Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

home blood pressure monitors

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2013, 11:39 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home blood pressure monitors

ive had one before and used regularly - but im a bit worried im using it wrongly.

just how tight should the arm band be? often mine which is velcro attached, can be heard tearing the velcro apart. should that happen - and y arma can be really pulsing after taking a reading.

does it matter, will over or undertightening it give an inaccurate reading - or make little differance.

i must say i just make sure no slack - then a wee nip and proceed and tbh i get consistant readings, but ive never tightened right up or left slack - but sometimes my arms pulsing after it, and other times its not?
Old 09 January 2013, 10:32 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It shouldn't be on tight, just enough for it to not slide off your arm. Your arm will pulse as the heart tries to pump the blood through the constriction. Do it at consistent time of the day, ideally before food and intake of caffeine as your blood pressure varies though out the day.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just make it a firm fit without it having to be overtightened. The machine will still measure the BP according to what your pulse is doing as the pressure is applied and reduced by the machine.

Les
Old 09 January 2013, 04:24 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

thanks, yeah im aware of most of the does and donts regarding eating drinking, excersise - ect and staying consistant with times, but thankyou,
ok so any reading wouldnt really be affected if it was overtight, obv not tighten right up using all the force you could muster, but say it was tighter than a doc would do it - the readings would stay the same?

also while im doing mine and my wifes, my son will not doubt be interested, hes 5, the band will be too big for him, but its not dangerous or anything to let him have a wee shot with it?
Old 10 January 2013, 02:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I would not overtighten it, that could possibly make a difference to the reading, just a reasonably firm but not uncomfortable fit should do it well enough.

Les