also, the data base for tax does not update instantaneously.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leeds_182
It's so plod on the street can check as not everyone has access to anpr. Also, the data base for tax does not update instantaneously.

theres a whole underground industry selling dodgy tax disks for this reason, so would make the crime obselete.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Tidgy is absolutely spot on with this. I think it's Aus that have just done away with it as like Tidgy says it's all on computer anyway.

Should be on fuel anyway, but that is another story!
Old 10 January 2013, 03:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i never display mine in my Caterham (for the last 3 odd years)

keep it pinned on the notice board in the kitchen

never been a problem

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2013, 03:26 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

They were talking about scrapping them recently: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...digitised.html
Old 10 January 2013, 03:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

holy **** i did have a sensible thought then

well, thats the one for this year,,, hahahahaha
Old 10 January 2013, 03:40 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
theres a whole underground industry selling dodgy tax disks for this reason, so would make the crime obselete.
But what if you bought your tax and drove out. Cop stops you and the computer says no tax as the computer has not updated. What happens then as you have no proof there that the car has tax.

Just a hypothetical situation.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We do not have them over here, we have state stickers on our number plates that are issued by the council, so the police can tell at a glance if the car is taxed, insured and MOT'd.

Not sure how it works but it does. We also do not get counterfeit plates as all plates need to be issued by the council and get these stickers put on.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You can already drive for a short period after expiry of your old disc provided the new one has been applied for online.
Old 10 January 2013, 03:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

In this day and age, it's a bit poor that a central database can't instantaneously reflect a purchase of tax or the acquisition of an MOT. If the computers could be guaranteed good enough, there'd be no need for the paperwork at all.

And scum who deliberately swerve either i would ban from driving for 3 years first offence, life thereafter.

Last edited by TelBoy; 10 January 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 04:02 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

never been a problem
This made me laugh system is working then!

TX.
Old 10 January 2013, 04:22 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

im sure you now get a 5 day period, if you buy online for it to be delivered? is that wrong?

but yet you can still get a fine for not displaying it? i agree do away with it, then the counterfeight issue goes and some money could be saved from not having to print them out, pay for new designs ect and on delivery costs, which nation wide id imagine would be quite high

infact ive got my v11 form here as tax is due, it says if you buy online, you have an extre 5 working days to display your old disc, if you bought the new one online on or before the 31st jan
Old 10 January 2013, 04:23 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

never been a problem
You a blatchatter?
Old 10 January 2013, 04:27 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I forgot to put the new disc in a couple of years ago, so was still displaying an out of date disc. Must of been a couple of months before someone pointed it out to me.

This is a car that is driven into London most days and parked up on the street.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:23 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
In this day and age, it's a bit poor that a central database can't instantaneously reflect a purchase of tax or the acquisition of an MOT. If the computers could be guaranteed good enough, there'd be no need for the paperwork at all.

And scum who deliberately swerve either i would ban from driving for 3 years first offence, life thereafter.
I'm not sure if the situation has changed since, but up until two and a bit years ago certainly, there were still a few smaller post office branches around that could issue tax discs but weren't connected to the central DVLA computer at all, so obviously all the paperwork for their discs had to be submitted to Swansea in hard copy by post.

Edit:
That's still no reason why display of a paper disc should be compulsory for everyone who bought their tax from a larger, computerized post office branch, or online.

Last edited by markjmd; 10 January 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10 January 2013, 05:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy

i am sure it is instantaneous (to plod anyway)

any "delay" will be a self imposed administrative one

I believe VOSA – sit outside (suspected dodgy) MOT stations and monitor the MOT submissions to the central database

They then will arrive at the garage within a few minutes and ask to see the car

This will obviously cause problems for MOT testers who test cars "in absentia”

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 January 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:49 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

i am sure it is instantaneous (to plod anyway)

any "delay" will be a self imposed administrative one

I believe VOSA – sit outside (suspected dodgy) MOT stations and monitor the MOT submissions to the central database

They then will arrive at the garage within a few minutes and ask to see the car

This will obviously cause problems for MOT testers who test cars "in absentia”
i know this isnt the case for insurance,

i renewed online - or just let it continue, and was pulled over for no insurance,

started sh*tting myself, did i tick a wrong box, or was i meant to do something on the email - but no it just says if you do nothing it will simply carry on as before.

the cops pulled me said would impound my car if wasnt insured - i protested that "i thought id renewed" lol - the confidence draining from me lol.

