Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2012, 11:03 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So misguided

I'm hard put to think of anything sadder or more misguided than this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20779388

I am old enough to remember when polio was still around in this country.

dl
Old 19 December 2012, 11:16 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I agree. It doesn't take much of an 'un-effort' like described in that link to put Polio right up there globally again.

Someone else misguided is the stupid wench that will see her son die because of her belief that homeopathic remedies will cure him of a brain tumour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-opinion.html
Old 19 December 2012, 11:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
I agree. It doesn't take much of an 'un-effort' like described in that link to put Polio right up there globally again.

Someone else misguided is the stupid wench that will see her son die because of her belief that homeopathic remedies will cure him of a brain tumour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-opinion.html

On reflection I suppose there are other instances where stupidity - and that's being nice - prevents the elimination of disease and results in death.

The catholic church's stance against using condoms to slow down the spread of aids is a prime example and even the Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to use blood in operations. I am sure there are many others.

dl
Old 19 December 2012, 11:46 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
On reflection I suppose there are other instances where stupidity - and that's being nice - prevents the elimination of disease and results in death.

The catholic church's stance against using condoms to slow down the spread of aids is a prime example and even the Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to use blood in operations. I am sure there are many others.

dl
It just goes on and on........
Old 19 December 2012, 12:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
even the Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to use blood in operations
i had an argument about that, when asked why that was the case he said 'it is because its a persons life force' i then said, 'well surley in that case there is no greater sacrefice to help another?' not seen him since then, was it somethign i said?

on the origional thread subject, stupid isn't, have they ever actualy given a reason why they wont allow imunisation?
Old 19 December 2012, 12:27 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ideology, religion and the backward nature of the people. Sad.
Old 19 December 2012, 12:54 PM
goatblower
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBC News
There has been opposition to such immunisation drives in parts of Pakistan, particularly after a fake CIA hepatitis vaccination campaign helped to locate Osama Bin Laden in 2011.
I blame America!

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2012, 12:57 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

It is sad indeed. The Talibans apparent justification is that the CIA used a fake vaccine thingy to find out where OBL was hiding therefore anyone carrying out any aid work 'must' be part of the CIA.

I see already posted... oops
Old 19 December 2012, 12:59 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but with the above list of

"The catholic church's stance against using condoms to slow down the spread of aids is a prime example and even the Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to use blood in operations. I am sure there are many others."

The Jehovas witnesses have developed a machine called a cell saver, which takes the usually wasted "dirty" blood, cleans it and then feeds it back into the patient.

This isn't always a remedy, and people can still die, but atleast they are trying to develop modern technology to make their beliefs practical, and the machine could be used in trauma situations in field hospitals, as the availability of plasma or blood would be seriously reduced esp during war.

And with the history of AIDS trasnfer in transfusions, along with hep B/C it could be argued that its prudent, but I don't personally agree with it.
Old 19 December 2012, 02:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

There was a lady on the news IIRC she was from a muslim background and she was going to die if she gave birth. She wanted an abortion to save her life and they (sorry don't know who they are) said she couldn't have it due to their religon.

I guess she did as she was alive on tv but this crap about polio vacine is barmy...
Old 19 December 2012, 02:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Old 19 December 2012, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I also remember when polio was going the rounds in this country. It is not something one would want to see again

These fellows are so silly to take such action and what a way to treat those who are trying to deal with the illness!

Les
Old 19 December 2012, 04:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
There was a lady on the news IIRC she was from a muslim background and she was going to die if she gave birth. She wanted an abortion to save her life and they (sorry don't know who they are) said she couldn't have it due to their religon.

I guess she did as she was alive on tv but this crap about polio vacine is barmy...

You may be thinking of the Indian women in Ireland who wanted an abortion as she was having a miscarriage. This was refused by doctors and she later died of septicaemia.

dl