Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Don't let anyone sit in your car after an accident...

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2013, 07:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't let anyone sit in your car after an accident...

'Neck ache'.....FFS!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339
Old 08 January 2013, 07:32 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

that's crazy!!
Old 08 January 2013, 07:39 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon the words neck and pain mentioned,game over....
Old 08 January 2013, 07:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Old News also this one has been around for some time.

And i bet they walked out of A&E a few hours later lol

Mart
Old 08 January 2013, 07:43 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe dragging them out would have happened if that was me. there isnt a chance in hell my scooby roof would have been cut after they walked to the car and climbed in
Old 08 January 2013, 09:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I bet the victims were of the Asian variety
Old 08 January 2013, 11:22 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx
i believe dragging them out would have happened if that was me. there isnt a chance in hell my scooby roof would have been cut after they walked to the car and climbed in
^^^^^^^^ Like he said ^^^^^^^

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2013, 11:35 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ouch!! lesson learnt there,

but if a casualty at an RTC complains of neck soreness or back pain the worst has to be presumed - so the focus is on removing the casualty with the least disruption/movement of the head and spine. the tactics taught at RTA are designed with "space creation" in mind to remove them with as little movementas possible, as protecting the spine is considered paramount - after maintaining an airway.

if that means they have to come out on a spinal board, with the roof rem,oved from the car, so be it - although generally it will be after a paramedics initial assessment of the casualties injury and the likely risk of further injury if the procedusre is not followed- remeber the worst case can mean someone ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of there life.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:36 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Apparently the Ambulance & fire service tried for an hour and a half to get them out... But gave up.... I reckon i'd have got them out quick enough! Lol.

And your right i bet they did walk out of A&E an hour later, as most of these 'spinal' injuries do!

Is it just me or do the emergency services seem to have gone completely bonkers OTT on all this neck stuff in the last 5 years?
Old 08 January 2013, 11:38 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Was only a Vectra after all.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:39 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Apparently the Ambulance & fire service tried for an hour and a half to get them out... But gave up.... I reckon i'd have got them out quick enough! Lol.

And your right i bet they did walk out of A&E an hour later, as most of these 'spinal' injuries do!

Is it just me or do the emergency services seem to have gone completely bonkers OTT on all this neck stuff in the last 5 years?
And you wouldn't cover your own *** with all these no win no fee solicitors around??

Where there's blame, there's a claim!!
Old 08 January 2013, 11:43 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I think if someone did that to me/my car then walked out of A&E half an hour or so later they would most probably find themselfs back in it being a genuine case.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
And you wouldn't cover your own *** with all these no win no fee solicitors around??

Where there's blame, there's a claim!!
Thats whats wrong with this country now, too much of that p1sh going about.
Old 08 January 2013, 11:54 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Oh yes!!
Old 09 January 2013, 12:08 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
exactly!! and its what influences tactical decisions and in this case and many others, how the casualty is removed.

if at the scene said look the driver is loosing a lot of blood and there is a high risk of a fatality as such, the person would likely be pulled from the car to be treated - albeit gently as possible and with the most care given the time scale indicated. 5 mins and this man will b dead, guy would be pulled out instantly (but stil with care as to try minimise risk of further injury.

now if paramedics turn up, assess, and say no immediate risk of dying, casualty complaining of neck/back pain, pins and needles in a leg, but with just minor cuts/contusions considered not life threatening then the casualty will be romoved with the upmost of care. the vehicle would be stabilised to provide a solid, non moving platform and adjusted as the vehicle weight changes, as priority. a memeber of emergency services would be tasked with applying a stiff neck collar and then supporting the head to prevent a c spine injury or agrrevation of a current injury.
then a technique would be devised (usually at the vehicles demise) on how to remove said person with minimum disruption to there spine - remove roof, both doors, boot ect, anything atall that would impede on a smooth removal of a casualty from the vehicle - now this may seem overkill to some - to others that have been through it, a blessing as they can still walk ect.

but the driving force here dont let anyone kid you is fear of litigation (thankyou mr usa lawyer) - the tiniest slip from protocol or procedure - combined with a casualty wishing and being urged by lawyers to "cash in" and you can see who the fall guy is.

its total bullsh*t imo, an emergency situations treating being almost directly based on the fear of being sued- and so we end up with wht we have today - the same in many other sectors - over sensitive helth and saftey, ridiculous bearaucrocy, red tape to be jumped through ect. the only good thing is by and large the systems developed do help the casualty mostly -although we have seen evidence where it does the exact opposite (remeber the girl dying down the well) and several other incidents - all caused by fear of litigation/liability. situation made by greedy lawyers and greedy people willing to get maximum finacial gain at any expense. sad
Old 09 January 2013, 12:14 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blah blah blah......

convertible scooby! thats the ****ing end of that.
Old 09 January 2013, 12:31 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I read some time ago that the police would not let casualties sit in their cars, just in case of such an incident. If its good enough for them then it's good enough for me.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:43 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hmm, strange when this happened to me in February 2011 after my little Peugeot was written off, they didn't chop the roof off the Police car I was sitting in.