anyway dragged in there car, run a check on me and car - turns out i am insured - but sometimes it can take days for the details to become visable on the system. they said the camera they ave on there car has limited database which said i had no insurance!!

then they radio through to main place who run a check on the super-duper system and that one ok'd me, phew - one of those moments of doubt lol
Old 11 January 2013, 09:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It is indeed a redundant system and should be done away with. The ant-counterfeit printing is costly, then there's the postal notifications, distribution, payment, Post Office involvement, and time wasted enforcing such a trivial and unnecessary thing. We already have the perfect system for taxing people whom drive high miles or heavily polluting vehicles, because those people inherently buy more fuel and thus pay the pro-rata duty on that. Scrap it altogether !!!!
Old 11 January 2013, 09:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
then they radio through to main place who run a check on the super-duper system and that one ok'd me, phew - one of those moments of doubt lol
but this sort of proves my point -- technically it is instantaneous - to the main database

they obviously have imposed some sort of administrative "delay" by checking a subset of the database

maybe they have to wait until the payment clears or summin
Old 11 January 2013, 10:03 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If we all purchased them online then it would be easy, the problem is a lot are still hand written in all the post offices,
it does make you wonder why they give you a producer if you dont have your paperwork, as long as you can prove your who you say you are all the information should be available within seconds to them, most traffic cops know before they even ask yet still issues a producer.
Old 11 January 2013, 04:08 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

but this sort of proves my point -- technically it is instantaneous - to the main database

they obviously have imposed some sort of administrative "delay" by checking a subset of the database

maybe they have to wait until the payment clears or summin
to me it seems theyd used 2 seperate data bases, the one on there vehicle was not the best one - as it flagged me uninsured - but the one at headquarters was up to date and had me clear? is that what they have.

i asked the copper why there one had me flagged and they kindof put the blame on the insurance companies for not updating my details as quick as they should, dont know how much truth in that?
Old 11 January 2013, 04:29 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

You've got to love how you get a tax reminder = money but not an MOT reminder = Saftey..... Funny that.

My mate has just started a new job removing untaxed cars, he loves it as he says just pay your tax like we all do, every car he picks up has run out of tax by over 62 days and is still on a public highway.
Old 11 January 2013, 05:05 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If they were done away with, it would mean there was less work for DVLA, which would be unpopular with the government as they would have to cut jobs.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons they've never put the duty on fuel instead, which is of course a completely sensible idea, as then no-one could evade it.
Old 12 January 2013, 12:21 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just been looking at my local dealer website from where i bought my last car,thought i'd see what wrx sti are going about, example 61 plate 2.5 saloon for £23,995
Then i scrolled down to running costs TAX band L £445.00

The legacy tourers seem appealing though,£190.00 Tax which is what i'm paying around now

Last edited by DYK; 12 January 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:11 PM
Mike GT
Scooby Regular

I agree with others that it should be added to our fuel price, it's quick, simple and free's up the plod, to do real policing. It would also mean that those who use the roads more ie salesmen pay there fair share...

I mean why should ( example ) my boss who has a new 1 series diesel pays only £35 per year road tax and covers 25k miles + per year, yet i pay £240 for a 16 year old wrx wagon and only cover between 5k to 10k absoloute tops tops..

At the end of the day we both have an engine, 4 wheels, use the same roads, clog up roads, get stuck in traffic jams etc etc and we both release exhaust emissions. Granted i will produce more on the same distance covered, but if he does 3 times my milage per annum, then it kinda evens itself out, as far as emissions are concerned, right ? But yet not the price.

Added to the fuel price, is a fair way to do it, and stop this b*llocks of displying the tax disc......were in the 21st century for god sake.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

never been a problem
I think you have been lucky so far.

What will you say to the magistrate if you do get summonsed though?

Les
Old 12 January 2013, 02:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

les,

I would say, my car is taxed and it is pinned to the notice board in the kitchen for safety

Then I would say it has been stolen twice before, and I have had to, not only pay for a replacement but also queue up in the "local" DVLA office (with the rest of eastern Europe) for the pleasure of replacing it.

Both times the police had my tax disk in their possession - but needed it for evidence

The I would shout to the magistrate "you're a fvcking wank3r", and "you won't break me" as I was lead to the cells in chains

But the chances of it coming to that are virtually Zero

Out of interest to motorbike riders still display their tax disk

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 12 January 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: any point in a tax disc?