Car gets crashed into. Nasty incident and quite a collision. Mrs is 37 weeks pregnant at the time, so I go into autopilot and make sure she's ok. Ambulance comes, whiskes her away and Police turn up. I give details and all that jazz, the adrenaline kicks out and I'm all stiffened up. Ambulance then called for me (against my wishes but Policeman doing what he HAS to by law he claims), ambulance turns up and they just ask me to clamber out the car
Old 09 January 2013, 06:49 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i cant believe the insurance companies havent developed a test for whiplash yet, if some money was put into a bit of research surely they could prove it one way or another. i think they want it as it is now because basically the money for it all comes from us and feeds them and the solicitors.
Old 09 January 2013, 09:02 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I've been working on a motorsport rescue unit for about 16 years now and this is bread and butter to me. I've had people with major spinal injuries and others with minor soft tissue damage and bruising and they can all show virtually identical symptoms so who here is going to make the decision NOT to take every care possible?

Us at play doing a demo for the FIA at the GT1 race at Donington last year.

And yes we got the driver out WITHOUT cutting the car up.
Old 09 January 2013, 09:45 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
exactly!! and its what influences tactical decisions and in this case and many others, how the casualty is removed.

if at the scene said look the driver is loosing a lot of blood and there is a high risk of a fatality as such, the person would likely be pulled from the car to be treated - albeit gently as possible and with the most care given the time scale indicated. 5 mins and this man will b dead, guy would be pulled out instantly (but stil with care as to try minimise risk of further injury.

now if paramedics turn up, assess, and say no immediate risk of dying, casualty complaining of neck/back pain, pins and needles in a leg, but with just minor cuts/contusions considered not life threatening then the casualty will be romoved with the upmost of care. the vehicle would be stabilised to provide a solid, non moving platform and adjusted as the vehicle weight changes, as priority. a memeber of emergency services would be tasked with applying a stiff neck collar and then supporting the head to prevent a c spine injury or agrrevation of a current injury.
then a technique would be devised (usually at the vehicles demise) on how to remove said person with minimum disruption to there spine - remove roof, both doors, boot ect, anything atall that would impede on a smooth removal of a casualty from the vehicle - now this may seem overkill to some - to others that have been through it, a blessing as they can still walk ect.

but the driving force here dont let anyone kid you is fear of litigation (thankyou mr usa lawyer) - the tiniest slip from protocol or procedure - combined with a casualty wishing and being urged by lawyers to "cash in" and you can see who the fall guy is.

its total bullsh*t imo, an emergency situations treating being almost directly based on the fear of being sued- and so we end up with wht we have today - the same in many other sectors - over sensitive helth and saftey, ridiculous bearaucrocy, red tape to be jumped through ect. the only good thing is by and large the systems developed do help the casualty mostly -although we have seen evidence where it does the exact opposite (remeber the girl dying down the well) and several other incidents - all caused by fear of litigation/liability. situation made by greedy lawyers and greedy people willing to get maximum finacial gain at any expense. sad
Good Post... +1 to all sentiments
Old 09 January 2013, 11:33 AM
Scoobyshaz87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I bet the victims were of the Asian variety
Are you seriously taking the ****?!!
Old 09 January 2013, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only thing I can think of is to sue the authorities who were responsible for the decision to cut the roof off.

Les
Old 09 January 2013, 02:58 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Only thing I can think of is to sue the authorities who were responsible for the decision to cut the roof off.

Les
The decision to cut the roof off would have been made by the Paramedic on scene.
Old 09 January 2013, 03:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Then perhap's the medical authorities should count it as part of the medical costs incurred during the rescue.

Les
Old 09 January 2013, 03:04 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Then perhap's the medical authorities should count it as part of the medical costs incurred during the rescue.

Les
In this case the Paramedic didn't sit the people in the womans car so they can't be blamed for the consequences.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Les
thus reducing an already tight finacial system even further, which could result in a reduction in casualty care - what if that was your son, brother wife ect - would you think the same?
whats most likely is were edging ever closer to the us method of medical insurance - admittadley this is a bit of a strange case, i wouodnt imagine is seen too often.

but garunteed whatever the otcome the woman whos car was destroyed wont do it again, and possibly be afraid of even helping someone again - if it means they incur a finacial penalty.

as it stands the women had good intentions, but shouldnt have let them sit in her car, she thought was doing the right thing - and so would most people. imagine if was snowing, p*ssing down ect ect - youd offer shelter right away if the person seemed ok at the time. - its looking like the best option would be to not help, or have the patient sit or lie somewhere of there choosing, except your car, and all you can do is offer them a blanket or whatever you have. again a sh*te situation.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:31 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

It is a little more common than you'd think. I have a few sets of photo's of Police cars that have suffered the same fate.

No sniggering.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...olice-car.html
Old 09 January 2013, 04:34 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
its looking like the best option would be to not help, or have the patient sit or lie somewhere of there choosing, except your car, and all you can do is offer them a blanket or whatever you have.
I think people would help out anyway and human nature means that even those reading this and saying "I'll be damned if they sit in my car" would help out.

Otherwise the logical end point to this is simply when you see an accident drive straight on because otherwise any help you give can come back to bite you personally.

While the medical profession weren't not directly responsible I think it should be something they step up to and help resolve. A collective responsibility of society - otherwise I have to wonder why my taxes are going to help fat smokers not get off their ***** and go get fit instead of causing a burden on the health service - after all I'm not to blame right?
Old 09 January 2013, 04:38 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

My personal advice would be that if you do have to let someone sit in your car, make sure it's in the back and don't let them put there legs in the car!!

But.............Don't blame me if you end up with a convertible.

Quick Reply: Don't let anyone sit in your car after an accident...